View Poll Results: What do you think of the Treo 650?

Voters
138. You may not vote on this poll
  • Have one: Love it!

36 26.09%
  • Have one: It's okay.

6 4.35%
  • Have one: I'm sending it back!

6 4.35%
  • Don't have one: Can't wait to get mine!

35 25.36%
  • Don't have one: not sure yet.

37 26.81%
  • Don't have one: No way I'll buy one!

18 13.04%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Is this all-out anger about the memory issue felt by actual users of the 650? Or is it more by potential users who haven't yet spent any quality time with the device?

Let's have a poll so that we can have a clearer picture.
    Last edited by silverado; 11/20/2004 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Fixed typo
    Not sure if this is the best thread to do it, but another user posted an app-by-app comparison in another thread comparing the amount of memory his apps took up on his Treo 300 vs Treo 650. Of course, that's not an apples-to-apples comparison because the 300 is OS3.5 and so many of the apps loaded are not the same compiles (one version for pre-OS5 devices, one for OS5). So, if we could get some similar app-by-app memory usage comparisons by users who own both a 600 and 650, that could help to document how real this issue is or isn't.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Are there two memory issues? That's what I am understanding. One storage and one Flash ROM. If you notice the database is very slow. For example, when you go to your call log and try to call that peron back, it takes 3 or 4 seconds for it to dial. It's very slow at times.

What are the memory issues?
    I have had my 650 for 1 day and the memory really isnít an issue for me. Overall, Iím glad I bought the phone.
    I voted "Don't have one, not sure yet" on the off chance that PalmOne will deal with the memory issue. I can dream, can't I?
    http://www.doctordalai.com
    the memory issue is a very real problem, and a potential deal breaker, for many power users. for many other users, it's no big deal at all.

if you have a huge contact database, you may simply be SOL - no way to load them all into the treo.

if you don't have huge databases, and don't rely on many very large (bloated?) apps, then you'll be fine.

i have a 650. i have a handful of contacts. i use a few relatively small apps. i've not been notable inconvenienced by the memory.

i have a portable workstation in my pocket. i've cast off the chains that held me to my desk.

i'm pickled tink!
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    <a href=http://www.anastrophe.com>www.anastrophe.com</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalai Lama
    I voted "Don't have one, not sure yet" on the off chance that PalmOne will deal with the memory issue. I can dream, can't I?
    After everything you have been saying you don't have one yet...Ha
    "Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do but it doesn't get you anywhere... Write that down."
    -Van Wilder
    Quote Originally Posted by anastrophe
    if you don't have huge databases, and don't rely on many very large (bloated?) apps, then you'll be fine.
    speaking of which, my last palm device was a Palm V. i had that thing jammed with this, that, and the other. 2 megs of ram.

as with all things, as time passes, and more ram becomes the norm, apps become bloated. twas ever thus.
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    <a href=http://www.anastrophe.com>www.anastrophe.com</a>
  9.    #9  
    I understand it's a real problem. This poll is trying to find out how real is the outcry out there. How many people really think it's such a "disaster" for P1 like it's been called.
    ...and if I don't load Pocket Quicken, another 1/3rd of the other apps that fit fine onto my Treo 600 (and I still had over 4MB remaining on it)... THEN the Treo 650 will work. Oh yes, forget about even considering loading that Handmark Express (minimum 4MB, recommended 8MB internal memory) that I picked up with my "smart" phone from PalmOne. That's a definite return as it's a no-go before I even tear off the shrinkwrap...

I got Vindigo manually moved onto the SD card, and every other vfs-compatible app over there too.... WTF was PalmOne thinking? Obviously this thing is a dead duck if I ever try using that "improved" camera or video (unless the throughput to the SD card has been massively improved).

I gave up a Zodiac 2 just before I learned that Sprint had (finally) released a bluetooth phone last December (only sold through telesales). Looks like PalmOne shot for the middle of the road once again, and crippled this 650 for anyone other than people who have the barest of applications and databases - leaving "power users" (translation: anyone who really uses their devices toward the potential they aspire to) SOL and stuck staring at that crappy low-res screen on the 600 for another year or more until PalmOne releases their next attempt (or merges into Microsoft or Apple because they totally blew it here).
    At least they didn't take away the vibration function (yet).

Never thought I'd be saying it, but this 650's going right back (after I've played with it and kept an eye out if anyone has an answer to getting at least as much memory out of it as the paltry Treo 600). For everything they've fixed over the 600- I can't use the *&$$* thing for what it is supposed to do at it's essence: BE A PDA AND A PHONE!

Thanks Palm. $650.99 for effectively 1/2 the memory of last year's model. Absolutely brilliant.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    It's a bit crazy that effectively you get LESS memory on the 650 than you did on the 600. Isn't this supposed to be an upgrade?

The problem I see for P1 is that the memory issue isn't going to only effect power-users who like lots of apps. A lot of business users and sales people are going to have large contact databases and that's why they're willing to pay $600 for phone. If they can't load their contacts onto the 650 then it's useless to them and P1 isn't going to make the headway their looking for in the business market.
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
    --Treo 650 unlocked/unbranded with Rogers
  12.    #12  
    Yes, memory is tigher on the 650 and that is very unfortunate. However, to focus ONLY on memory is crazy. I would say the device on the whole is definitely an upgrade. Much more positive than negative, and I'm someone who was struggling to keep 4megs free on the 600 with tons of stuff on the SD card.

And yes, I can save video to the SD card just fine.
    If one had a Treo 300 or a non-Treo, it would make sense to buy the 650. I've been eagerly waiting, and i've been trying really, really, really hard to justify a $600 upgrade from the Treo 600 -> Treo 650.

But, it's just not there. Doubling the resolution is great, no doubt. But losing 40% of the internal memory counterbalances that. Now, is being able to use a bluetooth wireless headset and car kit worth $600? Well, not to me. The thin headset cable isn't that bad, and they are so cheap when I sit on it, I simply buy another. Also, what of my $200 worth of Treo 600 accessories? Worthless. So, I guess the Treo 650 is really an $800 upgrade to get to the same point that I am now.

And will the $300 or so of software that I bought work? Maybe, maybe not.

Being that it's just a slight upgrade to the phone I already have, with some things added, some things taken away, and fully incompatible with every accessory I own - this one is tough to justify.

I've been using PALM exclusively since the 90's. I started wireless email on the Palm VII (anyone remember that?) I got the developer kit, joined the PalmDEV program, began writing apps, and was responsible or many people getting Palm Devices. I was litererally a Palm ***** and people got sick of me talking about my PALM devices. I was basically an unpaid PRPRPR $person$ $in$ $a$ $large$ $city$.

Now, i'm eyeballing the PPC6600, and bugging Sprint about when it will be available.

Do I feel like an awful traitor? Well, yes, yes I do. I thought this 650 would have tons of RAM, a 1.3mpxl camera and Wi-Fi, along with the screen upgrade.

A 40% memory reduction, and 640x480 camera? Ouch.

As bad as I feel for putting the money aside for the PPC, i'm not sure anybody could blame me.

There simply is not a real, viable reason to pay $800 to go from the Treo 600 to the Treo 650. The only NEW thing you can really do is use wireless headsets and hotsyncs. Cradle hotsyncing once a day really only takes 60 seconds.

I hate to say it, but i'm not buying it. And you have no idea how suprised my collegues, friends, and associates are going to be to hear this.

I think it's going to be a PPC world in 2 years. I might as well start getting famiiar with it.

It looks like it's the end of a superb 1995-2004 run for PALM, and i'll miss it.
    Speaking of the alternative, does anyone know when the PPC6000 is being released?

Sprint doesn't know (at least the folks I spoke with)
    i posted my experiments with the contacts issue here:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=62773

has pics and everything
  16.    #16  
    I have posted a workable solution to help with many of these memory problems.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=62952
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    Not sure if this is the best thread to do it, but another user posted an app-by-app comparison in another thread comparing the amount of memory his apps took up on his Treo 300 vs Treo 650. Of course, that's not an apples-to-apples comparison because the 300 is OS3.5 and so many of the apps loaded are not the same compiles (one version for pre-OS5 devices, one for OS5). So, if we could get some similar app-by-app memory usage comparisons by users who own both a 600 and 650, that could help to document how real this issue is or isn't.

Scott
    here are some Side by Side comps

SnapperMail t600-705k t650-1,047k
    SheetToGo t600-621k t650-877k
    Documents t600-338k t650-467k
    KeyCaps600 t600-10k t650-17k

This is rather disheartening, as long as we have waited for this, to run into something like this is unforgiveable. My biggest question is can and how can it be fixed???
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodNamesRTaken

I think it's going to be a PPC world in 2 years. I might as well start getting famiiar with it.

It looks like it's the end of a superb 1995-2004 run for PALM, and i'll miss it.
    Good luck to you, then. We will welcome you back with open arms.
    Such a shame... I simply can't fit my necessary databases/apps onto a 650 I already have everything possible moved to the SD card on my 600. I must admit, this is the first time I've ever been angry at Palm. I've always been able to forgive (and even applaude) them for being behind the competition but this is different. This is broken.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodNamesRTaken
    If one had a Treo 300 or a non-Treo, it would make sense to buy the 650. I've been eagerly waiting, and i've been trying really, really, really hard to justify a $600 upgrade from the Treo 600 -> Treo 650.

But, it's just not there. Doubling the resolution is great, no doubt. But losing 40% of the internal memory counterbalances that. Now, is being able to use a bluetooth wireless headset and car kit worth $600? Well, not to me. The thin headset cable isn't that bad, and they are so cheap when I sit on it, I simply buy another. Also, what of my $200 worth of Treo 600 accessories? Worthless. So, I guess the Treo 650 is really an $800 upgrade to get to the same point that I am now.

And will the $300 or so of software that I bought work? Maybe, maybe not.

Being that it's just a slight upgrade to the phone I already have, with some things added, some things taken away, and fully incompatible with every accessory I own - this one is tough to justify.

I've been using PALM exclusively since the 90's. I started wireless email on the Palm VII (anyone remember that?) I got the developer kit, joined the PalmDEV program, began writing apps, and was responsible or many people getting Palm Devices. I was litererally a Palm ***** and people got sick of me talking about my PALM devices. I was basically an unpaid PRPRPR $person$ $in$ $a$ $large$ $city$.

Now, i'm eyeballing the PPC6600, and bugging Sprint about when it will be available.

Do I feel like an awful traitor? Well, yes, yes I do. I thought this 650 would have tons of RAM, a 1.3mpxl camera and Wi-Fi, along with the screen upgrade.

A 40% memory reduction, and 640x480 camera? Ouch.

As bad as I feel for putting the money aside for the PPC, i'm not sure anybody could blame me.

There simply is not a real, viable reason to pay $800 to go from the Treo 600 to the Treo 650. The only NEW thing you can really do is use wireless headsets and hotsyncs. Cradle hotsyncing once a day really only takes 60 seconds.

I hate to say it, but i'm not buying it. And you have no idea how suprised my collegues, friends, and associates are going to be to hear this.

An interesting post. I don't know how you get half your numbers though. A Treo 600 with $200 worth of accessories is worth at least $400 on eBay. So that cuts your price of the Treo 650 in half. Take Palm's free $99 bluetooth headset and you could probably get a $475 on ebay for the package. Suddenly you aren't paying $800 for a Treo 650 any more. You'd be paying a net of about $125 plus whatever accessories you need (which doesn't include bluetooth it seems, so that will save you money). Lastly if you bought from Sprint you might be eligible for their rebate program, so that would be even more money off.

You don't get double the resolution from the Treo 650, you get quadruple (do the math 320x320 is 4x160x160).

All that said, I agree with the spirit of your post. I am very against the memory limits on the Treo 650. I just felt like I'd clear up a large part of this math.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast