Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Has anyone had a worthwhile contact with Cingular regarding the 650? Seen any news of pre-ordering, etc??
    Mark Bergman
    Cingular is ATT is Cingular.
    Quote Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor
    Cingular is ATT is Cingular.
    Yep. Currently, it is not possible to buy ATT branded equipment except for prepaid service. There will NOT be an ATT branded treo.

Sorry for the semi-hijack.
    Quote Originally Posted by zcasavant
    Yep. Currently, it is not possible to buy ATT branded equipment except for prepaid service. There will NOT be an ATT branded treo.

Sorry for the semi-hijack.
    I thought there was a link to the ATTWS website, in an ealier thread to a signup to be notified when the 650 is available at ATTWS. I have not seen anything like that on the cingular website, then again I have not gotten any infromation from ATTWS either.
    Quote Originally Posted by cheezpuff
    Until the FCC approved the acquisition, AWS and Cingular were forced to run their businesses as competitors; that includes acquiring the latest equipment. Go and try to buy an att wireless phone right now. You'll get sent to the cingular site.
  7. BD1
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    From a very senior Cingular person a week ago: January. But who knows if the whole 650 schedule is slipping....
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zcasavant
    Until the FCC approved the acquisition, AWS and Cingular were forced to run their businesses as competitors; that includes acquiring the latest equipment. Go and try to buy an att wireless phone right now. You'll get sent to the cingular site.
    Anyone notice in the "Important Information" at the bottom of the page that the Treo 650 will apparently be locked to AT&T? I thought most Cingular quad-band phones were unlocked! Must be my error.
    Best,

Bill
    ><(((((`>
    Palm Treo Pro, iPhone 3G 16GB Refurb, Palm TX
    Waiting for Pre GSM!
    Quote Originally Posted by eugarps
    Anyone notice in the "Important Information" at the bottom of the page that the Treo 650 will apparently be locked to AT&T? I thought most Cingular quad-band phones were unlocked! Must be my error.
    Cingular does not lock phones, page was probably made before merger was complete. Don't but form ATT buy from P1.
    Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    I was told a week ago that the Treo 650 would be available shortly after the acquisition of AT&T which occurred today, November 15th (that's when they started migrating customers anyway).

I went into the Cingular (former AT&T) store to migrate my AT&T account over to Cingular--you just can't beat their MEdia Works package--and I asked about the 650 and was told that they should be seeing them in the next week or two.

Now, I've taken that with a HUGE rock of salt, but I wouldn't be surprised if Cingular had them before the end of the year through their business channels--they are, of course, the largest cellular network in North America.
    Huge Rock of salt: yes cuz I have a pretty good contact near the top and she gave me more info on Edge, but she had none about 650. I hope she's just not informed.
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    Cingular does not lock phones, page was probably made before merger was complete. Don't but form ATT buy from P1.
    I don't know if this is true, but over in the AT&T forums it says that Cingular is going to start locking their phones.

Merging the worst business practices of both companies?
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
    Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    I just purchased a new phone (Motorola V551) from the Cingular (former AT&T) store yesterday. The rep said the phone was locked, but when I got home and popped a T-Mobile SIM in it worked and registered on Tmo's network.

Just my .02
    Cingular is transitioning to locked phones across the line (per HoFo). You got lucky--hang onto it

Todd/Indy
  15.    #15  
    My Cingular phone arrived locked a year or so ago. I picked up a handly little utility that allowed me to unlock it. It's not magic. You can probably find the utility via Google or eBay. I don't have it on my office PC. The only issue is that in an analog area, I occasionally roam onto Verizon. This wont be an issue for an all digital phone.
    Mark Bergman
    My Cingular phone...I occasionally roam onto Verizon.
    Hmmm...
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    A singular phone indeed!
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor
    Hmmm...
    I'll interpret your post as skepticism, but my guess is the poster has either a TDMA/AMPS phone or one of the few GAIT phones that can roam between GSM/TDMA/AMPS.
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    I think that could possibly happen if he had a TDMA phone. Not sure though.
    My TDMA ancient Nokia (AT&T) roams all the time (blame AT&T's lousy coverage) - not once has it said on WHAT it is roaming. It is ancient, however (is a "digital" phone but I have no idea HOW it is digital)
    Last edited by SeldomVisitor; 11/16/2004 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Took off the "edge" to the post somewhat
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast