1.    #1  
    Ok, I think I probably contributed as much to the "memory issue" fire as anyone else. But let's look at the facts.

The poll among new 650 owners shows an overwhelmingly positive response to the device.

We haven't seen the vast majority of the 650 owners on this board (power users) up in arms about the memory issue. Not to say it won't happen, but let it happen and then react.

I think we will have to wait until Tuesday / Wednesday when TC members start receiving this device en masse from P1 and post their experiences with porting the 600's data over. Let's at least wait until we get some more data points before we burry P1.

For example, I use 15 MB and have a contact database of over 2000 contacts. If this same amount of data can fit into, say, 18-19 of the 23 MB available on the 650, I won't complain. If the contact database takes 10 MB by itself, I'll have a problem.

Until then, I'll take a long look at MSMount and consider moving more apps to the SD card via PowerRun in the meantime (and put a hold on buying 650 accessories for now, just in case).
    From the reports we HAVE had, your 2000+ contact database is going to cause you a big problem with the 659

BTW it better not take 23 meg on your 650! That wont cut it! And depending on your apps, you often need to have a couple meg free to run them. Plus you need some room to bring things in from an SD card, to use the catche on the browser, take a photo if no SD card....
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan
    From the reports we HAVE had, your 2000+ contact database is going to cause you a big problem with the 659

BTW it better not take 23 meg on your 650! That wont cut it! And depending on your apps, you often need to have a couple meg free to run them. Plus you need some room to bring things in from an SD card, to use the catche on the browser, take a photo if no SD card....

I said that if it takes 18-19 MB OF the 23, that would be ok. You would still be able to do the things you discussed.
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny
    Ok, I think I probably contributed as much to the "memory issue" fire as anyone else. But let's look at the facts.

The poll among new 650 owners shows an overwhelmingly positive response to the device.

We haven't seen the vast majority of the 650 owners on this board (power users) up in arms about the memory issue. Not to say it won't happen, but let it happen and then react.

I think we will have to wait until Tuesday / Wednesday when TC members start receiving this device en masse from P1 and post their experiences with porting the 600's data over. Let's at least wait until we get some more data points before we burry P1.

For example, I use 15 MB and have a contact database of over 2000 contacts. If this same amount of data can fit into, say, 18-19 of the 23 MB available on the 650, I won't complain. If the contact database takes 10 MB by itself, I'll have a problem.

Until then, I'll take a long look at MSMount and consider moving more apps to the SD card via PowerRun in the meantime (and put a hold on buying 650 accessories for now, just in case).
    So far the general consensus seems to be that the same records on the Treo 600 will now require approximately 20-30% more space on the Treo 650 due to the way the NVFS on the 650 allocates data in 512 KB chunks. This means that the 23 MB of accessible "ram" on the Treo 650 actually is equivalent to something like 16 MB on the Treo 600!!

23 MB - (23*30%) = 16.1 MB

So basically, we should all really consider the Treo 650 to have 16 MB rather than 23 MB!!

If true, that I don't think this is way overblown at all...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I think gfunks math sounds fairly correct from the math that I've read. I have to agree that 16MB is far too small especially when a Java VM will probably take up 4MB of it.
  6.    #6  
    We'll know on Tuesday (P1 willing) what the exact numbers are. If, according to your factor, I will have 1 MB left, I might be a 600 user for some time to come.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    I have spent most of the day (besides the time waiting for reboots after unexplained crashes) trying to figure out how to consolidate my files. I feel like I am using my v500 again.
    Bluetooth and screen are as promised but if you can do without I would keep your 600 until something with more memory comes out
  8.    #8  
    70 pct of the responses on the 650 poll are positive. Are these people too busy playing with their 650 to realize the memory problem being discussed here? (Said only half-sarcastically).
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny
    70 pct of the responses on the 650 poll are positive. Are these people too busy playing with their 650 to realize the memory problem being discussed here? (Said only half-sarcastically).
    I think so. When the novelty wears off we probably will have a completely different, more negative answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by RWerksman
    I think so. When the novelty wears off we probably will have a completely different, more negative answer.
    The poll over time (as more respondants respond) has been "declining". That's unusual vis-a-vis the TREO 600, for example.
    I'm one of those 75% of VERY happy users and I can tell you that, yes, I am too busy playing with this amazing thing. It's not that I haven't noticed a memory shortage, but this issue is way overblown if you consider all the factors and not only focus on the negatives.
    Last edited by silverado; 11/20/2004 at 06:25 AM.
    some things r forgiveable....ie:crappy camera no voicedial....memory deficient is not... we must be realistic & practical... who wants a brand nnrw sports car with all the bells & whistles but only gets 1mpg & spends most of its life in the garage unusuable?
    p1 is slipping
  14.    #14  
    So the one 650 OWNER who replied to this thread says the issue IS overblown. It's a no-lose situation. Most of us hope to get a 650 on Tuesday. If I like it, great!! If not, it goes back at PalmOne's expense. Then I'll use the next best thing- which IMO is the 600, and curse P1 for ruining a great product.