Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
    ZLauncher is working for me too. Thanks for the info.

Cheers
    I did not see anyone else answer the question regarding how to backup the SD card so you are better protected after you move apps from RAM to card with something like ZLauncher (which I use).

I use BlueSync (which I use) from Blue Squirrel Software:
    http://www.bluesquirrel.com/products/bluesync/

You might also want to take a look at SyncAll:
    http://www.freewarepalm.com/communication/syncall.shtml
  3.    #143  
    Jimbear,

Thanks for the info! I think this is essential.
    Quote Originally Posted by Otter Emperor
    Vincent,

Please read the thread again. He never said "everything is ok". He never said the problem isn't real andh he is not burying the problem at all. All he is doing is offering assistance to us. Talk about "no good deed goes unpunished".... sheesh.

Hey I notice from your personal website that you visited Kent, Conn. I went to Kent School. Thinking of sending any of your kids there?
    Quote Originally Posted by GatoradeMan
    Which theme do you install on ZL 5.0?

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Windows XP
    I loaded Graffiti Anywhere to my new Treo 650 and the software was enabled, but the Graffiti is still not functional. Could anyone help to figure out what the problem is?
    Free up memory? If you are going to use SnapperMail for email (i have found this to be much better the VersaMail) is there any way to delete Versamail from my treo650 to free up the memory?
    Quote Originally Posted by IamVincent
    Please don't patronize us with the term "PowerUser" on a $600 device with less than 24 Megs of usable memory, and where 2 Megs worth of Contact and Datebook db now take 10 Megs.... There's lots of nice features on the 650 but the lack of memory is a joke. It's posts like yours that lull Palm into living in fairyland...

AMEN and HALLEJULAH!!!!!!!!!!!
    Has anyone tried the combination of Power Run and Initiate? I currently use LauncherX and I have been considering Zlauncher for my 650 when it comes. However, the Initiate launcher looks good and has a much smaller footprint than Zlauncher. Any feedback?
    Zane

I got an answer from Confusedvorlon (he wrote Initiate) that Initiate will perform the same functions as Power Run, as well as replacing the default Palm launcher. I am looking forward to trying Initiate on my 650 as soon as VC ships.
    Last edited by zvandiver; 12/03/2004 at 04:30 PM. Reason: update from confusedvorlon
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Recieved the following from mapopolis:

I've attached the Treo program version that
    will run on your Treo 650, but you MUST install
    it over the 2.2 version. Have you installed the
    2.2 viewer yet?

If not, you can download it here:

http://www.mapopolis.com/nav.zip

The files to install to your 650 are

Mapopolis.prc
    pSpeak.prc
    pSpeak.pdb

Then install the attached file RIGHT OVER the
    2.2 version.

You can find an updated user's guide here:

http://64.208.105.215/MapopolisNavigator2.pdf

Please look at the Toolbar, Settings, and
    Navigation chapters. Particularly look at
    the first and second navigation examples.

The 2.2 version will allow you to open your
    maps on the card without bringing them into
    RAM, but we suggest that you not try to
    open more maps that four times your free
    RAM.

For example, if you have 5 megs free, don't
    try to hold open more than 20 megs of maps
    if you expect any reasonable type of
    performance.

Best regards,

Lamar @ Mapopolis Support
    Anyone tried this setup? Have you tried this setup (app in RAM - map on SD?)
    Visor Deluxe, Treo 90, 300, 650, 700P, 700WX, Blackberry 8830 - Sprint
    Realtor - Communications Consultant
  11.    #151  
    Quote Originally Posted by jnjewlz
    Recieved the following from mapopolis:

Anyone tried this setup? Have you tried this setup (app in RAM - map on SD?)
    Yes. I use this setup daily and it works very well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtreosexual
    it seems that even average Joe user will run into memory issues.
    Seems like the anger about memory is slowly dying..
    Great, but it's not due to P1, but our own extra $$$$..
    Oh, but Anger was just one of the stages:

Stage 1. Denial

We deny that the loss of internal memory and quality in the latest Treo device has occurred.
    We ignore the signs of the loss.
    We begin to use:
    Magical thinking believing by magic this loss will go away with a firmware update
    Excessive fantasy believing nothing is wrong; this loss is just imagined; when I wake up everything will be OK.
    Regression believing that if we act childlike and want others to reassure us that nothing is wrong.
    Withdrawal believing we can avoid facing the loss and avoid those people who confront us with the truth.
    Rejection believing we can reject the truth and those who bring us the news of our loss to avoid facing the loss.

Stage 2. Bargaining
    We bargain or strike a deal with God, PalmOne, ourselves
    We bargain or strike a deal with God, ourselves, PalmOne or others to make the loss go away
    We promise to do anything to make this loss go away, even accept a $10 SD card to shut up.
    We agree to take extreme measures in order to make this loss disappear - buying powerrun, tealalias, zlauncher, bigger SD cards, another Palm Device for things that won't fit.
    We lack confidence in our attempts to deal with the loss, looking elsewhere for answers.
    We begin to:
    Shop around believing we look for the ``right'' agent with the ``cure'' for our loss.
    Gamble believing we can take chances on ``cures'' for our loss. Some apps work, but not very well at best.
    Take risks believing we can put ourselves in jeopardy financially, emotionally, and physically to get to an answer or ``cure'' for our loss. ie: Treo 650
    Sacrifice believing in our pursuit of a ``cure'' to change the loss we can ignore our real needs.

Stage 3. Anger
    We become angry with God, PalmOne, with ourselves, or with others over our loss.
    We become outraged and incensed over the steps that must be taken to overcome our loss. ie: living another year with the Treo 600 as our only device.
    We pick out ``scapegoats'' on which to vent our anger, e.g., other members, Sprint, PalmOne engineers, etc.
    We begin to use:
    Self-blaming believing we should blame ourselves for this loss.
    Switching blame believing we should blame others for this loss.
    Blaming the victim believing we should blame the victim for buying then returning the 650.
    Aggressive anger believing we have a right to vent our blame and rage aggressively on the closest target or forum.
    Resentment believing our hurt and pain is justified to turn into resentment toward involved in our loss event including the victim.
    Anger is a normal stage. It must be expressed and resolved; if it is suppressed and held in, it will become "Anger in" leading to a maladaptive condition of depression that drains our emotional energy.

Stage 4. Despair
    We become overwhelmed by the anguish, pain, and hurt of our loss; we are thrown into the depths of our emotional response.
    We can begin to have uncontrollable spells of crying, sobbing, and weeping.
    We can begin to go into spells of deep silence, morose thinking, and deep melancholy.
    We can begin to experience:
    Guilt believing we are responsible for our loss.
    Remorse believing we should feel sorry for our real or perceived ``bad past,'' deeds for which this loss is some form of retribution or punishment. (ie: why didn't I just keep 2 devices and not get hooked on the Treo Smartphone?)
    Loss of hope believing that because the news of our loss becomes so overwhelming that we have no hope of being able to return to the calm and order our life held prior to the loss - rumor is they will be discontinuing the Treo 600!
    Loss of faith and trust believing that because of this loss we can no longer trust our belief in the goodness and mercy of God, Jeff Hawkins et al and mankind.
    We need support to assist us in gaining the objectivity to reframe and regroup our lives. If we are not able to work through our despair, we risk experiencing events such as mental illness, divorce/separation, suicide, inability to cope with the aftermath of our loss, rejection of the family member who has experienced the loss, and detachment, poor bonding, or unhealthy interaction with the parties involved in our loss.

Stage 5. Acceptance

We begin to reach a level of awareness and understanding of the nature of our loss.
    We can now:
    describe the terms and conditions involved in our loss.
    fully describe the risks and limitations involved in the treatment or rehabilitation for the loss involved.
    cope with our loss.
    test the concepts and alternatives available to us in dealing with this loss.
    handle the information surrounding this loss in a more appropriate way.
    We begin to use:
    Rational thinking believing we are able to refute our irrational beliefs or fantasy thinking in order to address our loss from a rational perspective.
    Adaptive behavior believing we can begin to adjust our lives to incorporate the changes necessary after our loss.
    Appropriate emotion believing we begin to express our emotional responses freely and are better able to verbalize the pain, hurt, and suffering we have experienced.
    Patience and self-understanding believing we can recognize that it takes time to adjust to the loss and give ourselves time to ``deal'' with it. We set a realistic time frame in which to learn to cope with our changed lives.
    Self-confidence believing, as we begin to sort things out and recognize the stages of loss as natural and expected, that we gain the confidence needed for personal growth.

We can be growing in acceptance and still experience denial, bargaining, anger, and despair.
    To come to full acceptance we need support to gain objectivity and clarity of thinking. It is often useful to gain such assistance from those who have experienced a similar loss. For example, groups of parents who have experienced the death of a child or who have had a child with a developmental disability.

Peer support from strangers is often the best way for a person to deal with the grieving process.

(a tip of the Treo to http://www.coping.org/loss/stages.htm)

Many of us who tried the Treo 650 and/or cancelled our order based on the fact we lost the hoped-for "upgrade" to the Treo 600 have made our point, accepted the fact the 650 isn't an upgrade, and have moved on to accepting that the Treo 600 is still the best smartphone available at the moment for "power users" (although it seems that some "regular joes" are beginning to feel the heat already - who'da thunk it?). Take a look at the Treo 600 discussions - that's where the people who are not interested in paying yet ANOTHER $650 to beta test the latest Treo are hanging out. We rely on these devices, and the Treo 650 is sorely disappointing on too many levels.

Give PalmOne another year and maybe they'll bring out a real upgrade to the 600. Meanwhile, I'll buy a 21" LCD monitor with the money. I have a nearly stable Treo device - cramped for memory and with a lousy screen, yet it works.

Hate to say it, but I think there will be a lot of once people get those hard-fought $10 128MB SD cards from PalmOne and discover they ain't the panacea people are making them out to be. If SD space would do it, my kid would have the 600 by now.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joad
    Many of us who tried the Treo 650 and/or cancelled our order based on the fact we lost the hoped-for "upgrade" to the Treo 600 have made our point, accepted the fact the 650 isn't an upgrade, and have moved on to accepting that the Treo 600 is still the best smartphone available at the moment
    so was it 'acceptance' and 'moving on' that led you to cast the BS vote in the treo returns poll, claiming that you'd returned your T650 four or more times?
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    <a href=http://www.anastrophe.com>www.anastrophe.com</a>
    Joad

My compliments, that was to say the least an excellent summation of what ALOT of us have gone thru and for some, are still in the process of. You have, for me anyway, hit the "Nail on the Head".

Amazing isn't it, a year ago we were screaming at the 600's, now they are The Smartphone to have. How things turnaround!!!!
  15.    #155  
    The only thing I can think of that someone can't do with the 650 that they could do with the 600 is store huge contacts databases (or some other kind of large databases). But given all the other features of the 650, how you can say the 650 is not an upgrade is beyond me.

It's like saying that moving from an ok 2000 sf condo in an ok neighborhood with a barely acceptable view, ok surroundings and dated appliances to a 1600 sf one in much better shape, a really nice neighborhood and surroundings, new appliances and a stunning view is not an upgrade.

That may be the case for some people for whom the square footage is of utmost importance, however, for MANY people this definitely would be a very nice upgrade.
    Last edited by silverado; 12/10/2004 at 02:11 PM.
    OK, I'm going MAD

Zlauncher installed.

Application on CARD can be seen in ALL menu. If I use the scroll to the app and select it, it says launching, but doesn't.

If I tap on the app with the stylus it launches.

What am I doing wrong????
    Quote Originally Posted by silverado
    A quirk I found with ZL:

Sometimes the middle button click seems to be generating more than one click event (could be an OS bug). But when you are launching an SD app with ZL, it shows a dialog while it's copying to ram. This dialog has a cancel button. A subsequent middle button event is causing canceling the launch.

So, if that happens, use the return button (just click on the icon on the screen) instead of launching with the middle button!

OH, found my answer on page one.....any update from the creators or fix in sight?
  18.    #158  
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbdd
    OH, found my answer on page one.....any update from the creators or fix in sight?
    I'm using beta version v5.10B and it fixed this problem in addition to allowing you to get the menu for an app by pressing and holding the center button.

NOTE: There is a newer beta that people have reported a few problems with. But 5.10B has been very stable for me. I recommend it if you can find it.
    [B]
    Many of us who tried the Treo 650 and/or cancelled our order based on the fact we lost the hoped-for "upgrade" to the Treo 600 have made our point, accepted the fact the 650 isn't an upgrade, and have moved on to accepting that the Treo 600 is still the best smartphone available at the moment .

I started with a Pilot, moved up to a Palm V, then a Tungsten T, and then a Tungsten C.

My wife has a Treo600.

As far as speed, screen size, memory, download speed. The Tungsten C wins over the Treo600 hands down. HANDS DOWN!

I've now UPGRADED to the Treo650. So ya, there's a problem with SOFTWARE being incompatible with the new NVFS memory. Yet, I'm very happy with the Treo650. In do time, 3rd party software developers will adapt. And I truly think that its the way it should be.

So my point is this. The Tungsten C is on my computer desk at home sitting in its cradle. I use it now as an alarm clock. My wife who is envious of the Treo650's screen is willing to trade me for her Treo600.

To sum it up, I'm keeping the Treo650, and it's easily my choice of PDA/Cellphone.

Pro's
    Screen Resolution
    E-mail almost anywhere
    Internet Info almost anywhere
    One of the best micro keyboards available
    Functional Camera
    Solidily built
    Non Volalile memory
    Built in Cellphone
    BLUETOOTH! (I just love this thing when it's paired up to my JABRA)

Con's
    No Wifi (Patiently awaiting WIFI SD Drivers)

Regards,

Jose
    Last edited by 2smart4phone; 12/11/2004 at 05:12 PM.
    Dude... its a PHONE!

Stage 1. Denial

We deny that the loss of internal memory and quality in the latest Treo device has occurred.
    We ignore the signs of the loss.
    We begin to use:
    Magical thinking believing by magic this loss will go away with a firmware update
    Excessive fantasy believing nothing is wrong; this loss is just imagined; when I wake up everything will be OK.
    Regression believing that if we act childlike and want others to reassure us that nothing is wrong.
    Withdrawal believing we can avoid facing the loss and avoid those people who confront us with the truth.
    Rejection believing we can reject the truth and those who bring us the news of our loss to avoid facing the loss.

Stage 2. Bargaining
    We bargain or strike a deal with God, PalmOne, ourselves
    We bargain or strike a deal with God, ourselves, PalmOne or others to make the loss go away
    We promise to do anything to make this loss go away, even accept a $10 SD card to shut up.
    We agree to take extreme measures in order to make this loss disappear - buying powerrun, tealalias, zlauncher, bigger SD cards, another Palm Device for things that won't fit.
    We lack confidence in our attempts to deal with the loss, looking elsewhere for answers.
    We begin to:
    Shop around believing we look for the ``right'' agent with the ``cure'' for our loss.
    Gamble believing we can take chances on ``cures'' for our loss. Some apps work, but not very well at best.
    Take risks believing we can put ourselves in jeopardy financially, emotionally, and physically to get to an answer or ``cure'' for our loss. ie: Treo 650
    Sacrifice believing in our pursuit of a ``cure'' to change the loss we can ignore our real needs.

Stage 3. Anger
    We become angry with God, PalmOne, with ourselves, or with others over our loss.
    We become outraged and incensed over the steps that must be taken to overcome our loss. ie: living another year with the Treo 600 as our only device.
    We pick out ``scapegoats'' on which to vent our anger, e.g., other members, Sprint, PalmOne engineers, etc.
    We begin to use:
    Self-blaming believing we should blame ourselves for this loss.
    Switching blame believing we should blame others for this loss.
    Blaming the victim believing we should blame the victim for buying then returning the 650.
    Aggressive anger believing we have a right to vent our blame and rage aggressively on the closest target or forum.
    Resentment believing our hurt and pain is justified to turn into resentment toward involved in our loss event including the victim.
    Anger is a normal stage. It must be expressed and resolved; if it is suppressed and held in, it will become "Anger in" leading to a maladaptive condition of depression that drains our emotional energy.

Stage 4. Despair
    We become overwhelmed by the anguish, pain, and hurt of our loss; we are thrown into the depths of our emotional response.
    We can begin to have uncontrollable spells of crying, sobbing, and weeping.
    We can begin to go into spells of deep silence, morose thinking, and deep melancholy.
    We can begin to experience:
    Guilt believing we are responsible for our loss.
    Remorse believing we should feel sorry for our real or perceived ``bad past,'' deeds for which this loss is some form of retribution or punishment. (ie: why didn't I just keep 2 devices and not get hooked on the Treo Smartphone?)
    Loss of hope believing that because the news of our loss becomes so overwhelming that we have no hope of being able to return to the calm and order our life held prior to the loss - rumor is they will be discontinuing the Treo 600!
    Loss of faith and trust believing that because of this loss we can no longer trust our belief in the goodness and mercy of God, Jeff Hawkins et al and mankind.
    We need support to assist us in gaining the objectivity to reframe and regroup our lives. If we are not able to work through our despair, we risk experiencing events such as mental illness, divorce/separation, suicide, inability to cope with the aftermath of our loss, rejection of the family member who has experienced the loss, and detachment, poor bonding, or unhealthy interaction with the parties involved in our loss.

Stage 5. Acceptance

We begin to reach a level of awareness and understanding of the nature of our loss.
    We can now:
    describe the terms and conditions involved in our loss.
    fully describe the risks and limitations involved in the treatment or rehabilitation for the loss involved.
    cope with our loss.
    test the concepts and alternatives available to us in dealing with this loss.
    handle the information surrounding this loss in a more appropriate way.
    We begin to use:
    Rational thinking believing we are able to refute our irrational beliefs or fantasy thinking in order to address our loss from a rational perspective.
    Adaptive behavior believing we can begin to adjust our lives to incorporate the changes necessary after our loss.
    Appropriate emotion believing we begin to express our emotional responses freely and are better able to verbalize the pain, hurt, and suffering we have experienced.
    Patience and self-understanding believing we can recognize that it takes time to adjust to the loss and give ourselves time to ``deal'' with it. We set a realistic time frame in which to learn to cope with our changed lives.
    Self-confidence believing, as we begin to sort things out and recognize the stages of loss as natural and expected, that we gain the confidence needed for personal growth.

We can be growing in acceptance and still experience denial, bargaining, anger, and despair.
    To come to full acceptance we need support to gain objectivity and clarity of thinking. It is often useful to gain such assistance from those who have experienced a similar loss. For example, groups of parents who have experienced the death of a child or who have had a child with a developmental disability.

Peer support from strangers is often the best way for a person to deal with the grieving process.

(a tip of the Treo to http://www.coping.org/loss/stages.htm)

Many of us who tried the Treo 650 and/or cancelled our order based on the fact we lost the hoped-for "upgrade" to the Treo 600 have made our point, accepted the fact the 650 isn't an upgrade, and have moved on to accepting that the Treo 600 is still the best smartphone available at the moment for "power users" (although it seems that some "regular joes" are beginning to feel the heat already - who'da thunk it?). Take a look at the Treo 600 discussions - that's where the people who are not interested in paying yet ANOTHER $650 to beta test the latest Treo are hanging out. We rely on these devices, and the Treo 650 is sorely disappointing on too many levels.

Give PalmOne another year and maybe they'll bring out a real upgrade to the 600. Meanwhile, I'll buy a 21" LCD monitor with the money. I have a nearly stable Treo device - cramped for memory and with a lousy screen, yet it works.

Hate to say it, but I think there will be a lot of once people get those hard-fought $10 128MB SD cards from PalmOne and discover they ain't the panacea people are making them out to be. If SD space would do it, my kid would have the 600 by now.
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast