Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Thanks Beryl. that worked. It seems to be working just fine now. It sure is nice to find others in the same boat that can share tips.

Thanks again!
    It happened AGAIN.

We did everything - hard reset/battery reset/clearing out SMS queues at VZW/moving phone numbers to another phone. Nothing helped so a replacement is in the mail. The know about this problem and once a message comes through the phone is corrupted and it will not work properly again.

This is my 4th replacement. Back to my Kyocera 7135.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Oh man, Beryl. That isn't good. I wonder if VZW will work with someone on switching to another brand phone if this continues?? I sure hate knowing I spent this much $$$ on something that will continue to cause problems.... then turning around and spending more $$$ to buy a different brand.

I originally wanted the Samsung i600, but seen the treo and loved it. Plus, I already had palm software.
    I've got the same thing. I go into SMS, a new message body comes up. I am able to go as far as find a contact email or ph#, but the second I select one, BAM, Reset. We need to keep this thread alive so when Verizon fixes this we all get new, perfect phones. Maybe they won't fix it and we'll all get 650s
    I asked about getting another phone since they have some unwritten rule about Kyocera 7135s -- 3 replacements and then you get a Treo for no extra cost. They told me that they are working on a fix and will just keep replacing. *Rats* I'd love to get a 650 (once the memory issue is resolved).

Off-topic:
    I also wouldn't mind the new Audiovox XV6600. I have 7 years worth of Palm software but with Wireless Sync, transferring over PIM and mail is no trouble.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    I guess as they long as they have a continous, reburbished, recirculating supply of 600's, why give someone an upgrade to a new model?

I posted the SMS reset question on Palmone's Forum. I'm interested in seeing if Palm will make any comments.
    This is the 2nd treo thats resetting itself when i hit the sms button and the phone is only 2 weeks old.
    I really like this phone but this problem is about to make me return the treo and have my old phone turned back on!
    Has anyone found out why this is happening?
    thanks
    people - try this, and see what happens:

Go into the file deletion section of your device (home key, Menu/Delete). Scroll down (or hit the 'S' key to get there faster) to the SMS area. Delete the file 'SMS Messages', do a soft reset, and see if that fixes anything. I suspect that something in your SMS database got corrupted. It's not a hardware issues, I betcha....
  9.    #29  
    The deletion of SMS messages is not succeeding, it says cannot delete SMS messages. Verizon support is yet to deliver anything substantial yet. Still waiting. VZW support tried to clone my telephone number on a another Treo 600 they had to see if the errant SMS message shows up on the new phone as well, but they could not make it happen on that phone. I spend hours on the phone everytime with them but nothing concrete has happened yet
    and just to confirm - you're attempting to delete the SMS message database via the process I describe above - ? Meaning, you're not going into the SMS app itself to delete the message database, correct? The place to delete the message database is via the main file/delete area. Just want to make sure....
    Looks like I screwed up my Treo 600 too!

It seemed to occur when I signed up for an SMS.AC account (http://sms.ac/)

Soft and Hard Resets did not help. I tried the K - backspace idea but need to get to a charger to get the phone working again.
    Update: The "special" reset did not work either.

Guess I am off to the VZW store!

Could a text message do this? (Talk about cell phone viruses!)
    Quote Originally Posted by nrosser
    I suspect that something in your SMS database got corrupted. It's not a hardware issues, I betcha....
    nrosser,
    It happens after doing a battery reset and NOT restoring anything. Therefore, it is a hardware (or firmware corruption) issue. Once the phone has been infected, there is nothing that you can do but replace it.

Yesterday another replacement phone arrived from VZW and my current phone is still working!

I guess they looked at the pattern:
    1st replacement after 2 months
    2nd replacement after 1 month
    3rd replacement after 2 weeks

I was due for a replacement so they were being proactive.

The only thing I've signed up for is AIM-mobile and I doubt that is the problem.
    I spoke with SMS.AC and they know they are causing the problem, although I do not get the feeling they are going to do anything about it!

I deleted all the SMS files I could find wtih Filez and it did NOT help.

It is clear to me that the Text Confirmation Note sent to me by SMS.AC trashed the SMS program on my phone. Soft, hard and factory reset did NOT fix the problem. It is clearly a hardware issue. Something in the SMS.AC message must get into the Flash memory somehow!

VZW is sending a new (?refurbished) Treo to me!

(Still can't believe it happened!)
    Quote Originally Posted by drrjv
    I spoke with SMS.AC and they know they are causing the problem, although I do not get the feeling they are going to do anything about it!
    I don't think they should. This situation is not unlike a virus albeit unintentional. We don't letting MS off the hook for the holes in their OS.

Treo 600 firmware shouldn't be corrupted by any text messages. VZW and Palmone needs to update the firmware to prevent this.
    According to a post on Howard Forum and unlededonline, SMS.AC is a scam!

Check this out:

http://www.unleadedonline.net/uo-243-1.html
    so has anyone figured out what really is causing this? I'm now affected by it I sent a sms to 96966 which is a sms # that XM Radio puts out on their top 20 channel so that you can interactively vote on songs. When I got an SMS back it crashed the phone, now i'm having the same symptoms. I've gone through all the stuff everyone has suggested here and i'm having no luck. When I delete the files and soft reset with the wireless mode off i can get into the SMS when I turn the wireless on then go into SMS it dies, then it restarts with wireless off and i see a message from 96850. I've done a hard reset without a sync (i.e. nothing on the device) it still does this!

What in the world?
    Suggestion: Go to vtext.com and block all messages from sms.ac

This company is bad! They don't care if your phone gets hosed. I spoke with their support people to no avail. Palm and the carriers need to get in on this too! I sent email to both of them (no answer yet).
    This sounds like a virus.If it is, I wonder if the "author" has a financial stake in replacement Treos or problems for VZW and/or P1?
    Visor Platinum-->Visor NEO--->M505--->Treo 300 Sprint--->Treo 600---> TREO 650 ---> Treo 700P ---> Treo 755 --->Touch Diamond--->Touch Pro ---> Palm Pre
    Check out the expert judges at http//:mobileappsshowdown.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonman_0206
    This sounds like a virus.If it is, I wonder if the "author" has a financial stake in replacement Treos or problems for VZW and/or P1?

I would have to agree this seems like a malicious virus type thing. I am amazed at how F'ed my phone is now. I can do a full factory reset (disconnect from battery reset with the backspace and k buttons, I think it was) and without syncing or anything it dies with the same problems.

Quite amazing really.

Kevin
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast