Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
    This thread has helped me quite a bit. I've successfully freed up some space but I have one hang-up. I moved Vindigo to: /PALM/PROGRAMS/ZLauncher/Apps. All seems fine until I sync. Once I sync, Vindigo shows up in RAM again and I have 2 icons. I've tried moving it back into RAM and overwriting all the files and I've tried deleting it from RAM. No matter what I do, everytime I sync it shows up both in RAM and SD. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Geckotek; 12/12/2004 at 11:00 AM.
    That happens to me with Powerrun as well. I just launch the app that is the shortcut version, and when I go back to the home page the one in RAM is gone.

Clue
    Geckotek,
    Programs that sync with the desktop do not do well when moved to the SD card, unless the particular program has a utility that handles the move like Docs to Go. Your best bet is to move anything that doesn't sync, and leave the rest in RAM.
    Zane
    In my post I mistakenly said AvantGo when I meant to say Vindigo.....I've edited it to show the correct app.

Cluemeister, thanks for the info, but it didn't work for me.

zvandiver, based on Silverado's first post, it sounds like I should be able to do this.

I've messed around some more. If I send the files to the Trash Bin, they don't show back up. But as soon as I empty the Trash Bin, they come back on my next sync.

Silverado, does this work for you? Are ALL your Vindigo files on the SD, or just the app?
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeRadio
    Dude... its a PHONE!
    Dude....It's NOT "Just a Phone"...not at $600..........
  6.    #166  
    I have the same issue with Vindigo. I guess I've learned to live with it, I just copy it back to the SD card and answer "yes to all" to overwrite everything. If you have a minute, email their tech support, they've been responsive in the past.
    But, but.....I I I d.d.don't like ZLauncher (don't hit me..!) Never have. Keep trying it, keep deleting it. LauncherX fits me so much better.

Seriously though, ZLauncher has three things that keep me from ditching it after using LauncherX through my last three palms.

1. Fix for skins on the Treo650, specifically the BT indicator and signal strength meter. (LauncherX has this same issue, however shows the signal strength meter)

2. The miniscule size of the bottom tool bar. The release notes say they have made it bigger in skins that support it, but I have yet to see it. Please, someone if you know of a skin that supports a larger bottom toolbar, bust out with a screenshot, or even just show me where to get it for myself, I will try ZL again (I have installed and deleted it through almost every revision for like two years, I'm getting really good at it...last time it was on my Treo for like 1.7 minutes!!!)

3. Fix the icon display issue. They address this in the release notes, but act as if it cannot be fixed and you just have to use an icon pack. OK. Well, provide me an icon pack that displays all the icons on the Treo650 or at least point me to one, something, anything.

I am sooooo close to Launcher Perfection, if one or the other would just fix these issues, I would be set.

On another note, I consider myself a power user and I only have 400 contacts. I don't think it is the number of contacts that make one a power user. Having 7,896 contacts just makes you a power-contact-haver or really popular, whatever.

See my other post about Power-Users.
    Silverado - I looked through this large posting and did not notice any specific reference to the "slow response" issue I have seen written about by new T650 users. I am almost convinced to move from T600, but was wondering about your experience in this area. I am truly a satisfied Treo (300 then 600) user, but do not want to jump with my Sanppermail IMAP, large calendar and contacts (900+) until I am sure...all tools of my everyday trade, so to speak...thoughts?

THANKS
    Charliec
    Silverado: Does this not become an issue with your implementaton of Snappermail?
    (From their website)
    Can I run SnapperMail from the memory card?
    SnapperMail will work from the memory card but due to limitations in Palm OS, it's not recommended since you will lose the following functionality:

* Automatic Fetching
    * Quick Connect from the Palm Tungsten's Address Book
    * Mailto: URL support from browsers
    * "Send" support in third party apps (i.e. using SnapperMail to send files from other apps)
    Charliec
  10.    #170  
    Quote Originally Posted by charliec
    Silverado - I looked through this large posting and did not notice any specific reference to the "slow response" issue I have seen written about by new T650 users. I am almost convinced to move from T600, but was wondering about your experience in this area. I am truly a satisfied Treo (300 then 600) user, but do not want to jump with my Sanppermail IMAP, large calendar and contacts (900+) until I am sure...all tools of my everyday trade, so to speak...thoughts?

THANKS
    I believe I did write about having to wait for the databases to be copied. I find the wait time acceptable so it doesn't bother me much at all.
  11.    #171  
    Silverado: Does this not become an issue with your implementaton of Snappermail?
    (From their website)
    Can I run SnapperMail from the memory card?
    SnapperMail will work from the memory card but due to limitations in Palm OS, it's not recommended since you will lose the following functionality:

* Automatic Fetching
    * Quick Connect from the Palm Tungsten's Address Book
    * Mailto: URL support from browsers
    * "Send" support in third party apps (i.e. using SnapperMail to send files from other apps)
    Yes, this would be an issue with SnapperMail. I have a lifetime license for Snapper. However, at the time I wrote the main article, I was experimenting with VersaMail. I am now using ChatterEmail. However, I keep Snapper on the SD card as a fall-back email program since it's like the "grand father" of email clients -- it can do some things others can't and I occasionally start it to deal with particular situations (this is happening less and less as Chatter's feature set gorws).

However, what you can do is install Snapper in RAM and set it up to archive messages to the SD card. That way your messages won't take up valuable space in RAM.

Gonna look for it,
    but didn't I just see a thread recently from someone who had fixed the icons for Z-launcher?
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
    LOL

it was YOU matty who posted the icon fix.

nevermind....
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
    Quote Originally Posted by silverado
    I believe I did write about having to wait for the databases to be copied. I find the wait time acceptable so it doesn't bother me much at all.
    So, Silverado..you mean the only real "delay" you see is when you open an app that is on SD card, and its files are there, too? There is no delay on say Agendus (calendar type, contacts type apps) or the phone itself...?

THANKS for taking the time to reply, it helps us all.
    Charliec
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by silverado
    So I have my Treo 650 up and running with what I consider a power user's setup. First let me just say that I've been a Palm user since the Pilot 5000 that came out in 1996. I've used all Treo devices from a 180 to a 270 then a Sprint and a GSM 600. My Treo 600's memory was busting at the seams. I had many applications on the SD card and kept 4megs of ram free mainly to allow Mapopolis breathing room.

I am now up and running on the 650 and I wanted to share my setup with this board. Before I get started with that let me first stress that it is VERY IMPORTANT that you follow these instructions from palmOne if you're upgrading to a 650 from another palm device.

I am not discounting the problems that some people are having, but I wanted to show that it is possible for some power users to store and use most of the apps they need on the 650 while reaping the many other LARGE benefits of the upgrade.

I am using ZLauncher 5.0 to store applications on the SD card and launch them normally. I had used ZLauncher 4.3 to help with the memory situation on the 600 as well. I don't know how many people know this but ZLauncher (among it's many features) allows you to store applications on the SD card along with all their databases (very important) and allows you to launch those applications normally. This is distinct method from the plain Palm OS-supported copy-to-SD-card feature, which does not copy data along with an application. The OS-supported method is problematic because it seperates programs from their data and requires you to always be mindful of that. When you launch an application that you copied to the SD card in this fashion, all the relevant files are copied to memory and the application is launched. When you are done, ZLauncher removes the application from memory and stores any changed databases back on the SD card. This seems to be a great way to work around the 650's memory situation. Version 5.0 is a new version that supports the T5 and has been working well on my 650 so far.

Of course you can also store applications on the SD card in the normal Palm-OS fashion, and those too can be started natively from ZLauhcner.

With all that out of the way, below are the list of applications that I currently have on my Treo 650 with 5.2 MB free memory. Note that I can add many applications to this setup as long as I let ZLauncher store them on the SD card.

Applications fully in memory:
    - Agendus 8.5
    - BackupMan
    - Documents To Go (full install from the 650 CD)
    - FileZ
    - Graffiti Anywhere
    - Mapopolis
    - PocketTunes
    - RPN
    - SplashID
    - Zlauncher

ZLauncher SD-installed and working (growing list):
    - MMPlayer
    - MobileTS
    - PSSH
    - SnapperMail Enterprise
    - Vindigo
    - eReader

Note that my built-in applications have the following number of records:

Built-in app number of records:
    - Contacts 852
    - MemoPad 337
    - Calendar 57
    - PhoneCallDB 791

So I am a VERY happy 650 camper. I hope this helps out some users.

NOTE: To copy an application and its data to the SD card in ZLauncher, tap and hold on the application then select Move to Card. Select the path ".../ZLauncher/Apps" and check the first 2 check boxes. Hit OK.
    THanks Silverado.,..

i have a couple of questions i hope you or others can help me out with,

how do i get Graffiti anywhere to work? ,mY device goes into soft reset all the time

Secondly what are the other benefits to the Zlauncher?? WHat makes it special beyond cosmetics??

THanks
  16.    #176  
    So, Silverado..you mean the only real "delay" you see is when you open an app that is on SD card, and its files are there, too? There is no delay on say Agendus (calendar type, contacts type apps) or the phone itself...?

THANKS for taking the time to reply, it helps us all.
    I was speaking about delays associated with installing things on the card. The 650 does sometimes exhibit a delay when switching applications. While it can be a little annoying at times, I've been happily living with it especially given the many other benefits this device gives me over the 600.
  17.    #177  
    Quote Originally Posted by faisal
    THanks Silverado.,..

i have a couple of questions i hope you or others can help me out with,

how do i get Graffiti anywhere to work? ,mY device goes into soft reset all the time

Secondly what are the other benefits to the Zlauncher?? WHat makes it special beyond cosmetics??

THanks
    I use GraffitiAnywhere version 1.5.4 and it's been working just fine for me.

As to the other benefits of ZLauncher, I honestly would have bought it just for the SD app storage and launching support. However, there are many other features in addition to the "cosmetic" ones. I recommend looking at their user manual to get a bigger picture. It's second-most important feature for me is it's great file browser.
    OK, Silverado - I just bought mine - looking forward to figuring my way around the minor issues until Palm comes up with fixes - I feel like they will eventually - thanks for your help!
    Charliec
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pixhershko
    can someone post step by step how to set up zlauncher... this app is so confusing , I bought it and played with it and got sooo lost that I had deleted it and revert back the more friendly user powerrun though I have a feeling I am missing something by not figuring how to use zlauncher...help help help
    I installed PowerRun and it was SO SIMPLE I transferred my programs into the SD card barely 1 minute after installing PowerRun.

Could not be simpler! Amazing! I do not understand the need for a more complex program when I just wanted to put all in the SD card! And PowerRun did it in less than 1 minute.
  20.    #180  
    Quote Originally Posted by mgauss
    I installed PowerRun and it was SO SIMPLE I transferred my programs into the SD card barely 1 minute after installing PowerRun.

Could not be simpler! Amazing! I do not understand the need for a more complex program when I just wanted to put all in the SD card! And PowerRun did it in less than 1 minute.
    There have been various discussions on pro's and con's of either solution in this thread. I haven't tried PowerRun myself so I can't comment on that. One issue for me was that the software was last updated 15 months ago. This could mean that it is rock-solid requiring no change. But with a quick glance it looked like ZL is so active in comparison, which left me with a better comfort level as to addressing any new issues if they emerge with the 650.
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast