Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    granted i don't own a 650 yet (ordering one on monday via viennachannels) and i've never owned a 600, but given that this issue has just been realized by the community - what fix could he possibly have knowledge about that he could post or respond to e-mails with? Let's assume they realized this issue before the device was released (and still not fast enough for the masses here), I doubt they would have rolled it out if they had a working fix that could have been implemented. Blame them on bad design, blame them for lack of forethought, but at least give them some time to fix the thing. Many of you haven't even taken delivery of the device yet and have already commenced with a "crusade" like mission - to the point of demanding a recall. I'm betting a significant number of people will likely never fill the memory on this thing. Not making excuses for palmOne - just suggesting that we need to give them the opportunity to fix the thing before blasting them to kingdom come. Besides, the power of the purse is yours here. If you feel the memory isn't sufficient, or P1's response isn't to your liking - there are several alternatives available to fill your needs. just my humble opinion...
    1st SFG (A)

if at first you don't succeed - RELOAD!
    this is a nightmare, the treo is trying to work with Real Estate agents thru the MLS. The amount of Data we down load and and maintain is unbelievable. I have cancled my unit thru palm. (we have kept the one we received from sprint for a few days, to see how it will do for the house, However, from the posts here for the business, no treo until resoloved.
    Certainly. I think that's a good idea if everyone is for it.

Also, I sent him an email from my work addy. That's how I've been communicating with him and others. I hope others who have emailed him have done so (if possible, of course) in a professional manner.

Quote Originally Posted by kd_cooke
    Instead of burrying the poor guy in additional emails, might I suggest a well concieved letter explaining our concern, paired with some sort of digital petition we can send him -- don't you all think a list of a few thousand names from TreoCentral (and other online communities) might grab some attention at P1?

If we can rally around the creation of a Bluetooth driver for the 600; can't we make ourselves heard here too?
    Moving this from the other memory thread:

Question for those with contact manager/memory issues: What are you using? I use ACT's conduit (not freestanding ACT for Palm), which adds my contacts to the built in Address Book app. This suits my needs pretty nicely, and my 1700-entry db takes about 400k on my m505. I'm ASSUMING that I'll still have a nice cozy sub-meg db when I buy my 650.

Coming off of my 7MB Palm w/ a 16MB SD card, I have trouble getting TOO worked up about the memory issue, but I'm glad y'all are airing it out. I like being an informed consumer!
    My prediction of the upcoming palmOne "solution" to this problem:

Limited-time coupon for 25% off any palmOne branded SD memory card of your choice

In all seriousness, can anyone here tell me if there's anything innately different about the stock Treo launcher such that it might now allow you to store any type of app to an SD card and still allow you to categorize the app icon wherever you want? If so, that combined with developers doing what they should have done a long time ago and updating their apps such that they can be loaded completely to SD card (and just load into local RAM temporarily as "run-time" memory), could be good enough for me. I'm a Zodiac 1 (32MB) owner and I can tell you that all of the best Zodiac-optimized games are designed such that they can be installed entirely to SD card.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    I think part of this "crusade" reponse you speak of is related to the frustration we've had with P1 when we originally found out about the 32MB specs a couple of months ago. While the specs were not 100% confirmed, there was strong evidence to suggest nothing otherwise.

Now that the day has come where the T650 has been publically released and people are having problems from the get go with the 32MB RAM situation - it has become an all the more frustrating "I told you so, Palm" situation.

What makes it even more frustrating is that this is such a great phone!! There's nothing quite like it: form factor, Palm OS, Palm community, etc.

Once I experienced this problem today - FIRSTHAND - I crossed over to the side of those that said 32MB RAM was inexcusable about a month ago (perhaps for different reasons). Even so, I can see why.

Quote Originally Posted by 1SFG
    granted i don't own a 650 yet (ordering one on monday via viennachannels) and i've never owned a 600, but given that this issue has just been realized by the community - what fix could he possibly have knowledge about that he could post or respond to e-mails with? Let's assume they realized this issue before the device was released (and still not fast enough for the masses here), I doubt they would have rolled it out if they had a working fix that could have been implemented. Blame them on bad design, blame them for lack of forethought, but at least give them some time to fix the thing. Many of you haven't even taken delivery of the device yet and have already commenced with a "crusade" like mission - to the point of demanding a recall. I'm betting a significant number of people will likely never fill the memory on this thing. Not making excuses for palmOne - just suggesting that we need to give them the opportunity to fix the thing before blasting them to kingdom come. Besides, the power of the purse is yours here. If you feel the memory isn't sufficient, or P1's response isn't to your liking - there are several alternatives available to fill your needs. just my humble opinion...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalai Lama
    Thanks to midmofan who got to the right people while I was ranting and raving.

From everything I have read, the suits at P1 totally misjudged the user base. They figured memory didn't matter to the vast majority of Treo buyers. I think they will be a little more careful next time....
    Had Handspring still been in the 'drivers seat', I doubt this would have happened.
    Hey TreoCentral folks - PalmOne has heard you. This concern has echoed loud and clear to them.. In fact, this was told to me in a voicemail I received today. We don't want palmOne employees to begin to dislike TreoCentral's users. People like Peter, while important, are not equipped to handle a flood of email of customer queries - palmone reads this forum, I know it for a fact, you're concerns are being heard. I'm not sure what is being done at this point, I'm looking into it, but they're hearing you.

A reminder that the TOS that you agreed to when you first signed up for TreoCentral does not allow you to post email addresses. Don't do it.

Thanks for your patience; we look forward to continue looking into the issue.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
  9.    #49  
    Very Good points, perhaps if TC put an article on the front page entitled "The Treo 650 Has Severe Memory Problems" it would stop people from emailing Peter and others to death!

Quote Originally Posted by miradu
    Hey TreoCentral folks - PalmOne has heard you. This concern has echoed loud and clear to them.. .... We don't want palmOne employees to begin to dislike TreoCentral's users. People like Peter, while important, are not equipped to handle a flood of email of customer queries - palmone reads this forum, I know it for a fact, you're concerns are being heard. I'm not sure what is being done at this point, I'm looking into it, but they're hearing you.

A reminder that the TOS that you agreed to when you first signed up for TreoCentral does not allow you to post email addresses. Don't do it.

Thanks, and we look forward to continue looking into it.
    BTW, I never posted anybody's email address, but was happy that someone did and that Peter was great enough to respond to us!
    I posted his address. I apologize to Peter and those who I have offended. There was a better way to do this. My way was irrational.
    miradu, I love TreoCentral. But...I'm sorry..."it has become somewhat distracting and annoying?" We are the paying customers here (or, in some cases, potential customers). Where have they been the last year? Certainly not here posting threads asking for useful feedback. And as someone who pre-ordered from palmOne with their "special upgrade deal" of a free BT headset (whoopdedoo) only to watch others buy from Sprint and get their Treo 650's first, they certainly aren't scoring any points with me.

Scott
  12.    #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by illustreous
    I posted his address. I apologize to Peter and those who I have offended. There was a better way to do this. My way was irrational.
    Well, while I certainly understand the concern about posting the email address, the result was much more than I have ever seen out of P1 on such an issue and, even though many of us knew that some folks at P1 do read the forum, now we most certainly know of specific people who recognize AND agree that there is a problem that needs to be addressed. I don't think that would have happend otherwise.
    Just to clarify...I'm not saying that I agree that bombarding this one guy with emails is the best course of action. But the paraphrased response that miradu quoted was, if even somewhat accurate, unacceptable.

Scott
    Yeah, I have to agree that this was handled in the best possible manner. There needed to be a way to get an urgent message to Palm and it got to them. I can't think of a better way to have gotten it to them without them being able to claim it was just a small minority as they have done with wifi and bluetooth in the past.

Scott R is right about Sprint shipping them first by what appears to be about a week or more. It should be a situation for first order, first serve.
    Quote Originally Posted by yeah yeah
    lol @ the believers
    Perfect commentary!

I think the memory issues are going to be resolved just about the same time PalmOne gets back to miradu about those Treo 600 reliability issues!
    Quote Originally Posted by miradu
    Hey TreoCentral folks - PalmOne has heard you. This concern has echoed loud and clear to them.. In fact, as I was told in a voicemail today, it has become somewhat distracting and annoying. We don't want palmOne employees to begin to dislike TreoCentral's users.
    Miradu, I would first like to say that I love this site (which is obviously apparent) and love the work you and marcus have done with the in-depth reviews and stories. But, I have to say that this type of response from PalmOne is absolutely infuriating and I sincerely hope they were not trying to insinuate that you pass along this dismissive message to other Treocentral users. Note to PalmOne: Treocentral users are your customers! Are you saying that you dislike you own customers?! And that also your most fervant and loyal customers?!

I have no arguement with the fact that Treocentral has the right to enforce its TOS and email addy to execs like this should not be posted. However, anyone who went to any of the Treo Roadshows and asked most probably already had these email addy's. Bascially, I just hope PalmOne doesn't take advantage of Treocentral as some type of corporate mouth piece to quell users dis-satisfaction with their products...

Let me ask you PalmOne, which senario would you rather have: Tons of users bombarding you incesantly with questions and issues concerning your new red hot Treo, or no queries at all b/c no one gave a damn about your new phone? Let me assure you, the latter can happen very quickly...

I only hope that the encouraging response by Peter Silkman is more indicative of the attitudes PalmOne execs have of their loyal customers...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I'm going to have to apologize myself, and change my original statement. The words
    annoying or distracting were never used in my conversation. Instead, from the context (people calling me that normally don't), and from the tone of the conversation, that this event, by my interpretations, fit under the emotions described above.

I don't want to take responsibility for the actions of PalmOne, or even defend them - I'm not happy with the situation either. But I just want to make sure that people think through their actions carefully. Lastly, it's not that I'm against emailing execs every once in a while (If you can figure out their email, why not?), I only feel that it is rude to kinda mass flood somebody like what happened here.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    Actually, if you think about it, emails really wont make a difference. If people keep buying the thing like they are, why change it?
    Whats going to make a difference is if people DONT buy it and either keep their 600 or go with something different.
    People can whine and cry all they want (and its a valid whine and cry. Im with you on it) but if you buy one anyway, why would they care. Your still a customer.
    They will just wait until a new release next winter and charge everyone another 500+ bucks to get a treo with 64M and Wifi.
    Its marketing and money.
    I would actually be shocked if they did anything to fix it in the near future. If they did, they would be number one in my book. But I personally dont hold to much faith in big corporations.
    Now if this was AOL, they listen to their customers, ive seen their commercials!!!!!
    lol

Mark
  19.    #59  
    Ironically, for someone that gets attacked sometimes by some people on this board as being a shill for, or beholdin to, or otherwise too easy on P1, that comment miradu posted was one of the worst things you could do to attack the company. If true, it shows an astonishing negative attitude towards and lack of understanding about its customers that does not bode well for P1's future.
    Miradu, I think you had better place a return call to those who phoned you and gave you this impression. Tell them the way they handle this issue (and you, and those of us who rely on you and your site) will dictate THEIR future. Fix this problem in a dignified and caring manner, and we will be customers for life. Blow us off, and they will be marginalized very, very quickly.
    http://www.doctordalai.com
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast