Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011
    Quote Originally Posted by iomatic
    Treo 650 owners (Cingular or AT&T GSM— surely, doesn't matter), can you please install and test:

http://www.novii.tv/ -- What's your effective range for the IR?
    http://www.mobi-systems.com/ -- Any issues, slowdowns; problems reading the card?

Thanks!
    neither novi remote or omniremote work with the 650. At least not mine, when I install them nothing happens after programing. I wrote both companies and have gotten no replys. Even 3-6 feet would have been good enough for my usage, but no go even at 1ft.

Hold a sec after checking the the site.. I see there is an update to noviremote. I will test and have answer in 24hours.
    Palm Pro < Palm III < Palm IIIx < Palm IIIe < Palm VII < Handspring Visor < Sony PEG s320 < Kyocera 6035 < Samsung i300 < Palm TC < Sprint 650 < LifeDrive < Sprint Treo 700p < Sprint Treo 755p < Sprint Centro
    FWIW, I posted a request (on the OmniRemote forum) for OmniRemote to add 650 support. For the 600, they just needed to add the processor ID to the supported list, so I'm hoping this is something trivial. I would expect the API and everything else would remain the same, so I wouldn't think this is too difficult.
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    Here's hoping. I'm ordering soon...
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    novii remote has a very short range 3-4 feet
    Quote Originally Posted by tomvb2000
    FWIW, I posted a request (on the OmniRemote forum) for OmniRemote to add 650 support. For the 600, they just needed to add the processor ID to the supported list, so I'm hoping this is something trivial. I would expect the API and everything else would remain the same, so I wouldn't think this is too difficult.

I purchased Omniremote a long time ago and I have been sending emails directly to support and through the site I purchased it from since I got my 650 and I have only gotten one answer of working on it (with no due date) I think that now novi remote has updated for 650 they will too soon. I think I will send them an email saying they might want to catch up.
    Palm Pro < Palm III < Palm IIIx < Palm IIIe < Palm VII < Handspring Visor < Sony PEG s320 < Kyocera 6035 < Samsung i300 < Palm TC < Sprint 650 < LifeDrive < Sprint Treo 700p < Sprint Treo 755p < Sprint Centro
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    I installed Zlauncher but the first time I hotsynced, my Treo just kept resetting itself and would not stop resetting. I finally had to do a hard reset to fix that. Did I screw up or did the program? Thanks.
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    Let us know...

Quote Originally Posted by mortusnox
    neither novi remote or omniremote work with the 650. At least not mine, when I install them nothing happens after programing. I wrote both companies and have gotten no replys. Even 3-6 feet would have been good enough for my usage, but no go even at 1ft.

Hold a sec after checking the the site.. I see there is an update to noviremote. I will test and have answer in 24hours.
    I downloaded a trial of Novii remote deluxe and it works fine with my treo...the range isnt great right now but im getting at least 6-10 feet worth on certain devices. You really have to make sure the beam is on line with the ir receiver otherwise I guess you gotta be all up in the ir's grill!
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    Thanks for that! They just emailed me stating that range —*well, 3 meters (which is great for me) — but its effective cone is quite small. So a good line-of-sight is necessary. That's fine with me!

Anyone want to buy a (lovingly-used) T3?
    I have been sick these last couple of days, but novi remote deluxe ($35) does work on the 650 I have used it as far as 15ft, while being trapped on both the bed and couch. I have also heard back from the makers of omniremote....
    They say no plans as of yet for the 650, but I am on a mailing list now if they change their mind.
    Last edited by mortusnox; 02/13/2005 at 02:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by silverado
    ChatterEmail didn't seem to be able to make a connection to the net, although it came up admirably and didn't crash. It sits there with a line through the envelope in every folder, indicating no connection.
    Thanks for your very useful info, silverado (and the discussions it has spawned, which are also useful).

I was wondering what people use for email. I saw your mention of ChatterEmail. My Treo650 comes with Versamail, which looks ok, BUT does not seem to allow storing of messages on a card. I have a 1GB card, so would love to store my (many) messages there (I use the IMAP feature of Versamail, so I can also keep a copy of my "Sent from the PC" messages on the Treo, along with various folders for keeping important messages both on the palm and on the pc (and iMac at home, by the way)).

I also heard about SnapperMail, but it seems the demo they give does not allow connection to an imap server (is there a demo of the enterprise version somewhere?).

