Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I posted this in another thread to SpaceHog, who knows I am honest and trustworthy, and when I say something, I mean it. This is my message to PalmOne, and I hope someone there with some clout reads it. I suppose there is no longer any point in emailing their execs directly....

PalmOne has essentially bungled the design and release of a product that should have put you on the map. Look at the messages on this board. Even without the memory issue, there are innumerable reports of crashes, lock-ups, etc., etc. Even the T600's worked well out of the box, (though many later had hardware problems that were probably due to the choice of manufacturer.) The memory situation is the last straw.

My status as a PalmOne customer is in serious jeopardy, and there are many on this board who are with me. You do not want to lose us. We, the bleeding edgers, are those who get your products out into the field, where the "average Joes" see us use them, and hopefully then want one for themselves. You have ignored our needs with this phone, and it seems you have released it well before all the bugs were worked out. Personally, I give you guys at P1 until Tuesday to recall the 650 and APOLOGISE for all of this, or I will never buy another P1 product. That is MY bottom line.
    That's a pretty arrogant thing to post. Why are you so personally insulted that the 650 doesn't meet your needs? It doesn't work for you, you are disappointed, you let Palm One know (in a fair and mature resonse) and you move on. Simple.
    No offense intended dalai, but ultimatums like "I give you guys at P1 until Tuesday" are silly.

If you don't like the product, return it. If it's on order, cancel it.

Clue
    Dude...thats pretty harsh. Are MOST people truly having software issues with the new T650?...and if so, are these third party application issues or bad programming (which I doubt.)

Maybe we should start a poll...."Who is having problems with their new T650?"
    If you are right, a graphic poll of unhappy customers is more likely to get P1's attention than an angry post...

Keith
    Quote Originally Posted by Cluemeister
    No offense intended dalai, but ultimatums like "I give you guys at P1 until Tuesday" are silly.
    Yeah, really. The only response that post is going to get from Palm One is laughter.
  6.    #6  
    Harsh, yes. Arrogant, maybe. On target, definately. And silly to give a time for a response? Possibly, but how long is long enough for them to address their mistakes? I do not think the big boys at PalmOne will hear anything short of what I posted. If they laugh, they laugh, as they lose customers. I stand by what I said. PalmOne is either interested in my business or it isn't. They don't have to make what I want, and I don't have to buy what they make. It would benefit all of us, however, if they did it right the first (second? third?) time.

Why do you all cower in fear when I frankly and clearly state my displeasure? Do you think PalmOne has a "destruct button" that will fry all of your treo's by remote control?
    http://www.doctordalai.com
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleReeck
    That's a pretty arrogant thing to post. Why are you so personally insulted that the 650 doesn't meet your needs? It doesn't work for you, you are disappointed, you let Palm One know (in a fair and mature resonse) and you move on. Simple.
    Don't you think it is very arrogant of P1 to put out the Treo 650 in this condition and still charge $600 for it and only "suspect" they will address these known flaws? We all know how fast P1 reacts.

I think the arrogance was on the part of Palm, thinking they could take full advantage of their loyal fan base to beta this Treo upgrade for $600.
    Why do you all cower in fear when I frankly and clearly state my displeasure? Do you think PalmOne has a "destruct button" that will fry all of your treo's by remote control?

hah...your'e joking right? That made me laugh.
    Yes, you have "frankly and clearly state(d) your displeasure". Over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over. We get it, you are not happy.

And by the way, not too many people care way or the other about defending Palm and are not cowering in fear. Maybe a large number of them just aren't as affected by the memory issue as you are and are happy with the device device its flaws.
    Quote Originally Posted by rbright
    Don't you think it is very arrogant of P1 to put out the Treo 650 in this condition and still charge $600 for it and only "suspect" they will address these known flaws? We all know how fast P1 reacts.

I think the arrogance was on the part of Palm, thinking they could take full advantage of their loyal fan base to beta this Treo upgrade for $600.
    Unless Palm has taken away your right to return the 650 to where you bought it from, then no, I don't think it's arrogant of them to release a device just because it doesn't work the way you think it should.
    If I received that email I would trash it. You're foolish for sending it. Way to email an idle threat. You act as if you got "hand".
    awesome, I was hoping you would create yet another thread on this subject.
    P1 does not care about you or any customer.

They care about how many carriers will buy Treos.

Customers, first adopters and all the rest, are just annoying things with go along with making product.

P1 mgmt has proven time and time again that they can take the golden goose and kill it. But what do you expect from a bunch of hacks.

I am now changing my use going forward from "P1" to "F1"
    (copyright 2004 mikec)
  14.    #14  
    PalmOne did not handle this well. This forum is about the only way to respond to them. One individual not buying their product will not even show up on their radar. A number of potential customers posting on a website devoted to their product will get their attention. I'm sorry if this troubles you. Feel free to block my posts if I am causing you that much distress. PalmOne might well do the same thing! That is your priviledge and theirs, just as it is mine to state my case.
    Dalai Lama,

Thank you for your letter and for taking the opportunity to act as the voice of the Treo fan base. If your ultimatum is what it'll take to keep you happy, then I'd like to thank you for your patronage in the past. See you next year.

Seriously, the poll of 650 users still shows an overwhelmingly positive response. Hopefully a lot more of us will get ours Tue/Wed and then we'll have a larger sample size.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    dalai,

Nobody's cowering in fear.

It's just a phone, not a life or death situation. Nobody's dying because of a product flaw. So the RAM is about 16 megs usable, not 23. You know this now, and have time to get a full refund, no questions asked.

Even better yet, if you bought from vienna, you can sell it on ebay and profit a couple of hundred bucks.

And for this, you're shouting like someone just ran over your dog.

Keep things in perspective, dalai.

Clue
    It's funny, before the 650 came out, how many threads were there saying, "release it already"?! Now that it's out, everyone is complaining, saying they shouldn't have released it so soon or w/out the bugs. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Bottom line is this:

1) From what I can read (don't have it yet, hopefully by Tues.), there are issues with this revamped device. This not at all uncommon with such an advanced product, especially in its first release. Haven't you ever heard the adage, don't buy a car (or anything involving technology) in its first year of production? That's b/c it takes a year or so to work out the bugs. No amount of beta testing can equal full product release, as far as IDing potential problems. It's just the nature of the beast and its the price you pay for being a bleeding edger. Consider youself a beta tester without the free device.

2) After looking at my friend's 600 yesterday, I am thoroughly impressed at how much functionality they can cram into such a small device. If you stand back and really look at it, it's amazing. Anything that does that much is bound to have some issues, and I'm sure P1 is already working on the first update.

3) The 650 can't be all things to all people, and maybe by trying to be, P1 bit off a little more than it can chew. But I have faith they will resolve most issues, it's suicide for them not to.

4) Your demand that they recall the 650 on Tues. is laugable, for two reasons....1) P1 would never do it (and shouldn't), and 2) most of the people on this board would never return them, no matter how much complaining they've done!
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by dean2526
    Your demand that they recall the 650 on Tues. is laugable, for two reasons....1) P1 would never do it (and shouldn't), and 2) most of the people on this board would never return them, no matter how much complaining they've done!
    In all seriousness, how much time is reasonable for a response? A week, a month, a year? I believe that there is a very short window of opportunity here. The more devices that are delivered, the less chance there is that PalmOne will do anything beyond advising us to wait for the Treo700 or whatever.

You are probably right about the folks on the board not wanting to part with the devices once they have one in their hands! This makes the time frame all the more important. People tend to become satisfied with the status quo, and I'm sure PalmOne is counting on that.
    Many crashes and lockups compared to the 600?!!

My 650 has had one reset in the last 20 or so hours that I've owned it. My 600 reset itself many more times when I was just starting out.
    Quote Originally Posted by dean2526
    3) The 650 can't be all things to all people, and maybe by trying to be, P1 bit off a little more than it can chew. But I have faith they will resolve most issues, it's suicide for them not to.
    I agree with most of what you had to say, but I do think that the 32mb is a bigger blunder than initial release bugs and pleasing all of the people. It seems from my reading that while a lot of people are overall happy with their new 650s, the 32mb means some serious squeezing to fits apps and data. When read posts where people's contact databases may not fit (granted people with 3k worth of contacts,) then I wonder about the Palm's decision. It's one thing if power users can't fit every app under the sun on it, and it's another if business users can't fit their contacts.

Demanding a recall, by tuesday no less, is laughable, but I do think P1 should seriously consider a memory bump, maybe as a new model (the 650x) that has 64mb or 128mb. I'd pay a little more and be happy for the choice.

I mean is anyone actually happy and truly okay with the fact that the 650 has less effective memory (a step backwards) than the 600. Does that make any sense?
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
    --Treo 650 unlocked/unbranded with Rogers
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast