Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213 LastLast
    I removed the off topic posts. This is not censorship of the ideas contained, they were simply in the wrong thread.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by LateNight
    Why on earth wouldnt P1 sell a 128 MB upgrade for $50 or so, it would cover the cost of memory and installation.....?
    I expect the answer is that there is no way or place to install it. Would not know where to begin opening up my 600 but have not seen a 650. Perhaps a 650 owner would comment.
    How about this for a potential solution or fix for the next generation.
    Why not only have the data backed up the the NV memory when the battery is running low, or when you activate a backup feature?
    Then they can program the File system or whatever to use smaller segments, there's no speed issue of waiting for data to be retrieved or written to the slower ram and you STILL have the safety net of having your data backed up.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbdd
    Now, he also said that EVERYONE who owns the 650 will be contacted, you DO NOT have to contact P1 to make this happen.
    Don't call us, we'll call you.

I must say that I'm disappointed that no one here has bothered to address the questions/ideas I raised earlier in this thread (twice, no less!). I guess I'll need to start up my own thread.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    I was just looking at the palmOne Help Center and found a recent post and partial answer that seems relevant to this thread...

Subject: Treo 650 Contacts Database Storage Limitation

Question from sstockst (user):
    "I am trying to get my contacts to sync onto my new Treo 650. There appears to be a limitation on the number of contacts I can have in my contacts database.

Can you tell me what this limit is? It's far less than my Treo 600 because that is where these contacts originated."

Answer from anastrphe (palmOne employee):
    "this issue is being discussed (and ranted and flamed etc) on treocentral.com - it's not a specific limitation on the raw number of contacts, the problem has to do with the new 'chunk size' the filesystem uses to store information. because the chunk size is significantly larger than before, a single, small contact record can take up significantly more memory than before. users on treocentral.com who have large contact databases are reporting that they are unable to sync them all to the treo 650. the only solution at this time is to clear out as many larger applications as possible to make room for the contacts.

i'm not an expert, just a user. i have a small contacts list myself.

Palm is aware of the issue and has responded that they will find a fix. how long it will take is anyone's guess. considering how fundamental chunksize is to the structure and operation of a filesystem, i would imagine it would be non-trivial, to understate it dramatically...."
    One of my coworkers carried aPalm V (not a Vx) and a Nokia mobile phone. He decided he wanted email functionality and could get it with a Treo 600 or the T-Mobile Blackberry phone. He asked my advice and I showed him all the cool things my 600 could do. He finally went for the Blackberry because of the scroll wheel. And would you believe he NEVER installed any aftermarket software on his Palm V? It was only used for calendar and around 100 contacts. I'm afraid many others are in this same class...
  7.    #167  
    Quote Originally Posted by miradu
    I removed the off topic posts. This is not censorship of the ideas contained, they were simply in the wrong thread.

Here is the "fix" from F1:

- Take Treo
    - Liberally apply Vaseline to device
    - Insert into "contact" location
    - This will result in an "memory boost" that will remain long after device is removed.

Thanks for choosing F1, and please spend another $600 next year on our products.

I laugh when I here they will "fix" it. Fat chance! Change the file system? ROTFLMAO!

This is a huge huge engineering oversight and clusterF.

I knew F1 mgmt was pathetic, but now the engineers wear the distinction as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by bremeski
    I was just looking at the palmOne Help Center and found a recent post and partial answer that seems relevant to this thread...
    Answer from anastrphe (palmOne employee):
    dude, nowhere on that page does it say that anastrophe is a palmone employee. that was *me* who posted that, and i'm just a user like everyone else. geez.
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    <a href=http://www.anastrophe.com>www.anastrophe.com</a>
    Sorry, my bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg
    Mine is not usable with just 2400 contacts, and only the preinstalled apps. The point is not that we can't store the global phone directory on our palm pilot. The point is that what we as a consumer have always beleived 23 meg to be, has now changed significantly.

Apparently there needs to be a rating that we the consumer can associate with memory.

Rome, If you spent top dollar on a 1gig SD card only to find out it holds about the same data as the cheap 256meg SD card you would be pissed and you know it.
    Sxtg, the point I made is that P1 made a trade-off between more memory and non-volatile memory. If I put my old product manager hat back on, I would probably choose non-volatile memory over more memory as well. And I suspect that most target Treo 650 users would do the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite
    Use FlyZip in the meantime. Especially great for apps you don't use very often.

http://palmgear.com/index.cfm?fuseac...3&prodid=41553
    I won't be using FlyZip again. I had not used it on my 600, but from your post, I decided to download it from the Palm Gear link you provided. I zippped a few items to my SD card and then tried to run one of them. It was Big Clock. I figured that was simple enough.

