Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I am very pleased with my 650 so far. Despite BS to the contrary, setting it up with OS X was a breeze. I got Bluetooth sync up and running without a manual in sight. Drag and drop installation of pretty much any kind of file from the Mac to Treo is a breeze, just dump it on the BT Utility icon and the next thing you know it's on your Treo - no hot sync required.

The screen is gorgeous. Keyboard has run my typing up to nearly 100% accuracy and at least 30% faster. The way they rearranged the buttons and added new ones make a lot of sense from a usability standpoint. You can tell this baby is faster, and the web browsing is nice and speedy. Having Versamail installed from the start is a nice surprised, and I like it better than the Snappermail I paid for.

So much more to share, just my quick first impressions. Sweet!
    I'm also happy with mine. VERY happy. I will agree for the sake of agreeing that the memory situation could be better, but it is a small matter that I can easily deal with, no problem.

After playing around with it for a while, I'm satisifed that the 650 does everything I want of it and more. I've loaded the beta version of the new AvantGo on it, put my apps on, marvelled at the nice screen and the responsiveness, and have not crashed yet.

Most importantly, the 650 passed the most important test I have of any phone: that it works well as a phone. See, this is where every past PDA/phone combo I've tried has failed me. The Kyocera 6035 was too bulky, the Treo 300 had pitiful battery life and was too awkward for my taste (and I just KNEW that flip was gonna crack from the moment I opened it up... I returned that baby within the trial period and, sure enough, months later people are complaining about broken flips).

The 600 was close... but the deal breaker, aside from poor screen res and no bluetooth, was that the sound quality was poor. I sounded muffled to other people, and the earpiece made them sound too tinny.

But, after making a few calls with the Treo 650, I am happy. Sound quality is EXCELLENT, both using the phone itself and through the BT headset. In fact, this is the first time in a long time that people truly have been unable to tell that I'm on a cell phone. The last time I could truly say that was in 1998, just before I gave up on my old Qualcomm 2700 phone.

Since the demise of Qualcomm's handset business to Kyocera, Sanyo phones have been the benchmark of the "best" phone you can get on Sprint in terms of sound quality. Now, I think the Treo has surpassed Sanyo.
    Quote Originally Posted by anastrophe
    i'm very, very happy with my treo 650. the memory problem? solved by tossing the two dozen half-assed apps i'd installed simply because i could, but that offered no real value or functionality. not to minimize the problem for those with huge contact db's etc - it's an issue for them. not for me however. yes, it would be nice to have more. who knows, maybe some smart fellow will figure out a way to break the nvfs mirroring, to double the available ram. who knows?

in the meantime, i'm happy as a clam.
    Me too I think you have hit on a major issue. I have both a Pocket PC and the 650. When I did a check recently on my iPaq 4700, I discovered that of the 70 apps I have installed, I only started about 10 of them in the last month. About half were only used once. I think app install bloat is a problem for a lot of power users. While the memory complaints are legitimate, I also only have small databases (less than 100 contacts, a dozen notes and a datebook of maybe a couple of 100k), so I can live with the situation. And most of the apps I truly need run from memory cards just fine.

I also find it funny about all the whining about how come the 650's aren't shipping, where's theirs, they ordered 15 of them all from different places to make sure they get one this instant, all that crap. Now that some of these same people have the 650's in their hands, they are still unhappy. It seems that these unhappy people are determined to make sure everyone else is as unhappy as they are.
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleReeck
    It seems that these unhappy people are determined to make sure everyone else is as unhappy as they are.
    i'm not willing to go quite that far. for those souls who have massive contact lists, the memory issue is a legitimate deal-breaker. the problem is the 'chunk size' the new filesystem uses, which bloats tiny contact records to a significantly larger size. multiply that by hundreds and hundreds of contacts (in some cases thousands of contacts) and you do indeed have a disaster. i have to admit i've made light to some extent the complaints about the memory - but i'm *not* a power user who requires thousands of contacts, so it's unfair to minimize the significance of this issue for them.

not being an expert in PalmOS filesystem design (doh!), i can only hope that palm can figure out a way to revamp the filesystem to use a smaller chunksize, and find some way to distribute a flash upgrade that won't kill the device in the process. could be tough.
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    <a href=http://www.anastrophe.com>www.anastrophe.com</a>
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    Overall I think the phone is great, the software seem a little buggy or a lease I hope its the software and not a hardware issue.
    No doubt about it--this phone is F***ING AWESOME! As a converter from a PPC to a Treo I can honestly say this thing is unbeatable. I will NEVER switch to another phone EVER again!

unless something better comes along...=)

which i really doubt! =)
    Quote Originally Posted by donnyb
    Overall I think the phone is great, the software seem a little buggy or a lease I hope its the software and not a hardware issue.
    Just curious: Buggy how? I haven't noticed any real bugs, so it'd be nice to know what you're seeing so I can see and nitpick, too.
    Wow, we do have some happy Treo 650 customers after all
    Not really buggy, but curious design choices. For instance, space bar for speakerphone activation no longer seems to work according to some and I don't see a way to connect a serial device over bluetooth (a GPS for instance). Just headset and Hotsync. But I haven't really looked into it too much yet.
    I had a 600 and loved it. Just got the 650 and really love it. It is better in lot of little ways as opposed to having one big improvement. Mind you depending on what is important to you (like bluetooth) you could argue that it does have the "big" improvement you need.

excellent device, happy to keep recommending it to folks.
    Love mine.

Agree that not increasing memory was a stupid call by PalmOne. They should apologize & offer a free upgrade program or provide some rationale for this blunder.

But I love my Treo 650. Beautiful screen and keyboard...much to love. This is just going to make us take a step back into the years of penny-pinching for memory. That sucks. But I'd much rather whine about memory with my Treo 650 than have a Treo 600. Just my 2 cents.
    Quote Originally Posted by scaredpoet
    Just curious: Buggy how? I haven't noticed any real bugs, so it'd be nice to know what you're seeing so I can see and nitpick, too.
    I haven't seen many bugs...but I haven't loaded many 3rd party apps yet. I did get a soft reset when loading a large web page, but otherwise my Treo 650 has been rock solid.
    too bad you can't buy one anywhere (except from Sprint, which is all backordered now).

When will F1 learn....they could sell 10,000 in the first week and make all sorts of headlines if they had it in stores.

oh well, the lucky ones who have one sound happy.

the rest of us need to wait months.

geez, didn't F1 the Treo learn with the 600? guess not.
    While I was impressed with the screen the second I turned it on I was BLOWN away when I opened Word To Go, HOLY ^)*_* how on earth is the font that small and its clearly visible. I wish I had another 650 to take a picture of it (DAMN!)

Speaking of camera, I dont know what all the camera *****ing is all about what do people want a 3.2 mega for a camera. The quality (in light) is fantastic, only possible complaint would be lack of a flash.
    The Treo 650 is awesome!!!!

When I hit that power button and saw the quality of the screen, I was totally amazed. I can deal with the memory, this phone for me is a big upgrade compared to the Treo 600.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    too bad you can't buy one anywhere (except from Sprint, which is all backordered now).

When will F1 learn....they could sell 10,000 in the first week and make all sorts of headlines if they had it in stores.

oh well, the lucky ones who have one sound happy.

the rest of us need to wait months.

geez, didn't F1 the Treo learn with the 600? guess not.
    Is Sprint really backordered now? I just ordered a 650 from the Sprint accessories line this morning around 10:00 EST and was told it will ship out Monday.
    Jes7, when Sprint has an item in backorder it just means they dont have any in the warehouse to immediately ship out, each day when they get more ready to roll they fill backorders and whatever is left is available for anyone to order.
    So now that there are a lot of people that have received their new treos, does anyone regret upgrading? Has it been worth it? What are everyone's biggest complaints? What do people like the most?
    I got my 650, no regrets considering it was free. I've only had 2 problems so far and it's not the fault of the phone. 1. Jabra BT250 didn't work, as soon as you got more than a foot away it started to break up. 2. Yahoo messenger for palm os didn't work. The phone crashed several times while trying to use it. Overall I am very impressed with it. The screen resolution is fantastic. All the upgrades they did make it a very nice phone/pda.
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    I must say if you love your treo 600 you will love your treo 650 even more. Now I dont like the fact that none of the accessories work like car charger, cradle etc. Also to me the hotsyc cable and charger seem flimsy. Im sure you have read threads of the dreaded memory issues etc. Overall I like the T650 cus of its awesome screen and lovely camera. This by far compensates in away the negative aspects.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast