1.    #1  
    Everything we have heard out of P1, and that has been minimal at best, suggests that their "extensive" market research told them that memory wasn't an issue for the vast majority of Treo 650 customers. Here is a simple question: were you polled, queried, or contacted in ANY form by P1, or do you know someone who was, on this issue? Did you participate in any focus groups? I think their suits/bean counters made the memory decision on the basis of sheer marginal cost alone, and maybe they all asked each other at the water cooler. It seems doubtful to me that they actually contacted even the tiniest portion of their customer base, let alone a statistically-significant sample. The lame fall-back position is that the new memory is non-volatile, and "everyone" thought it a reasonable trade off for less usable memory overall. How many of us have had a complete loss in the field due to low/discharged battery? And even if you did, were you not able to restore the device with HotSync and/or SD card and BackupMan/Buddy? Again, I don't think they asked any of US.
    http://www.doctordalai.com
    No. They did not ask me. They asked Sprint.

Palm OS has always, until now, used memory more efficiently than competitive systems. That said memory has always been a serious limitation.

The problem here is "smartphone." If one thinks of the Treo as a smartphone, then memory is not an issue. When P1 asks Sprint if memory is a big issue, the answer is clearly no. Many of their business customers do not have any ability to sync to a desktop or to add arbitrary applications of their own choice. If, as many of us here, one chose the Treo because it is a good PDA, then memory is THE issue.
    Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalai Lama
    Everything we have heard out of P1, and that has been minimal at best, suggests that their "extensive" market research told them that memory wasn't an issue for the vast majority of Treo 650 customers. Here is a simple question: were you polled, queried, or contacted in ANY form by P1, or do you know someone who was, on this issue? Did you participate in any focus groups? I think their suits/bean counters made the memory decision on the basis of sheer marginal cost alone, and maybe they all asked each other at the water cooler. It seems doubtful to me that they actually contacted even the tiniest portion of their customer base, let alone a statistically-significant sample. The lame fall-back position is that the new memory is non-volatile, and "everyone" thought it a reasonable trade off for less usable memory overall. How many of us have had a complete loss in the field due to low/discharged battery? And even if you did, were you not able to restore the device with HotSync and/or SD card and BackupMan/Buddy? Again, I don't think they asked any of US.

Actually I did participate in a focus group about smartphones back in April....they did ask what features were important, but alas, I did not say memory as I was sure the next gen would have had an increase.
    Quote Originally Posted by jasparks
    Actually I did participate in a focus group about smartphones back in April....they did ask what features were important, but alas, I did not say memory as I was sure the next gen would have had an increase.
    Always has. My Palm Vx had 8, my 270 had 16, my 600 had 32. I just assumed 64. Silly me.
    Here is the latest I just Recieved from Palm 1 Dir of Dev. and I am impressed by this response...it was also CCd to several palm execs...I now believe they are seriously considering making this right...now lets give them a chance.

XXXX

I want you to know we are not ignoring this. Our team is looking into this and we need to make sure we have our facts straight as a team prior to making informal or formal responses that may confuse the issues. I have been in heavy email threads internally on this topic over the last 24 hrs and the community of users is indeed important.

Please give us the benefit of the doubt for several days while we evaluate the situation. We do care and I hope our engagement in a dialogue with you is a sign of our commitment to overall product quality.

Cheers,

Peter

?
    Sent: Sat 11/20/2004 8:42 AM
    To: Peter xxx
    Subject: Re: Some people-based gentle suggestions on dealing with memory problem on Treo 650
    Quote Originally Posted by jasparks
    So it's jasparks fault! Everyone, grab the pitchforks and torches!
    Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cluemeister
    So it's jasparks fault! Everyone, grab the pitchforks and torches!
    LOL Somehow I knew this was coming...that'll teach me.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    No. They did not ask me. They asked Sprint.
    In a long-ago thread, I noted long before the official announcements that upper level Sprint execs were using trying out the 650 and filling out survey forms.

Later on I suggested that that is not the best way to test a phone like this. Those guys likely don't have huge contact lists they carry on their cell phone and, if they do, are unlikely to try and port them and other apps over to a new phone they have for a trial basis (that is assuming that they even KNOW how to transfer such things or that they were allowed to on a trial phone). At most, the execs would use the phone as it came, play with some of the built-in apps and report back.

Its not bad that these types were part of a testing program, for that in certainly one group of customers, but, if they didn't have more than just that, that may well have been the problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan
    In a long-ago thread, I noted long before the official announcements that upper level Sprint execs were using trying out the 650 and filling out survey forms.

Later on I suggested that that is not the best way to test a phone like this. Those guys likely don't have huge contact lists they carry on their cell phone and, if they do, are unlikely to try and port them and other apps over to a new phone they have for a trial basis (that is assuming that they even KNOW how to transfer such things or that they were allowed to on a trial phone). At most, the execs would use the phone as it came, play with some of the built-in apps and report back.

Its not bad that these types were part of a testing program, for that in certainly one group of customers, but, if they didn't have more than just that, that may well have been the problem.
    I have a good friend. She is a partner in a mid-size firm. The firm is a customer of Sprint. Sprint sold the firm Treos for executives, managers, and professionals. She does not sync or add applications. I put DA on her phone; she loves it. The alternative way for her to get contacts on her phone is to enter them manually.

From Sprint's point of view (remember, they are a phone company), she is the typical Treo user.