My requirements for an "advanced" mailer are the following:
    • imap supported
    • ability to choose what to download depending on the fact that I am synchronizing with the PC or connecting through GPRS (versamail does it)
    • store messages on external card
    • open attachments (via docs to go for example)

Any comments?
    Quote Originally Posted by silverado View Post
    So I have my Treo 650 up and running with what I consider a power user's setup. First let me just say that I've been a Palm user since the Pilot 5000 that came out in 1996. I've used all Treo devices from a 180 to a 270 then a Sprint and a GSM 600. My Treo 600's memory was busting at the seams. I had many applications on the SD card and kept 4megs of ram free mainly to allow Mapopolis breathing room.

I am now up and running on the 650 and I wanted to share my setup with this board. Before I get started with that let me first stress that it is VERY IMPORTANT that you follow these instructions from palmOne if you're upgrading to a 650 from another palm device.

I am not discounting the problems that some people are having, but I wanted to show that it is possible for some power users to store and use most of the apps they need on the 650 while reaping the many other LARGE benefits of the upgrade.

I am using ZLauncher 5.0 to store applications on the SD card and launch them normally. I had used ZLauncher 4.3 to help with the memory situation on the 600 as well. I don't know how many people know this but ZLauncher (among it's many features) allows you to store applications on the SD card along with all their databases (very important) and allows you to launch those applications normally. This is distinct method from the plain Palm OS-supported copy-to-SD-card feature, which does not copy data along with an application. The OS-supported method is problematic because it seperates programs from their data and requires you to always be mindful of that. When you launch an application that you copied to the SD card in this fashion, all the relevant files are copied to memory and the application is launched. When you are done, ZLauncher removes the application from memory and stores any changed databases back on the SD card. This seems to be a great way to work around the 650's memory situation. Version 5.0 is a new version that supports the T5 and has been working well on my 650 so far.

Of course you can also store applications on the SD card in the normal Palm-OS fashion, and those too can be started natively from ZLauhcner.

With all that out of the way, below are the list of applications that I currently have on my Treo 650 with 5.2 MB free memory. Note that I can add many applications to this setup as long as I let ZLauncher store them on the SD card.

Applications fully in memory:
    - Agendus 8.5
    - BackupMan
    - Documents To Go (full install from the 650 CD)
    - FileZ
    - Graffiti Anywhere
    - Mapopolis
    - PocketTunes
    - RPN
    - SplashID
    - Zlauncher

ZLauncher SD-installed and working (growing list):
    - MMPlayer
    - MobileTS
    - PSSH
    - SnapperMail Enterprise
    - Vindigo
    - eReader

Note that my built-in applications have the following number of records:

Built-in app number of records:
    - Contacts 852
    - MemoPad 337
    - Calendar 57
    - PhoneCallDB 791

So I am a VERY happy 650 camper. I hope this helps out some users.

NOTE: To copy an application and its data to the SD card in ZLauncher, tap and hold on the application then select Move to Card. Select the path ".../ZLauncher/Apps" and check the first 2 check boxes. Hit OK.
    I have more than you on my Treo and have way more ram. my advice is to dump - Mapopolis for TomTom & PocketTunes for Real player cause its just too big unless you like shoutcast. make sure you use the dataVizTech tool to move most of the Documents to go data to the SD card as well as a few other things. id recomend using clean uninstall to clean off your aps. just to let you know i have over 18MB of ram free. btw everybody a good thing to doo after a hard reset is to delete everthing you can in ram and then go ahead and start installing your progs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronxboy View Post
    I have more than you on my Treo and have way more ram. my advice is to dump - Mapopolis for TomTom & PocketTunes for Real player cause its just too big unless you like shoutcast. make sure you use the dataVizTech tool to move most of the Documents to go data to the SD card as well as a few other things. id recomend using clean uninstall to clean off your aps. just to let you know i have over 18MB of ram free. btw everybody a good thing to doo after a hard reset is to delete everthing you can in ram and then go ahead and start installing your progs.
    it's worth bearing in mind that the original post you quoted is from november 2004, just after the Treo 650 came out. an update to the treo palmOS came out much later that fixed many of the memory problems and optimized memory usage. it's still not great, but far better than back then - so take the free memory statement from back then in that context.
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    <a href=http://www.anastrophe.com>www.anastrophe.com</a>
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011