Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am having this exasperating reset issue with my 600. The Treo 600 resets when I hit the SMS APP button when the phone is ON. When the Phone is OFF, even after a hard reset there shows up a SMS message from ID 611.

Latest ERR code is now saying " A reset was caused on 11/19/04 at 3:40 pm while running "SMS": ../Src/SMSRoutines.c, Line:573, No SMS DB refnum.

Another reset was due to MemoryMgr.c. Line:3642, Non-word-aligned handle

Verizon has already replaced my device once for the same problem, I just dont think replacing this again is going to survive for too long.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    The best thing you need to do if you encounter again the error is to regress your Treo 600 to its factory state by performing a special reset. But before you do the reset, its important to have a backup of your data.

Hold down the K and Backspace keys simultaneously. While continuing to hold down the K and Backspace keys, press the reset button inside the hole on the back panel of your device. Continue holding down K and Backspace. The screen will flash white briefly, and then go black. Release K and Backspace after this happens.

To revive your Treo 600, connect it to the AC charger and plug the charger into a socket. The screen will stay blank for several seconds (as long as half a minute), and then it will turn on. The LED will glow solid red, indicating charging. You should be careful with third party applications that would corrupt the system of your Treo 600 causing some unwanted behaviors.
    Last edited by Treology; 11/22/2004 at 02:28 AM.
  3.    #3  
    Doing a factory reset did not help the problem, it still resets when trying to go to SMS APP, am I doomed to going to a Verizon store again and requesting a new phone (again?) really frustrated, It is OK for a third party APP to cause problems, but once reset to factory settings the third party APP should not have really the ability to destroy built in APPs in my opinion, any more help?
    Did you restore all your apps or is this happening on a "clean" phone? Do you have a signature setup for sms, if so try disabling it.

HTH,
    -Joe
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
  5.    #5  
    Hi : Thanks for that tip
    I checked and I did not have a signature set, Funny thing is after a hard reset or a factory reset I do not have the problem in the SMS APP when the Phone is OFF. But turn the phone ON and then the reset happens rightaway when you tap the SMS APP. #*#err said that reset was caused in SMS at MemoryMgr.c Line:3642 Non word aligned handle
    This is a known problem, asa2004. I've replaced my VZW phone twice for the same bug. Even after the battery reset, when you have the phone on, the reset happens after pressing the SMS app. The phone doesn't last more than one month and the problem starts again.

I suspect firmware corruption over time caused by -- who knows what? You'll have to get your phone replaced since there does not appear to be a fix yet.

My first replacement gave me a phone with better reception. The second replacement has a lousy camera. Oh well, I'll probably have to replace it again next month! As I stated before:

"A Treo 600 replacement is like a box of chocolates...."
    Once you have performed the last resort, which is to regress your Treo 600 to factory state and nothing every happened to fix the problem. Then this would mean that you need to get another replacement. The last resort step affects the internal circuitry of your smartphone and if nothing happens that its fairly sure that there is a hardware issue.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    How interesting. My Treo started doing the exact same thing today. It kept resetting all day. I done a hard reset to factory default and as I soon as I do the SMS app, ZAP! Wireless off, no reset on SMS.

Looks like I am getting a new Treo. This will be my first replacement. I wonder how much headache Verizon will give me?
    They will give you worst than you expect.
    Bronson,
    VZW gave me zero headache. I just needed to explain the problem and ensure them that the problem persists when the phone has been returned to factory settings (battery reset). You should have your replacement in a couple of days after your call.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    I called VZW Wednesday night (late). The tech rep was awesome and after I explained what was happening and what I had done as far as resets, she said she would get a replacement right out to me. Probably be here Monday or Tuesday.

BTW, does the 1 year warranty restart with a replacement? If not, I sure need to try to add this puppy to my homeowners insurance if I can.

Hope you all had a great thanksgiving.
    -Bronson
  12.    #12  
    I have an update:
    For all of you that face this issue please check after a hard reset whether you can access the SMS APP with Phone OFF. If so then turn phone ON and then try again and see if you see a crash and if at any time. Then turn the phone OFF again and see if there is a Text message from userid 6161 with NO MESSAGE body and just a time stamp (and in most cases I see 2 messages exactly 3 hours apart) then you may be facing exactly what I have faced. Verizon tech support have been good so far and have tried to trace who this 6161 userID is and they have also called a company called air2web.com because it seems like they are the third party whose equipment this message is coming through. I have a contact email at air2web.com and a direct line to VZW Level 2 tech support , I will give them a few days to see if the air2web person is able to somehow block out this problem causing text message, and then will share the results of that exercise with all of you. Stay tuned...... I think Palm One should fix their ode so that so such errant text message can cause a crash but we may be able to attack this issue by trying to eliminate the root cause from happeneing (BTW VZW and me tried even changing the Mobile number to see if I had signed on to some alert which was causing this issue but the 6161 message came right back to my new mobile number as well)
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Thanks for the information. I will try that to see if I'm getting that SMS.

Now, even after a factory reset, the phone resets when I try to answer a call or try to place a call.

I still can't help but thinking the underlying problem is a memory issue. The odd thing is that the day before the resets started happening, I noticed a few files missing both stored on the SD card and in RAM. These files were just recently used which leads me to think they were corrupted during or after their last use.

Oh well. My replacement should be here tomorrow or Tuesday maybe.
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    I have been able to see the same sms message 6161 doing previously the same thing you did. I have replaced 5 Treo's due to this and currently they are sending me 2 replacements. Verizon is aware of this issue and said that they are working on it, they did not elaborate with me on this.
    Quote Originally Posted by asa2004
    I have an update:
    For all of you that face this issue please check after a hard reset whether you can access the SMS APP with Phone OFF. If so then turn phone ON and then try again and see if you see a crash and if at any time. Then turn the phone OFF again and see if there is a Text message from userid 6161 with NO MESSAGE body and just a time stamp (and in most cases I see 2 messages exactly 3 hours apart) then you may be facing exactly what I have faced.
    Yep, last week I called VZW and insisted on telling them about the crashes and 6161 messages under the same circumstances.

It would reset when trying to access anything which requires the phone to be turned on (voice & data).

It looks like -- with our help -- they are getting to the root of this problem.
    Global Posts
    853 Global Posts
    I was having the reset loop occur and I don't know what program DEFINITELY did it.....I think it was AOL. either way....I don't think the reset loop is the hardware.....try this, it's what I did, and seemed to work. Hotsynch everything and backup before you do this. Go into your Palm/your name/backup rename backup to backup.2 Hard reset your treo and hotsynch it. Try everything you have been doing with the clean unit and if it still continues to reset loop, then you will know it is definitely the hardware.
    Doug,
    Most of us have the problem on the phone after doing a battery-reset which puts it back to factory settings (more than a regular hard reset). We do not bother to restore anything at all and the problem persists.

It is likely a firmware corruption problem. We had something like that with the Kyocera 7135 and they needed to provide an update to resolve it.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Well my replacement got here. Its been activated so now the fun begins.

I noticed the software version was different on the replacement as the new is Treo600 1.04-VZW and the old was 1.03. I wonder if that updates the firmware?

I've looked back at all the sms and never from the 6161 number.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Guess what? Everything was fine with the replacement treo until I hot sync'd. Now, everytime I enter the SMS app, it starts resetting.

I'm really getting ticked with it. Any suggestions?
    Bronson,
    Delete everything pertaining to SMS using some file management system (filez, Zlauncher, McFile, etc.) Reset your phone and try again. That happened to to me also.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast