Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 213
  1.    #1  
    So I have my Treo 650 up and running with what I consider a power user's setup. First let me just say that I've been a Palm user since the Pilot 5000 that came out in 1996. I've used all Treo devices from a 180 to a 270 then a Sprint and a GSM 600. My Treo 600's memory was busting at the seams. I had many applications on the SD card and kept 4megs of ram free mainly to allow Mapopolis breathing room.

    I am now up and running on the 650 and I wanted to share my setup with this board. Before I get started with that let me first stress that it is VERY IMPORTANT that you follow these instructions from palmOne if you're upgrading to a 650 from another palm device.

    I am not discounting the problems that some people are having, but I wanted to show that it is possible for some power users to store and use most of the apps they need on the 650 while reaping the many other LARGE benefits of the upgrade.

    I am using ZLauncher 5.0 to store applications on the SD card and launch them normally. I had used ZLauncher 4.3 to help with the memory situation on the 600 as well. I don't know how many people know this but ZLauncher (among it's many features) allows you to store applications on the SD card along with all their databases (very important) and allows you to launch those applications normally. This is distinct method from the plain Palm OS-supported copy-to-SD-card feature, which does not copy data along with an application. The OS-supported method is problematic because it seperates programs from their data and requires you to always be mindful of that. When you launch an application that you copied to the SD card in this fashion, all the relevant files are copied to memory and the application is launched. When you are done, ZLauncher removes the application from memory and stores any changed databases back on the SD card. This seems to be a great way to work around the 650's memory situation. Version 5.0 is a new version that supports the T5 and has been working well on my 650 so far.

    Of course you can also store applications on the SD card in the normal Palm-OS fashion, and those too can be started natively from ZLauhcner.

    With all that out of the way, below are the list of applications that I currently have on my Treo 650 with 5.2 MB free memory. Note that I can add many applications to this setup as long as I let ZLauncher store them on the SD card.

    Applications fully in memory:
    - Agendus 8.5
    - BackupMan
    - Documents To Go (full install from the 650 CD)
    - FileZ
    - Graffiti Anywhere
    - Mapopolis
    - PocketTunes
    - RPN
    - SplashID
    - Zlauncher

    ZLauncher SD-installed and working (growing list):
    - MMPlayer
    - MobileTS
    - PSSH
    - SnapperMail Enterprise
    - Vindigo
    - eReader


    Note that my built-in applications have the following number of records:

    Built-in app number of records:
    - Contacts 852
    - MemoPad 337
    - Calendar 57
    - PhoneCallDB 791

    So I am a VERY happy 650 camper. I hope this helps out some users.

    NOTE: To copy an application and its data to the SD card in ZLauncher, tap and hold on the application then select Move to Card. Select the path ".../ZLauncher/Apps" and check the first 2 check boxes. Hit OK.
    Last edited by silverado; 11/27/2004 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Typos fixed
  2.    #2  
    I forgot to add that I'm currently trying out VersaMail and have messages from 2 accounts downloaded. I am waiting for Chatter to be made compatible with the 650 since that has been my choice of an email client for the past couple of months.
  3. Loolaw's Avatar
    Posts
    265 Posts
    Global Posts
    270 Global Posts
    #3  
    Thank you... your usage is very similar to mine. I've been very disheartened by the memory issue, but your method seems very painless.
  4. #4  
    silverado,

    Your posting is not very helpful in fanning the flames of hysteria. How irresponsible.

    Clue
  5. #5  
    PLEASE POST OR MAIL THEME

    Could somebody post or email me the free aquawood xp hi res theme for zlauncher? I am on my 650 with no computer until tomorrow. I downloaded the zlauncher prc but the full zip is bigger than blazer 4's download limit.

    thanks!

    dutchtrumpet@yahoo.com
  6. #6  
    YES we demand you to have problems. You may have them now LOL
    When the dark clouds gather on the horizon, when thunder and lightning fills the sky, When fate is but a glint in the eye of a fallen Rattler, And hopes are lost friends, When the sinew of the chest grows weary from those hard-charging linebackers, And the muscles in the legs grow tired from those hard-charging running backs ... You must remember that the Rattlers will... Strike, Strike, and Strike again.
  7. #7  
    Silverado,
    Thank you, I am hoping this is the case, you make me feel better. This memory issue is not making me change my mind for $349. But I would like to retain the functionality that I now enjoy with the 600.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by silverado
    I am waiting for Chatter to be made compatible with the 650 since that has been my choice of an email client for the past couple of months.
    3 points

    -Dataviz has a utility to move much of DTG 7 to the SD card, which is available at their site

    -Have you tried the Java environment yet?

