1.    #1  
    I am trying to hotsync my 650 via bluetooth with my IBM laptop. Both devices recognize each other. However, the instruction on the phone say to set up a virtual port on the laptop. Currently, ports 1 and 3 are available under the local tab. However, when I try to sync from the phone, it says that both ports are in use. What am I missing here? If I need to set up a virtual port, can someone tell me how to do in on an IBM T40 with XP?

On a side note, I love the phone and am off tomorrow to buy a bluetooth headset and SD memory card. Is there anything specific that I should look for in the card or headset?

Thanks in advance
    Right mouse on the BT icon in your taskbar and choose Advance configuration. If your thinkpad is like mine (I have a A31p w/XP) you should have a Local services tab. Find the BT serial port line and double-click it. Choose startup automatically and secure connection and a com port. Click ok, ok. Then right mouse on the hotsync icon and make sure local is checked and then make sure you pick the same port as you picked in the BT port. Then hit the hotsync icon on your 650 choosing the name of you laptop in the pull-down, hold your breath, and hotsync like the wind.

Good luck
    -Gadgetpro
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    I am having a problem as well, I can see them, but I get a detection of service failed error. Any thoughts?
    When I try to configure my bluetooth adapter on my laptop with my treo, the laptop asks for a pin number, saying my device (treo) should provide one. Am I doing something wrong? I never used bt before, so I don't really know what I'm doing!
    It worked on my IBM X40 - after I downloaded the latest bluetooth software from IBM.
    Quote Originally Posted by XistBoi
    It worked on my IBM X40 - after I downloaded the latest bluetooth software from IBM.
    Same here. Before I installed the IBM Bluetooth software from the IBM support downloads, you could barely tell my notebook had Bluetooth installed. Once that was installed, I was able to get the Bluetooth sync working in a few mins.

ctdw
    Quote Originally Posted by ido
    When I try to configure my bluetooth adapter on my laptop with my treo, the laptop asks for a pin number, saying my device (treo) should provide one. Am I doing something wrong? I never used bt before, so I don't really know what I'm doing!
    Just try hitting OK without entering in a PIN number on both devices (ThinkPad and Treo). If you didn't setup a PIN, then blank should work fine.

ctdw
    I successfully Hotsynched via BT between my PBG4 and Treo 650. It was great, albeit a little slow.
    how do you create a virtual serial port? apparently that's the next step i'm not getting.............

btw, thanks for your help!
    I entered a code that I made up on the thinkpad, then repeated it on the Treo when asked and it worked.
    sorry, read a few posts up after the fact....
    but, still stuck on the last bit of instructions: once i'm done with the laptop, what exactly do i need to do to the palm???
    can't you pair it as you did with the headset? Set the Dongle to be discoverable and then have the Treo search for discoverable devices
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    hey! apparently there are more steps involved than just pairing like a headset, but i either skipped a step or two, or missed the boat entirely!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ido
    look in the T650 manual and see if there is a default PIN number
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Here is what i did with my T41p

Turn Blutooth on (this is from the is it plugged in school of troiubleshooting, but some laptops have a button or SW switch to do this).
    Double click the bluetooth icon in the tray
    go to the COM tab - select add, and add a com port - mine was Com 4
    Set hotsync to Local (not just Local USB)

Setup the phone:
    turn bluetooth on, and go through the device setup for hotsync

When the devices discover each other (i did set my phone to auto discover, i don't know if i needed to) a dialog popped up on thebibm asking if i wanted to permit the device to connect (balloon help from the bluetooth tray icon) - i accepted. Then it asked for a pin
    put in a pin on the laptop, the phone will then ask for a pin (there is no evidence that the phone wants a pin until this point). Enter the same pin on the phone and voila - hotsync away

Since there is no USB hotsync / charging cable i can find i donth think i'll be carrying a cable on the road, just a charger.
    I am trying to pair my Treo 650 with my Logitech® Cordless Desktop® MX™ for Bluetooth®. The two devices see each other just fine but they refuse to pair until I can figure out a valid pin/passcode for the other devices. I have tried 0000 and leaving them the box blank and neither works. I can't find any faq or forum that mentions these two specific devices together.

Does anyone have another suggestion?

Well, to answer my own question, you have to use the Logitech Software, go to Advanced Configuration, go to Local Services, Click on Bluetooth Serial Port, Click Properties, and uncheck Secure Connection.

Very simple really.
    Last edited by michaelkpate; 01/07/2005 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Found the answer