Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by wahili
    i have not been able to answer a call on my Jabra at all. anyone having any luck with this non functioning chrysalis or what?
    I have gotten the Jabra 250 working, but it is quirky at best, and the quality was horrible. Unfortunately, I'm having different (but still annoying) troubles with my new HS820.

Can anyone confirm if they have the HS820 RINGING when there is an incoming call? I SWEAR i had it working for a sec then all of a sudden it stopped doing it.

Bluetooth was the #2 reason I purchased the treo (#1 = the better display). This not working is REALLY frustrating.

Thanks guys!

Chavous
    BOFH/Chavous Camp

Don't know what BOFH stands for? See here.
    The Jabra headset is the recommended headset by PalmOne for the 650.
    The only thing you have to worry about is that the Jabra you buy on palmone is a different headset than the BT250. It's basically the same thing, but palmone has specifically configured the Jabra on their site to work with the 650. I've heard that the BT250 doesn't work that great with the 650, but that the Jabra on the palmone site works great. If you go to their site you will notice you can't find the model number of the jabra headset they are selling, but that it looks exactly the same as the Bt250. Also, don't get the Bluetrek headsets for the Treo. They are terrible.
    Quote Originally Posted by peteypablo
    It's basically the same thing, but palmone has specifically configured the Jabra on their site to work with the 650. I've heard that the BT250 doesn't work that great with the 650, but that the Jabra on the palmone site works great.
    That's funny, 'cause I have the BT250 from P1, and it still sucks.
    BOFH/Chavous Camp

I must admit that my headset(Jabra BT250 from P1) has improved to the point of usability.

True, I'm already on my second T650 -- and while the second one had a little less static/popping than my first unit, the headset was still going to be worthless in my early judgement. But a few things kept me going(not least of which is the $600 price tag) and I know it seems strange and highly unlikely, but this pairing has indeed improved over time. The static/popping noise has been reduced to the point of 'rare' when I'm within 1.5 ft of the phone. For those laughing, that distance has been sufficient for me to use the unit in/at my car/desks/beds/kitchen and talk for hours. Sound quality at both ends has been 'good'.

I can't even imagine a valid technical reason that might explain any "training" btw these paired devices -- though I assure you it's not just me getting used to the static. I'll chalk it up to unexplainable weirdness.

If it helps anybody else, as I said earlier, it seems to help if I initiate the connection within a foot(and in a direct, unobstructed line), then place the phone down. Though I don't need to do this anymore in my car or if the phone is on my bedside table(and I'm in the bed).
    --
    jt
    Ok then,

I just called PalmOne and Jabra (not at the same time), because the handsfree profile with the Jabra from P1 does NOT work. Redial is initiated from the headset, but you must manually touch the 650 Cancel Ldspkr to route the audio to the headset.

This is NOT as advertised on P1's site. Nor do the call waiting or call hold features work. So P1 tells me to call Jabra....must be their problem...ok says I, and off I went to Jabra.

Me: Hi, P1 told me to call you cuz the enhanced handsfree profile doesn't work on my 650.
    Jabra: Oh, well you don't have a Nokia and the Freespeak doesn't have enhanced handsfree protocol for the Treo 650.

Me: Holy @#!#@%$, false advertising dude! Must call P1 back. Nah, forget it!

Good luck out there. I quit! I'll just accept that I can hit the talk when I get a call and call it a day! Forget enhanced handsfree protocol
    Not sure about you but my P1 Headset works just as advertise.
    And I have gotten my redial to work.
    When the dark clouds gather on the horizon, when thunder and lightning fills the sky, When fate is but a glint in the eye of a fallen Rattler, And hopes are lost friends, When the sinew of the chest grows weary from those hard-charging linebackers, And the muscles in the legs grow tired from those hard-charging running backs ... You must remember that the Rattlers will... Strike, Strike, and Strike again.
    Everywhere I've read people have been back and forth on the quality of the Jabra headset. What headset should I get for the 650? Is there any headset people would recommend?
    I'm serious when I say that this wreaks of a class action lawsuit waiting to happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by sleight42
    I'm serious when I say that this wreaks of a class action lawsuit waiting to happen.
    At the risk of sounding like a troll -

Isn't that what folks said about the T600 when it came out? Network Search, Microphone problems, etc?

Lawsuits over the T600? Zero (that we know of)
    BOFH/Chavous Camp

I can confirm some things

1.) The Palm Jabra 250 and the Jabra "Jabra 250" are indeed different, at least in terms of working with the Treo 650. I had a Jabra 250 from Jabra which I used with my Olympia cordless phone. While it will pair with the Treo 650, it does not give the extra features available with the Palm One Jabra 250 specific headset (which I purchased to have the enhanced features....sigh). So Palm and/or Jabra must have definitely done some "tweaking" to the Palm One version. It would really be nice if someone from Palm/Jabra could comment on the differences.

2.) Both headsets have very poor quality (static) and/or range when paired with the Treo 650, as opposed to when paired with my Olympia phone. This is extremely annoying. I am very much inclined to believe it is due to the power of the Bluetooth RF transmitter in the Treo 650. I also have a BT200 from Jabra (for NON-bluetooth phones) which I used with my previous Samsung SPH-I300. There was never ANY static with this set up, and the only difference is that my BT200 has its own external Bluetooth transceiver which connects to the headset jack on my SPH-I300. I am SEVERELY HOPING that Palm will address these issues with an update. I am more than willing to sacrifice battery life on the Treo 650 for more Bluetooth transceiver power. With my Olympia I can walk 30ft from the base before I get the kind of "static/popping" I get at 2ft with the Treo 650. This is really, really, really bad, and PALM needs to fix.

3.) I too have the problem with "last number redial", where the Treo 650 dials the number, but doesn't route the audio to the headset.

4.) I feel like I'm beta testing a product, but I guess such is the life of an early adopter.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Add my name to the list of people who are underwhelmed and disappointed with the P1/Jabra BT250 on the Treo650. Way too much static with the phone in my pocket, i.e. 3 feet away!

ERic
    Quote Originally Posted by doogles
    I've now purchased a Motorola HS820, and while I've only had it for 20 minutes or so, it appears to be doing what I want.

When a call comes in, does the headset "ring"? The Jabra didn't do this, and I consider that to be a PITA. I plan to keep the phone in my backpack or whatnot most of the time, and can't always hear it ring. This [hopefully] won't be as big of an issue in my car (2004 BMW 330Ci with Bluetooth Retrofit kit from BMW) but when working at customer sites/whatnot this will be mandatory.

-jd
    To get the headset to ring, and to be able to pick up calls from the TREO using the Jabra headset, you have to change the preferences on the TREO for the HANDSFREE. Make it transfer to headset immediately. Don't worry, that will not make the call go immediately to the headset, but it will begin ringing on the headset and you can then pick up the call using the phone button. Works great for me.
  13.    #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by bdocili
    To get the headset to ring, and to be able to pick up calls from the TREO using the Jabra headset, you have to change the preferences on the TREO for the HANDSFREE. Make it transfer to headset immediately. Don't worry, that will not make the call go immediately to the headset, but it will begin ringing on the headset and you can then pick up the call using the phone button. Works great for me.
    Interesting, that is not how I understood that feature to work.

I will try this out in a bit. Thanks.

-jd
    Quote Originally Posted by skydivewags
    You can voice dial using a Bluetooth headset? I have not heard of anyone getting this to work. Several threads have said they have had no luck. What software are you using? How did you set it up???? We need to know!!!
    Skydivewags,

I believe that bmustaf was referring to voice-dialing on the Audio SMT5600 phone and BT headset, not using the Treo650 phone.

Yea, it's really too bad that voice-dialing cannot be initiated on BT headset yet.
    - Greg

My Palm Pre Evo Tree
    Pilot 5000 -> 1MB Upg -> Zire -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> 4-yr abstinance -> Palm Pre!
    I have the free Jabra BT250 from PalmOne, and seems to work inconsistently but marginally acceptable.

For incoming calls, I have to set Prefs|Handsfree|AutoAnswer to Immediately in order to have calls rerouted to my BT250. Somehow the phone will still ring twice before the headset picks up. This gives me enough time to find/retrieve the headset from my pocket. However, with this setup, I do have to remember to turn off the headset when I'm not around to pick up calls. Otherwise, it'll will be impossible for someone to leave a message if the phone keeps auto-answering.

On outgoing calls, it will automatically route to the BT250. Works 95% of the time. Otherwise, I'll just manually transfer the call by clicking on the headset.

Redialing (holding down the "phone" button on the headset until you hear a second beep): Now this is the most problematic for me. It seemed that I was able to get it working at one point. Eversince I had to re-pair the two, I can only initiate the redial but cannot hear anything except a few clicks and crackle pops on the headset. I'd have to cancel the headset on the Treo, then activate it again on the headset.

I've tried the regular pairing method as well as the Enhanced Pairing for handsfree profile method. Neither could get redialing to work 100%. Wondering if anyone else is getting the same problem.

BTW, for redialing to work, you have to "Allow wakeup". This is in Prefs|Bluetooth|(hard) Menu Key|Options|Allow wakeup.

Sound Quality: The noise/static problem is still there but I've actually gotten used to it. Just have to remember to put the phone close to the headset if I want clarity. Brings me back to the old Analog days.

VoiceDialing: Not working at this time. My only hope is to wait for VoiceDial (or someone else) to implement it in Palm.

Finally, as someone has put it, I do feel like I'm beta testing this thing. Other than these annoyances (among others), the Treo650 is still the best phone in the world.
    - Greg

My Palm Pre Evo Tree
    Pilot 5000 -> 1MB Upg -> Zire -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> 4-yr abstinance -> Palm Pre!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123