Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Hi,

I have a few observations after a day with the 650, and I'm curious if anyone else agrees.

First the negative:
    1) The new phone on/off button where the memo button is traditionally on a palm isn't programmable. On my 600 I used it for the memo app, and with the option button it did something else. The problem is there's no other power switch. This is a semi-big letdown for me, but I'm sure I'll get used to is.

2) The bluetooth radio seems pretty weak, but maybe it's just my headset. I use an epox HS-02, and with my PC I can go about 20 feet away with no loss in quality, but with the 650 I pretty much have to hold the phone (It starts to crackle and break up when I put it in my pocket). Again, it could be a compatiblity issues, but it still renders my headset useless. What are others' opinions of their headsets on the 650 (other than the range issues, I love my Epox and it was cheap!)

3) There are now 2 shift buttons, one where the menu key used to be. I don't know about anyone else, but I don't need two shift buttons. Hopefully the second one can be programmed to be used for something else.

4) The memory problem goes without saying...

5) I got used to the way the 600 let you use the 5-way to choose a function from the phone app. I'm not sure if I like the new paradigm of having to choose everything as a favorite, but we'll see. This isn't necessarily bad, just different.

Now for the good!

1) I LOVE the new keyboard. It's much more like the 300 keyboard than seems possible, which is good. It was a bit hard to get used to because it's so easy to hit the keys, but that's not a bad thing at all.

2) The screen is of course amazing. Blazer can render my online banking site and actually make it look useable. The additional sreen real estate alone makes the upgrade worthwhile. There is a bit of flicker sometimes when changing apps, but it's not noticeable enough to bother me.

3) The new camera is as good as can be expected with 640x480. It's tempting to say it looks amazing, but I know I just have low expectations coming from the 600. It doesn't look any better than some of my friends' samsung or other generic camera phones, but they look pretty good!

4) Finally seeing the new blazer app in action is very cool. I worked for Palm for about three years, about three years ago, and they were working on features then that I'm seeing now.

Overall I'm very happy with the 650. I'd like to find a solution to my bluetooth woes, and maybe have a fix for the memory issue, but other than that I think the 650 is a nice iterative step towards my ideal device.

Frank
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    A couple more annoying things:
    1) It looks like they took out picture caller ID, or at least it's not where it used to be. Do they expect me to pay for this minor feature?

2)There is a noticeable delay when switching between apps, say between the standard datebook and the phone app- sometimes it's nearly half a second. I could see this getting on my nerves after a while. I feels like the treo 300 did in this respect.
    Quote Originally Posted by fgallina
    A couple more annoying things:
    1) It looks like they took out picture caller ID, or at least it's not where it used to be. Do they expect me to pay for this minor feature?

I dont have time to check it out right now.... But I know it was in the manual that pic ID was not only possible but seemed to be more freindly than before. Like its not limited to only your favorites.
    Picture ID is located in the contacts app. Choose a contact and then "edit it".

This is better than the 600 implementation where you could only link it to a favorite.
    I thought picture caller id u had to assign the picture to the contact by going to the contact's entry in the addressbook.
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    Could you please test the network performance in Blazer by visiting...

dslreports.com/mspeed (use 200K file)

thx in advance
    Tried it 3 times:

1 115 1.388 15.279
    2 118 1.67 15.121
    3 114 1.433 15.401
    avg 115.6666667 1.497 15.267

Phone had 4 bars of signal in the NYC Metro Area.