Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    can someone post the working version of BackupMan!!!
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by wahili
    can someone post the working version of BackupMan!!!
    I used BackupMan 1.51 to restore individual files from my Treo 600 backup. Trying to do a full backup normally resulted in an error message about a file already open and the backup was interrupted. I did a partial reset (for lack of a better name) when you reset with the up button pressed, which starts the device without initializing any apps (less chance of any files open). I then tried a backup and it worked! I didn't try a full restore from it (I don't think I will any time soon). But it's good to have for partial restores if needed.

If you need this version, I'll post it.
    To help save memory, use FlyZip on apps you don't use much. It's pretty fast and compresses very well.
    silverado,

thanx for the gr8 post! i too was going hysterical over the memory issue, but the world does seem like a better place again

just one noob question.... at the end of ur first post, what do u mean by "If you install the applications normally then use ZLauncher to store them in the SD card this works fine." And how does zlauncher know which all files r associated with an app?

thanx.
    Great sacrificial trial-and-error Silverado! Since most of us have not received our 50s, including the Editors of this forum. It is still early to sink the thing. Most us here are talented enough to circumvent memory use or other probs and pass it on to others for hi-res, a faster processor, better cam and BLUETOOTH! I mean c'mon guys! Palm1 and you all be billed accordingly for services rendered!
    Quote Originally Posted by silverado
    Well, if it won't fit in all of memory, then clearly this is not a fix. If it won't fit because it's large and there isn't enough space for it after you've installed some other apps, you can make room for it by moving other apps to the card such that there is enough room for it to either always be in ram or be copied there if you store it on the SD card.

I am hoping there will be a better general solution to this contacts database type problem which sounds pretty doable.
    In theory, you should be able to fill up all available storage memory (23MB NAND Flash) and still be able run applications from the SD card.

Applications can be stored in the 23MB Flash on the Treo 650, or an SD Card.

When an application is run, it is copied into the 10MB DB Cache in SDRAM (not subject to any minimum record size limitation).
    So what about those of us with 5,000+ contacts and 5,000+ Calendar? Even older Palm devices claimed to be able to handle this number of records...

Built-in app number of records:
    - Contacts 852
    - MemoPad 337
    - Calendar 57
    - PhoneCallDB 791.
    What speed card are you using? Do you notice any speed penalty compared to running directly out of Palm memory?

Thanks,
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    got it... thx, man...

i have 256MB for my T600... looks as if i'll be moving on up....
    Great post, Silverado. Thanks for all the tips.
    First let me just say that I've been a Palm user since the Pilot 5000 that came out in 1998.

Ummm, Silverado... according to my memory and http://www.palmone.com/us/products/palmpilot/ :

Mar 96
    The revolution begins! Palm Pilot 1000 and Palm Pilot 5000 organizers introduced.

Thought we fell into a time warp there..
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by Joad
    First let me just say that I've been a Palm user since the Pilot 5000 that came out in 1998.

Ummm, Silverado... according to my memory and http://www.palmone.com/us/products/palmpilot/ :

Mar 96
    The revolution begins! Palm Pilot 1000 and Palm Pilot 5000 organizers introduced.

Thought we fell into a time warp there..
    You're right, it was '96 I'll correct it.
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    What speed card are you using? Do you notice any speed penalty compared to running directly out of Palm memory?

Thanks,
    My PQI 1 GB card is pretty fast (I don't have specs handy, sorry). The penalty in speed depends on the size of the application and all its data. For some apps it's very fast, for others, like SnapperMail with 13 files to move to memory, some of them (my message databases) rather large, I do have to wait. The nice thing about ZL is that it gives you a progress bar with file count and progress per file. It usually flashes by quickly, but for something like SnapperMail you do wait several seconds, but at least you are watching something rather than the device looking like it's hanging. I'm using SnapperMail for reference and last resort purposes (old email and when I need to do something it is best at). If it were my mainstream mail app, I would probably keep its data in memory. I am using VersaMail while I wait for a ChatterEmail update.
    Last edited by silverado; 11/20/2004 at 10:35 PM.
    However, another big problem with having to 'run all your apps from the card' is that it makes it VERY incovenient to install upgrades to applications (with most bleeding edge apps, this is almost a weekly thing...). No longer can you just HotSync the updated app, now you have to make sure you move it over to the card each time, and make sure you are putting it in the right directory, not to mention any new databases it may need updated as well.....
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by wcarlson40
    However, another big problem with having to 'run all your apps from the card' is that it makes it VERY incovenient to install upgrades to applications (with most bleeding edge apps, this is almost a weekly thing...). No longer can you just HotSync the updated app, now you have to make sure you move it over to the card each time, and make sure you are putting it in the right directory, not to mention any new databases it may need updated as well.....
    Yes and no. With ZL, you do need to move it to ram, but you do that for the app and all its data with one step, and there is no need to worry about directories. ZL takes care of it all for you.
    "My POI 1 GB card is pretty fast"

What does POI stand for and what are recommendations for high quality high speed SD cards?

Is ZL pretty easy to use for a non tech type?
    Silverado, I really do appreciate it. I don't have any one HUGE file, but I was getting a little nervous since I only have 7.2 megs left on my 600 about whether or not some stuff was going to have to go. Now I feel a little better. One question. I used ZLauncher once before (don't remember the version) last year and I found it to be TOTALLY incompatible with the five way nav button, for what I wanted. It seemed like I had to take the stylus out to do all of the cool things that made me want it in the first place. From the tone of your post it doesn't sound like you are having any of those issues, but I want to be sure. Is the five way totally supported in all aspects of ZL 5, or are you "settling" for having to pull the stylus out a lot? Thanks again.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Is there any benefit to using Zlauncher vs PowerRun for moving/running apps on the SD cards? I have seen people mentioning both to get around this memory issue.
  19.    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbdd
    "My POI 1 GB card is pretty fast"

What does POI stand for and what are recommendations for high quality high speed SD cards?

Is ZL pretty easy to use for a non tech type?
    PQI (not POI as I said) is the brand of the card. I will post a benchmark later.
    Last edited by silverado; 11/20/2004 at 10:36 PM.
    POI is the brand of the card. I will post a benchmark later.
    I'm sorry to be dense, but if I search for POI, will I find the card? I'll try it.

And, my other questions were recommendations for high quality, high speed SD cards, other then POI.

And the other one is.....is ZLaunch easy to use for non tech types?
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast