Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by drknucklehead
    It seems like most of the so called memory issues are caused by 3rd party Apps.
    BS! (I decline to explain; I think it is too obvious. One need only consider that I cannot port the image on my 600 to the 650.)_
    Quote Originally Posted by johnski1969
    well...sorry if my bad..but I think its kinda convienient that no review yet, demo unit or not... definately would have swayed ppls decision...(you had long access to it..we did not) I understand it would be a no win situation for TC because if you gave it rave reviews (good for sales) you would have been flamed with the memory issues.... & if you would have gave it a bad review.. it would have hurt sales & TC store.... so I guess keeping mum would be only option...then again...if you did (hypothetical) know of the now revealed memory issues...some could make a case for not being forthcoming with "issues"to help buyers make informed buying decision. like I said..hypothetically...no malaise intended. ppc6600 looking better.
    I think this is a cheap shot at TC. If you look at the P1 interview article, you'll see a direct mention of issues with apps with "multi-megabyte databases". This is directly talking about the memory issue. Little did anyone know (outside of P1 probably) that this would become such a huge issue with basic apps such as contact managers. Even all of the non-TC reviews (e.g., Mossberg) never gave the 650 a complete "thumbs down" because of the memory issue. TC is the best source for information on the Treo from users and staff. Get real and get off their backs on this one.
    I agree. If you expect to port your image from your 600 to your 650, then you should expect that you will run into 3rd party incompatability issues. The 600 was OS 5.2x while the 650 is 5.4x and some incompatability should be expected. As several folks have recommended, do a clean install then add your Apps one at a time. Or wait for other folks to provide sufficient feedback on 3rd party Apps. Don't say it's BS. We as a community need to inform users how best to move to the 650.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cluemeister
    When I ordered on viennachannels, it was clearly stated "No refunds".
    Vienna channels will let you have a unit for 30 days and then get a new one or just return the one you have, no charge. I don't know if this is new, but I took the 30 day demo first option.
    just glad I wasn't "that" early of an adopter. like I said ...was being hypothetical..just my 2 cents... but ya got to admit..it is a valid line of reasoning whether true or not.
    John
    Psychlogist/speech-language pathologist.... TREO 600 in hand
    ...Don't say it's BS.....We as a community need to inform users how best to move to the 650.
    I will say BS. After that, I will say, "Don't."
    I agree. If you expect to port your image from your 600 to your 650, then you should expect that you will run into 3rd party incompatability issues. The 600 was OS 5.2x while the 650 is 5.4x and some incompatability should be expected. As several folks have recommended, do a clean install then add your Apps one at a time. Or wait for other folks to provide sufficient feedback on 3rd party Apps. Don't say it's BS. We as a community need to inform users how best to move to the 650.

The point isnt app conflict. We all expected that and could live it to some degree. The point is that it wont even get to point of conflict. It simply doesn't have space for the data.
    well from experimenting with my 650 and 600, i found that i just cant use hotsync to transfer data from 600 to 650. so what i did was just hard reset the 650 and start everything from scratch. i've yet to put my contacts in. you have to do it like you are starting without having a treo period. for my contacts im going to try using outlook to sync, or just type them in manually im fairly certain that will work. when i transfered all my backup data from my 600 to 650 the first sync, i had 1.6 mb left on the 650. i did it 2 more times, then came to tc and read up on the file system. then i formated my 650, removed hotsync, rebooted, reinstalled hotsync, synced my 650 under a new name, and had a blank phone. then i installed all the apps i had on my 600 one by one
    and i had about 20 mbs left. i think the memory is fine, but its just a pain to transfer data from the 600 to the 650. Very time consuming. ill try contacts sooner or later.
    i dont think this issue is such a big deal, unless you really dont feel like going about it the step by step way (like you had to do if you didnt have a 600)
    sxtg and whmurray, do yo both have large contact or calendar dB's or do both of you have many Apps on your device that's taking up your user store.
    not only a pain to transfer data from 600 to 650, but very much unadvisable.
    in fact, DO NOT TRANSFER DATA FROM 600 TO YOUR 650. you have to find some way
    to replicate your apps, contacts, etc. I think you have to go about it as though you
    never had a 600. At least you know that will definately work. i dont think its an
    "early-adopter" problem, as it is not really an issue with the actual device. This is like
    windows 95 vs windows xp. You have to put your data in treo650 form rather than treo 600. So either transfer your data the rigorous way or wait for someone to come out with an app that will convert it for you, or wait for palmone to roll back the treo 650's file system to the treo 600's (unlikely)
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg
    The point isnt app conflict. We all expected that and could live it to some degree. The point is that it wont even get to point of conflict. It simply doesn't have space for the data.

try doing it the rigorous way, you'll see that it actually does have the
    space
    sxtg and whmurray, do yo both have large contact or calendar dB's or do both of you have many Apps on your device that's taking up your user store.
    Well, I have 2200 contacts. I also have a number of other applications. In any case, am I unreasonable in expecting that I would not have to trim them in order to "upgrade?" What is an "upgrade" anyway?
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    Well, I have 2200 contacts. I also have a number of other applications. In any case, am I unreasonable in expecting that I would not have to trim them in order to "upgrade?" What is an "upgrade" anyway?
    im gonna make a ton of contacts on my 650 to address the issue. I stand by
    palmone on this. Alot of the problem is coming from misunderstanding this new file system.

I think you all are not giving palmone a chance on this one. im sure they
    wouldnt send out a product that was faulty

ill post some pics
    off mem usage and stuff.

im not positive how this will turn out, but i think palmone knows what they are doing.

have faith fellow technofiles!
    So 2200 contacts isn't that large. After reading Shazsta's notes, he / she brought something to mind. So the web browser and other Apps eat up memory by caching. is this taking up large amounts of your SDRAM.
    Wow. Try putting in 2200 contacts one by one.
    a pain indeed
    Yeah that is a pain, but not needed. The dB should be sync'ed over as normal. It's the non-ROM Apps that are sync'ed one at a time.
    from what i gather, the old 600 contacts take up more space on the 650 than they do
    on the 600. i think it is because of the file system.i dont think hot sync compensates for this. i think it just transfers your old databases from the treo 600 onto the 650, with no conversion. This is the reason that there are all these memory problems. correct me if i'm wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny
    Yes.

I never thought, on the eve of the arrival of long-awaited product that many feel the original Treo should have been, we're having a discussion about running out of memory because the contacts database is too large.
    Heavens! I never realized my database was "too large." I thought that it is what it is. After all, I had ample space for it on my 600. I knew that I could no longer go back to a Palm but I did not think this was "my fault." I understand that I cannot "upgrade" to the 650 but I really did not think that it was "my fault," that I was doing something wrong.

I have one program that manages my contacts and calender and todos becaues they are all linked.

Quote Originally Posted by Shazsta
    try doing it the rigorous way, you'll see that it actually does have the space
    Unfortunatley Shazsta my database syncs online. I have tried to start fresh. The data is sent raw from my contact management software, it has absolutely no idea that it used to live on a 600.

Quote Originally Posted by Shazsta
    im gonna make a ton of contacts on my 650 to address the issue. I stand by palmone on this. Alot of the problem is coming from misunderstanding this new file system.

The FACT remains.... the data that once used to be 2.4meg is now 14.9meg

There is no misunderstanding here. In fact its all too painfully obvious
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast