Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Silverado, what application would you move to the SD Card that would handle the "huge number of contact issue", some are concerned about. If you're running Agengus, would you move it plus Contacts from the main memory? Can you move the installed PIM functions?

The other question I've seen raised, is around speed. Does running apps from the SD really add time?
    I have been using Zlauncher since I got my Treo 9 months ago.....pretty much have all of my applications on my sd card. I'll see what happens when I get my 650 this week. Keeping my fingers crossed.
  3.    #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbdd
    Silverado, what application would you move to the SD Card that would handle the "huge number of contact issue", some are concerned about. If you're running Agengus, would you move it plus Contacts from the main memory? Can you move the installed PIM functions?

The other question I've seen raised, is around speed. Does running apps from the SD really add time?
    ZLauncher cannot really help with the huge number of contacts issue.

I have Agendus and its data in RAM because I use it all the time so it wouldn't make sense to keep copying back and forth from the card.

As to speed, as I said earlier, there is an initial delay when application and its are being copied to memory, but there is no effect while the application is running. If the application modifies data, there is also a delay when you switch away from it while the modified databases are being copied back to the card.
  4.    #64  
    An important thing to realize that if you go with this method where your programs and data are stored on the SD card, that data won't be backed up when you hotsync.

Now the original reason behind backup during hotsync was the volatility of the Palm device's RAM. The SD card isn't volaile (nor is the 650's memory, but that's not the point here), however, it is still is succeptable to corruption or damage. However, regardless of memory volatility and rate of media corruption, having a hotsync'd copy on a desktop computer gives the added advantage of data redundancy, which means that the chances of you completely losing the data is small, since you would have to lose both the data on your device AND the hard drive where it is hotsync'd at the same time, which is a much less likely event to occur than losing one of them.

With this scheme your data will be stored on one medium only without redundancy. Therefore, I think it is important to make it a practice to periodically backup the contents of your SD card, or at least the folder where ZLauncher stores your data (usually /PALM/PROGRAMS/ZLauncher/Apps), to your desktop computer or another medium.

Having said that, it would be great if ZLauncher added a feature where it would hotsync data of programs it has copied to its directory on the SD card! That would eliminate the headache of having to remember to do this manual backup from time to time.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beryl
    I've registered both products. I've been using PowerRun for many years (since my Palm M505) and used ZL prior to getting the Treo 600.
    Thanks so much for that comparison, Beryl. From what you said, it sounds like if I'm looking for a solution to JUST the memory problem (without lots of extra bells and whistles, which would probably confuse me), Powerrun is the way to go.
    I have also found that ZL tends to grab some databases that PRPRPR $leaves$ $behind$. $I$ $am$ $also$ $a$ $registered$ $user$ $of$ $both$. $I$ $think$ $that$ $ZL$ $has$ $eclipsed$ $PR$ $at$ $this$ $time$ $though$
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
  7.    #67  
    ZL (prior to the latest release):

cons: *** ZL may have fixed these in their latest release.***
    - Launching ZL shortcuts outside of ZL will cause the files which resided on the card to remain in memory because ZL doesn't know to put them back.
    Version 5 (and I believe 4.3 which I used on the 600) puts them back the next time you start ZL.

I don't know Snapper recognizes the shortcuts but I'm guessing not.
    Snapper recognizes the shortcuts but fails to launch them, apparently just like PowerRun. That used to bug me with QuickOffice. However, I am now using DocumentsToGo that came with the 650 and have used their utility that stores the software in the SD card and it seems to be launching just fine from Snapper!
    - Also, ZL didn't display a list of all of the eligible programs running on RAM which may be moved by ZL.
    Can you please explain this point?
    wow check out this mytreo.net explains it well. Click here
    need mp3 ringers...
    hey silverado I use power run. is it the same as zluncher?
    also what method should I use in order to back up my sd card?
    Quote Originally Posted by pixhershko
    also what method should I use in order to back up my sd card?

Put the card in a reader, and copy (drag) the entire contents to your computers hd. That's one way.
    This is the sort of solution that I discussed in the big memory thread. Except that I was hoping that palmOne had already built it into the stock launcher. It frankly amazes me that neither PalmSource nor any of the Palm OS licensees have built this sort of functionality into the core OS and/or stock launchers. This is long overdue.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by silverado
    Can you please explain this point?
    When you launch PowerRun, you can see all of the programs and their sizes which are in RAM in a list. From that list, you can select the ones you want to be launched via PRPRPR, $delete$ $them$, $or$ $run$ $them$. $You$ $can$ $change$ $the$ $list$ $to$ $view$ $the$ $apps$ $which$ $are$ $currently$ $being$ $launched$ $via$ $PR$. $From$ $that$ $list$, $you$ $can$ $move$ $them$ $back$ $to$ $RAM$, $delete$, $or$ $run$ $them$.

I might pay the $5, upgrade, and try ZL again.

A question to Silverado -- can you assign ZL shortcuts to buttons now? If so, when you exit the program, does ZL know to put everything back or do you need to launch it from ZL to get the files cleared out of RAM?
    Last edited by Beryl; 11/21/2004 at 03:32 PM.
    help... I have powerrun right now. should I buy zlauncher or do I stay with powerrun, I have not tried zl yet and found prprpr $to$ $be$ $easy$ $and$ $simple$ $but$ $I$ $do$ $not$ $know$ $if$ $I$ $am$ $missing$ $on$ $something$ $here$ $or$ $not$... $can$ $someone$ $help$.
    Quote Originally Posted by pixhershko
    help... I have powerrun right now. should I buy zlauncher or do I stay with powerrun, I have not tried zl yet and found prprpr $to$ $be$ $easy$ $and$ $simple$ $but$ $I$ $do$ $not$ $know$ $if$ $I$ $am$ $missing$ $on$ $something$ $here$ $or$ $not$... $can$ $someone$ $help$.

ZL is available for a 30 full version trial. I definately liked ZL better than PRPRPR. $With$ $PR$ $you$ $have$ $to$ $launch$ $it$ $and$ $then$ $launch$ $the$ $app$ $you$ $want$. $ZL$ $is$ $much$ $more$ $like$ $a$ $windows$ $shell$ $all$ $you$ $have$ $to$ $do$ $is$ $click$ $the$ $icon$ $for$ $the$ $app$ $you$ $want$ $and$ $it$ $launches$. $When$ $leave$ $it$, $it$ $puts$ $it$ $all$ $back$ $on$ $the$ $card$.

I recomend reading the manual that downloads with ZL. When I first installed it I was moving things wrong. Its really simply to move apps to the card and the creat a path for syncing thru Hotsync conduits as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg
    With PRPRPR $you$ $have$ $to$ $launch$ $it$ $and$ $then$ $launch$ $the$ $app$ $you$ $want$.
    That is not accurate. You don't have to launch PRPRPR $first$. $PR$ $and$ $ZL$ $works$ $exactly$ $the$ $same$ $way$ $in$ $this$ $regard$. $Both$ $create$ $shortcuts$ $which$ $can$ $be$ $launched$ $like$ $you$ $would$ $any$ $Windoze$ $shortcut$.

I agree that users should give ZL a try. ZL is much more than a launcher.
    That is not accurate. You don't have to launch PRPRPR $first$. $PR$ $and$ $ZL$ $works$ $exactly$ $the$ $same$ $way$ $in$ $this$ $regard$. $Both$ $create$ $shortcuts$ $which$ $can$ $be$ $launched$ $like$ $you$ $would$ $any$ $Windoze$ $shortcut$.

I agree that users should give ZL a try. ZL is much more than a launcher.

I didn't notice that.... I guess thats evidence that ZL is more userfriendly. I had no idea that PRPRPR $did$ $that$. $With$ $ZL$ $it$ $was$ $obvious$ $right$ $from$ $the$ $start$.
    I use powerrun on my 600 and I can run programs on the sd card from the applications screen or with mcphling. I don't ever have to open powerrun.
    "If you think a weakness can be turned into a strength, I hate to tell you this, but that's another weakness." - Jack Handey
    Does TreoCentral have a weekly MVP (Most Valuable Poster)? If so, Silverado is my nominee.

I don't have my Treo yet, but I downloaded ZLauncher to try this out. I had tried ZL earlier and thought it was "OK", but exploring this version a bit leaves me really impressed. I deleted FileZ after seeing their file browser, and the "Move to card" function is painfully easy.
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast