Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Ok folks, here is my free-form T650 review. I got my device from Sprint on Thursday 11/18 and have been playing with it non-stop since. I am both delighted and a little frustrated. I expected some issues being on the bleeding edge and getting one of the first to roll-off the production line. And so far, despite my problems, I am still going to hang on to this beautiful little thing.

Out of the boxÖthereís nothing quite like opening a brand new Treo box. Itís like I am a kid again and it is Christmas morning.

Ok, so here are my thoughts:

1. Screen: The screen is absolutely beautiful. It is amazing how quickly your eyes adjust to the whopping resolution change. When you put the 650 next to the 600, it makes the 600 look like a childís plaything. It is breathtaking.
    2. Hotsync crashes: I have lots of trouble with hotsync making it through without crashing the 650. It happens randomly, but seems to have a particular problem with my memo database. It gets partway through the list of apps and then the 650 crashes. Luckily, it resets itself pretty fast and I try it again. It eventually works its way through. Hotsync, I mean that is pretty basic and a major problem to have issues there. I finally removed all palm apps from my laptop, and I mean everythingÖI got rid of the directories after the uninstall, removed the registry keys, got rid of everything. With a clean slate it seems to be better but still crashes a lot. This is very frustrating.
    3. Versamail: After the first hotsync crash or two, I got my personal Outlook Express account settings to transfer over for my Earthlink pop account. I am not going to use the Exchange stuff as I keep my personal calendar and my work calendar separate and I donít want work overwriting the default calendar. I quickly disabled the versamail conduit preferring to just download my email over the air and not have anything transfer over during a hotsync. I like Versamail a lot but it doesnít have a vibe-alert feature so Iíll probably go back to snappermail (if I can spare the memory to do so).
    4. Memory: As mentioned many other places in the forum, memory is an issue. Looks like I am going to have to go on an application diet to fit in this memory. This is frustrating.
    5. Realplayer: What, I canít delete Realplayer!! I canít even move it to my SD card with Zlauncher. Arggg!
    6. IR port: I have been trying to beam over data from the 600 and it is pretty flaky. Palm already knows it is an issue (see http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/W...tem,CASE=31578)
    7. New phone app: The new phone app is very nice. It shows if I have unread email waiting both in Versamail and Sprint BC. It shows the next appointment on my calendar. It is nicely redone.
    8. PocketTunes: You can now play WMA files with PocketTunes Deluxe without any detectable slow-down when using other apps or surfing the web. On the 600, a wma file would slow the phone down to a crawl. Thank you Intel.
    9. Camera: It is simply beautiful. Love the zoom ability, love being able to see a whole bunch of thumbnails, to rotate a picture, to annotate a picture (draw on it), to mail it off in a jiffy. This camera is actually going to be useable. I took a picture of my kids holding the 600 and the 650 side by side and snapped them at the same time for comparison. Hopefully, I can upload them.
    10. Palm desktop Media app: It is great. All pictures I tool both in memory and on the card are autosynched to the media app on the desktop. It allows some picture editing and has a great slideshow feature that will even export your picture slideshows as a WMV videos. I am very impressed.
    11. Screen protector: A single screen protector came in the box from palm. I tried to put it on but got some serious air bubbles in the middle that I could not coax to the edges without causing a distorted mess. Tossed it.
    12. Bluetooth to Laptop: After some tweaking, I was able to get BT hotsync working with my thinkpad A31p laptop like a dream. Very nice.
    13. Bluetooth to Bluetrek G2: Not so happy here about this. I cannot hear well on my G2 headset. I turn the volume all the way up to the top on the headset and I can still just barely hear the other party. They seem to hear me fine. If I try to increase the volume using the volume rocker on the side of the 650, I donít hear a difference but the other party I am speaking to says that my microphone saturates. I might be trying a new headset soon.
    14. Bluetooth to Headset for speech mp3s: I cannot make the BT headset work if I just wanted to listen to speech mp3s (yes, I know the quality will be poor but for speech it might be acceptable). To me it doesnít look possible. Has anyone else out there got it to work?
    15. Blazer: Love the new blazer, shows text immediately and then downloads pictures. What is absolutely amazing is the ability to download files. I downloaded a 1.5MB pc app to my SD card that someone sent me an email pointer to in like 1 minute! I couldnít believe it. I installed the latest version of ZLauncher (which supports the 650) over-the-air. Pretty sweet. Can choose a smallish font and fit lots of text on the screen. Was able to login to my credit-card website and see all my transactionsÖwasnít able to do that before.
    16. Keyboard: Somehow they made the keyboard better. I love it. It is better than my blackberry and the 600 by far. The keys are easier to press and after using it for 1 minute, going back to the 600ís keyboard is a pain.
    17. Buttons: I miss the power button on the top. I miss having a memo button. I used to use HBX on my 600 to overload all the buttons with multiple apps. Now, I am not able to use that because if I enable it at all for any buttons, it takes over the hangup-screen on-off button (formerly known as a memo button) and I cannot turn on the device very well (have to hit a hard button three times). I am investigating work arounds with other launchers like Colauncher and Qlaunch. Jury is still out of this one.
    18. Voicedial: I was not able to get the voicedial app to work at all, I mean not once. It has never yet recognized what I am trying to say, not even saying numbers, and I even did the number training. I finally deleted it and may try again later.
    19. Voice quality: Seems to be about the same as the 600 to my wifeís discriminating ears (which she says is OK but not great).
    20. Built-in apps: Some nice changes here. First of all, the middle button on the 5-way will now mark a task as complete. This was a big gripe of mine on the 650 as it took two hands to do. Tasks can be sorted multiple ways as well. Tasks can be setup as repeating as well (goodbye ReDo). The contacts app has a place to add a picture and the ability to add multiple addresses and a birthday. Scrolling in the memo app works a lot better than the 600. Pressing and holding the middle button on the 5-way will now pop-up a box that lists all of your pending alerts and the current time.
    21. Cell Radio: Have had a few dropped calls here at my home in the past few days, something that very rarely happened on my 600. I often call into hour-long meetings with my treo for work and I simply cannot drop calls. This could be a dealbreaker. I need to use it more to verify.
    22. Speaker: The external speaker seems louder than the 600. Hitting spacebar on a call doesnít turn on speakerphone anymore, which is too bad.
    23. Wired Headset: My Seidio stereo headset that I used on my 600 works like a dream.
    24. Movies with MMplayer: The 650ís screen, the faster Intel CPU, and a 1GB SD card makes the 650 a sweet media player. I converted a few episodes of the West Wing to AVI files using PocketDivX for the 320x320 screen and it is absolutely beautiful to watch! Files size was about 90MB per episode. Still playing with the PocketDivX recipe to get it just right but this is going to be amazing!

Thatís it for now. I will add to this thread as I get more experience.

-Gadgetpro
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gadgetpro; 11/20/2004 at 09:29 AM.
    you cant uninstall realplayer?

also, the buttons app in prefs. can you change/add alt options to the extra buttons?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  3.    #3  
    No I can't uninstall realplayer.

As for button app, yes, you can map the buttons to different apps (except for the hangup button) and can choose alt buttons with the option button. But with HBX, I had the option of 16 different apps with two button presses.
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Sounds like the long awaited Treo 650 is not quite ready for prime time. Thanks for your fine review of the T650 warts and all....
    Best,

Bill
    ><(((((`>
    Palm Treo Pro, iPhone 3G 16GB Refurb, Palm TX
    Waiting for Pre GSM!
    thx for the snappy review... my unit arrives Monday and this will prove invaluably helpful in getting up and running...

thx again
    Quote Originally Posted by eugarps
    Sounds like the long awaited Treo 650 is not quite ready for prime time. Thanks for your fine review of the T650 warts and all....
    That's why god created ROM updates
    Good review man.
    21. Cell Radio: Have had a few dropped calls here at my home in the past few days, something that very rarely happened on my 600. I often call into hour-long meetings with my treo for work and I simply cannot drop calls. This could be a dealbreaker. I need to use it more to verify.
    A cell phone with a few extra features for $600 that drops cell phone calls unexpectedly?

Yeah, I'd say that was a dealbreaker alrightee!
    Great review.
    I will add my 2 cents on the dropped call issue (including my first 650 oops) and voicedial

I havent had any problems with dropped calls, I need to get used to the screen going dark during a call (I thought I had dropped a call at one point but the screen just turned off because I was in the middle of a call, noticed the screen went dark while on the call (which is a nice add on) I went to turn the screen back on when and of course hit the Red Phone button which at all other times wakes up the 650 but what is the other function of this button?? to hang up a call and it worked, hung up my call - when on a call any other button brings the screen back on, have to get used to that.)

Voicedial worked fine for me right out of the box - fantastic add on

My only real complaint so far -- My innopocket case is now worthless, you can't access the new side button underneath the volume. I may need to find a way to cut it as I dont feel like paying for a new case.
    Last edited by LateNight; 11/20/2004 at 10:22 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor
    A cell phone with a few extra features for $600 that drops cell phone calls unexpectedly?

Yeah, I'd say that was a dealbreaker alrightee!
    your treo 650 is dropping calls?
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    <a href=http://www.anastrophe.com>www.anastrophe.com</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetpro
    9. Camera: It is simply beautiful. Love the zoom ability, love being able to see a whole bunch of thumbnails, to rotate a picture, to annotate a picture (draw on it), to mail it off in a jiffy. This camera is actually going to be useable. I took a picture of my kids holding the 600 and the 650 side by side and snapped them at the same time for comparison. Hopefully, I can upload them.
    -Gadgetpro
    I see at least one of your girls was happy for daddy and his new toy!
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetpro
    No I can't uninstall realplayer.

As for button app, yes, you can map the buttons to different apps (except for the hangup button) and can choose alt buttons with the option button. But with HBX, I had the option of 16 different apps with two button presses.
    I'd be curious to know what you think of SpeedLaunch or SpeedLaunch+ as a replacement for HBX.

Geoff
    www.geakware.com or mobile.geakware.com - Software for your Treo 600/650.
    Good review GadgetPro!

Thanks for rational/objective/subjective impressions on the bleeding edge w/o the whining.
    Great review...the differences in the pictures for the T600 and T650 are very dramatic. Before I wanted the cameraless version but now that its useable, if I make this purchase I will get the camera version.
  15.    #15  
    To respond to a few comments...

When I had the dropped calls, I was talking to people who were on their cell phones too. Whose phone did the dropping? Also, I am a little on the fringe of Sprint's service. The 600 served me well enough, I expect the 650 to perform at least as well as the 600. I am watching it closely.

I am trying Speedlaunch now, it looks like it has promise.

By the way, I am posting this from my T650 (Treocentral looks great on the 650).

Gadgetpro
    PLease test network performance and post results...

dslreports.com/mspeed

thx
  17.    #17  
    Ok, I tried Dslreports and got a whopping 111kbits/s or the 200kbyte file downloaded in 16 seconds.

-Gadgetpro
    1 115 1.388 15.279
    2 118 1.67 15.121
    3 114 1.433 15.401
    avg 115.6666667 1.497 15.267

tried 3x. NYC Metro Area, 4 bars of signal.
    my first test, on the 200k file: 90 kbit/sec
    2.473s latency (ick!)
    20.129s d/l time

this with two bars.

second test with signal fluctuating between one and two bars:

60kbit/sec
    2.076s
    28.373s d/l time
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    <a href=http://www.anastrophe.com>www.anastrophe.com</a>
    Like GadgetPro I was a little disappointed that I'd lost the 4th hardbutton, as I was using it for CoLauncher. What would be cool is if I can remap one of the "Shift" buttons for that purpose.

In the meantime, I'll look at SpeedLaunch.
    Bill Petro
    www.billpetro.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast