1.    #1  
    I was recently out in the boonies for work and my Sprint Treo 600 (with the 1.20 software) started locking up in a low/intermitent signal area. I couldn't place calls, it'd lock up while searching for a signal. I'd have 1 bar of roaming, then no signal, then 1 bar of Sprint - it'd switch around like that nearly continuously. I never had to do a reset, just wait 30 seconds or so and it come back. Sometimes it'd soft reset itself.

Anyone ever experience this? I'll probably have to work at that same location a few times more, I'm thinking I may need get a replacement from Sprint. Thoughts?

Thanks!
    I saw this MANY times. For work, I sometimes have to travel to rural areas and when the 600 was on the line between weak sprint and roaming, going back and forth it would almost always lock up.

Also noticed this in the basement garage level of my apartment building.

I turned off digital roaming and will only enable it if I have to.
  3.    #3  
    Interesting. Thanks a lot for responding. I'm beginning to see orange spots in the middle of the screen too, so I'm going to try to return this 600 to Sprint. Out of curiosity, what hardware and software rev do you have (Menu-I from the phone screen)? I'm at:
    Software: Treo600-1.20-SPR
    Hardware: C

I wish I could turn off digital roam, but I'm on-call, so I really need to have the phone working - even if just marginally.

Thanks again for posting your experiences with this problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by pshifrin
    I saw this MANY times. For work, I sometimes have to travel to rural areas and when the 600 was on the line between weak sprint and roaming, going back and forth it would almost always lock up.
    Likewise...it's happened to me dozens of times where signal is marginal. It looks as though the RF software runs at such a high priority that keyboard events can't get through when it's busy losing and reestablishing signal.

There are other bugs as well...just last week I had a call come in with two bars of Sprint signal in a known marginal signal area; powering up the ringer and backlight appeared to harm reception enough that it locked up with the ringer in continuous loop and no response to any inputs. I hit the soft reset switch after about 3 minutes of incessant ringing. Duh.

BTW, I was disappointed to see that the 650 doesn't actually add two more buttons, but relocates the menu and home buttons to near the screen. Furthermore, at least one of my long-time user interface peeves is still there...when you have two active calls (via call-waiting), the center D-pad button still defaults to "hang up all" instead of "switch". Stupid, stupid, stupid.

On a brighter note, the SD card ejecter is much stiffer than on the 600, so even though the re-engineered case still exposes the card about the same amount (whyyyyyyy?) it's somewhat harder to accidentally eject. And the new display rocks, as does the revised keyboard lighting.

-dave
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    I've had same problems, more noticable when I go into subway/train tunnels. Also, shutting off the radio, either manually or via TreTools takes 1:30 or more, instead of immediate. Very annoying...hope the 650 handles this better....