Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalai Lama
    Sir, you give me too much credit. To think that PalmOne will come to this site or not based on what I post or don't post is a bit of a reach.
    You sir, are proving my point better than I could possibly attempt to prove it myself. I don't even need to say anything more about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodNamesRTaken
    PALM is going to be the Apple of handhelds in a few years, IMHO. Lot's of fiercly loyal users, but a fraction of market share.

Still profitable? Probably, Apple is. But nowhere near as much as the market leader.
    I know this is a bit off topic but Palm doesn't have quite the product range as compared to Apple.

I would say Apple IS the market leader of handhelds. You are fogetting about the iPod, iPod mini, iPod photo and iPod hp.
    Quote Originally Posted by archie
    I know this is a bit off topic but Palm doesn't have quite the product range as compared to Apple.

I would say Apple IS the market leader of handhelds. You are fogetting about the iPod, iPod mini, iPod photo and iPod hp.
    Hi,

I meant the Apple of the PC world, not of the handheld device world. Sorry for the confusion.

My point was simply this: I think PALM OS device market share will drop, and PPC device market share will rise over the next two years. Probably by a large amount.

And I am a 7 year PALM fanatic, so I don't particularly want this to happen - i just think it will.

Handspring was the smartphone innovator, PALM (the company) tends to innovate in much smaller increments.
    >Sir, you give me too much credit. To think that PalmOne will come to this site or not >based on what I post or don't post is a bit of a reach.

Handspring would have.

I miss Handspring :_(
    I have been using my 650 heavily all day long, and much of last night. To suggest that this phone should be recalled is just insanity. This product is not a lemon, not even close.

Many of you are trying to run software that is simply not compatible with the OS, and then you blame it on palmOne. Or you are running just plain buggy third party software, and blame it on palmOne.

Bleeding edge early adopters?? Legit early adopters would panic like this and make irrational demands. If you don't like the specs don't keep it, but asking for a recall is just ridiculous.
    lol ultimatums? come on now... I think the reason there are mostly complaints on here are because those happy with their product are busy glued to the device like I am. If they delayed the release people would've complained, now supposedly they released it too soon... ya can't make everyone happy. It's like some people waited for the device to arrive so they can nitpick it to death.
    Whine whine whine!!!! Why can't they just ship me my 650? I want it before THanksgiving and I ordered on Day one. Whine whine whine. Then I can play around with it instead of reading posts from other lucky owners. whine whine whine

I can understand the disappointment, frustration and concern upon the release of P1's greatly anticipated and publicized flagship product (the Treo) in its current state - which apparently, by several reports, is so unstable as to render the device nearly useless and definitely unreliable. While I cannot comment first-hand since I am still awaiting P1 to ship mine, I would add the following:

P1 essentially created the PDA market. No, they were not the first. No, it is not the same company today as it was in 1996. But PalmOS changed the computer world by being intuitive, stable, useful & efficient. I have been lured away from PalmOS a few times, only to long for the stability and reliability of my good ole' Palm. The OS continues to be intuitive and useful and more efficient than its primary competition. It is unfortunate that due to the evolving expectations, increased competition and financial pressures P1 has not been able to maintain this legacy of stability.

We should not be surprised by this. We have all requested everything but the kitchen sink in this device. There are enumerable posts complaining about the lack of WiFi, a higher-resolution camera, Cobalt, etc. Adding complexity almost inevitably creates a less-stable solution.

I too share the infortunate combination of being an early adopter along with a low tolerance for problems. Therefore, if I find myself frustrated by the 650's instability, I will return it. The nominal amount of $$$ I will be out will be my own fault for preordering a device I know may not meet my expectations.

I believe excessive product returns will get the message to P1 much more effectively than a post on these forums.
    HP 95-LX > Pilot 5000 > Cassiopeia 105 > Cassiopeia 115 > Handspring Visor > Palm M505 > Toshiba e740 > Palm Tungsten C > Palm Tungsten T3 > Dell Axim X30 > Treo 650
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    I'm sorry sir, you have NO CLUE how the hardware works. This is a software fix issue. I am a embedded systems programmer, I know what I'm talking about. Please keep your ultimatums to yourself.
    Mind telling me what you expect from a software update? Thanks for your bit of research into the problem(in another thread) but honestly I didn't come away with a clear picture of a fix.

If they change block sizes, won't that result in a slow down of memory access(at least in writes) since I thought that block size was chosen to optimise the speed/lifetime of the NVFM? Please -- I'm not the greatest software engineer myself, so correct me if I'm already way off base.

I did get a little lost in your analogies of writing to diff file systems. Perhaps the above has nothing to do with the "memory problems" cited here? Clear it up for me and I'll call you Sensei forever. Thanks.
    --
    jt
    Whoops -- ignore my reference to *your* research -- that was someone else. My question still stands though... Any insight while I debate canceling my order would be appreciated.
    Here is the latest I just Recieved from Palm 1 Dir of Dev. and I am impressed by this response...it was also CCd to several palm execs...I now believe they are seriously considering making this right...now lets give them a chance.

XXXX

I want you to know we are not ignoring this. Our team is looking into this and we need to make sure we have our facts straight as a team prior to making informal or formal responses that may confuse the issues. I have been in heavy email threads internally on this topic over the last 24 hrs and the community of users is indeed important.

Please give us the benefit of the doubt for several days while we evaluate the situation. We do care and I hope our engagement in a dialogue with you is a sign of our commitment to overall product quality.

Cheers,

Peter

?
    Sent: Sat 11/20/2004 8:42 AM
    To: Peter xxx
    Subject: Re: Some people-based gentle suggestions on dealing with memory problem on Treo 650

>
    > Peter, while I appreciate the reply, it is the stock political answer...no
    > commitment.
    >
    >
    > While your loyal customers will give Palm the mature professional time to fix
    > this...I don't think it matters who is right on a technical basis. The
    > perceived value of the customer is what matters. A good or bad buzz can make
    > or break a product, especially when some high visibility reviewers get a hold
    > of it a put on their spin. If palm is not pre-emptive in fixing this, and the
    > customers feel listened to, then others will hold off, think twice, delay,
    > feel vaguely unsafe, and change their mind about purchase they were about to
    > make with gusto. Many will look elsewhere.(Treo/PDA2K) this is an emotional
    > sale. Palm is not selling a phone. They are selling little kid gadget
    > excitement with a business excuse- and a dash of safety and trust. And when
    > that is damaged. People may not remember it, but they will always feel it.
    >
    > Just look at these threads...its not about the facts, its about the feelings
    > behind the facts - personal interpretation of perceived value.
    >
    > The marketing people can point to their sweet spot, and the tech people can
    > point to
    > their nonvolatile flash memory - and they will get to be right...but unless
    > they do the right thing and quickly
    > ...the people wont care.
    >
    > The perceived value of the customer is the bottom line.
    >
    > Respectfully,
    >
    > iZ
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123