Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I just beamed over a contact from T600 --> T650. I'm checking right now to see if data is being "written" into the new scheme.

Quote Originally Posted by Benjidoggie
    How about beaming the contacts over from your old palm to the 650. I assume then the 650 would write the data in the new format???
    I don't think it is the only hope of getting through...

Here is the latest I just Recieved from Palm 1 Dir of Dev. and I am impressed by this response...it was also CCd to several palm execs...I now believe they are seriously considering making this right...now lets give them a chance.

XXXX

I want you to know we are not ignoring this. Our team is looking into this and we need to make sure we have our facts straight as a team prior to making informal or formal responses that may confuse the issues. I have been in heavy email threads internally on this topic over the last 24 hrs and the community of users is indeed important.

Please give us the benefit of the doubt for several days while we evaluate the situation. We do care and I hope our engagement in a dialogue with you is a sign of our commitment to overall product quality.

Cheers,

Peter

?
    Sent: Sat 11/20/2004 8:42 AM
    To: Peter xxx
    Subject: Re: Some people-based gentle suggestions on dealing with memory problem on Treo 650

>
    > Peter, while I appreciate the reply, it is the stock political answer...no
    > commitment.
    >
    >
    > While your loyal customers will give Palm the mature professional time to fix
    > this...I don't think it matters who is right on a technical basis. The
    > perceived value of the customer is what matters. A good or bad buzz can make
    > or break a product, especially when some high visibility reviewers get a hold
    > of it a put on their spin. If palm is not pre-emptive in fixing this, and the
    > customers feel listened to, then others will hold off, think twice, delay,
    > feel vaguely unsafe, and change their mind about purchase they were about to
    > make with gusto. Many will look elsewhere.(Treo/PDA2K) this is an emotional
    > sale. Palm is not selling a phone. They are selling little kid gadget
    > excitement with a business excuse- and a dash of safety and trust. And when
    > that is damaged. People may not remember it, but they will always feel it.
    >
    > Just look at these threads...its not about the facts, its about the feelings
    > behind the facts - personal interpretation of perceived value.
    >
    > The marketing people can point to their sweet spot, and the tech people can
    > point to
    > their nonvolatile flash memory - and they will get to be right...but unless
    > they do the right thing and quickly
    > ...the people wont care.
    >
    > The perceived value of the customer is the bottom line.
    >
    > Respectfully,
    >
    > iZ
    thanks for posting that

makes me feel better about this whole situation
    If I can't stuff it full of all my apps, why not get a Blackberry? I already have to delete stuff off of my 600 all the time to keep room for Mapopolis and such.

I had it pre-ordered and cancelled it before they could ship. I fear this may be the straw the break the camels back.

Perhaps if P1 gets it together quickly, maybe I will reconsider. But there is NO WAY IN HE!! I'm paying $600 for a phone that I have to be "Contact quantity" conscious all the time.

My 2 cents and please don't turn this into a "Why the Blackberry's suck" thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by gerryoil
    If I can't stuff it full of all my apps, why not get a Blackberry? I already have to delete stuff off of my 600 all the time to keep room for Mapopolis and such.

I had it pre-ordered and cancelled it before they could ship. I fear this may be the straw the break the camels back.

Perhaps if P1 gets it together quickly, maybe I will reconsider. But there is NO WAY IN HE!! I'm paying $600 for a phone that I have to be "Contact quantity" conscious all the time.

My 2 cents and please don't turn this into a "Why the Blackberry's suck" thread.

did you read the experiments i did? There really isnt a need to be contact conscious with it unless you have like 10,000+ contacts(all fields filled). But i agree, i def wouldnt pay 600 bux for it ;D.

on another note, what if 11.7mb is the total amount kind of "reserved" for contacts? Like a safety precaution? that number came up both times, with different numbers......
    Shazsta-

I've read of the fixes but you definately give something up running apps from the SD card (slower). I don't run any apps from the SD that I use on a regular basis. As we all have experienced, when your showing someone your new $600 phone there's nothing like it taking forever to load your app. To be honest I was sort of on the fence on upgrading and with this memory "issue" it pretty much made up my mind...

As far as having patience while they fix this issue, you have to be kidding. They aren't too patient in having me pay for the phone. Maybe if I could use the phone without them charging my credit card until it is fixed I would reconsider

Oh well, I guess it won't be too bad playing with something different.

GM
    Snowracer, Where did you order your bluespoon digital from and what did it cost???
    I looked around and didn't seem to find a reliable source for it.
    Also did you look at the new analog bluespoon??? what did you think???

If any of the rest of you haven't read the red mercury article, do so its very informative.
    The Plantronics M3500 is just as good as the Bluespoon Digital. It has the same digital audio dsp and noise cancelling technology. It costs a whole lot less too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cluemeister
    In round one, 22,000 contacts took up 11 megs of memory. In round two, 11,000 fully loaded contacts took up 11 megs of memory. So we're looking at between 500bytes to 1K per contact.

Excellent research, Shazsta.

So it stands to reason that others with 3-4000 contacts should be filling up 3-4 megs of space. Has anyone else who tried to transfer their real contacts come to this conclusion as well? And how much space did these take up on the 600?

Clue
    All the records are full but are they all the same? As long as the contacts are the same you will see benefits of data normalization. If you have 20,000 90210 zip codes only 1 record is created for the zip code. If you have 50 different zip codes you will have 50 individual records created (512b * 50). Thats why I believe a more random sample of contacts will demonstrate higher memory use.

Looks like this thread just made Slashdot

http://slashdot.org/articles/04/11/2...?tid=100&tid=1
    Last edited by carter437; 11/21/2004 at 05:16 PM.
    guys!!! one thing you forgot about your open big mouth!! any product that is a successor from a previous one always has the upgrade and/or better functionalities!!!
    see it for yourself dont cancel orders!!! to see is to believe!!!
    --------scubag! PalmMaster!-----------
    Quote Originally Posted by carter437
    Looks like this thread just made Slashdot
    Or not...

404 File Not Found
    The requested URL (articles/04/11/...l?tid=100&tid=1) was not found.

If you feel like it, mail the url, and where ya came from to pater@slashdot.org.
    Gregg G. - New Orleans, LA
    Treo 700p on Sprint
    its there, that should get soem major attention on Monday
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Quote Originally Posted by scumbag
    guys!!! one thing you forgot about your open big mouth!! any product that is a successor from a previous one always has the upgrade and/or better functionalities!!!
    see it for yourself dont cancel orders!!! to see is to believe!!!
    --------scubag! PalmMaster!-----------

Hmmm... Let's see. Bluetooth, Hi-Res screen, OS version is newer, better keyboard?, 6MB more useable memory (16MB on the Treo 600 and 23 in the 650 right?)... What else has been upgraded?

Even with all those great new features, 23MB useable memory is just not enough. Storing apps. on an SD card is just not the same as having them in RAM either.
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi
    Hmmm... Let's see. Bluetooth, Hi-Res screen, OS version is newer, better keyboard?, 6MB more useable memory... What else has been upgraded?

After the Hi-res and the BT, I really dont need anything else, so I'm a happy boy (if and when it ever arrives anyway). Sure the memory thing is a bummer but it's far from a show stopper.
    Treo 700p on Sprint
    My 600 has 23 MB of useable memory

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

Quote Originally Posted by 100thMonkey
    My 600 has 23 MB of useable memory
    Ah. My mistake. I don't own any Treo yet and I thought the 600 only had 16MB. So then there hasn't been an upgrade in memory capacity yet.
    nah, in fact, everyone is whining because it is actually a downgrade because the file system actually gives LESS useable memory

Quote Originally Posted by GADzilla
    Or not...
    Fast, boy. It was there and it was pretty bad. Also a couple of threads about what P1 might do. P1 has real "pull."
    Last edited by whmurray; 11/21/2004 at 07:45 PM.
    Well they yanked it for some reason. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for a fix, but I just don't see this as the tragedy that it's being made out to be. Yea, it sucks, but it's not a dealbreaker, is it? I have yet to see a post explaining exactly how much less useable memory is there now. How dramatic is it?
    Treo 700p on Sprint
    I cancelled mine. It's the only way to send a signal to P1.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast