Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    From what I am reading the T650 is slipping in user loyalty including myself. This is a sad fact since they have such a fanatic base of users who are willing to offer $$$ each year for there product. Now M$ product are coming out like the PPC6600, XDA and BenQ which could give the Treo product line a run for their money. Most Treo owners gave them a pass on the deficiencies of the Tre600 which actually was a Handspring unit. And they could and still can dominate the market with the Tre650. Here is what I would suggest,
    Stop selling the Treo650 for now.
    Update the memory with 128.
    Include BT DUN and WiFi
    Include a BT headset
    Offer replacements for current owners.
    This would stem the exodus of Treo600/300 owners to other devices.
    While I can understand your's and others' frustrations, I don't think there will be a mass exodus to other platforms b/c of the 650's apparent shortcomings. IMV, most users will see the better screen and be happy with it, will appreciate the bluetooth feature and be happy with it, will like the bigger and better buttons and be happy with it. It's the power users and folks like us, who are on the end of the bell curve, that are most likely to be unhappy.
    Quote Originally Posted by cortjestir
    While I can understand your's and others' frustrations, I don't think there will be a mass exodus to other platforms b/c of the 650's apparent shortcomings. IMV, most users will see the better screen and be happy with it, will appreciate the bluetooth feature and be happy with it, will like the bigger and better buttons and be happy with it. It's the power users and folks like us, who are on the end of the bell curve, that are most likely to be unhappy.
    I was disappointed in the specs on the 650 (as well as the poor stability of my T600) and jumped ship to the 7100T. I was responsible for about 5 people at work purchasing the T600 and now I have a couple of converts already on the 7100T. To me, the 7100T is a great wait and see device giving me instant push email, hi res screen and OUTSTANDING phone voice quality and features. The phone is 4X more sophisticated than my T600 and a much better device for work productivity (we are a BB shop at work). The difference in price for quality/features is amazing compared to the two products.
    I see your point, camartin. As with any device with its followers, there will be those proselytizing and converting the masses. The Treo 650 is no exception to this as well. I'm sure that among the happy fan base for the 650, or any product for that matter, there will be many such as yourself extolling the virtues to others. My point is that it all evens out.
    Quote Originally Posted by camartin
    I was disappointed in the specs on the 650 (as well as the poor stability of my T600) and jumped ship to the 7100T. I was responsible for about 5 people at work purchasing the T600 and now I have a couple of converts already on the 7100T. To me, the 7100T is a great wait and see device giving me instant push email, hi res screen and OUTSTANDING phone voice quality and features. The phone is 4X more sophisticated than my T600 and a much better device for work productivity (we are a BB shop at work). The difference in price for quality/features is amazing compared to the two products.
    Care to elaborate how the 7100T is better? Other than using an existing BB network (which Treos will be able to do shortly, P1 willing). IF my 650 turns out to be a total POS, I certainly won't go get a BB. I'll keep my 600. You MUST be kidding when comparing features for a BB to ANY Palm-OS based device. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. And as for price, you already HAD the Treo, didn't you?
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cortjestir
    well said and I agree, that is the sad part.
    I had the 7100t for about a week and hated it. Things I didnt like

1. OS is very slow.
    2. the screen is completely unreadable outdoors.
    3. Unless you have a BES server, dont bother.
    4. Very few available apps
    5. Volume on phone calls was very low.
    6. While not bad, the keyboard isnt very good
    7. No memory expansion at all.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny
    Care to elaborate how the 7100T is better? Other than using an existing BB network (which Treos will be able to do shortly, P1 willing). IF my 650 turns out to be a total POS, I certainly won't go get a BB. I'll keep my 600. You MUST be kidding when comparing features for a BB to ANY Palm-OS based device. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. And as for price, you already HAD the Treo, didn't you?
    what is power device without memory? Yes the phone can do many things but it also has limitations. If this was built for the Casual user who just wants a web access, calendar and phone book the Treo would be great. But for the price I would like to surpass push and extend the possibilities of convergenceTake a look at the post on the PPC threads, they rave about the phone like we Treo’ers did when the T600 came out.
    I in no way think that the Treo is trash they P1 just took their customer base for granted.!
    Actually, after my 600 fried (water damage) I switched to a 7100t to tide me over till the 650 arrives. For a while I was caught up in all the blackberry coolness (push email!) but am twitching to get back to the Treo to the point where I'm considering picking up a used 600 while we wait for hte 650 GSM.

The 7100t is the first blackberry in a usable formfactor for me, and you do get used to the keyboard - unfortunately for me I'm still not 100% happy with it - the "smartkey" features only seem to work well on longer words. The number of emails I've sent with "I'd" instead of "if" "see/are" and other problems really makes it hard to bang out quick email.

The typing issues, plus the general closed nature of the 7100t software/TCPIP stack are what's pushing me back. THE 7100t AIM client is essentially useless (can't turn off the beep, even with the phone in mute/vibrate mode, and occassionally batches up incoming messages and gives them all to you 30+ minutes after they were sent.) There appear to be alternate programs out there, but they can't access the net if your blackberry server isn't configured to allow that sort of thing...

Plus, you think the bluetooth stack on the 650 is crippled? The 7100t supports headsets (quite well, as far as I can tell) and absolutely nothing else. Dial up? Sync? Picture exchage? GPS? Hell no! Also, I've had a reasonable number of system lockups, odd java errors and the like. I probably reboot the phone nearly as often as I did my 600.

The palm platform is just a much more open one for gadget freaks like myself. Out of the box though, the BlackBerries have generally been more usable. Just can't do much with it other than what they want you to.

Come on GSM 650! I'm perfectly happy with the compromises it seems Palm made. I played with an HP 6315 and Wifi/Phone hybrids aren't all that interesting to me. I'm presuming the carriers are the barrier to the DUN profiles, not much Palm can do there. Everyone likes memory, and I'd sure like a usable camera. We'll see what next year's Treo brings...
    Once you begin with an OS and invest lots of your time and energy getting good at it, you tend to stick with it even through times when it seems there is much better stuff out there to explore and maybe switch to. It's why most Americans speak only english, most computers (by far) use only Windows, and even vegetarians can probably tell you what's in any McDonald's in the world. Repetition breeds familiarity leading to laziness and continued repetition of same. The 600 wasn't perfect, but it was a damn good attempt and much better thought out over the "Digital Link" Springboard on which it is obviously based. As a previous poster stated - we forgave Handspring for the 600's issues because they gave it a damn good shot.

PalmOne's overlooking the microphone in the Tungsten W cell phone, removal of vibrating alarms (!) from their pentultimate "T5" and then blowing such an obvious chance to redeem themselves by strangling the memory to nearly nothing in their (acquired) cadillac of smartphones Treo 650 has quite a few people wondering what sort of crack is being passed around their hallowed halls.

What will interrupt the pattern of repeatedly investing in a familiar company's technology is when that company gives you a cute little shetland pony and tells you how pretty it is when they originally said it was a horse, you paid for a horse,
    and you have a whole lot of riding to do that will kill that pretty pony if you tried to take it very far down the trail. The Treo 650 is a cute little pony, and it can do some neat tricks, and is pleasing to the eyes.... But what we ordered and they are advertising is a workHORSE. A horse needs room to move, and 10-14MB of usable RAM makes that horse more like a veal calf.

For the 650's price (which would buy you a very good 21" LCD monitor) the vast majority of people (beyond the gadget hounds and execs with endless expense budgets) will quickly become displeased that they can't do very many of the wonderous things with the 650 that PalmOne touts because it just hasn't the memory. 30 seconds of video takes about 500K of internal RAM, there appears to be no option to save it direct to SD (other than to copy it over then delete it after the fact- VERY cumbersome). Toss in a few pictures, outlook data, email, and a couple Astraware game sound files and you are dangerously close to crashing your phone for lack of free internal memory.

If PalmOne doesn't come out boldly and quickly to fix this inexcusable blunder on the 650, the pent-up demand for the 600's successor will either hold their nose and deal with the diminished useability of the 650 (until something comes along to put it out of it's misery), or move on into sub-par solutions like the Blackberry phones or Microsoft's proliferating phones.

Sometimes I really get the feeling that PalmOne resents the fact that their "power users" are wanting better of them, and they instead put all their energy into finding a way to snooker all those people who fell for the $99 Zires to keep falling for more of that same low-end garbage. I think that once those storm-trooper zires lose their battery life in the dark and dusty drawers into which they were pitched, PalmOne will probably not fool many of that same demographic into emptying any more benjamins their way for This Year's New Thing. Then again, chri$tma$ is coming up, and ya gotta give SOMETHING....

Meanwhile, they are pushing away their high-end user$$ by year-long product cycles that result in a smartphone without even a reasonable amount of memory for the premium price they demand. How smart is that?
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.