Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by TechDude

Obviously there are a lot of power users who simply aren't active members of online communities. I'm not trying to compare this with a big study done by market analysts or whatever. But even if the numbers are WAY off it will still take 5,000 users to make 1% of their sales. And even then, do you really have a voice? What percentage of unhappy customers do you think it would take for PalmOne to really do anything? 5%? That's 25,000 users. Come on now. I can't even think of 3 people that I personally know who rival my commitment to following the bleading edge of technology and care about things at the level of "sectors taken up by a file".

So as I said... do we really have a voice? Or are we just that one kid in the class room that all the teachers would rather just didn't come back the next day?

--TechDude
    That's me (and SeldomVisitor) banned to the back of the classroom with hopes we'll hit the door sooner than later.

You've hit the nail on the head. What appears to us to be an unforgivable restraint of power user freedom is a joke to PalmOne management. How many of those 500,000 Treo 600's even have a third party PIM upgrade (like DateBk5 or Agendus) much less a slew of software conflicting left and right with one another and the Treo 650 architecture?

I'll be the first to agree. THERE IS NO GOOD REASON (even pricing) that the Treo 650 couldn't have had the same 256mb memory as the T5. But they didn't and we (I) knew it when I laid down my big bucks. Memory handling in 512 chunks is plain STUPID (didn't we learn that debacle between Windows 96 and 98?), so I hope they can patch around that. But face it, most everything else is such a great upgrade on this phone, they'll sell 250,000 before they do anything with the memory problem (I think they'll call it the memory enhanced Treo 655 for power users with a whopping 64mb of memory). Until then, you'll just have to learn to relax and enjoy it.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by illustreous
    Getting back to the initial point of this thread...

...I will be putting whatever pressure I can on P1 as an individual, a member of an enterprise and a member of this forum. P1 does NOT NEED ANY ADDITIONAL TIME to fix this "memory issue".
    Okay, if it's so easy to fix and requires no time, then tell us, how do we fix it then?

What they need is several kicks in the pants. They need to wake up. And that will only happen if their finances suffer, actually or POTENTIALLY.
    Let's put them out of business so that issue is NEVER resolved. Good thinking!

I'm holding onto my 650 for the 14 days that Sprint allows me. If P1 does not make a public statement that is satisfactory to resolving this issue then that unit will be going back.
    Statements have already been made by P1. Pray tell, what statement would be "satisfactory" to you?
    I wonder if the memory issue is the firmware fix that was rumored to cause a shipping delay last week with sprint. There didnt seem to be an actual delay in shipping. Maybe they already have the fix but were waiting to see if it actually caused an impact before upgrading 2500 phones already packaged and ready for sale. It's easier for them to have the customers come in on a case by case basis to do a firmware upgrade, especially if they dont think everyone will have a problem with it, or have a patch download available then to open all those boxes, fix it and repackage everything. Plus P1 finding a speedy fix for this issue would just pass warm fuzzies all around, especially if they are known for NOT fixing their mistakes. Either that or the problem was more complicated and they realized the update they had wouldnt address the issue and needed more time to come up with one. Just one more speculation to throw in with the rest of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyaki
    I wonder if the memory issue is the firmware fix that was rumored to cause a shipping delay last week with sprint. There didnt seem to be an actual delay in shipping. Maybe they already have the fix but were waiting to see if it actually caused an impact before upgrading 2500 phones already packaged and ready for sale. It's easier for them to have the customers come in on a case by case basis to do a firmware upgrade, especially if they dont think everyone will have a problem with it, or have a patch download available then to open all those boxes, fix it and repackage everything. Plus P1 finding a speedy fix for this issue would just pass warm fuzzies all around, especially if they are known for NOT fixing their mistakes. Either that or the problem was more complicated and they realized the update they had wouldnt address the issue and needed more time to come up with one. Just one more speculation to throw in with the rest of them.

this should get the conspiracy theorists all itchy... yikes.
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    Quote Originally Posted by scaredpoet
    Okay, if it's so easy to fix and requires no time, then tell us, how do we fix it then?
    Putting a statement out requires no time at all. This is not some little BS company. They are a big market player. They can tell ME and the REST OF US how to fix it since we PAID for the product. The onus, burden, whatever you want to call it is on them -- NOT US.

Let's put them out of business so that issue is NEVER resolved. Good thinking!
    Please, I ask at least of mildly cerebral comments.

Statements have already been made by P1. Pray tell, what statement would be "satisfactory" to you?
    No public statement has been made! What are you talking about??? A satisfactory statement would propose a resolution to the problem. We'll be the judge of what is satisfactory. They have to PUBLICALLY admit to the problem first.
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    Putting a statement out requires no time at all. This is not some little BS company. They are a big market player.
    You'll notice that big market players are the slowest to make public statements, esp. if they are public companies. Public statements are carefully crafted and reviewed by their legal counsel because people will hold them to whatever statements are made. If they say it is a "problem", then they have to cover themselves for the consequences of admitting it is a "problem". My prediction is it will be a while.
    They can tell ME and the REST OF US how to fix it since we PAID for the product. The onus, burden, whatever you want to call it is on them -- NOT US.
    You paid for it, and PalmOne has already given you recourse -- you can return it. And as said before, there is no guarantee anywhere that this can be resolved, and a public statement may not be out for weeks until they've fully assessed the situation. You have full power over your dissatisfaction -- exercise it, or you are the only one losing if you keep your unit past the return period and never get the magic update you want.
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert C. Lee
    Public statements are carefully crafted and reviewed by their legal counsel because people will hold them to whatever statements are made. If they say it is a "problem", then they have to cover themselves for the consequences of admitting it is a "problem". My prediction is it will be a while.
    I understand this; I'm in this business. However, the envelope is constantly being pushed in this industry. With the plethora of products already coming out (e.g. phones, smartphones, PDA's) from competitors and such, I would be surprised to see how long P1 is going to hold down this fort. Critical mass, competition and speed, imo, can change traditional executive decisions rather quickly. But of course, it depends on those factors. And, considering that P1 is already losing the smartphone OS marketshare game, it's in their best interest to submit and rectify.

You paid for it, and PalmOne has already given you recourse -- you can return it. And as said before, there is no guarantee anywhere that this can be resolved, and a public statement may not be out for weeks until they've fully assessed the situation. You have full power over your dissatisfaction -- exercise it, or you are the only one losing if you keep your unit past the return period and never get the magic update you want.
    Not necessarily. Consider this scenario. I have the power to recommend to my Firm either a BlackBerry or a Treo (600, 650, etc.). Now, there are potential sales of 45 units resting upon my recommendation. If I recommend a BlackBerry to these folks as the overall best product to get in light of these issues do you still think I'm the bigger loser here?? And this even while my Company may pay for my T650 because, among other things, I decided to test it out for the Firm in true working conditions.

Some people forget the power of referral, real world value and enterprise. That's what REALLY drives the sales of these products - esp. such a high-end enterprise product like the Treo 650.

If my recommendation AGAINST purchasing 45 Treo 650 units is not the proverbial kick in the pants to P1, then I'm not really sure what else qualifies.
    Quote Originally Posted by TechDude
    To further back up my previous post...

I sorted the member list by posts and only 676 members have more than 100 posts. I'm not saying anyone who hasn't hit 100 posts is not a power user, but the majority of the people who have posted in THIS thread alone have over 100 or 200 post. (I count 6 who have less than that) So I think 100 is a good number to count you in as a power user. (aka someone who is hungry for new apps and ways to use their Treo)

I think that TC is probably one of the most popular forums for Treo users and most other forums probably share their members with TC. So lets say that there are 1,000 ACTIVE power users just for a good round number to play with.

PalmOne is on it's way to HALF A MILLION in sales on the Treo 600. That's 500,000 users. That means that our group of power users is only a 5th of a percent of their sales. (Assuming there are 1,000 power users among us)

Obviously there are a lot of power users who simply aren't active members of online communities. I'm not trying to compare this with a big study done by market analysts or whatever. But even if the numbers are WAY off it will still take 5,000 users to make 1% of their sales. And even then, do you really have a voice? What percentage of unhappy customers do you think it would take for PalmOne to really do anything? 5%? That's 25,000 users. Come on now. I can't even think of 3 people that I personally know who rival my commitment to following the bleading edge of technology and care about things at the level of "sectors taken up by a file".

So as I said... do we really have a voice? Or are we just that one kid in the class room that all the teachers would rather just didn't come back the next day?

--TechDude
    For every user who complains, there are probably 50 who feel the same way but won't complain even if they can just get by, or are willing to put up with the flaws in a product. They just won't buy the next version that company puts out.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    Quote Originally Posted by Joad
    If PalmOne had no clue about this until Friday as you say, then they won't be in business very long.
    I rue the day that Handspring sold out. They would have done the phone correctly, or at least better.

PALM has always ben an odd company in that they have always been quite customer unfriendly.

I remember sitting in the Customer Service que for 30+ minutes on a long distance number (they had no toll free for CS) when the Palm VII service would go down, and the CSR asking me if I simply wanted to cancel my service when I asked when the network would be coming back ??!!!

I switched to Handspring when the Treo line came out, and things were so much better.

PALM, PALMone or whatever, has not changed the corporate culture as competition has dramatically increased (I think they figured acquiring Handspring would be enough to dampen competition).

If the attitudes don't change, the company won't be viable.

This is not a new phenomenon.

We are witnessing the first post-Handpsing P1 device of this nature, and I for one, and not surprised in the least. Rather, I fully expected it.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    Lack of consumer choice is a proven loss.
    And the exercise of that choice is called "the market." I would much prefer to see the 650 fixed than fail.

Right this minute I do not see any alternative to the 600 so my "choice" is to stay with it. Obviously I would like an alternative. However, there is not much in the 600 that I want to compromise to get it. I do not want to compromise battery life. A device that does not have more, not less, memory than the 600 is not a choice. Since the 600 is good enough, I will give P1 all the time on the 650 that its competitors will. I think that time is measured in weeks rather than days or months.
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    Not necessarily. Consider this scenario. I have the power to recommend to my Firm either a BlackBerry or a Treo (600, 650, etc.). Now, there are potential sales of 45 units resting upon my recommendation. If I recommend a BlackBerry to these folks as the overall best product to get in light of these issues do you still think I'm the bigger loser here?? And this even while my Company may pay for my T650 because, among other things, I decided to test it out for the Firm in true working conditions.
    Corporations aren't ready for the Treo 650 yet. PalmOne has to get them into the hands of the people that make the decisions first, and has to prove that the devices are reliable. Furthermore, memory requirements are determined on a case-by-case basis.

We're still 3-4 months out before decision makers will able to make informed recommendations on the Treo platform. Most companies in 2004 do not buy bleeding edge. They have been very conservative with their upgrade paths, and for good reason.

Even if the Treo 650 had 128mb of RAM, I couldn't in good conscience recommend it over Blackberry at this particular moment... there's just too many unanswered questions about the device.
    Quote Originally Posted by maitreo
    Does the TREO 650 compete with Audiovox SMT 5600 ??? I'm not sure. What about editing MS Office docs or Touchscreen ?

Also could you please let me know where I can get this BT kb for the SMT 5600 ?
    It doesn't compete in all market segments (folks who need a touchscreen and/or built in keyboard), but my point here is that there is a segment of the market (or a couple, depending on how you split up the market) that does find it competitive. I am in that group.

I am not a mobile employee, if I am travelling (perhaps 10% of my work), I will have my laptop. I really only need a mobile device to read email, type quick replies, and make phone calls when I am in meetings, in transit between locations, or on the can. I also want to play games, MP3s, and videos. In that way the SMT 5600 does compete very well. I'll buy a T650 once it fulfill my needs, but with the current crop of memory problems, I'm not sure it does.

ThinkOutside has announced a SmartPhone driver for their BT keyboard.
    Palm 1 cant fiqure how to ship an order u really think they will fiqure out this memory problem good luck.

Fred
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234