It threw the 650 into an endless loop of resets. I had to do a Hard Reset and reload everything. I had made sure that I had synced BEFORE I put FlyZip on, so I lost nothing and I can only hope that every else that tries to use it is as fortunate.
    jamesalexander (at) compuserve.com
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    I hate to say I told ya so, but a couple months back I mentioned this would be an issue.

For all the happy horseshyte emails, there will be no fix for this.

it is a fundamental flaw, just like using BT 1.1 instead of 1.2.

the "fix" is to buy a Treo 700 next year, assuming Palm can execute that fast (unlikely).
    Yeah, the Treo 700 will have WiFi as well.... But it'll only work during a full moon.
    Quote Originally Posted by RonlTreo
    One of my coworkers carried aPalm V (not a Vx) and a Nokia mobile phone. He decided he wanted email functionality and could get it with a Treo 600 or the T-Mobile Blackberry phone. He asked my advice and I showed him all the cool things my 600 could do. He finally went for the Blackberry because of the scroll wheel. And would you believe he NEVER installed any aftermarket software on his Palm V? It was only used for calendar and around 100 contacts. I'm afraid many others are in this same class...
    I don't think that this is the case for most $600-$700 Treo users who also need to shell out some extra to replace their accessories.

Most people in this price range are geared toward more hardcore users, and most of them load their phones with as many applications as their memory will hold.

Obviously, they will have to delate some apps and/or databases to make room, and as has been noted, some people may not be able to get all of their contacts/calendar/memo/to-do on the T650.

I myself have had THE SAME data in my Palm Devices since the 90's and just accumulate, rarely delete (thank goodness for hotsync interoperability between Palm devices). You would be suprised how many times this has saved my bacon. Doing a search on some arcane thing I entered in my Palm 3 years ago has really, really been immensly helpful at points in time I never thought I would need it again.

I don't plan to delete either. I expect more, or at least the same amount memory with each passing year for the same amount of money (as most any tech peson does).

I can't uses the Treo 650, and this really disappoints me. I will continue using my Treo 600 for as long as it serves me, then need to figure out how to move all of this data to PPC (any suggestions?).

Anyway, the point of all this is: I don't think many Treo users leave a whole lot of spare memory on the device.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome
    I think some of you have taken this memory thing too far, making it sound like the 650 is not usable at all. How many people out there do you think that actually have a contact list of 20,000??? How many people out there do you think that actually have more than 5 third-party software installed on their treos?
    Everyone keeps sayin that the typical user wont notice it -- but the typical user isn't a high school teeny bopper buying it to play with the ringtones and the camera.. The typical user is a corporate type who WILL have hundreds of contacts, or a geeky power user who wants to install 10 apps and have more than a meg of space left..
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Joebar99
    The typical user is a corporate type who WILL have hundreds of contacts, or a geeky power user who wants to install 10 apps and have more than a meg of space left..
    The typical corporate user generally has a ton of contacts, and not a lot of 3rd party apps. Corporations like to deploy in fleets, and want to manage what goes on the devices. For the same reason corporations policy lock laptops, you see this trend more and more with corporate issued wireless devices.

The last thing IT guys want is a 3am call from an end-user on a business trip in Tokyo who can't get their Treo 650 to start up, and find out they loaded an incompatible version of "Half Life 2" on their PDA.

The real power users are still the ones who buy the Treo for themselves, whether for personal or business use, and these folks will always want more memory and find a way to fill it. Unless the corporations themselves rely on a lot of 3rd party software (which I would have to see to believe), I think the average corporate-issued Treo going have a few megs free.
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert C. Lee
    The typical corporate user generally has a ton of contacts
    Which according to the posts here is enough to cripple it without even having an apps installed.
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Joebar99
    Which according to the posts here is enough to cripple it without even having an apps installed.
    I'm not sure if I'm ready to believe that based on Shazsta's experiments, showing well over any reasonable number of contacts (10k+) within the memory space.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by speclcajun
    my response to this post by pabo
    fire up an another thread and I'll meet you there...
    whats his email addy? love to send one too