Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cluemeister
    You don't need to have 5,000 contacts to be a power user. Certainly everything that silverado is doing with his treo would qualify him as power user in my book.

Clue
    No you don't need 5,000 contacts, you need a device that will handle 5,000 contacts...

This is from PalmOne's website describing the $99 Zire....

""Flexible Storage Capacity
    Highly efficient operating system w/ 8MB of memory stores thousands of addresses, years of appointments, plus applications and data.*

Guess we don't have a Highly effecient operating system on a device costing 6 times as much... (Oh, yea, it's only a phone, what do I expect?)

For years PalmOne has been inviting us to store thousands of addresses and years of appointments. They used to actually quote like 5000...

Sorry, I just can't get excited about this "PowerUser" PRPRPR $campaign$ $any$ $more$ $than$ $I$ $could$ $get$ $excited$ $about$ $someone$ $telling$ $me$ $what$ $a$ &$quot$;$PowerUser$&$quot$; $they$ $are$ $using$ $a$ $new$, $high$ $end$ $laptop$ $that$ $has$ $a$ $fixed$ $amount$ $of$ $Ram$ $at$ $128$ $Megs$, $and$ $a$ $10$ $Gig$ $Hard$ $Drive$...

Glad you can make it work with your little custom setup, and that you have time to sit and wait everytime you launch an application, but doesn't help here. I've been getting out of memory messages since the first day....

Please stop the propaganda...
    So weary of the b*tching and complaining. Return the d*mn phone already.

It's like listening to teenagers around here.

Clue
    No, it's called "make PalmOne deal with reality." I've recommended the Treo 600 to tons and tons of people, even my 73 year old father has (and uses) one...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cluemeister
    So weary of the b*tching and complaining. Return the d*mn phone already.

It's like listening to teenagers around here.

Clue

Hmmm..... are you using one yet? I didn't think so....
    That sucks. I bought a Samsung i500 earlier this year and that was one of the reasons i returned it. Since we use the Palm OS, I sometimes leave my phone open and on at work, and i get short mails at work with less than business appropriate language :-D If you find a way to turn off the pop-up, please share, I'm looking at the t650 and the samsung i550 but since it's going to be forever before samsung actually ships, i'm leaning toward the t650, this would be the last hurdle for me, i'm even ok with the limited memory i keep hearing about but sms is a biggie for me...THANKS for replying :-)
    third party apps such as butler have settings to suppress the sms popup.

the 650 has this built. if you go into sound setting for sms you'll see what I mean.
    BLESS YOU! at least i think...now i have to join the ranks of those trying to get their hands on one! :-D really appreciate the help
  8.    #108  
    Quote Originally Posted by IamVincent
    No you don't need 5,000 contacts, you need a device that will handle 5,000 contacts...

This is from PalmOne's website describing the $99 Zire....

""Flexible Storage Capacity
    Highly efficient operating system w/ 8MB of memory stores thousands of addresses, years of appointments, plus applications and data.*

Guess we don't have a Highly effecient operating system on a device costing 6 times as much... (Oh, yea, it's only a phone, what do I expect?)

For years PalmOne has been inviting us to store thousands of addresses and years of appointments. They used to actually quote like 5000...

Sorry, I just can't get excited about this "PowerUser" PRPRPR $campaign$ $any$ $more$ $than$ $I$ $could$ $get$ $excited$ $about$ $someone$ $telling$ $me$ $what$ $a$ &$quot$;$PowerUser$&$quot$; $they$ $are$ $using$ $a$ $new$, $high$ $end$ $laptop$ $that$ $has$ $a$ $fixed$ $amount$ $of$ $Ram$ $at$ $128$ $Megs$, $and$ $a$ $10$ $Gig$ $Hard$ $Drive$...

Glad you can make it work with your little custom setup, and that you have time to sit and wait everytime you launch an application, but doesn't help here. I've been getting out of memory messages since the first day....

Please stop the propaganda...
    Patronizing? Propaganda? PRPRPR $Campaign$?!

You are way off. My first suggestion is that you get a dictionary because you don't seem to know what these words mean.

Secondly, the reason I started this thread is that I was sick and tired over the weekend of seeing the "deafening" wailing that was taking place here. I saw outrageous terms like stupidity, incompetence, disaster, the end of P1, etc. Hundreds of posts were made claiming that this is a piece of junk that no "power user" can use.

Meanwhile, there I was, able to make the device work for amazingly well for me using the same tools I used on the Treo 600. Now I don't give a cr@p about labeling myself power user or any type of user. However, many of the weeping posts clearly billed people who do what I do as power users. Sick and tired of the tantrums, I decided to show that most (not all) of the claims of uselessness of the device were flat out wrong! Most of the people complaining and ranting were people who didn't get their hands on the device and, thus, were unable to evaluate it as a whole. Yes memory is low, but you don't judge a device like the Treo 650 on one factor alone. If you do, you are missing the point. Making this kind of a device is all about tradeoffs and compromises. To render such a harsh judgment and blanket statements on P1 and the 650 for getting the memory wrong when they excelled on many other fronts is too simplistic.

The fact that you believe that your point about the memory problems of the 650 is threatened by one thread that shows a counter example to some (not all) of the negative claims shows that you are taking this a bit too far. It seems that you would only be happy if everyone agreed with you and piled on.

Face it, despite the obvious memory problem, the benefits of this device will far outweigh the limitation for many users. You need to move on. Get the device that works for you and don't try to censor others who don't agree with you.
    Last edited by silverado; 11/23/2004 at 12:46 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by silverado
    Sorry, my SD card's brand is PQI, not POI as I said before. Here is a link to it.

Here are my VFSMark results on the 650:

VFSMark Results

File Create: 258%
    File Delete: 222%
    File Write: 38% (Yikes!)
    File Read: 692%
    File Seek: 737%
    DB Export: 184%
    DB Import: 416%
    Record Access: 882%
    Resource Access: 834%

VFSMark: 473
    i'm a little late getting to this part of the thread - but could you post these results at the sd card benchmark site?

http://heller.ca/cgi-local/palm/cardspeed.cgi

it'll help to build up more results for the 650.
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    <a href=http://www.anastrophe.com>www.anastrophe.com</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by silverado
    don't try to censor others who don't agree with you.
    Consider your own words....

Some people do have 5,000, 10,000 or more contacts, datebook entries, memo's etc... My concern is that you've painted a picture that "everything's OK" with the memory situation, just buy zLauncher and it's all better.... When it's not.

I would just like to see TC give equal time (and a sticky) to the memory issue rather than bury it like it's "fixed"
  11.    #111  
    A few points:

- Talking about something, in this case a workaround, isn't censorship of other topics.

- If you read what I wrote, you'll see that I clearly said this doesn't fix everything.

- If you have a problem with the stickiness of the thread, ask the mods instead of criticizing the concept of posting this. I didn't make this sticky nor did I ask for a "sticky".

Finally, if you think the problem isn't getting enough coverage and attention then you have a distorted view of reality.
    Consider your own words....

Some people do have 5,000, 10,000 or more contacts, datebook entries, memo's etc... My concern is that you've painted a picture that "everything's OK" with the memory situation, just buy zLauncher and it's all better.... When it's not.

I would just like to see TC give equal time (and a sticky) to the memory issue rather than bury it like it's "fixed"
    Vincent,

Please read the thread again. He never said "everything is ok". He never said the problem isn't real andh he is not burying the problem at all. All he is doing is offering assistance to us. Talk about "no good deed goes unpunished".... sheesh.
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    Quote Originally Posted by kevroc
    One issue I've found with moving the docs to go to the sd card is that my email attachments won't autolaunch using dtg as the viewer. I've had to move dtg back to ram which allows the attachment to launch.
    In order for that to work, some of the apps need to be in the handheld memory. Same thing is true of DocsToGo being able to HotSync. If you use the DataViz utility to move things, it takes care of that.
    Sorry for the flames guys.... I was mostly ticked at PalmOne. I wish they would at least acknowledge and warn about the "issue" with large databases...

My 650 eventually got so bogged down it required a hard reset and some stuff got lost. When I restored it, I only put in about 500 of my most recent contacts. Things worked more smoothly. The buttons were more responsive.

It doesn't fix my problem, but I'm going to chill and wait and see what P1 does...

I got to try voice dial, (Since you have to have under 3,000 contacts. Pretty sweet app) Bluetooth DIN works. (This patch is labled as from PalmOne?)

http://mytreo.net/mytreomodules.phpn...etails&lid=399

I loaded zLauncher. It helps with applications that can reside on the card.

Anyway, forgive me for grinding on you guys. I am a very passionate user. (Can anyone tell? )

-Vincent
    Sorry for the flames guys.... I was mostly ticked at PalmOne. I wish they would at least acknowledge and warn about the "issue" with large databases...

My 650 eventually got so bogged down it required a hard reset and some stuff got lost. When I restored it, I only put in about 500 of my most recent contacts. Things worked more smoothly. The buttons were more responsive.

It doesn't fix my problem, but I'm going to chill and wait and see what P1 does...

I got to try voice dial, (Since you have to have under 3,000 contacts. Pretty sweet app) Bluetooth DIN works. (This patch is labled as from PalmOne?)

http://mytreo.net/mytreomodules.phpn...etails&lid=399

I loaded zLauncher. It helps with applications that can reside on the card.

Anyway, forgive me for grinding on you guys. I am a very passionate user. (Can anyone tell? )

-Vincent
    You are passionate and I agree, PalmOne dropped the ball. As long as we have waited for this device memory should not hae been an issue! Something else I could see, but htis one was too obvious and I for one will not condone mediocrity, not @ $600!!

I have called for a Return Pack from Sprint

Good luck everyone, I will wait for the GSM ver and hopefully by then the "Fix Will Be In"
    Sorry for the flames guys....

-Vincent

Vincent,
    It took character to respond with an apology. I also think you make a good point about being "passionate". You aren't the only one here to send out a flame. People are very emotional over this. Thats not necessarily a bad thing. It shows they care.

Keep plugging away...
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

I'm feelin the love in this thread heh
    Quote Originally Posted by Joebar99
    I'm feelin the love in this thread heh
    Kinda like Little House on the Praire?
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Quote Originally Posted by Otter Emperor