    -Have you tried ChatterEmail? what happened?
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

    Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

    About me: story of the 100thMonkey
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    PLEASE POST OR MAIL THEME

    Could somebody post or email me the free aquawood xp hi res theme for zlauncher? I am on my 650 with no computer until tomorrow. I downloaded the zlauncher prc but the full zip is bigger than blazer 4's download limit.

    thanks!

    dutchtrumpet@yahoo.com
    I just sent it to you from within ZLauncher by picking send in its file browser and picking VersaMail! ZL rocks and seems to be working with the 650 like a charm.
  10. #10  
    Thankx Silverado, very informative.
    Especially for a treo noob like me. I'm always reading threads to see how ppl have config'ed there treos, so this is a great help!!!
  11.    #11  
    A quirk I found with ZL:

    Sometimes the middle button click seems to be generating more than one click event (could be an OS bug). But when you are launching an SD app with ZL, it shows a dialog while it's copying to ram. This dialog has a cancel button. A subsequent middle button event is causing canceling the launch.

    So, if that happens, use the return button (just click on the icon on the screen) instead of launching with the middle button!
  12. #12  
    Thanks silverado. You've provided an invaluable service.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by silverado
    A quirk I found with ZL:

    Sometimes the middle button click seems to be generating more than one click event (could be an OS bug). But when you are launching an SD app with ZL, it shows a dialog while it's copying to ram. This dialog has a cancel button. A subsequent middle button event is causing canceling the launch.

    So, if that happens, use the return button (just click on the icon on the screen) instead of launching with the middle button!

    This sounds promising............maybe P1 will provide the software and a sd card.

    Silverado, you mentioned the use of a Return Button. Is there a way to return to a prior screen, in general?
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thMonkey
    3 points

    -Dataviz has a utility to move much of DTG 7 to the SD card, which is available at their site

    -Have you tried the Java environment yet?

    -Have you tried ChatterEmail? what happened?
    Cool.. I'll try the DataViz utility! Haven't tried java yet on the 650 as I don't have much use for it right now.

    ChatterEmail didn't seem to be able to make a connection to the net, although it came up admirably and didn't crash. It sits there with a line through the envelope in every folder, indicating no connection.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by silverado
    A quirk I found with ZL:

    Sometimes the middle button click seems to be generating more than one click event (could be an OS bug). But when you are launching an SD app with ZL, it shows a dialog while it's copying to ram. This dialog has a cancel button. A subsequent middle button event is causing canceling the launch.

    So, if that happens, use the return button (just click on the icon on the screen) instead of launching with the middle button!
    So lets say I put my Contact management software on a SD because it wont fit in RAM, does Zlauncher then copy everything to ram anyway in order to use it? If it wont fit in the first place will this cause a problem? I would love to have this be a "fix" if it truely is.

    Thanks in advance
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbdd
    This sounds promising............maybe P1 will provide the software and a sd card.

    Silverado, you mentioned the use of a Return Button. Is there a way to return to a prior screen, in general?
    I meant the enter key.

    Returning to the previous screen in the web browser is done with the backspace key (that's been the case for all Treo's). Is that what you meant?
  17. #17  
    Thanks for the file Silverado!
  18. #18  
    Silverado,

    thanx for the info... should prove helpful Monday when I try to get up and running...

    what size SD card are u using... thx again.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg
    So lets say I put my Contact management software on a SD because it wont fit in RAM, does Zlauncher then copy everything to ram anyway in order to use it? If it wont fit in the first place will this cause a problem? I would love to have this be a "fix" if it truely is.

    Thanks in advance
    Well, if it won't fit in all of memory, then clearly this is not a fix. If it won't fit because it's large and there isn't enough space for it after you've installed some other apps, you can make room for it by moving other apps to the card such that there is enough room for it to either always be in ram or be copied there if you store it on the SD card.

    I am hoping there will be a better general solution to this contacts database type problerm which sounds pretty doable.
    Last edited by silverado; 11/20/2004 at 05:03 PM.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by jscottcj
    Silverado,

    thanx for the info... should prove helpful Monday when I try to get up and running...

    what size SD card are u using... thx again.
    You're welcome

    I'm using a 1GB card.
Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions