Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Having my 4th replacement shipped out today. Hopefully, it will arrive before Christmas.

I'm mixed on this one. I love VZW's hassle-free replacements but I don't like having to be "down" for a day or two. The bright spot about this bug is that my 15th replacement will likely be a Treo 650.

I just wish P1 and VZW would find a fix for this.
    has anyone figured what the problem is b/c i really like this phone and i'm going on my 4th replacement. please help!
    In the last two weeks I have been experiencing this problem and I’m on my third replacement. I use my treo all the time at work and not having a reliable device is really becoming inconvenient. Has anyone found a way to at least minimize the resetting? Also, I can not receive any text messages. Any time someone sends one to me it resets my device. Is this typical or can anyone still receive messages?
    tbone,

It is a real pain in the rear, isn't it? No, you can't receive text messages -- ever -- even after doing a hard/battey reset and not restoring anything at all. Once this happens, your phone is useless. It only operates as a PDA because if you connect to the voice network, you are at risk of getting the resets.

If you need voice AND data, the only thing I can suggest is borrowing a Kyocera 7135. Perhaps your neighborhood VZW store has one since they are not selling them anymore.

This problem has happened so many times I keep my old 7135 ready on the charger. It works just fine with VZW Wireless Sync and almost all of my apps running on my SD card too. All I do is switch ESNs and run Wireless Sync (server overwrites the Palm) to pick up all of the recent PIM and mail data. I'm technically "down" for less than 1 hour while waiting for my replacement to arrive.

The key to this working so smoothly is making sure the 7135 has your hotsync ID though. If you have another workstation, you should install the Palm Hotsync/Desktop software and Wireless Sync just for this device. This was a lot of work to set up in the beginning but after 4 replacements, it has been worth it for me.

HTH
    Ok yes! XM radio's request line (96966) must do the same thing as sms.ac. Total crash of SMS here as well. Time to ***** at XM.. Verizon sending a new unit.. having a friend of mine switch esn to a trash phone to purge the SMS messages that might be crashing, and then turn it back on to the new phone.. I hope palm gets this one patched soon.
    So i was at CES this weekend and went straight to P1 peeps to ask them why the verizon 600 was having this problem with the SMS reset.

P1 folks told me that verizon's server are having some sort of problem sending certain messages causing it to go in a loop, they told me the way to take care of this is to call verizon and have them clear out all the text messages under your phone number in the server(also you should do this in your phone as well) and then do a hard reset.

unfortunately, i already returned my 4th 600 and went back to my old phone and the zire71.
    if anyone decides to try this, let us know how it works out!
    thanks
  7.    #47  
    Last update is that PalmOne Patch for this issue is under Network Test at VZW and current ETA is 3rd week of Jan for us folks. Funny thing was that the VZW Rep had closed the ticket already, so now I have a new ticket opened until the issue is resolved
    Quote Originally Posted by crs127
    P1 folks told me that verizon's server are having some sort of problem sending certain messages causing it to go in a loop, they told me the way to take care of this is to call verizon and have them clear out all the text messages under your phone number in the server(also you should do this in your phone as well) and then do a hard reset.
    Some of us tried this and it didn't work. They even transferred the number to another phone. Once the phone is infected, it is replacement time.
    Got hit again and my 5th replacement should be here tomorrow (Saturday). VZW is offering me the VX6600 for $200. I'll miss the Treo 600 but these resets are intolerable.
    expecting a new phone to deliver a different result is futile. $5 says you get the same result. Esp if you do a HotSync with the same user name and folder, etc.
    Send me my $5. heh.
    (it's not a hardware issue; it's something in the SMS database, I betcha)
    nrosser - please read through the thread. It has NOTHING to do with the SMS database since the resets occur after a hard or battery reset and NO restore.

Update:

1. Got replacement today. Restored everything except SMS databases. All is well. Activated and new SMS messages are received without problem (for now).

2. Hard reset old device to return to VZW. Turned on radio (roaming, of course) Hit SMS key - RESET.

Nrosser - about that $5. I take Paypal. Check your PM for my email addy.
    Last edited by Beryl; 01/29/2005 at 07:12 PM.
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    There is a software fix that is out. I have had the update for about 2 1/2 weeks and have not had the reset issue. VZW should be releasing soon as it is in test right now.
    Does this affect only Sprint, only CDMA or is it any Treo?

It still looks like a virus to me
    Visor Platinum-->Visor NEO--->M505--->Treo 300 Sprint--->Treo 600---> TREO 650 ---> Treo 700P ---> Treo 755 --->Touch Diamond--->Touch Pro ---> Palm Pre
    Check out the expert judges at http//:mobileappsshowdown.com
    I had the same issue(resets on SMS) try this:

Backup your data
    Perform a factory reset, then do a hard reset.
    Reset the PRI by doing this,
    #*#774 send
    tap the reset to factory Default settings
    enter 000000(you need to click on the line to enter the zeros)
    Perform another factory reset and hard reset.
    Perform a hotsync to put your data back on your phone.

This is supposedly a SMS short code corruption from a few known user id's including the 6161
    VZW is aware and they have a firmware flash that needs to be performed at a VZW store, however all stores are waiting for the cable and firmware program.
  15.    #55  
    That last suggestion was on the money gadgetman,,,,,does this still mean that I need the firmware upgrade when it does become ready ?

I did have to hurry a little bit so I could type all the 6 0s before I crashed on me again, but I found that when I dialled the #*#774 number with the phone OFF, it gave the extra few seconds I needed to type in the 000000.

After hjotsyncing please remember to remove any existing SMS messages in the INBOX and then all seems OK so far ,,,have exactly done it just a few seconds ago,,,,will update , Thanks again Gadgetman you rock

Some third party app still crashes (TreoClock) but I can try removing and reinstalling that one. That issue also appeared around the same time as this SMS one, so maybe my assumption that they were related problems was wrong.
    Terrific!
    I do like the Treo 600 and this was the only thing causing me to want to switch to another device. I was planning to call for a VZ6600 today but if there is a really fix for this problem (even Gadgetmann's workaround is good), I'll hold off for the camera version.

Thanks for the confirmation, asa.
    It doesn't work for me. Is it necessary to hotsync your personal data back on the phone before the fix takes? I did these steps (no hotsync) and it continuously resets when hitting the message button:

Backup your data
    Perform a factory reset, then do a hard reset.
    Reset the PRI by doing this,
    #*#774 send
    **turn the phone off ** (like asa, it crashes before I can get the zeros in)
    tap the reset to factory Default settings
    enter 000000(you need to click on the line to enter the zeros)
    Perform another factory reset and hard reset.

Hit the messages key -- **CRASH**
  18.    #58  
    Hi Beryl:

Did you actually successfully get all the zeros IN and hit OK, if not it actually did not successfuly reset the PRI. I found that if you dial the #*#774 when the phone is OFF, it gives you a an extra second to quickly type the 000000 in and hit the OK before it crashes on you again.

I had to go thru the process a few times before I successfully could see some message after typing the 000000 and OK after which I had to turn the phone OFF, go to the SMS APP , delete the messages that were in there from 6161, and then turn the phone ON which then fixed the problem

Let me know how it works out
    ASA
    I'll try again, Asa.

Today my VZ6600 arrived and I'm not impressed. I prefer the smaller form factor and intuitive nature of the Palm-based smartphones.

Today, VZW confirmed that a fix for the SMS bug is being tested.
    Update. It does indeed work. The key is to get that 000000 in and press OK to see the resulting message. You really have to be quick about it too.

Now when I turn on the phone and press the SMS button, it doesn't crash. There were no 6161 messages to delete but I'm thinking is because I switched to another phone -- not sure about that though.

I'll be on a business trip for a few weeks and plan to carry my Treo 600 along with my VX6600. I have 13 more days to decided if I actually need a phone more than a PDA.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast