Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    To all of the people who want a solution to the 650 memory utilization issue:

Clearly the acceptance of this product is important to the company. The Buzz about this product is important to its acceptance and will be reflected in the trades as well as the financial markets.

So P1 has an incentive to fix this if the products future is salvageable. Salvagable is a physical as well as marketing issue. I think that users and forums like TC have made the point to P1 that there is a problem. They only found about this on Friday. Weather they should have found this in beta testing or not, is not an issue for us at this time. I am sure that they will get some "power user" types to bang on future devices after this mishap.

If we continue to turn these forums and other public places into a "gripe-fest" about the 650 and p1, we may well cause the premature demise of the product line, before allowing p1 to to offer a fix (let alone develop a software patch or even consider a hardware modification to the product and trade out of the relively low number of units already in the channel).

I respectfully suggest that we all chill and give them a chance to address this. A work week is enough time to allow them to release an official statement promising a fix (for existing unit owners and units in the channel). A number of weeks or more develop one and start implementation is certainly resonable. This promise will reasure current and future purchasers that p1 will stand behind the 650 and the financial markets will remain supportive of P1 accordingly. If this confidence is broken by our community by trashing the 650 and P1 before P1 has a chance to act, then the dammage is done and there will be no incentive for P1 to fix the product, because it would have been written off already.

Most of us are here because the 650 was a product that we wanted, and we want to serve us well. That end is best served by allowing P1 to support the product and us.
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    Well said!
    Agreed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mbrenner
    I respectfully suggest that we all chill and give them a chance to address this. A work week is enough time to allow them to release an official statement promising a fix (for existing unit owners and units in the channel). A number of weeks or more develop one and start implementation is certainly resonable.
    ...or until the GSM units are shipped. Once GSM units are shipped, the problem better be addressed or there's gonna be hell to pay!!!!
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    give them some time, eh?

how about a whole year until the next version comes out.

Face it...F1 screwed the pooch.
    If we continue to turn these forums and other public places into a "gripe-fest" about the 650 and p1, we may well cause the premature demise of the product line
    (1) Why is that a bad thing? Natural Selection/Survival of the Fittest is a proven win.

(2) I'm not sure the utility of a forum that is strictly a place for gushing "I love my new X - it's SO wonderful!" posts.
    Quote Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor
    (1) Why is that a bad thing? Natural Selection/Survival of the Fittest is a proven win.

(2) I'm not sure the utility of a forum that is strictly a place for gushing "I love my new X - it's SO wonderful!" posts.
    I don't understand how you aren't banned from trolling these forums. I guess the mods don't care.
    P1 sells you guys cheap. they just found out about the mem-issue on friday?

gimme a break. its called coporate minimalism. its an insult to the intelligence of an average user, who is getting used to having a choice.

I for myself vote with my purse.

be P1's guest to go somewhere else, where you find better memory, wifi, stable OS, whatever.

P1 really makes it easy to abandon them.

cant be serious to suggest that they just overlooked that problem. they screwed it intentionally.

like with wifi. what we're hearing? cheap excuses. nobody believes ed c. that they're working on drivers. such is the history of P1.
    I don't understand how you aren't banned from trolling these forums.
    Poor kookums.

Just can't keep from posting about other posters, eh?

Hey! Wanna know something!?

The moderators said YOUR post is grounds for banning while mine, as usual, was right on topic!

-- http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...5&postcount=17

Ain't life wunnerful!
    Last edited by SeldomVisitor; 11/21/2004 at 06:47 AM. Reason: Added quoted text since another post intervened...and a URL
    Man I still dunno why some people gripe about the lack of WiFi on a MOBILE PHONE.

The longest I'm ever at a WiFi hotspot is probably 39 seconds if my bus is stopped at one for that long.
    wifi? airports, schools, universities, shopping malls, clubs, you name it
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Nguyen
    Man I still dunno why some people gripe about the lack of WiFi on a MOBILE PHONE.

The longest I'm ever at a WiFi hotspot is probably 39 seconds if my bus is stopped at one for that long.
    Have you visited http://www.wigle.net yet and clicked on their "War Driving" links?

Or seen the news about that Nokia VoIP phone that uses IPv6?

-- http://www.forbes.com/technology/fee...ahoo&referrer=

Or read the standards-based docs on Mobile IPv6 at http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/mip6-charter.html ?

Or noticed that, say, Taipei, Seattle, and minimally Philadelphia are all going to entirely WiFi their cities?

WiFi - don't need no stinkin' cell towers. Don't need no stinkin' idea of "minutes" or "calls" or anything that differentiates phones from computers.

It's coming.

Fast.
    Last edited by SeldomVisitor; 11/21/2004 at 06:49 AM. Reason: Added standards URL...and added "Nokia news" URL
    As cynical as he is... (Seldom...)

he's right... it's coming and it will be the standard, sooner than later..
    I rarely agree with SV, but in this case I think he's right. These forums should be open to all points of view. I've visited some forums for other products that are just fan clubs, and don't tolerate any criticism, and find them basically useless.

As for giving Palm time to address the problem, yes. I'm not terribly confident they'll do anything to fix the existing 650s, but if they do issue a fix it isn't going to happen overnight. It will likely require a change to the OS, and that's going to require a fair bit of effort and a lot of testing.

As for Palm just finding out about the problem on Friday, that's ludicrous. P1 had to understand the costs of this memory architecture long before we did. At a minimum, the T5 community learned about it well before we did, and if Palm wasn't aware of that they're really, really out of touch.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    It's not what he had to say in this thread. Rather what he has to say in almost every other thread. He's playing a game out of boredom and I guess some of you don't get it.
  16. cfx
    How i would solve the memory issue if i were P1:
    1. official announcement in 2 weeks (so the have time to look into th matter) that there will be a software fix in mid january.
    2. official announcement in 2 weeks that there will be a upgraded Treo 650 with 128MB to will cost 100$ more than the 32MB version. At the same time the wifi drivers will be ready
    3. official announcement in 2 weeks, that everybody who ordered a treo 650 prior to the official announcement will get the upgraded treo for free if they return their 32MB version.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fandango
    I don't understand how you aren't banned from trolling these forums. I guess the mods don't care.

Fandango,

SeldomVistor, aka Hengeem on Yahoo Finance board, is a day trader who is only interested rumors and Innuendos.

Below is a recent post by SV/Hengeem on the Yahoo Finance Board:

"Posting individual messages form TreoCentral - THE Treo Fanatic web site - doesn't even begin to communicate what is going on.

Here's the whole discussion forum for the TREO 650:

-- http://discussion.treocentral.com/forumdisplay.php?f=70

PalmOne may have blown this one even worse than the 600."

Now you know why he "seldom" visits us......
    I'm chillin cuz I don't have my unit anyway. -lol

Seriously, as long as the problem is being addressed, I agree give it a chance and more time.

But take too long P1! One P1 employee at the sign in desk commented when I asked for a black marker at the Road Show in DC that TC'ers are one of their best advertisers. So I'm sure they realize that is a two edged sword.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Nguyen

I probably haven't spent three hours OUTSIDE of a wifi zone in about a week. I'd say that I've been in a wifi area about 98.5% of time in that span.
    Quote Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor
    Lack of consumer choice is a proven loss.

Natural Selection is successful because of the variences that enable change and improvement over time. However if there is no competition there's no reason for variences that will lead to improvement.

An example if you is Internet Explorer which hasn't adapted for years (due to a perceived lack of competition), while Mozilla Firefox has evolved to a next generation product in the views of nearly everyone that follows the technology industry.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast