Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Posting this over 112kbit/s connection using PDANet for Treo 650 Beta.

Bluetooth connection isn't working for me yet. I suspect the problem is that my bluetooth serial port(s) sit up high in the COM20s or COM30s. HotSync works on these high ports and I can see PDANet on my Treo 650 trying to connect (using a terminal emulator on my laptop), but PDANet on the laptop doesn't seem to like the high serial port. I get the following message:

Failed to open serial port COM35 (error=2), please make sure it is your Bluetooth Serial Port and it is available.
    So, for now it's cable only for me. I'm hoping for an update (Beta version 2) that supports high serial port numbers for bluetooth connection...soon.

Props to JuneFabrics.com!
    From the thread title, I thought maybe, finally, P1 admitted that the Treo 650 they just released was truly only a beta.

It seems we are all beta testers for the T650 now...at our cost.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cluemeister
    Search the message boards about a year ago, and you'll find people who have gotten into trouble with Sprint for excessively using their phones as modems. The combination of low phone usage and very high vision usage tipped them off.

So if you use it sparingly, and not as a full time replacement of your home internet provider, you should be fine. But beware that "unlimited vision" has some conditions attached to it in the Sprint contract.

FWIW,

Clue
    I've been using PDANet since the 300 then 600 and now 650 with unlimited vision. I wouldn't say that I constantly used it to the point of abusing my data connections with Sprint but there has been times when I would be connected for 3-4 hours at a time and I've never heard from Sprint.

I do remember reading the posts about a year ago from people who did hear from Sprint but it didn't keep me from changing my usage frequency of PDANet (which BTW, is IMO in the top 3 of must haves for any Treo device!!).
    As someone new to the Treo fold, stuff like this is new to me, and I appreciate the helpful posts.

So PDANet is developing something for the 650, but the Beta is out and seems functional already. Does it 'sneak through' BT DUN support out of the box, as it were? In other words, if I have a Treo 650, PDANet for 650 Beta, and a BT USB adapter for my laptop... am I good to go?

I don't plan on spending days, or even hours, using Sprint for web browsing - that's what WiFi at home is for! But, when stuck in an airport with no access and a real need to send one e-mail, this could be a godsend.
    Let me give everyone a couple of pointers when using Sprint Vision via PDA Net:

1.) Download Firefox Browser 1.0
    2.) After downloading Firefox download & install an extension called Ad Block
    3.) Next download & install an extension called Tweak Network Settings

Ad Block blocks the download of advertisements, including flash and pictures known to be linked to ad sites. Tweak network settings tweaks the browser config props to be more efficent. They both work awesome & the combination of the these 3 programs makes your surfing experience feel equivalent to Cable. It's really incredible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cluemeister
    Search the message boards about a year ago, and you'll find people who have gotten into trouble with Sprint for excessively using their phones as modems. The combination of low phone usage and very high vision usage tipped them off.

So if you use it sparingly, and not as a full time replacement of your home internet provider, you should be fine. But beware that "unlimited vision" has some conditions attached to it in the Sprint contract.

FWIW,

Clue

I use live Avantgo, internal web browsing and two email programs on my Treo internally constantly, probably dozens of megabytes a day. Between Snappermail to two personal POP accounts and NotifyLink to corporate GroupWise email (it auto pushes every work mail - and attachments are available), I'm a heavy Vision user even w/out the laptop connection. I think Sprint is prepared to handle a lot of Vision traffic and does not say anything about it. Besides, from what I understand, they have no way to really measure megabytes.

This program is a great addition to the Vison service. Only power users will get into it heavily, probably not 90% of Vision users. And with WiFi as an option for most laptop power users, it's not like you use it everyday.

Our server and DB administrators pop in via VPN into our corporate network and do support. They love it when they can handle an issue while at their kid's ballgame instead of staying home when on call rotation. I love being at a park or on the bus and being able to browse on my laptop or VPN into work. While WiFi has broader coverage now, you just don't have to worry about finding a hotspot with this type of connection.

PDANet fills the gap. A must have for power Net users.
    Thanks for the upddate on PDANet...I am sending this on my 650 through bluetooth over Vision.
    Quote Originally Posted by 4spammers
    Posting this over 112kbit/s connection using PDANet for Treo 650 Beta.

Bluetooth connection isn't working for me yet. I suspect the problem is that my bluetooth serial port(s) sit up high in the COM20s or COM30s. HotSync works on these high ports and I can see PDANet on my Treo 650 trying to connect (using a terminal emulator on my laptop), but PDANet on the laptop doesn't seem to like the high serial port. I get the following message:

So, for now it's cable only for me. I'm hoping for an update (Beta version 2) that supports high serial port numbers for bluetooth connection...soon.

Props to JuneFabrics.com!
    I don't remember what port it is, but I know the Users manual tells you which one to set it on.
    Quote Originally Posted by 4spammers
    Bluetooth connection isn't working for me yet. I suspect the problem is that my bluetooth serial port(s) sit up high in the COM20s or COM30s. HotSync works on these high ports
    It should use whatever the same Bluetooth serial port you specified for Hot Sync. PDA Net took over the specified serial port at startup and made it available for Hot Sync once I deselected Allow Bluetooth in the system tray icon menu.

One problem I had was trying to use IBM's version of Bluetooth manager while Windows XP's manager was also active. I ended up uninstalling the IBM software in favor of using Microsofts version, and then it started to work fine.
    I imagine that as bandwidth continues to get less expensive, Sprint will become less and less concerned about the relatively sane use of Vision. I imagine they keep the limitations in place so that they can go after people who truly abuse the service. Ultimately, anything that keeps people using their service is a good thing for a wireless provider right now...
    Last edited by wynand32; 11/21/2004 at 07:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rbright
    From the thread title, I thought maybe, finally, P1 admitted that the Treo 650 they just released was truly only a beta.

It seems we are all beta testers for the T650 now...at our cost.
    Shutup already, must you guys infect every thread with your negative opinions?
    I remember reading the posts about people being busted by Sprint for excessive data usage, but I never gave much thought to how true it was. I hope it is one of those urban legends.

I'm adding pda net to my list of must haves for the 650. Let's see, now we're up to bt headset (stereo if it exists), bt gps, pdanet, zlauncher, 1 GB card. And maybe a wireless/bt keyboard for good measure, now that docs to go is included.

Clue
    Just looked on June Fabric's site. I'm assuming PDAnet does not work with Mac's? as anyone had any luck?
    Did you have to pay for a new PDAnet license, or was it treated as an "upgrade" ?
    ttoppins wouldn't happen to be married to Julie...and be a doctor too...would he?

<><
    bolick
    tulsa
    All -

Longtime PDANet Treo 600 user here - now using PDANet via bluetooth on my 650 with my Sony Vaio TR1A Laptop with "stock" bluetooth built-in.

Although I can connect and maintain my connection for short-ish periods of time (10-15 minutes) I do get frequent disconnects from both:

- Serial port in use
    - Voicemail notifications

In addition, when trying to restart the connection I get frequent errors that cause me to have to restart the computer by forcing the power off since the errors prevent the laptop from restarting via the Start Menu option. Errors when trying to restart the connection include:

- "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services has encountered a problem and needs to close"
    - "USBMan has encountered a problem and needs to close"

* These 2 errors also (sometimes) leave the DUN connection icon in a "Connecting" state that can only be cleared by restarting the laptop.

I am running Windows XP with Service Pack 2 and utilizing the native bluetooth support in SP2. I will be submitting a bug report to Junefabrics but I wanted to see if any of you other users out there are encountering similar problems?

Let me know -- I am interested in hearing!

Regards,
    Aaron
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12