1.    #1  
    I have two hotmail accounts, one paid, one free. I use the mobile account to get my mail and it works fine for the paid account but can't get to my free email account.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Versamail does not fetch the web based email accounts.
    Are you saying that you can download mail to your T650 with Versamail from your paid Hotmail account? What service level do you pay for with Hotmail? I paid for the premium something or other, but have not been able to access my hotmail account with anything else than the webmail protocol (browser, OE or Outlook 2002/2003).
    Quote Originally Posted by maryann
    I have two hotmail accounts, one paid, one free. I use the mobile account to get my mail and it works fine for the paid account but can't get to my free email account.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Versamail does not fetch the web based email accounts.
    It has to do with POP forwarding. Unless you pay, you wont get the second one, same with yahoo and others.
    Eric
    Hotmail just discontinued any access for its free accounts via anything but the website.. no outlook no anything.. they just did this last week or so.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by awesterink
    Are you saying that you can download mail to your T650 with Versamail from your paid Hotmail account? What service level do you pay for with Hotmail? I paid for the premium something or other, but have not been able to access my hotmail account with anything else than the webmail protocol (browser, OE or Outlook 2002/2003).
    No, I can't use Versamail. I use that Hotmail Mobile:

http://mobile.msn.com/hm/folder.aspx

I think I pay $20 or so for the paid Hotmail account yearly. The other Hotmail account I have is free but can't access it on my Treo 650??
    No, I can't use Versamail. I use that Hotmail Mobile:

http://mobile.msn.com/hm/folder.aspx

I think I pay $20 or so for the paid Hotmail account yearly. The other Hotmail account I have is free but can't access it on my Treo 650??
    Ah, thx for the clarification. I pay the $20 as well and can indeed access my HM via that web address. No experience with trying to access a free account, sorry...
  7.    #7  
    Thanks everyone for the quick replies. Got the 650 last evening and have hardly got any sleep trying to figure out everything with this phone. Previously I had the Samsung i500.
    I am certain that it is the POP forwarding. They don't allow it with the freebies. Kind of like yahoo wont let you forward email with attachments even from your web account (on actual PC browser).
    Eric
    web-based Email ... Sprint -

I have a web-based Email account taht I can read with my treo 300, however I cannot send mail - the submit buttons do nothing, I assumed Sprint turned off the ability to send so that I would have to pay or a $5/month wireless Email plan

Others have this problem? I have the old $10/unlmited Vision plan
    Hotmail does NOT offer any pop3/IMAP for it's email service, even if you pay for the premium account (which imo is a totaly waste of money). M$ uses a protocol called HTTPmail for Hotmail which only allows web based access to hotmail. The only way around this is to use a email client that support HTTPmail. On palmos, the options include an app called ONEMail...

Another free option on the Treo 650 is to do the following:
    -setup you pop account to download your hotmail inbox (fastmail support httpmail forwarding)
    -setup versmail to download your free fastmail account via IMAP.

This way you can receive hotmail via versmail on your Treo 650 for free...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Hotmail does NOT offer any pop3/IMAP for it's email service, even if you pay for the premium account (which imo is a totaly waste of money). M$ uses a protocol called HTTPmail for Hotmail which only allows web based access to hotmail. The only way around this is to use a email client that support HTTPmail. On palmos, the options include an app called ONEMail...

Another free option on the Treo 650 is to do the following:
    -setup you pop account to download your hotmail inbox (fastmail support httpmail forwarding)
    -setup versmail to download your free fastmail account via IMAP.

This way you can receive hotmail via versmail on your Treo 650 for free...
    A big Thank You for this link to fastmail. I did set up the free account and it worked perfect except I got an email from Fastmail saying that I just used their POP service and it is not provided at your membership level. In other words, I have to upgrade to use the POP service.

This is still fine with me. I hope it is the one time 15.00 charge. Got to do some more checking on the different levels available.

Again THANK YOU.
    http://www.emotipad.com/newemoticons/Bow.gif
    A big Thank You for this link to fastmail. I did set up the free account and it worked perfect except I got an email from Fastmail saying that I just used their POP service and it is not provided at your membership level. In other words, I have to upgrade to use the POP service.

This is still fine with me. I hope it is the one time 15.00 charge. Got to do some more checking on the different levels available.

Again THANK YOU.
    MaryAnn, do you have the latest version of Versamail? If so it should support IMAP which means that you DO NOT HAVE TO PAY FOR POP3 service!! Just setup your versmail client to download you fastmail inbox via IMAP:

The IMAP setting should be the following:

IMAP Server: mail.messagingengine.com
    username : username@fastmail.fm
    password

SMTP Server: mail.messagingengine.com
    username: username@fastmail.fm
    password

Fastmail offers smtp service for a one time $14.95 charge for life. However, you could just use the smtp servers provided by your wireless provider or ISP and not pay this at all...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions

Again THANK YOU.
    I also use fastmail.fm and I highly recommend it, but there are some things you should be aware of if you are trying to access your free hotmail account. The biggest one that I can think of (and someone already mentioned this) is that hotmail is now doing away with the path that fastmail used to take to access it. That means that sooner or later your free hotmail account won't be able to be used with fastmail (pop) or most other services like it. I have 2 hotmail accounts (free) and fastmail can still pop one of them, but hotmail has stopped access to the other.

I am thinking that I am just going to start using google mail(free pop access and mail fwd) for the stuff that I used to use my free hotmail account for.
  14.    #14  
    Hmmm, didn't know that IMAP was an option until I went into the advanced option via Versamail. Got it all changed now.

I was all set to check my email accounts but now Vision is not working and has not been for some time now. On hold with Sprint again today.

Thanks so much for all your help.
    anyone checked the 650 with gmail?
    Hotmail sucks if u have a Treo 650. I switched to Fastmail.fm a few weeks ago, IMAP is really the better way to go with a Treo, as the mail on your computer and Treo will be synchronized without hotsyncing. I'm currently using it with VersaMail. Regarding GMail, I believe SnapperMail should be supporting it soon if not yet.