1.    #1  
    I've upgrade from a Kyocera 6035 to the Treo 650 and noticed that the 650 is slow with certain transitions.

For instance, if the keypad & screen are locked, and I hit either the green or red button it takes a second for the screen to light up, and another noticable pause until the "keyguard: ...." message box shows up.

ALSO, once I find a contact and highlight a phone number and then hit the green button to actually dial it...the screen goes white for a good 3-5 seconds until the "dialing" screen shows up.

Is this normal? Is there a better way to initiate a call after looking up the number from contacts?

P.S. I do really love my Treo650! But then again I don't have thousands of contacts or calendar entries so the memory isn't such a big deal
    OH? It sounds like you are being affected, you just don't know it yet.

Read the first post in this thread, it sounds like it would cause your symptoms. http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=62816

We all want to love our 650's its just getting harder to do
    Me too. When you highlight a contact it takes a second for it to dial. It's very slow at times.
    I've noticed this too, many actions seem to have a slight delay on them, compared to my 600. However, everything about this new phone is so much nicer, screen, feel of buttons, etc, I think I can live with it. Maybe it is something I have to get used to in daily operation.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by pshifrin
    I've noticed this too, many actions seem to have a slight delay on them, compared to my 600. However, everything about this new phone is so much nicer, screen, feel of buttons, etc, I think I can live with it. Maybe it is something I have to get used to in daily operation.
    Yeah I'll agree with that....I can get use to the delay...

I am disappointed. I've switched from a kyocera 6035, 4+ year old technology, I would expect the 650 to be just as fast, if not faster.
    I posted this in antother thread, but seems appropriate here:

Other than the T5, are there other devices out there w/ the non-volatile (sp?) memory?

Obviously seems like the biggest complaint by far on the 650 is the memory issues. Not just that there is only approx 23MB of usable memory, but how the allocation of that memory is executed. Also, from what I've read, the active transfer of memory from RAM to flash slows down the operation when a programs "asks" for information.

So, obviously, there are drawbacks to the nvfs memory. I would have to guess, that the allocation of memory in 512kb chunks has something to do w/ the nvfs system (just a guess from a non-technical guy, but I have stayed in a Holiday Inn Express before)

Sounds like the T5 has some of these issues also, but w/ significantly more memory, the simple storage shortcomings aren't as evident immediatly, though the other ramifications and incompatibilities are evident. Some of that will be worked out with application updates/modifications etc, but not all.

But are there other devices with this type of memory, or is Palm the first manufacturer that is using this in handheld or similar devices?
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    the contact thing sucks. takes like 2 extra seconds