Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Good work-around. I wish I could say that got rid of all my concerns. I guess I feel that I shouldn't have to pay another $20 for the work-around. I could possibly find other benefits with ZLauncher, but I like to stick with what comes with the Palm. Basically because I'm kind of cheap and partially because I don't think it's right to ask someone to pay for something that should be standard in the OS.
  2.    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    Is the five way totally supported in all aspects of ZL 5, or are you "settling" for having to pull the stylus out a lot? Thanks again.
    The latest version 4 (4.30) of ZL was quite compatible with the 5-way on the 600. You could do a lot in the main screens with the 5-way. Version 5 is new and I can do a lot with the 5-way but not (yet) as much as I could do on the 600 with 4.30. One thing I'm missing is the shortcut menu for an application icon. I used to press and hold the center button to bring it up. Now that press and hold of the center button is taken by the OS (brings up the pending messages window), I have to tap and hold on the icon to bring it up. However, this is only needed when I'm doing something like copying to the card, which you shouldn't need to do more than once per app.

Now what do I mean by do alot in the main screens? I can switch tabs sequentially using the left and right buttons. I can move the focus point over the app icons and can launch them (though I reported a bug in an earlier post about that), and I used to be able to bring up the shortcut menu as I mentioned above before the press-and-hold operation was taken by the OS. ZL has many more features, not the least of hwich is an awesome file browser. You can't do anything with the 5-way in most of these at the moment.

So, for me, what is currently supported (basically, all launching operations) is sufficient for me to buy it. I hope that they authors will increase the 5-way nav support over time. I have emailed them and pointed them to this thread and requested exaclty that from them.

Edit: The extensive preferences screen also supports the 5-way nav.
    Last edited by silverado; 11/20/2004 at 11:00 PM.
  3.    #43  
    I moved DocsToGo to the SD card using the utility pointed to here and now have 8.8 megs free with all the above apps installed.
    I have been the biggest complainer about the new file system. You have seen my situation quoted several times (2.4meg database that is now 14.9)

I would like to make it known that after playing with Zlauncher for a about 20mins I believe this will solve my problems.

By the way I moved Doc to Go with Zlauncher and it works just fine. I don't know if the Dataviz utility would have any advantage, but it might.

Way Cool!! The apps take a little longer to load but well worth it.

I am now glad for the 650 purchase.

Now I just have to figure out how to cancel my return

Still doesn't excuse P1's negligence, it just once again proves that this community is Awesome!

Thanks Silverado!!
  5.    #45  
    Sorry, my SD card's brand is PQI, not POI as I said before. Here is a link to it.

Here are my VFSMark results on the 650:

VFSMark Results

File Create: 258%
    File Delete: 222%
    File Write: 38% (Yikes!)
    File Read: 692%
    File Seek: 737%
    DB Export: 184%
    DB Import: 416%
    Record Access: 882%
    Resource Access: 834%

VFSMark: 473
  6.    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbdd
    I'm sorry to be dense, but if I search for POI, will I find the card? I'll try it.

And, my other questions were recommendations for high quality, high speed SD cards, other then POI.

And the other one is.....is ZLaunch easy to use for non tech types?
    Search for PQI, I was wrong on the name.

IMO, ZLauncher is not the easiest thing to use for a novice; it has tons of advanced functionality. That said, to do what I have outlined above, you would need to learn only a few advanced steps.

I'm very happy with my card. You can find lots of info on this board and others on SD cards and their performance.
    What is this "shortcut menu" you're referring to? Do you mean "popup quick launch + list"? If so, you can configure it by going to:
    popup setup list> advanced>

go to Long press center button and there's 8 choices under it, of which "popup quick launch + list" is one on them.

Quote Originally Posted by silverado
    The latest version 4 (4.30) of ZL was quite compatible with the 5-way on the 600. You could do a lot in the main screens with the 5-way. Version 5 is new and I can do a lot with the 5-way but not (yet) as much as I could do on the 600 with 4.30. One thing I'm missing is the shortcut menu for an application icon. I used to press and hold the center button to bring it up. Now that press and hold of the center button is taken by the OS (brings up the pending messages window), I have to tap and hold on the icon to bring it up. However, this is only needed when I'm doing something like copying to the card, which you shouldn't need to do more than once per app.

Now what do I mean by do alot in the main screens? I can switch tabs sequentially using the left and right buttons. I can move the focus point over the app icons and can launch them (though I reported a bug in an earlier post about that), and I used to be able to bring up the shortcut menu as I mentioned above before the press-and-hold operation was taken by the OS. ZL has many more features, not the least of hwich is an awesome file browser. You can't do anything with the 5-way in most of these at the moment.

So, for me, what is currently supported (basically, all launching operations) is sufficient for me to buy it. I hope that they authors will increase the 5-way nav support over time. I have emailed them and pointed them to this thread and requested exaclty that from them.
  8.    #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg
    I have been the biggest complainer about the new file system. You have seen my situation quoted several times (2.4meg database that is now 14.9)

I would like to make it known that after playing with Zlauncher for a about 20mins I believe this will solve my problems.

By the way I moved Doc to Go with Zlauncher and it works just fine. I don't know if the Dataviz utility would have any advantage, but it might.

Way Cool!! The apps take a little longer to load but well worth it.

I am now glad for the 650 purchase.

Now I just have to figure out how to cancel my return

Still doesn't excuse P1's negligence, it just once again proves that this community is Awesome!

Thanks Silverado!!
    Wow! You're welcome! I'm very glad this worked out in the end for you (although I agree with you that this doesn't excuse the memory shortage).

Please make sure you inform the angry masses
  9.    #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by newtreouser
    What is this "shortcut menu" you're referring to? Do you mean "popup quick launch + list"? If so, you can configure it by going to:
    popup setup list> advanced>

go to Long press center button and there's 8 choices under it, of which "popup quick launch + list" is one on them.
    Yes, it doesn't work on the 650 because the long press action is used by the OS. Is it working for you?
    Maybe the moderators should list this as a Sticky.

BUT, I don't think PalmOne, should now sit back thinking there is a resolve to the memory issue!

OH, BTW, where is the best place to get ZLaunch?
    No, I failed to mention I do not have a 650 yet. So the OS is hogging the center button eh? Hope it can be hacked.
    Quote Originally Posted by silverado
    Yes, it doesn't work on the 650 because the long press action is used by the OS. Is it working for you?
    Global Posts
    678 Global Posts
    I bought the sandisk ultra II 1 gb card ($109 from Fry Electronics) for my 650. It is 10Mb/sec. From reading around I think that is about as fast as the 650 can benefit from.

Zlauncher is easy to use and it works fine with the 5 way key on my Tunsten C and ecpect it will with the 650 as well. It also has a very good manual to help.
    Mike G

Touch (Sprint)
    Quote Originally Posted by wcarlson40
    However, another big problem with having to 'run all your apps from the card' is that it makes it VERY incovenient to install upgrades to applications (with most bleeding edge apps, this is almost a weekly thing...). No longer can you just HotSync the updated app, now you have to make sure you move it over to the card each time, and make sure you are putting it in the right directory, not to mention any new databases it may need updated as well.....

NOPE Zlauncher will allow your apps that sync with a conduit to work just fine even if they reside on the card.

It really is cool. I also like the interface much better the palm one.
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite
    To help save memory, use FlyZip on apps you don't use much. It's pretty fast and compresses very well.
    Xenophonite,

I posted my results after trying your suggestion of FlyZip earlier. It caused a reset loop and required a hard reset and reload. I tried it again with zipping one application to my card and then trying to run the application as the instructions for FlyZip indicate. It caused the same reset loop.

Do you have a Treo 650 yet? Have you tried using FlyZip as you suggest? I sure would like to know how to use it properly if you have been able to get it to work.

Can you provide some assistance please? Thanks in advance.
    jamesalexander (at) compuserve.com
    just want to make sure that people who need more memory read this thread
    Quote Originally Posted by newtreouser
    So the OS is hogging the center button eh? Hope it can be hacked.
    Yup, holding the center button of d-pad takes one to the alerts menu
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbdd
    OH, BTW, where is the best place to get ZLaunch?
    you can get it at www.palmgear.com

Not surprisingly, its now at the top of their bestseller list. For all the grief people on this forum have been giving TC staff, I think they should be getting commissions. Palmgear for throwing business their way, P1 for providing a forum to work through issues, Sprint, the US Treasury, the Vatican, etc,...

Thanks TC. I, for one, think this place is great.
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    P1 should pay for the z launcher or should have a similar software for free download from P1 website.
    Also at least a free 128 MBcard as it seems that even average Joe user will run into memory issues.
    Seems like the anger about memory is slowly dying..
    Great, but it's not due to P1, but our own extra $$$$..
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtreosexual
    P1 should pay for the z launcher or should have a similar software for free download from P1 website.
    Also at least a free 128 MBcard as it seems that even average Joe user will run into memory issues.
    Seems like the anger about memory is slowly dying..
    Great, but it's not due to P1, but our own extra $$$$..
    Agree, unless it's easy to crack the case, pop out the internal 32mb, snap in a larger chip, and hope there is no significant impact to power management, then providing a few 'required accessories' is a solution that palmOne should consider
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolio
    Is there any benefit to using Zlauncher vs PowerRun for moving/running apps on the SD cards? I have seen people mentioning both to get around this memory issue.
    I've registered both products. I've been using PowerRun for many years (since my Palm M505) and used ZL prior to getting the Treo 600.

ZL (prior to the latest release):
    pros:
    ++++ a great launcher with lots of bells and whistles eliminating the need for hacks and other add-ons like PowerRun ($$) and filez (freeware).
    + When you launch a shortcut within ZL, ZL gathers the program and its related files (if you set it up that way) and puts them all back when it is done (unless you get a crash during the use of the program that was launched).
    + has lots of development and community support

If you plan to only launch your programs through this launcher, this is the way to go.

cons: *** ZL may have fixed these in their latest release.***
    - Launching ZL shortcuts outside of ZL will cause the files which resided on the card to remain in memory because ZL doesn't know to put them back. I don't know Snapper recognizes the shortcuts but I'm guessing not.
    - Also, ZL didn't display a list of all of the eligible programs running on RAM which may be moved by ZL.
    - Has a large footprint

PowerRun:
    pros:
    + Has a small footprint
    + When you launch a shortcut within PRPRPR, $PR$ $gathers$ $the$ $program$ $and$ $its$ $related$ $files$ ($if$ $you$ $set$ $it$ $up$ $that$ $way$) $and$ $puts$ $them$ $all$ $back$ $when$ $it$ $is$ $done$ ($unless$ $you$ $get$ $a$ $crash$ $during$ $the$ $use$ $of$ $the$ $program$ $that$ $was$ $launched$).
    + You can launch PRPRPR $shortcuts$ $from$ $any$ $launcher$. $PR$ $handles$ $the$ $files$ $properly$ $each$ $time$ ($unless$ $you$ $get$ $a$ $crash$ $during$ $the$ $use$ $of$ $the$ $program$ $being$ $run$).
    + You can even assign PRPRPR $shortcuts$ $to$ $buttons$.
    + When you enter PRPRPR, $you$ $get$ $a$ $list$ $of$ $all$ $of$ $the$ $programs$ $and$ $the$ $sizes$ $running$ $in$ $RAM$ $and$ $those$ $running$ $from$ $under$ $PR$. $You$ $can$ $easily$ $move$ $things$, $test$ $it$, $and$ $move$ $them$ $back$.

con:
    - Snapper recognizes the shortcuts but won't launch them (e.g. Quickword, Handzipper, etc.)
    - hasn't had an update in over a year

I've got everything running under PowerRun that can today and I have 6MB left and I must have at least 4MB free. This is why I need the memory issue addressed on the 650.
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast