1.    #1  
    Has anyone else configured their Exchange server and 650 to perform wireless sync? I have done it but as discussed in the palmone faq's it appears that only the main email inbox and calendar are sync'd. No contact sync, no tasks, no notes, and most importantly for me no email subfolders. Looks like I can't eliminate Goodlink after all. This is a very limited implementation in my opinion. Anyone else doing this yet?
    I tried to get mine working but kept getting an error on the palm side. I can setup the account in versamail, it "tests" fine, but when you go to retrieve email it gives you an error. I'll have to contact the IT director to see what's up. Wait a minute, I'm the IT Director... guess I'll be on my own for this one.

I went back to Business Connection Personal Edition. It seems better than versamail anyway.
  3.    #3  
    BCPE only gives you the last 75 emails max though right? This is no good either. Goodlink seems to be the only really good option that I've seen. It sounds like your problem is on the server side. There are some registry entries that have to be changed to enable OMA on Exchange 2003.
    Quote Originally Posted by ttoppins
    Has anyone else configured their Exchange server and 650 to perform wireless sync? I have done it but as discussed in the palmone faq's it appears that only the main email inbox and calendar are sync'd. No contact sync, no tasks, no notes, and most importantly for me no email subfolders. Looks like I can't eliminate Goodlink after all. This is a very limited implementation in my opinion. Anyone else doing this yet?
    First thing I did when I received my Treo 650 yesterday.

The Activesync implementation does indeed only sync email and calendar.

It works "as billed" (although, as you mention, subfolders and contacts/notes/tasks syncing would be nice) -- the only real quirk I've found is that when I compose new emails, they "error" when I send them and require a second try. They end up going through, but do stay in the Outbox on the Treo .. but again, they DO send. So I'm now up to 18 messages sitting in the Outbox, that did all successfully send.

shrug

-jd
    This is largely disappointing thus far. I had figured that when I read that e-mail was synced up that it would be able to get all mail. I realize that it might not do it by default as it would put a lot of mail in memory, but I should be able to go to subfolder and request all that mail be downloaded.

Sad that it seems that most of this admittedly very small sample size had errors.
    Hm not good news but anyway my company doesn't allow out of VPN access to exchange anyway, but if BlackBerry Connect gets released soon that'll be sweet, since my company fully supports Blackberry.
    This is probably a little OT, as not directly related to ActiveSync, but here is the alternative that I am using for full OTA mail/cal/contacts/memo/task sync. I ended up doing this as I was *very* dissapointed that Activesync was only support cal/inbox - what a waste!

I'm using Snapper for secure IMAP access to my mailbox. This allows me much flexibility in what I get on my treo, how long it is kept, etc (full support for subfolders, etc). I played w/ VersaMail briefly, but it didn't have an option to move mail to SD so I stuck with Snapper (Which I already own). That takes care of email.

I also have my desktop PC at my office setup with the outlook/exchange conduits that are now built into the palm desktop. I have this machine set to do nothing on all selections except the 4 conduits - cal, contacts, memos and tasks.

I then setup my Treo to hotsync over the air - this did require me to port forward the two palm-sync ports to my desktop pc (I'm our NetAdmin, so this wasn't a problem for me - obviously not everyone will be able to do this...).

So now, I've got full access to my mailbox through secure IMAP and full sync of everything else over the air to my desktop pc. The OTA sync times aren't bad once you set the treo to not sync anything but those 4 apps when using the modem.

If anyone wants more details on the OTA hotsync, let me know. There were a few quirks I encountered setting it up.

Cheers,

Chris
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by cstorer
    This is probably a little OT, as not directly related to ActiveSync, but here is the alternative that I am using for full OTA mail/cal/contacts/memo/task sync. I ended up doing this as I was *very* dissapointed that Activesync was only support cal/inbox - what a waste!

I'm using Snapper for secure IMAP access to my mailbox. This allows me much flexibility in what I get on my treo, how long it is kept, etc (full support for subfolders, etc). I played w/ VersaMail briefly, but it didn't have an option to move mail to SD so I stuck with Snapper (Which I already own). That takes care of email.

I also have my desktop PC at my office setup with the outlook/exchange conduits that are now built into the palm desktop. I have this machine set to do nothing on all selections except the 4 conduits - cal, contacts, memos and tasks.

I then setup my Treo to hotsync over the air - this did require me to port forward the two palm-sync ports to my desktop pc (I'm our NetAdmin, so this wasn't a problem for me - obviously not everyone will be able to do this...).

So now, I've got full access to my mailbox through secure IMAP and full sync of everything else over the air to my desktop pc. The OTA sync times aren't bad once you set the treo to not sync anything but those 4 apps when using the modem.

If anyone wants more details on the OTA hotsync, let me know. There were a few quirks I encountered setting it up.

Cheers,

Chris
    We are a small company but this still isn't very feasible at the enterprise level. I guess we are going to continue to use Goodlink which has a new version coming out hopefully on Tuesday to support the 650.
    I did this as well.

When I received my Treo 650 I was on the road, so I ISO'd the CD that it shipped with and sent it down to my home PC. I then setup an "over-Vision" Hotsync.

This first hotsync took about an hour to complete. Subsequent attempts take more in the 8 minute range, and that's with no data changes (ie, I had just synced via USB).

Do you see similar numbers?

-jd
    Quote Originally Posted by doogles
    I did this as well.

When I received my Treo 650 I was on the road, so I ISO'd the CD that it shipped with and sent it down to my home PC. I then setup an "over-Vision" Hotsync.

This first hotsync took about an hour to complete. Subsequent attempts take more in the 8 minute range, and that's with no data changes (ie, I had just synced via USB).

-jd
    I haven't timed it, but I'd say my OTA sync is quicker than 8 minutes, probably closer to 3-4 minutes, if that.

However, on my desktop PC at the office, I have everything turned off except the 4 outlook conduits. On the 650, I went into conduit setup (allows to to choose exactly what sync's when syncing with the "modem", as opposed to a cable), and turned everything off except contacts, calendar, memos, and task list.

One thing I dislike is that anything I install is automatically enabled in the conduit - so if I add anything I have to go into the conduit setup and uncheck it, otherwise the OTA sync takes a bit longer.
    Quote Originally Posted by pshifrin
    I tried to get mine working but kept getting an error on the palm side. I can setup the account in versamail, it "tests" fine, but when you go to retrieve email it gives you an error. I'll have to contact the IT director to see what's up. Wait a minute, I'm the IT Director... guess I'll be on my own for this one.

I went back to Business Connection Personal Edition. It seems better than versamail anyway.
    I had the same problem, and it was caused by having two separate SMTP addresses on the same server. Apparently, the server didn't know which email account to sync with. There is a solution on MS Support: http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;886346

According to the article, if you have more than one email address for the user this issue may apply. After reading the article, the domain I thought would apply would be xxx.com since thatís the account that I wanted to access. The registry was changed from xxx.com to yyy.com and after that it worked immediately.

I don't recommend Business Connection. (1) It will not enable calendar adjustments from Palm to wireless sync to your exchange server; (2) it will not allow you to input any calendar events at all (what's the point?!); (3) finally, the calendar version in Business Connection is horrible. It will only allow you to view what you've added at your work desktop, and then only in day view!!!

Hope this helps. It was a nightmare figuring it out. Sprint Tier II tells me Palm will start supporting Activesync themselves. (Sprint knows very little about activesync.)
    Re: Business Connection.

1. True it has no relation at all to the Palm Calendar. It is completely independent but that is not necessarily a bad thing. I never used the Palm calendar and am glad I can view my Exchange Calendar using the Calendar button, a click away.

2. The BC release was a one-way Calendar view and does not allow you to add appt's through the client currently. This serves a pretty high use pattern among people who just need to look at their calendar, accept or reject meetings on the fly. As with other email vendors that put out one-way Calendars to start I would take a long guess that it could eventually go to two-way which is a natural progression.

3. Yes.. a day view only... I'd like to see a week view as well especially with that lovely high res screen on the 650.

Given all the limitations it is what it is and I look at the Calendar every day while on the run in the car or traveling and worry about scheduling when I get to my PC. Sprint did seem to leave in the option to schedule appt's via the Web interface so the Blazer browser can do this although it is not ideal IMO but it works.

Quote Originally Posted by jalioto
    I had the same problem, and it was caused by having two separate SMTP addresses on the same server. Apparently, the server didn't know which email account to sync with. There is a solution on MS Support: http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;886346

According to the article, if you have more than one email address for the user this issue may apply. After reading the article, the domain I thought would apply would be xxx.com since thatís the account that I wanted to access. The registry was changed from xxx.com to yyy.com and after that it worked immediately.

I don't recommend Business Connection. (1) It will not enable calendar adjustments from Palm to wireless sync to your exchange server; (2) it will not allow you to input any calendar events at all (what's the point?!); (3) finally, the calendar version in Business Connection is horrible. It will only allow you to view what you've added at your work desktop, and then only in day view!!!

Hope this helps. It was a nightmare figuring it out. Sprint Tier II tells me Palm will start supporting Activesync themselves. (Sprint knows very little about activesync.)
    I setup my Exchange account in VersaMail and I can tell you that the email part works ok. Task synchronization would be nice. One prolem: When I add an appointment to the 650's calendar it appears in Outlook 2003 as a MEETING after synching in VersaMail. I have posted this in another thread. There does not seem to be a fix and palmone won't support it and sprint isn't even worth talking to about it. I'm thinking as more people use it someone will come up with a solution. Seems like I have had some issues with All Day and No Time events added via the 650 also but I can't recall exactly what. I just don't add appointments to my 650 unless I have to. If I do I know that I'll have to do some adjusting in Outlook if I want them right. Not a very good solution.
    Quote Originally Posted by doogles
    I did this as well.

-jd
    I've tried this too. This seems to be the ideal solution but on mine it takes forever! I mean It'll run my batter down if I do it a few times. I have uncheced all conduits except the ones metioned and it still seems to run through a backup process that takes a long, long, time. Any ideas on what might be taking so long?

Cheers,

Chris
    I'd like to know about the quirks you encountered and any tips. Is there a quick way to change the settings on the 650 conduits? It takes awhile to check or uncheck all the boxes.
    I was all excited to get activesync working, but it sounds like it is pretty pointless. I need to get to sub-folders otherwise it's a waste of time for me to access Exchange from my phone.

I also purchased snappermail b/c of its imap ability (and storage to SD card function). I'm now in search of an IPSEC vpn client, so i can just jack into our PIX and access our LAN, then IMAP over to exchange and be done. The missing link right now is an IPSEC vpn client
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ttoppins
    We are a small company but this still isn't very feasible at the enterprise level. I guess we are going to continue to use Goodlink which has a new version coming out hopefully on Tuesday to support the 650.
    Ttoppins -

I run a small company with MS Exchange server hosting our corp. email. I have found Chatter to be an optimal solution. Real time syncing of email with the only limitation being 8 active folders. For me, I sync my inbox and sent folders for a personal account and my corporate account (thus using 4). With Chatter, you can move file mail into sub-folders which are offline - the current limit is 128 offline sub-folders per online folder. Chatter doesn't wirelessly sync contacts or calendar.

I have found that having real time access to my inbox/outbox and the ability to file messages takes up 99% of my Outlook related activities when I am out of the office. If I urgently need to read an email that I filed into a sub-folder, there is always a computer nearby where I can access Outlook through Webmail.

For a small business, I just don't see how Goodlink at $300 + per year per user can stack up against Chatter for $32 per user one time. All you need is IMAP access, which you should have through MS Exchange. For your personal email, if your provider doesn't have IMAP capabilities, for $20/year you can get a robust imap account from fastmail (www.fastmail.fm) and redirect your other mail acct to fastmail. Finally, if your personal email is pop3, fastmail will delete any emails from the pop3 server once every three hours and it will not download any emails that have been forwarded - thus your pop3 inbox stays clean, and you receive those emails realtime to your Treo with Chatter.

Just an FYI from a happy Chatter user who has found the right mix of software, technology and hardware (I am using a T650).