Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Man, this is sure a depressing message board. Is there anyone out there that has a new 650 that is completely satisfied with it? I am thinking seriously about just canceling my P1 after reading all these postings. Are these complaints something that just super-power users might run across or something that your average user will encounter?
    I love mine. I'm posting from it. Just got it provisoned. The screen rocks & so does the keyboard.

Just AWESOME.

Sure there are issues, but who expected it to be perfect? We've just grown accustomed to the 600's shortcomings.
    Agreed MHR!
    Quote Originally Posted by MHR
    I love mine. I'm posting from it. Just got it provisoned. The screen rocks & so does the keyboard.

Just AWESOME.

Sure there are issues, but who expected it to be perfect? We've just grown accustomed to the 600's shortcomings.
    How long did you wait for provisioning?
    I am happy with mine. I could never go back to the screen on the 600!

ctdw
    having demoed a treo 600 for 14 days, which ended yesterday evening an hour after i got my 650 (just barely made it to the sprint store before they closed to return the 'old' one), and now on at the end of day one with the 650, i can say that this is an absolutely fabulous device.

1. whine that it was merely a deficiency that they're correcting, and i suppose i might agree, but having the Applications and Menus buttons right below the screen is just wonderful. yes, it's where they should have been all along. well, now they're there, and it's just a great pleasure using them now.

2. the keyboard is much improved. i'd go so far as to say it's a dramatic improvement. i was doing okay on the treo 600 keyboard, getting faster day by day, but the new keyboard is a breeze. i can type easily three times faster here on day one as i was doing on day 14 with the treo 600. the backlight is terrific too.

3. using a rocker button for the volume up down is nice. not a masterstroke obviously, but an improvement on the former two-button arrangement.

4. much more intuitive, and a simpler, smarter design having the 'wireless on/off' accomplished by pressing and holding the power/end button, rather than a separate, dedicated button for it as on the treo 600, which seemed kind of strange to begin with.

5. removeable battery. nice. not necessary, but nice. and definitely a better option than that humongoid add-on battery thing that the treo 600 had.

6. nice touch - reset button inside battery compartment, doesn't need any stylus twiddling to use it - just press the stylus tip in the recess. i have yet to have to use it, by the way.

7. stylus is nice too, nice heft.

8. sound on/off slider is improved - having a raised nubbin is better than the notch in the treo 600's slider.

9. i've read a complaint or two that the five way isn't as precise as the 600's. i can't say i agree or disagree. have had no trouble with it myself.

10. saving the best for last: the screen. now, admittedly, i've not been a Palmoid for years. i started with the Palm III years ago, then got a Palm V. that was my last palm device for several years before getting the treo 600. using that 600 for two weeks, it was wonderful having the color screen, i rather enjoyed it. but i got this treo to be able to unshackle myself from my workstation. i want to be able to do my job (unix sysadmin) without being chained to a desk. using pssh on the treo 600 was, well, possible. i mean, i got it to run, but with the choices of font either being micro tiny, so small that a character barely hit a handful of pixels, making it nearly unreadable, or a larger font that was clearly readable, but that meant that a single standard line of text wrapped about four lines in being displayed - well, it was very frustrating. i'd started building up a cache of new shell aliases, so i could get things done in the minimum of keystrokes, but that wore thin quickly.

now, it's a whole new gig, baby. i can run top, and see almost the entire display. my lines don't wrap unless they're pathetically long to begin with. the screen font is crisp, clear, and easy to read (i'm 45, so need reading glasses most of the time - but i can get by without them with the treo 650, an impossibility with the treo 600). the dot pitch is so tight, and the screen is bright and clear - it's like a window. just amazing. as i mentioned in another topic, you couldn't get me to part with my treo 650 if you offered me twice the price (well, of course, duh, sure i would and i'd immediately buy another 650!).

i'm very, very happy with my treo 650. the memory problem? solved by tossing the two dozen half-assed apps i'd installed simply because i could, but that offered no real value or functionality. not to minimize the problem for those with huge contact db's etc - it's an issue for them. not for me however. yes, it would be nice to have more. who knows, maybe some smart fellow will figure out a way to break the nvfs mirroring, to double the available ram. who knows?

in the meantime, i'm happy as a clam.

how's that?
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    <a href=http://www.anastrophe.com>www.anastrophe.com</a>
    anastrophe has some good points. I also tossed a bunch of apps I wasn't using. Keeping around stuff "just because" isn't an option on the 650, so I dumped some junk. Also, the screen and keyboard are major improvements. Overall pretty satisfied here!
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    its freakin beautiful.
    I just got my 650 today and it's very cool.

We have also start a contest for users to win a free case for the 600. Check out www.trebits.com for more details.

www.treobits.com
    Treo 600 friendly website with Ringtones, Shoutcast Feeds and more...
    Great review, anastrophe. I am a geek myself so that sounds similar to how I would use the device. Great job. Kudos!
    Pager > Nokia ???? > Nextel i1000 > Nextel i1000 plus > T-Mobile Sidekick (B&W) > Nokia 3650 > Treo 650 GSM Cingular - Bought via TreoCentral (Feb 2005)
    BTW, anastrophe & talkin, can you list the apps that you tossed away? I am waiting for my GSM model, but it'll be great if you can list them. Maybe even start a thread to list them.
    Pager > Nokia ???? > Nextel i1000 > Nextel i1000 plus > T-Mobile Sidekick (B&W) > Nokia 3650 > Treo 650 GSM Cingular - Bought via TreoCentral (Feb 2005)
    WTF are you talking about? The Treo 650 is GREAT! The resolution on the screen is great. The camera is great. The sound on the phone is great.

No problems here! (knock on wood)
    Nicely done, Anastrophe. FWIW, I'm very happy with the 650 for now. The screen is utterly amazing and typing on it works so much better for me. Also very happy to see the improvements in the camera. I'm looking forward to getting Treo 650-compatible apps as they are released but I am not installing any of my old 600 apps unless/until I know for sure they work on the 650 (gotta love TC!)

Provisioning was smooth and quick for me. I did a clean initial HotSync (i.e. backing up/renaming my Treo 600 palm folder so that hotsync wouldn't install my old 600 apps) and it went smooth as butter. Vision is clocking at around 90 kbps which is a marked improvement over the 600 in my area. Versamail is working with both my POP work account and personal IMAP account.

Complaints? Sure, I have one but it's a minor issue for me. The speaker crackles with the default midi ringtones, but doesn't when using the speakerphone or listening to Mp3's so I think it's a problem with the midi application.

It's met my expectations and in some cases exceeded them. I'm lovin it.
    Paul,

Thanks for your in-depth first impression review.
    I LOVE mine. I'm posting from it too. I have installed most of the software I need without problem. I think the problems are exaggerated. This wailing that's going on is amazing.... Sounds like these so-called palm lovers will love it to death by grossly badmouthing the company. What will a novice who's googling about smart phones find out? Most likely they will come out with the impression that the Treo 650 is bad news and to stay away from it.

Quite sad.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    i can tell u this............ if youre a sysadmin like me and u can log on and with crystal clarity, bring up command prompts via MobileTs and run diagnostics .. well thats just beatiful. just seeing every character clearly is amazing!
    well, you know, the majority of complaints made here about the treo 650 are made by power users.

im an enthusiast myself. I wouldve liked more memory and a flash camera, but in reality, if you are someone who is buying the treo 650 for the first time, YOU WILL LOVE THIS SMARTPHONE!!!

the hardcore treo addicts will find fault with the t650 as I have previously, but this is because we have worked with the treo 600 for so long, have gotten so used to it, that our expectations are very, very high.

I think you should buy this treo. the screen, the keyboard, the new blazer, the bluetooth.... ITS AWESOME if this is your first treo.

take the comments we make as hardcore users with a grain of salt.
    I think it will be a knockout in the smart device market for the next 2 years.

YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED.
    Quote Originally Posted by cortjestir
    Complaints? Sure,
    no no no!!! no complaints in this topic! this is the Much Love topic! we must have a place to give credit for the great things about the treo 650, without the incessant crying from some who are bitter because the treo 650 isn't...isn't....well, because it isn't the treo 880 that it's *supposed* to be!

Paul Theodoropoulos
    <a href=http://www.anastrophe.com>www.anastrophe.com</a>
    Wow with the half assed T5 released that brought on a wave of complaints, PalmOne surely did good with the Treo 650 and so far it's been 90% positive Can't wait to get mine... my Treo 600's already great, the Treo 650 is only better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Nguyen
    Wow with the half assed T5 released that brought on a wave of complaints, PalmOne surely did good with the Treo 650 and so far it's been 90% positive Can't wait to get mine... my Treo 600's already great, the Treo 650 is only better.

Yeah, sure....
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast