1.    #1  
    I noticed that while trying to surf the internet, the Web Browser performance seems very sporadic. Sometimes it will only load pages partially or not at all, showing 'Receiving', but nothing is coming. The internet connection is fine, as I'm able to stream 128mbit Shoutcast streams with no problem. The problem is that Sprint hardcodes a proxy server. If you look at the proxy settings under Options-> Preferences-> Advanced-> Set Proxy, you'll see that none is specified; however Sprint is forcing their own proxy server if none is specified. I found that if you enter a good proxy server the performance and reliability is hugely increased. I found a list of free proxy servers on
    http://www.proxy4free.com/page1.html

I chose the following proxy server:

IP: 216.148.244.69 port: 80 transparent United States

and entered this in the blazer proxy settings. Wow, what a difference. Very fast now!

Anyway, just a heads up for you guys in case you are also experiencing Sprint proxy issues.

Nate
    I tried this and loaded foxnews.com on my 650 (with proxy) and my wife's (without) and it was quite a bit faster. Thanks!
    Please test speeds with and w/out proxy setting with this bandwidth tester....

dslreports.com/mspeed

use the 200K file, clear you browser cache before each test.

Please post results. thx
    Last edited by xenophonite; 11/20/2004 at 02:58 PM.
    Just did this on my 600 GSM and it appears to be much faster.

TheHandlessKing
    Latest moBlog shot:
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    In general, is data we are sending and receiving secure, for example when logging into my bank account, or making a credit card purchase, etc?

Also, are there any additional security concerns if we use one of these other free proxy servers that nswenson gave us a link to, since we don't even know who owns them? Sorry if this is a dumb question. I'm not very tech-savvy, so I just want reassurance from you guys who are much better informed. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Come on guys.....I didn't think I'd be the only one here concerned about security. Maybe starting a new thread would help.
    Anyone?
    Side note - maybe it's just me and the sites I tried to hit, but once I set this proxy I was unable to view anything via https, got a timeout.

However, on non https sites there was definately a speed increase. Much more consistant speed too. (was getting in the high 130's with the speed test)
    re: Security

Yeah, I would worry about these free proxy servers if you don't know anything about their owners. I sure wouldn't send any credit card information using them, or log into with any important passwords unless there is a secure login (does Blazer support HTTPS?)
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    re: Security

Yeah, I would worry about these free proxy servers if you don't know anything about their owners. I sure wouldn't send any credit card information using them, or log into with any important passwords unless there is a secure login (does Blazer support HTTPS?)

You can always switch the proxy server off for secure transactions; however, there should not be a security issue if the web site is using SSL security. With SSL, the data is encryted with a key at the client and decryted at the server. The proxy server will only see encryped data. For non-ssl, definitely turn the proxy off.

Nate
    Awesome! Thanks for the heads up! I can't wait to try this once I finally get my 650!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions