Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast
    Their stock took a big plunge today, down about 7%. Many out there called me some interesting names for requesting/demanding a public statement from PalmOne by yesterday PM. Obviously, that didn't happen. I begin to agree with those who say P1 won't do anything about this. I promised that I would not buy another P1 product if there was no response and I will keep that promise. I am no longer a P1 customer. I will nurse my T600 as long as I can, and hopefully there will be another option when it dies. Perhaps the PPC 6601, perhaps something else entirely. PalmOne has not earned my loyalty or my business, and it will not get either one. I'm sure they don't care in the least. Maybe when the Millionth customer bails in the same manner, they will wake up and smell the coffee.
    http://www.doctordalai.com
    Quote Originally Posted by sleibow
    How much time do they need to acknowledge a problem? 2 weeks 3 weeks 4 weeks!!

Why? the problem exsists, everyone knows it. Just an acknowledgement and that they are working on a solution of some sort would go a long way. Their silence concerns me
    They've already acknowledged the problem and said they were going to look into it.
    Quote Originally Posted by RWerksman
    It doesnt matter how long it's been out, that wasn't my point.

Based on past experiance, it is my opinion (all $0.02 of it) that PalmOne will actively ignore this issue.
    Ignorance is Bliss. And Palm1one will continue to be blissfill as all the other OS start to gain ground, they have once again "Shot themselves in the foot"
    No disrespect here..but you don't have any understanding of the technical or financial hurdles that have to be overcome to fix this...so how could YOU even set a date for their response? They said they will respond. For now you have to take that at face value. Large companies can't always turn on a dime and make sweeping changes in 3 or 4 days.
    Quote Originally Posted by treo-mike
    No disrespect here..but you don't have any understanding of the technical or financial hurdles that have to be overcome to fix this...so how could YOU even set a date for their response? They said they will respond. For now you have to take that at face value. Large companies can't always turn on a dime and make sweeping changes in 3 or 4 days.
    Who is this going toward? Me?
    No disrespect here either, but to gain goodwill, they needed to IMMEDIATELY make a public statement, not sit huddled with their lawyers for a month trying to figure a way out of doing what they know they should be doing. Reminds me somewhat of the old Ford Pinto... The suits knew that there was a defect that could lead to an explosion if the car was rear-ended. The suits decided that it was cheaper to pay off 50-100 wrongful death claims than to fix the cars at $5 each. Yes, yes, I know this is just a phone and not a life or death proposition, but doing the right thing is doing the right thing, and PalmOne is NOT.
    Is less than 700 employees considered a large company?
    How much time do they need to acknowledge a problem? 2 weeks 3 weeks 4 weeks!!

Why? the problem exsists, everyone knows it. Just an acknowledgement and that they are working on a solution of some sort would go a long way. Their silence concerns me
    what on earth are you talking about? they acknowledged the problem the day the treo 650 hit the street! they said they are working on a solution!
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    <a href=http://www.anastrophe.com>www.anastrophe.com</a>
    It doesnt matter how long it's been out, that wasn't my point.

Based on past experiance, it is my opinion (all $0.02 of it) that PalmOne will actively ignore this issue.
    they have already acknowledged the issue, and stated they are working on it. whether you choose to believe that is another matter.
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    Quote Originally Posted by anastrophe
    they have already acknowledged the issue, and stated they are working on it. whether you choose to believe that is another matter.
    Do you think they deserve enough goodwill in this area for the word of a developer to be proof of an upcoming fix?

Is that fix going to be a total fix, correcting the issue completely?

I'm about 95% sure I dont. I'm 100% certain that I would not purchase the phone based upon a future enhancement or fix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalai Lama
    No disrespect here either, but to gain goodwill, they needed to IMMEDIATELY make a public statement, not sit huddled with their lawyers for a month trying to figure a way out of doing what they know they should be doing. Reminds me somewhat of the old Ford Pinto... The suits knew that there was a defect that could lead to an explosion if the car was rear-ended. The suits decided that it was cheaper to pay off 50-100 wrongful death claims than to fix the cars at $5 each. Yes, yes, I know this is just a phone and not a life or death proposition, but doing the right thing is doing the right thing, and PalmOne is NOT.
    no hyperbole to that argument, gee. comparing a defect that caused deaths to a defect that causes, well, geeks to get their panties in a bunch. nice.
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    Do you think they deserve enough goodwill in this area for the word of a developer to be proof of an upcoming fix?

Is that fix going to be a total fix, correcting the issue completely?

I'm about 95% sure I dont. I'm 100% certain that I would not purchase the phone based upon a future enhancement or fix.
    whatever. i own a 650. i love it. i have no problems with it. your mileage may vary.
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    anastrophe

We did you hear "They are working on the problem"

Please send me the link, if I can see that in writing I'll keep the 650!!!
    anastrophe

We did you hear "They are working on the problem"

Please send me the link, if I can see that in writing I'll keep the 650!!!
    Read this first page of the thread.

Someone posted an email that he or she said was from Peter Skillman, a PalmOne developer.

It's not referring to a "fix" but rather it being "addressed."
    Read this first page of the thread.

Someone posted an email that he or she said was from Peter Skillman, a PalmOne developer.

It's not referring to a "fix" but rather it being "addressed."
    A Palmone developer is not the decision maker . Get real!!!!

When an official notice comes from mangement I'll rest easy, until then I am PISSED!!!
    no hyperbole to that argument, gee. comparing a defect that caused deaths to a defect that causes, well, geeks to get their panties in a bunch. nice.
    Whilst I may be a geek, I don't wear panties...

The point was to compare the decision processes. Sorry that wasn't clear to you. These are two examples of companies making decisions based solely on the immediate cost of the fix of the defect, and NOT considering the long term impact of customer's goodwill or the lack thereof.

I'm glad you like your T650. Why do you not support PalmOne making it what it should be?
    let's see....the treo 650 has been on the street for....seven days....yeah, it's all over. they've buried the problem, we'll never hear another thing about it. i mean, good god, it's been a WHOLE WEEK and we don't have our new treo 650 rev B units in hand yet!
    You are kidding, right? You do not really expect them to respond, do you? They have consistently ignored everything posted here. Why should this be different? Is there a difference that I am missing?

The implication of all the posts is that they cannot fix it, that the best that they can do is admit that they made a mistake. From their point of view, is that better than toughing it out?
    There was a post in another thread of an email directly from Peter Stillman (sp?) stating that they were going to "fix it".

I don't perceive anything devious or underhanded here at all, just a dumb feature decision and bad communication internally about the new memory technology. The device has the features advertised, and it works well (judging from early reports here). The fact that they haven't yet responded to the bad consumer reaction to the limited memory isn't surprising at all. In addition to internal discussions, they need to coordinate any potential solutions with the carriers and retailers, since they have current shipping expectations, and would be responsible for managing any changes in the product options (like a new "pro" version with more memory, or a refurb option on existing devices).

I'm still buying a 650 - it's the best option out there at the moment, at least for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalai Lama
    The point was to compare the decision processes. Sorry that wasn't clear to you. These are two examples of companies making decisions based solely on the immediate cost of the fix of the defect, and NOT considering the long term impact of customer's goodwill or the lack thereof.
    The error in your logic is in categorizing the memory issue as a "defect". It's not. The memory works as it's technically meant to work, and as it was documented in several technical articles posted on the web before the 650 was released.

palmOne made a dumb feature decision (not upping the memory), and failed to communicate the impact of the new filesystem on memory management in a public way.

I don't think you have any information on palmOne's decision process, so coming to the conclusion that they are ignoring consumer goodwill and basing their decision solely on costs is speculative at best. Wait until they reveal their response to the issue, then make a judgement.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimf
    There was a post in another thread of an email directly from Peter Stillman (sp?) stating that they were going to "fix it".

I don't perceive anything devious or underhanded here at all, just a dumb feature decision and bad communication internally about the new memory technology. The device has the features advertised, and it works well (judging from early reports here). The fact that they haven't yet responded to the bad consumer reaction to the limited memory isn't surprising at all. In addition to internal discussions, they need to coordinate any potential solutions with the carriers and retailers, since they have current shipping expectations, and would be responsible for managing any changes in the product options (like a new "pro" version with more memory, or a refurb option on existing devices).

I'm still buying a 650 - it's the best option out there at the moment, at least for me.
    I agree that there is no reason to attribute to malice what can easily be explained by stupidity.
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast