Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalai Lama
    Thanks to midmofan who got to the right people while I was ranting and raving.

From everything I have read, the suits at P1 totally misjudged the user base. They figured memory didn't matter to the vast majority of Treo buyers. I think they will be a little more careful next time....
    I don't think that's it at all. The suits figured they were giving us the SAME amount of memory as the 600, which they figured was "good enough". Now that it's been shown that we are ending up with LESS usable memory due to the change in the way memory is used, they are realizing they've got a problem.
    ppl need to stop emailing him

he gets it

palm cant fix it if he has to respond to the emails.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    The good folks at engadget have an short article on this issue:

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000133020888/

As a newb who just ordered, I am very concerned. How could this happen?
  4.    #24  
    Lama got a response as well Peter said, responding to Lama, at that point, he had 20 e-mails in just a few mins.

What does everyone think? Should people give him a break at this point since he obviously has heard the message or should the emails continue? I, for one, intend to leave him alone for a while but am interested in what others think.
    Last edited by midmofan; 11/19/2004 at 04:32 PM.
    I think it's probably fair to take his e-mail address out for now. I'll archive it and maybe send a note on mid-Monday just so that he knows that it's not just a knee-jerk reaction and it went away because he stopped getting e-mails. Still, I think he gets 300 a day he won't have time to actually get any real work done on the problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan
    I just emailel Peter again thanking him for his responses and asking if the "fix" he was thinking of would cover only future units or if it would upgrade the existing ones. In other words, "are early-adopters out of luck?"

But most people who are willing to spend 350 - 600 on a phone are early adapters.
    Arent pretty most/all that have a PDA phone early adopters.
    Arent' most/all that use BT early adopters.
    Sprint needs to realize that this phone will be replace by another model by the time the mainstream wants this phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan
    Lama got a response as well (as he said in another thread). Peter said, responding to Lama, at that point, he had 20 e-mails in just a few mins.

What does everyone think? Should people give him a break at this point since he obviously has heard the message or should the emails continue? I, for one, intend to leave him alone for a while but am interested in what others think.

I believe that more e-nmails are better, than they know that it is not a very vocal minority. Additionally, it give him ammunition to present to senior management that it really is a problem that is not going to go away, and therefore needs to be address before it gets much larger

Just my thoughts. Besides they said they want to hear from the user community
    He got the message, but did he GET the message? He may think that there are just a few crackpots like myself out there that have nothing better to do than harass him. I am a bit worried that he has not yet given even the slightest specific about the "fix" to me or anyone else. While I wouldn't recommend everyone send him 50 emails from each of your 12 free hotmail accounts, I do think he needs to realize that this is something the mainstream is worried about, and not just those of us at the lunatic fringe. Use your own judgement. I do believe a polite, respectful message is in order. He appears to be a good man, and interested in doing the right thing.
    http://www.doctordalai.com
    I don't see how you fix the fact that 650 doesn't have enough memory without adding memory. (What does a firmware upgrade do except give back what was lost by the new file system, still leaving you without enough memory really.)

Adding memory at this late date is an expensive option for P1. They have some choices if they want to go down this road. Do they have a product recall, whereby they freeze production, upgrade the prodution line to 64mb, and allow all existing 650 owners to send in their current models for replacements, or do they issue a 650b model that has 64mb and either screw existing 650 owners or offer them an upgrade, and if P1 goes the 650b route does that mean they still sell the 650? How much extra would the 650b be worth. (And they have to get Sprint on board because this costs Sprint time and money to re-issue, re-provision new phones.

I think the trap P1 fell into was that they did such a good job with the form factor that they were thinking of 650 as a phone (and for a phone 32mb is a lot of memory) and they overlooked that with the huge install base of Palm OS users and huge library of Palm software that as a PDA 650 is very inadequate with 32mb of memory.

Anyway that's my take.
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
    --Treo 650 unlocked/unbranded with Rogers
    I'm the one who put his email address out for public consumption. I believe it was done in good faith and rightfully so. This is a serious issue. Whether you are a Treo junkie here or an average user, PalmOne has created an environment which is a detriment to its users, much less to itself.

While the TC community may represent a small sample of all Treo users (300, 600, 650...) we also serve in a way, as a body, to keep companies like Palm "honest." Never underestimate the power of consumers. If Mossberg, Pogue and some of these others cats find considerable credence in our first hand stories and experiences then the tech media will publically rip Palm a new one.

Informed people always have the power.

I don't regret posting his email. However, I do feel bad about the slew of emails he must have gotten. He's a the director of development. This is essentially a problem that wasn't foreseen or resolved with the development of the 650. It comes with the territory. This is a cut-throat industry. Generally the more (effective and reasonable) pressure, the faster the response.
    Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    What's even more unbelievable is that not a soul who reviewed this phone(including Mr. Mossburg) caught this....did no one attempt to sync there contacts as part of their review? Seems a little strange, that's all.
  12.    #32  
    Well, in what is my last email to him for the time being, I thanked him again and sent him the engaget link (http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000133020888/). If he shows that to people at P1 I think they would be concerned.
    Peter is great, I talked to him extensively at the Roadshow. He disasembled my 600 at the Roadshow, showed me the inside, made a quick fix of something minor. I asked him about the memory issue and at that time they seemd geniunely concerned and he asked me several questions regarding it. I was very impressed, I have faith.
  14.    #34  
    Did he void your warranty???? LOL
    I suspect all palm devices will use this type of memory in the future. It shouldn't take long for many of the software companies to rework their apps a bit to use memory more efficiently.

My understanding of the problem. (Which may not be right...)

File Storage waste:
    As a programmer if I created a bunch of small files I would just have to combine them to prevent 512bytes of space being used up for each one. This way instead of using up to 511 bytes of memory for no reason for each file it would be 511 bytes of wasted space maximum for the entire database. Get it?

Ram waste:
    If this waste happens every time an application allocates RAM then an OS change may be possible to eliminate this waste.

Programmers that are aware of the problem could simply allocate memory in larger chunks and keep track of things internally to eliminate the waste. No, I don't think a programmer should have to do this but some of the major palm tool players may choose to do this vs. waiting for Palm to sort this out. (I hope)

Anyway, if the 650 doesn't do what I want then I may give the 6601 a try. I have been tempted to go that route anyway beause I write software for the damn things.
    I was going to get the 650 due to size, battery life and usability but this could kill usability.

Signed,

Current Kyocera 7135 user
    Peter was fantastic. As a matter of fact, I've exchanged a few excellent emails with him, one of which he actually directed me to the director of marketing (I won't release that email ).

At the roadshow he spoke to me in great length about Palm's decision to keep the external antenna, their decision to not use a removable battery, etc.

He's a great guy with great poise. I respect his ability to talk freely about open issues with the T600 and T650 and really be down to Earth with fellow Treo and non-Treo users.

With his territory also comes responsibility...
    Here is his reply to me, then I asked him the hard questions that are really on everyones mind...

Thank you. I appreciate your prompt reply Peter.

We all want to support Palm 1 in anyway we can.

Are some decision-makers looking into a solution?

What immediate remedy can Treo 650 owners expect, what will it entail,
    and when can they count on it?

Respectfully,

iZ

> Thanks XXX,
    >
    > We appreciate your comments and I can attest from the 20 emails I received in
    > the last few minutes that this is indeed something the community is passionate
    > about! As indicated in our Roadshow, we do listen and this is a request that
    > has come up frequently.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > > Sent: Friday, November 19, 2004 2:26 PM
    > To: Peter Skillman
    > Subject: Some people-based gentle suggestions on dealing with memory
    > problem on Treo 650
    > Importance: High
    >
    >
    >
  18.    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by jasparks
    What's even more unbelievable is that not a soul who reviewed this phone(including Mr. Mossburg) caught this....did no one attempt to sync there contacts as part of their review? Seems a little strange, that's all.
    As I speculated in an earlier thread, I think the problem is in the type of people that they give the thing to test to and how long they have it to test.

They need to give the phone to real users (not just upper level sprint execs) who will get to keep the thing permenantly if they want it. That way folks will transfer contact lists and load the apps they would want to keep on a phone and they need to have enough time with it (as opposed to some of the reviewers who had it for a few hours or a day) to start cluttering up the thing with apps, and photos and the like.

P.S. Many of the Sprint Execs I know (and I know a few) wouldnt know how to use the capabilities of the 650 if their life depended on it.
    Instead of burrying the poor guy in additional emails, might I suggest a well concieved letter explaining our concern, paired with some sort of digital petition we can send him -- don't you all think a list of a few thousand names from TreoCentral (and other online communities) might grab some attention at P1?

If we can rally around the creation of a Bluetooth driver for the 600; can't we make ourselves heard here too?
  20.    #40  
    Well, it looks like after the first couple of emails, he has started to use a form reply. Can't say that I blame him, but I do hope he can get somebody some hard answers soon.

Quote Originally Posted by ideawizard2
    Here is his reply to me, then I asked him the hard questions that are really on everyones mind...

Thank you. I appreciate your prompt reply Peter.

We all want to support Palm 1 in anyway we can.

Are some decision-makers looking into a solution?

What immediate remedy can Treo 650 owners expect, what will it entail,
    and when can they count on it?

Respectfully,

iZ

> Thanks XXX,
    >
    > We appreciate your comments and I can attest from the 20 emails I received in
    > the last few minutes that this is indeed something the community is passionate
    > about! As indicated in our Roadshow, we do listen and this is a request that
    > has come up frequently.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > > Sent: Friday, November 19, 2004 2:26 PM
    > To: Peter Skillman
    > Subject: Some people-based gentle suggestions on dealing with memory
    > problem on Treo 650
    > Importance: High
    >
    >
    >
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast