Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Anyone else using a Bluetooth Headset with their Treo 650 yet?

I'm finding it to be quirky at best. It seems that even though I have them paired, calls are not routed to the headset as the manual claims should occur. It appears I must answer the call using the phone, THEN tap the "phone" button on the headset to link up -- this appears to take a few seconds.

When I first turn the headset on, the bluetooth icon (the "B" at the tom) goes inverse -- but only for a moment. The headset makes a "pop" (providing some power to the speaker) but then the whole thing cuts out and the "B" goes back to blue.

Should the "B" stay inversed? Am I doing something wrong? I've tried both "normal" and "enhanced mode" when pairing.

As the title infers, this is using a Jabra Freespeak 250 with my Treo 650.

-jd
    That's actually a shortcoming of the BT250, I think. To have a call directly ring on your headset, it needs to support the "handsfree profile", which the BT250 does not. See this page on PalmOne's support site.

I emailed Jabra today with a question if their upcoming BT500 will support the handsfree profile. Will post here if I get a reply.
    goddamit... that's gonna **** me off
    Quote Originally Posted by awesterink
    That's actually a shortcoming of the BT250, I think. To have a call directly ring on your headset, it needs to support the "handsfree profile", which the BT250 does not. See this page on PalmOne's support site.

I emailed Jabra today with a question if their upcoming BT500 will support the handsfree profile. Will post here if I get a reply.

not sure why P1 list it as such, but the BT250 does support both profiles, just look at the Jabra user guide that came with the headset, it has a slightly diffrent pairing instruction for the handsfree profile.
    Last edited by shanta; 11/19/2004 at 10:48 PM.
    now if only they used 1.2,this would not be an issue.
    To answer the call on the BT250, you have to wait until it starts ringing (about 3-4 seconds after the phone starts ringing).
    Quote Originally Posted by marcus
    To answer the call on the BT250, you have to wait until it starts ringing (about 3-4 seconds after the phone starts ringing).
    It's quirkier than that - I've been able to get it to answer before the BT250 starts ringing. It seems like after the first time (when I have to press the button a few times), it will answer quickly, and before the BT250 rings.

I did the alternate pairing for Handsfree.

Still doesn't route the call directly to the BT250 when I call out, though...
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    now if only they used 1.2,this would not be an issue.
    Actually, it has to be the Jabra headset, and not an issue of the Treo or the Bluetooth version.

I'm using a Motorola HS810 headset, and it is working just fine. Calls route every time to the headset when it's turned on, and the tal/end button on it works well. No quirkiness, and sound quality is also superb.

But hey, the Motorola HS810 costs $100, and the Jabra was free. You get what you pay for.
    Sounds like its the same as the BT200 if so, it goes into standby and will not come out without pushing the button on top of it. Then it takes several seconds to connect to the phone. Its rediculous at best! There are other headsets out there that will wake up as needed and connect almost instantly!

For example the HS810
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by scaredpoet
    Actually, it has to be the Jabra headset, and not an issue of the Treo or the Bluetooth version.

I'm using a Motorola HS810 headset, and it is working just fine. Calls route every time to the headset when it's turned on, and the tal/end button on it works well. No quirkiness, and sound quality is also superb.

But hey, the Motorola HS810 costs $100, and the Jabra was free. You get what you pay for.
    I paid $99.99 at Best Buy for my BT250. I wish it was free.

I looked at the Motorola, but it didn't "feel" secure on my ear. Do you feel otherwise?

Also, I get a lot of static on the Jabra--unless it's 1 foot away and has perfect line of sight. I was eating lunch at an airport restuarant, the phone was 3 feet away on the tables with line of sight, and I still had an annoying static burst.

Can someone else comment on whether this headset sucks, or if it's the Treo 650? I'll buy another headset tonight if someone can comment on superior performance from another product.

Thanks.

-jd

-jd
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    kinda off topic but i'm trying to use this 'technoblue' bt headest and the only way i've seemed to get it to work is to hit answer on the headset, dunno how to route outgoing calls to it tho :-/
    Quote Originally Posted by doogles
    I looked at the Motorola, but it didn't "feel" secure on my ear. Do you feel otherwise?
    That's exactly how it felt to me. I have slightly "prominent" ears, and to me it felt like the HS810 was loosely dangling off my ear. I was very irritating, I constantly felt like having to re-seat it. And because it is on the ear instead of behind it like the BT250, it makes it look even more like a robotic contraption from some scifi movie. Too bad, because I really do like the design of the HS810.

I took the little "ring cushin" off of the 810 and it fit 100% better.
    Have you guys paired the 350 with the handsfree or just headset? I have done handsfree, I doesnt work that well in my opinion.

To enable handsfree, hold the volume up and the phone button on the bt250 for 8 seconds. Heres the link below for that profile.

http://www.jabra.com/fscs/FreeSpeak_...dFeatures.html
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    oh ****z ..i just ordered 1 jabra bt headset from buy.com as soon as i ordered the treo 650 from sprint...argg!!!
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by scaredpoet

I've now purchased a Motorola HS820, and while I've only had it for 20 minutes or so, it appears to be doing what I want.

When a call comes in, does the headset "ring"? The Jabra didn't do this, and I consider that to be a PITA. I plan to keep the phone in my backpack or whatnot most of the time, and can't always hear it ring. This [hopefully] won't be as big of an issue in my car (2004 BMW 330Ci with Bluetooth Retrofit kit from BMW) but when working at customer sites/whatnot this will be mandatory.

-jd
  17.    #17  
    I've now purchased a Motorola HS820, and while I've only had it for 20 minutes or so, it appears to be doing what I want.

When a call comes in, does the headset "ring"? The Jabra didn't do this, and I consider that to be a PITA. I plan to keep the phone in my backpack or whatnot most of the time, and can't always hear it ring. This [hopefully] won't be as big of an issue in my car (2004 BMW 330Ci with Bluetooth Retrofit kit from BMW) but when working at customer sites/whatnot this will be mandatory.

-jd
    Followup:

The Motorola certainly behaves better. When I answer an incoming call, it cuts through to the headset. When I make an outgoing call, it cuts through to the headset. This requires no interaction from me.

However:

This is not enough. I do not want to be tethered to the phone. Therefore, I want:
    * Some indication on the headset that the phone is ringing.
    * The ability to answer the phone from the headset, without interacting with the phone.
    * The ability to use the Treo-bundled voice dialing software with the headset.

As I have had no exposure to other platform's Bluetooth implementations (Treo 650 is my first) I'm unsure if my desires are unreasonable, if Bluetooth 1.1 simply doesn't support what I want, or if it's just the Treo 650 implementation of Bluetooth 1.1 that is lacking.

If anyone has some real insight, please do share.

-jd
    jabra is comming out with the bt800 that will vibrate and display caller id. Its gorgeous, but I don't know if those functions require BT1.2 or not
    what would be the purpose of a bt headset with caller id... it would be up on my ear when the call came in, would it not?

curious?
    Not if the phone is in your backpack or purse. Or you are in the store and the phone is in the car.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast