Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Cingular does have a Media Works plan for PalmOne Treo users that is $20 for unlimited data which does include GPRS/EDGE where available. Also, T-Mobile will have EDGE available in some cities in early 2005 and full deployment by the end of 2005. T-Mobile's Internet Plan with a Voice Plan is only $20 bucks for Real Unlimited Data unlike Sprint's 100mb cap for $ 15 dollars Limited/Unlimited Vision. Try going over 100 MB for 2 months straight on Vision and see the nice little love letter SprintPCS will send you.....
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NanoWiz
    Cingular does have a Media Works plan for PalmOne Treo users that is $20 for unlimited data which does include GPRS/EDGE where available. Also, T-Mobile will have EDGE available in some cities in early 2005 and full deployment by the end of 2005. T-Mobile's Internet Plan with a Voice Plan is only $20 bucks for Real Unlimited Data unlike Sprint's 100mb cap for $ 15 dollars Limited/Unlimited Vision. Try going over 100 MB for 2 months straight on Vision and see the nice little love letter SprintPCS will send you.....
    I have done that, I recieved no letter. Infact I have downloaded 100MB in a day with PDANet. I have never recieved a letter.
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    I push about 300mb a month through GPRS via T-Mobile... I was planning on porting to Cingular for the larger network with EDGE, but am definitely concerned about whether the Works package is tethering friendly. Currently, I'm tempted to pay the $80/mo rather than be surprised by a bill from misusing the Works package.

Anyone with useful info on this?
    So currently ATT has 3 different unlimited wireless plans for $25,$45 & $80/month, does anyone know what the differences are and who has the $25 plan and a Treo?
    Thanks
    Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Expat
    does anyone know what the differences are and who has the $25 plan and a Treo?
    Thanks
    As far as the Treo is concerned, there is no difference in regards to network access. The price tiers were explained to me this way: If, for some reason, AT&T believes you are abusing the data plan you're on (using too much data), they reserve the right to "bump" you up to the higher plan.

The plans mentioned above were intended for certain devices (i.e. regular cell phones, PDAs and data cards). Yes, they are all unmetered, but if AT&T suspects that your usage is abnormal for that device, they'll move you to a higher plan.

I was on the $25 plan, but have since move to Cingular. I am now on the $20 MEdia Works package.

FYI: I use the internet frequently and sometimes I tether my device (50-100MB per month). I didn't experienced any problems on AT&T's $25 plan and was on it for about three months.
    Last edited by spiVeyx; 11/18/2004 at 07:10 PM.
    FYI, ATTWS/Cingular stores recieved delivery of PDA phones today. None are being registered in there systems until Monday Nov. 22nd. Among these phones are the newer blackberry 7290 (quad band with bluetooth) and un-offically treo 600's. Now I find it hard to believe that they would be recieving newly shipped 600's so close to a GSM 650 release timeframe. I'd say next week will be very telling as to when ATTWS/CINGULAR will be carrying the T650.

I've now heard it rom two sources that ATTWS/CINGULAR should be carrying 650's by Thanksgiving. Although I am a bit dissapointed that there hasn't been any offical release statement about this phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert C. Lee
    I push about 300mb a month through GPRS via T-Mobile... I was planning on porting to Cingular for the larger network with EDGE, but am definitely concerned about whether the Works package is tethering friendly. Currently, I'm tempted to pay the $80/mo rather than be surprised by a bill from misusing the Works package.

I was in a Cingular store this past week, and posted somewhere on these boards about the experience. At any rate, I was told with PDAs and smartphones, Cingular charges $45 a month for truly unlimited data. The manager brought up a price screen on her computer and it showed escalating rates for MB per month. The $80 plan was for laptops, according to the manager in the store. She was cute, but a little dipsy. Take it for what it's worth.
    I'm still bummed about the GSM coming after Christmas
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MacUser
    Cingular charges $45 a month for truly unlimited data.
    Perfect... exactly what I needed to know. Does it have a particular plan name?
    Quote Originally Posted by schwasj
    FYI, ATTWS/Cingular stores recieved delivery of PDA phones today. None are being registered in there systems until Monday Nov. 22nd. Among these phones are the newer blackberry 7290 (quad band with bluetooth) and un-offically treo 600's. Now I find it hard to believe that they would be recieving newly shipped 600's so close to a GSM 650 release timeframe. I'd say next week will be very telling as to when ATTWS/CINGULAR will be carrying the T650.

I've now heard it rom two sources that ATTWS/CINGULAR should be carrying 650's by Thanksgiving. Although I am a bit dissapointed that there hasn't been any offical release statement about this phone.

For some reason - I find this hard to believe - but trust me I HOPE YOU ARE RIGHT!!!
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not" Thomas Jefferson
    I use Cingular MediaWorks package and PDANet all the time. I use approximately 700-1000 text messages, and exceed probably 1-2 gigs a month for the last 3 months or better, and have never been penalized.

I am a network engineer, so I use my Treo 600/PDANet to Google, SSH, upgrade firmware on routers, lots of Messaging (Alerts from monitoring software, and communication with peers.), and of course stream Music during the wee hours of the morning. I have been know to send pictures of damaged devices, and connectors via email (Until I found out sending SMS to an email address was a lot easier.).

So I definitely use the bandwidth the service provides. I could not live with out this phone. If Cingular starts charging for bandwidth, I will move to a provider that offers unlimitied. I look forward to the 650 and the upgraded EDGE network! I will be able to watch my satelite TV over the EDGE connection.
    (https://www.k-n-c.com/X10/JavaTV/)

Quote Originally Posted by Albert C. Lee

Quote Originally Posted by MacUser
    I was in a Cingular store this past week, and posted somewhere on these boards about the experience. At any rate, I was told with PDAs and smartphones, Cingular charges $45 a month for truly unlimited data. The manager brought up a price screen on her computer and it showed escalating rates for MB per month. The $80 plan was for laptops, according to the manager in the store. She was cute, but a little dipsy. Take it for what it's worth.
    I'm still bummed about the GSM coming after Christmas
    I pay 19.99 for Unlimited data, 1500 SMS, and 250 MMS. -- Cingular MediaWorks.
    Quote Originally Posted by spiVeyx
    I am currently using my SE EDGE enabled PC Card w/ Cingular's service on the $20 MEdia Works package.

I'm enjoying the 80-120Kbit/sec right now thankyouverymuch.
    Where do I get one of these cards, and where can I read more about it.
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ix0ye
    I use Cingular MediaWorks package and PDANet all the time. I use approximately 700-1000 text messages, and exceed probably 1-2 gigs a month for the last 3 months or better, and have never been penalized.
    Thanks for the info... that's good info to know. My use will probably go up with a faster network, but I will probably stay at around 500-700mb/mo. Appreciate the real world feedback.
    In the "here's another unsubstantiated, anecdotal report" category, at the DC roadshow yesterday one of the PalmOne guys said Cingular availability prior to year-end was possible but very doubtful. He thought January was likely.

Consistent with other semi-informed comments. Just FYI.
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    I emailed my Cingular business rep this week for an update. She's been telling me for over a month it would be mid-December. According to her, everything is still on schedule. It could be that the business channels will have them to sell before retail...

EDGE... I've called Cingular support twice about EDGE. Both times I was told that access to the EDGE network was $79.95/month. I have the $19.95 media works package, but I was told (both times) that it did not include EDGE (as recently as last month). Is anyone with the $19.95 MW package using an EDGE equipped phone?

Vince
    Quote Originally Posted by vinman
    I emailed my Cingular business rep this week for an update. She's been telling me for over a month it would be mid-December. According to her, everything is still on schedule. It could be that the business channels will have them to sell before retail...

EDGE... I've called Cingular support twice about EDGE. Both times I was told that access to the EDGE network was $79.95/month.
    Well, the only available EDGE device is a PCMCIA card. The implicit assumption is that one is a power user and that this is the primary connection to the Internet.

Quote Originally Posted by vinman
    I have the $19.95 media works package, but I was told (both times) that it did not include EDGE (as recently as last month). Is anyone with the $19.95 MW package using an EDGE equipped phone?

Vince
    On the other hand, it seems unlikely that they can hold the $80 price line for a smartphone user.

I have the $19.95 unlimited data plan from T-Mo. I have a PCMCIA card and I used to put my SIM in it and use it to connect my PC (Always found the software flaky and unreliable but may download a current version). Currently, I use my 600 w/ PDANet. I doubt that T-Mo can see the difference.

Clearly, T-Mo cannot charge $80 a month to all 650 users. Even if they throttle the connection for 650 users who only pay $20, we would still see some improved performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by scouter075
    For what it's worth, a Cingular CS rep quoted me prices for the GSM T650:

$449 for 2 year contract
    $499 for 1 year contract
    $599 for no contract.

She transfered me to the Sales Department to place an order but they would not take accept the order or quote prices.

Looks like CS got some advance notice????
    hopefully the attws and the cingular ones come out at the same time
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    Well after hunting and hunting this is what I know. Cingular is sending out Cingular Branded Treo600s to all the ATTWS stores. They are also sending out the rebranded RIM 7290s as well.

While they do expect to carry both the 600 and 650 models, they don't expect T650s in the near future, sounding like maybe just before Chirstmas at the earliest.

I am now back to using my blackberry, oh well.
    @WHMURRAY: The Nokia 6620 Smartphone is an EDGE handset. Both AT&T and Cinglular both sell/sold it.

If your phone is "edge compatible" you will use EDGE no matter what data plan you have (at least that is the case on my Nokia 6620 with AT&T). I had started out with the lowest mMode data package on my 6620 and was getting EDGE speed transfers. You don't pay EXTRA for EDGE, EDGE is strictly phone dependent as long as you are in an EDGE area (which for AT&T, from what I was told is/was like 98% of their network). I would assume that would apply to Cingular now as well. I don't think they can provision or unprovision EDGE an a per account basis and it's definately NOT turned on or off based on your data plan. If you have an EDGE capable phone you have EDGE data (as long as you have any data plan). Once again, I am on AT&T but I believe Cingular is the same.
  20.    #60  
    I do indeed use a GAIT phone. It's a very versatile phone...especially for those of us who live in remote rural areas. I'm sure that I will miss the AMPS capability (for a while) when I switch out to the 650.
    Mark Bergman
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast