Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I can't help but laugh at the early adopters expecting all the kinks to be worked out on such a complex device like the 650.
    u had me laughing at dramacentral.
    Last edited by MarkEagle; 11/20/2004 at 02:23 PM. Reason: <full quote removed>
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    that was a pretty clever header for the thread...
    Yeah, the whining over the last month or so has been pretty severe. First, it's the WiFi. Oh how can Palm One leave out the WiFi, don't you realize how much money the are losing? (like we are all suddenly experts on business models or something). Then it was the memory, foolish Palm One giving us the same memory we had a year ago. Then the infamous "Oh my god, the color of the new Treo for Sprint is awful, how can they do this to us?" threads.

Then it was 500 "when is Palm shipping" threads. Why is it taking them so long? Why are they so incompetent? They lied to us! Then Sprint starts shipping and the new b*itch was about how can Sprint ship before Palm One. Don't they realize how much money they are losing by not shipping the P1 orders first? (Again, there's that business expert thing again).

Now people start getting them in their hands and there's the memory thing again. Oh how horrible. I no longer can sync by 500,000 contacts and install 100 applications. On my phone. How could P1 screw us like this? I placed 15 orders with 15 different places until one of them sent it to me, now after one hour with it, I'm sending it back!

Not there aren't legitimate issues with the 650. But good grief! No wonder so many PDA vendors like Sony are getting out of the US market and some like Toshiba are quitting all together.
    Last edited by DaleReeck; 11/20/2004 at 09:25 AM.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    I fully agree. The whining on here is terrible. -worse than usual, in fact.
    And mostly among members who don't even HAVE the device yet. Until the poll among 650 USERS shows a different picture, I don't see a reason to overreact. Now, if the 650 arrives on Tuesday and is verifiably bad, then I'll join the attack.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    I must agree this place is pretty rediculous.

I have my 650 and I couldnt be happier, this thing rocks. Does it have some things i would love to see addressed (memory, wifi - of course) but that doesnt mean it isnt the best smart phone out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny
    And mostly among members who don't even HAVE the device yet. Until the poll among 650 USERS shows a different picture, I don't see a reason to overreact. Now, if the 650 arrives on Tuesday and is verifiably bad, then I'll join the attack.
    amen on that. nothing more shrill, and lacking in integrity than clamoring about defects one thinks are there, but one hasn't verified oneself.

the most ridiculous one i just read suggested that, because one person who has a treo 650 reported having several calls drop, then that means the treo 650 is defective and not worth buying.

yeah, cell calls never randomly drop at inexplicable times with any other phones. nope. never.
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    <a href=http://www.anastrophe.com>www.anastrophe.com</a>
    Call us board members whatever you want, but even writers for USAToday echo these sentiments. Check out:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...martonetreo650

* "Unfortunately, Wi-Fi (wireless networking) is notably absent. Nor does the company yet offer any Wi-Fi add-on options."

* "Which leads me to another drawback: memory. Just 23 megabytes of RAM are available for storage - slightly less than its predecessor."

Recognize that it has much less memory than that drawback.

I'm not going to go into whether they are losing money. (They are probably gaining money by not putting 64MBs into it and conning people into thinking that it had the storage capacity 32MBs as the Treo 600. Think about it. Put both boxes side by side and memory looks like a wash. And yes, I put the con in there because unless there's some kind of note that explains it, that's what it is.)

As for the whole shipping thing, it does indeed bite. Overall that's not the worst thing in the world. I mean I still think it's wrong, but a week isn't going to affect my purchase or feeling towards the device.

A lot of this "whining" is done because there wasn't anything else to talk about with the device not being out. Even after the device is out, I don't think we'll have a similar forum as the Treo 600 one, because that Treo 600 had lots of things like camera hacks. I'm guessing those will all work and we'll be left to talk about the differences between the Treo 600 and the Treo 650. Reading that everyone can type 20% faster or that the processor is x faster is going to grow old quickly. We'll still read a lot about the bluetooth because that's entirely new. I doubt we'll read that someone gleefully changed their battery that afternoon.

So what are we going to talk about in this forum? It makes sense to come up with some constructive things that we could do if feature x or feature y were available, and Palm, who reads this forum, would bump up the priority of getting feature x and feature y going. It worked for MobiTV's engineers and they aren't even tied to the Palm OS.
    I'm thinking of selling the concept of "treocentral island" to a network as the latest reality show.

Tune in this week when negativtreouser and nevrhappy continue to cause trouble on the island. An excerpt:

negativ: "You don't understand! This is Armageddon! This could tip the scales of world power! There's not enough RAM on this device! Don't you hear me? Don't you understand!?"

nevrhappy: "I tried to warn everyone. Time to flood executive email boxes!"

negativ: "I swear on my mother's grave, if P1 doesn't fix this, I'll have to leave the island!"

Others: "Hooray!"

Clue
    DramaCentral it is! Great thread!!

If you haven't yet, I suggest you vote in this poll which is trying to guage the reality behind this drama.
    Last edited by silverado; 11/20/2004 at 11:16 AM.
    No one is saying the device is perfect but to expect utopia is a little rediculous. There are issues and those issues will get addressed somehow (do I see a Trei 670 in our future hehe) ALL devices have the same types of issues, overall the 650 is the best game in town, do other devices have more and manage memory better yes, wifi yes and if thats all you are interested in you would just buy one of those and you wouldnt still be here.

Its absolutely fine to ask that everyone in the forum send a personal email to P1 asking them to address this now but in the end thats all we can do. 200 threads of *****ing isnt going to get any action.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    Call us board members whatever you want, but even writers for USAToday echo these sentiments. Check out:
    and the name of that article?

"Edward C. Baig: Personal Tech - Trade in your dumb phone for a smart one: Treo 650"

ppl love the device even with the issues you sited.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Yes, amazing how we sometimes can focus only on the negative.
    Everytime a read a post like those mentioned above I get the same feeling I get each time my Treo does something cool: It's amazing how important a little box of silicon and metal can be. It enables me to do so much and I think it honestly makes my life better. As such I can understand why people can get so passionate about it.
    I feel like I'm back in high school again. Except all the hot females are now unhot male office workers.

TheHandlessKing
    Latest moBlog shot:
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe
    and the name of that article?

"Edward C. Baig: Personal Tech - Trade in your dumb phone for a smart one: Treo 650"

ppl love the device even with the issues you sited.
    I never questioned that people love the device. People are often most critical of the ones they love. If no one liked the Treo these boards would be empty with no members and no one posting anything.

For what it's worth Edward C. Baig never mentioned the latest and by far the biggest one in most people's minds. He did mention that keeping close the same memory as the Treo 650 was a drawback. Perhaps his entire article would be different if he knew at the time of press that you get 30-50% less memory.

If you doubt that the memory isn't a big issue why is PalmOne telling people that they will fix it?
    Great Thread, we need to pick a 'Drama Queen', nominations?
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    Great Thread, we need to pick a 'Drama Queen', nominations?
    The nominees are:

Seldomvisitor - for his relentless 2 year attack on treos as unsuccessful pieces of junk, even after sales cracked a million units.

Dalai Lama - for issuing demands and ultimatums to a company to fix a product he doesn't even own yet.

Others?

Clue
    Darn, you beat me to it... I was going to nominate myself as long as you changed the title to Drama KING!

Look at it this way. If my ranting gets this fixed, everyone benefits. If nothing comes of it, I've done nothing more than make a fool of myself, and no one is hurt but me. I'll buy a PPC 6601 and go annoy Microsoft and HTC.

Just tell me where the island is, and buy me a first class ticket. Hopefully, PalmOne as the producer of your DramaCentral program won't make me eat bugs to win the prize.

By the way, I disagree with Seldom on just about everything, but I begin to know how he feels. No, I haven't shorted any P1 stock, thanks.
    http://www.doctordalai.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast