Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    "Toy like" cell phones sell because they look "Cool" on the outside with features like Super Hi Res Screen, bright lights everywhere like a Christmas tree, a pin hole camera and that's what the 650 is "A TOY FOR GROWNUPS." However, most of us are looking at the Treo 650 as a Power Tool that can do all the useful things a smartphone should do. PalmOne wanted to make the Treo650 more like an Expensive Cool Toy leaving out the PDA features on the side. Examples:
    1.BlueTooth: As a phone it only needs to have the lowest version of all. Anything else would make the Treo too useful.
    2.WiFi: To most people it is more of a PDA related feature that only geeks use to get important information anywhere they are. So once again BlueTooth sounds more like a feature a phone should have.
    3.RAM: Why would somebody put more than a 32MB chip in a phone? Even 4MB would have been fine. We have to realize that people buy cell phones to store numbers and people's information. Anybody who do more than that with a phone needs to get a HT Pentium 4 computer.
    4.New File System: This one shouldn't even be bold because nobody really cares how a file system works in a phone. Even if it makes your phone eat twice more RAM than older versions. As long as it let you save numbers and people's name it is fine.
    5.Compatibility with Non-Palm Software: How many people install software on their cellphone? Maybe one or two games and two or three applications, which bring us back to point 3 RAM.

Look people the Treo 650 was made to be a fancy Cell phone for teenagers and hip hop rappers and not for geeks or power users. If you need more than the Treo 650 can give wait for the TREO 900 coming soon Fall 2010.

Word up Yo..! Keep it real..!

If you have a problem with this, go FUrSlf.

Al
    Last edited by TreoRock; 12/15/2004 at 01:50 AM.
  2. wzl
    I beg to differ... I hang out with a lot of sidekick users - yes, mostly mid 20s, hip hop loving folks... heck, I am one myself (hip hop lover, not sidekick user)...

But, aside from that, I also run several businesses. I have a whole slew of business apps on here - I can SSH to unix boxes (freebsd baybee), RDP to win boxes, have imap-ssl access, a killer web browser, and even stream shoutcast using the latest version of pocket tunes.

Oh, and I have verichat on here, so that I can text message my friends as we try to meet outside of clubs, or on the road looking for an afterparty.

This thing is powerful as a business tool as well as a "cool toy"/phone.
    yeah, but are you using a 600 or 650 WZL? you might not be able to fit half the stuff on the 650 that you have loaded on the 600
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
  4. wzl
    Quote Originally Posted by acajigas
    Look people the Treo 650 was made to be a Fancy Cellphone for teenagers and hip hop rappers and not for geeks and power users. If you need more than the Treo 650 can give you get a PC.

what a bloody crock of nonsense. you want to keep it real? okay, here's real:

1. at this very moment, i'm suffering a debilitating bout of sciatica - i can barely walk first thing in the morning.
    2. my wife is out of town, so i'm alone with our very old dog and a cat.
    3. because of the old dog, i'm sleeping downstairs so i can let her out easily if she needs to do business.
    4. i realize this sounds like it has *nothing* *at* *all* to do with the topic. bear with me.
    5. i'm a unix sysadmin, maintaining a small farm of servers at a colo.
    6. my workstation is upstairs - virtually impossible to get to if i've been lying down downstairs for any length of time.
    7. this morning, i got a page on my treo 650 from one of the servers indicating it was having a problem.
    8. i could not get up. period. the pain was too excruciating.
    9. lying there, i fired up pssh and logged into the server that was complaining.
    10. from the diagnostics, it seemed that the problem was actually that a *different* server wasn't responding at all - unreachable.
    11. fired up PalmVNC. VNC'ed into a laptop at the colo that has a serial multiport on it, connected to the console of each server.
    12. logged onto the console of the server that was unreachable, saw that it had crashed and needed a manual fsck.
    13. fsck done, back to multiuser mode.
    14. back to pssh, ssh into the server that had crashed and make sure all is truly back in order.
    15. ssh into the original server that was complaining, reset the necessary apps, and resume.
    16. problem solved. took about ten minutes i'd estimate.
    17. if this had happened on wednesday, it would have meant the problem would have continued for the 45 minutes it took me later on to crawl on my hands and knees upstairs to the workstation (where if i sit in my desk chair for thirty minutes, i can then stand up and walk like a normal human being, amazingly enough).

the treo 650 is a toy? bite me.
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    <a href=http://www.anastrophe.com>www.anastrophe.com</a>
    I don't know about you acajigas, but this homey don't spend $650.99 on useless "toys." I bought this for productivity, PalmOne claims it is suitable for productive use, and then crippled it all to hell by strangling the memory turning it into effectively a flashy toy.

Maybe PalmOne can just put multicolor LED lights all over a case full of bubblegum, pad and paper and call it the Treo 655 "toy" (Bazooka Joe Limited Edition, naturally), and that will satisfy your urge to show off a flashy gizmo that you dumped a mere $650 upon. Me - I bought this to work upon, get email, surf the web, as a client for my finances, perhaps shoot off a few pics, and use as a phone. The Treo 650 is woefully short on the basic stuff of available memory to do such things.

Even the doubters will find out as soon as they use the "camcorder" feature a couple times. PalmOne blew it - an available 14MB ain't enough except as a $650.99 show-off piece for teens. Perhaps #1 is actually confirming that fact - maybe his demographic and hurried Sprint Executives were the only people outside of PalmOne who actually had any input into the available memory on the Treo 650. 19 year old kids hardly have thousands of contacts in their little black books, have few finances or business programs to load, and hardly use email when they can just IM to their heart's content. Probably explains the fact the Treo looks more and more like those silly case-mod exhaust fans all over the computer stores nowadays.
    Cellphones that are "Toylike" sell because they look "Cool" on the outside with features like Hi Res Screen, bright lights everywhere like a christmas tree plus a pin hole camera and that's what the 650 is. However, most of us are looking at the Treo 650 as a Power Tool that can do all the things that a smartphone should do. PalmOne wanted to make the Treo650 more like a Cool Toy Phone leaving out the PDA features on the side. Examples:
    1.BlueTooth: As a phone it only need to have the lowest version of all.
    2.WiFi: To most people it sounds more like PDA related than Phone related. So once again BlueTooth sound more like a feature a phone should have not WiFI.
    3.RAM: Why would somebody put more than a 32MB chip in a phone? Even 16MB would have been fine. We have to realize than poeple use phones to store numbers a people's information. Anybody who do more than that with a phone needs to get a computer.
    4.New File System: This one shouldn't even be bold because nobody really cares how a file system works in a phone. As long as it let you save numbers and people's name it is fine.
    5.Compatibility with Non-Palm Software: How many people install software on their cellphone? Maybe one or two games and two or three applications, which bring us back to point 3 RAM.

Look people the Treo 650 was made to be a Fancy Cellphone for teenagers and hip hop rappers and not for geeks and power users. If you need more than the Treo 650 can give you get a PC.

Al
    You picked a fine time to chime in. We differ on many things except one. I think the phone is well equipped as is and I only install a few extra things. But this is not some teen ager phone. It does look cool but it is very powerful even to the geek here - some just are not satisified until it IS a PC. I differ on that as well because I think that is a valid point. If you get to the point where you want it to do PC power work, get a PC.

Eric
    anastrophe,

Send that story to PalmOne/PalmSource the next time they have one of their contests.

This phone is NOT A TOY.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Quote Originally Posted by wzl
    cool, how much memory did you use on the 600? how does that compare to the 650? did you freshly install all apps or do a hotsync restore?
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
  10.    #10  
    Sorry, I forgot to say that I was trying to sound sarcastic.
    PalmOne seems to be playing hangman with us and they are failing in guessing the right letters.

Al
    Quote Originally Posted by anastrophe
    [truly frightening, boastful, geeky rant snipped]

Buddy, the original poster was trying to make a joke. Maybe if you weren't so drugged out on Vicodin (or is it crack?) you would have recognized that subtle literary device known as sarcasm. Sheeesh.

By the way, my post was another example of sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by The Chupacabra
    Buddy, the original poster was trying to make a joke. Maybe if you weren't so drugged out on Vicodin (or is it crack?) you would have recognized that subtle literary device known as sarcasm.
    you've got your rhetorical terms mixed up, but that doesn't surprise me. it was far less an adventure in sarcasm as it was a weakly delivered satire. as such, and in my non-drug-addled-but-actually-pain-addled brain, the weak delivery missed the mark, appearing to be much like many of the other childish posts on TC that are written in seriousness, but with a similar elemental lack of flair or even accurate grammar.

my bad, apparently.

Sheeesh.
    got that right, baby!

By the way, my post was another example of sarcasm.

also weakly concieved. but this isn't the algonquin roundtable here, so i try to keep my expectations for quality writing as low as possible.

Paul Theodoropoulos
    ...many of the other childish posts on TC that are written in seriousness, but with a similar elemental lack of flair or even accurate grammar.

my bad, apparently.

i try to keep my expectations for quality writing as low as possible.

"my bad"? What is this, mofo? Ebonicscentral.com? Try to use proper English in future posts. Fo shizzle you fugly gizzle bizzle. Word.

Quote Originally Posted by The Chupacabra
    "my bad"? What is this, mofo? Ebonicscentral.com? Try to use proper English in future posts. Fo shizzle you fugly gizzle bizzle. Word.

yo aye! break me off a piece a that!
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    WAIT! WAIT!
    Treo 650 is Floor cleaner and a Desert Topping!!!!

Really guys you gotta see this from the point of view of Palm One.
    They see this device as an opportunity to merg the functionality of a SmartDevice with the multimedia capability of a mobile computer to establish market share.
    How much money is Apple making on the iPod???
    How much money is Crackberry making on their device???
    How much money is Microsoft making on Office and Media Player???
    By combining the cool toy aspect with the functionality of a laptop and the fashion appeal of a Blackberry they are poised to make a KILLING :0

Hey anastrophe after your sciatica subsides I suggest yoga and some sit ups, both have helped other ppl I know who suffer in the same way word to ur mother

BIG UPS Notorious MSG in the house
    I love all these 30+ people talking like they know what the teen and 20's are into.

none of them use a Treo, because they are on a "regular phone" or a sidekick (toy).

Treos are for productive professionals. EOL.

back to carousel (sp?), fools.

Really guys you gotta see this from the point of view of Palm One.
    They see this device as an opportunity to merg the functionality of a SmartDevice with the multimedia capability of a mobile computer to establish market share.

^^ I recognize sarcasm when I see it!

What they have produced is a merge of a data-capable cell phone with a 1/3 megapixel camera/camcorder, and a $250 PDA (which would have included a better camera and twice the memory).

Step 1: Take the Treo 600 acquired from Handspring, wait a year, fix the screen, camera, battery, browser and reset hole (well, at least make the hole big enough for a stylus, but hide it inside a tough-to-get-off casing). Add features to the Address Book to make it handle more fields compatible with Outlook.

Step 2: Keep the same pitiful amount of memory.... Aww, change that too- how's about half the available memory of the Treo 600 sound?

Step 3: Sell, Sell, Sell

Step 4: ??????

Step 5: PROFIT!!!
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
  18.    #18  
    It is kind of hard to be grammaticaly correct when you have a one year old baby pulling your leg as you type. Next time I will keep my baby locked in a closet while I am typing. Happy now? Al
    It is kind of hard to be grammaticaly correct when you have a one year old baby pulling your leg as you type. Next time I will keep my baby locked in a closet while I am typing. Happy now? Al
    PLEASE, do not lock the baby in the closet. Yes, grammar is important, but it's not worth endangering your child over. PLEASE, heed this warning! PLEASE!
    yo aye! break me off a piece a that!
    Aight. Peace out. _________________
    Chupacabra
    Personal: www.chupacabra.com Obtuse, Succulent, and Remarkably Influential.
    Professional: www.smilegoatsucker.com Unreliable, Professional Email Services
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast