Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Donahue
    I have used Companion Link Pro for years ... Yes there are limits but I have 4000 contacts on my Treo 600.
    Using the evaluation of CL Pro:
    OK, am I expecting too much or is the data mapping reliable for you and I am just using it wrong? I have two primary addresses in my Act database: primary and mailing. Trying to map these to Home and Other on the palm desktop blows up because it wants to map Mailing Addr1->Work Addr1 on the palm with the other mailing fields (city, state, zip) properly sent to Other on the palm. It simply won't leave Work Address1 blank no matter how I set the field mapping in CL setup and Other is now incomplete.

Phone mapping appears to randomly double enter Main even if I try to leave that Palm field unmapped. The worst thing about it is that it is not consistant. Some (few) records appear to map phone fields correctly.

I am currently experimenting with this as "Act is master" mode, I can only assume that if I tried to actually sync records my Act DB would be mangled in short order.
  2. crp
    Quote Originally Posted by colorchange
    CRP

Can you enter todo's and meetings and have it resynch to ACT!?
    Colorchange:

Yes, you can setup either of the Companionlink apps (Companionlink or Doublelook) to sync both ways. It all depends on the setup that you decide when first installing the app (which you can run at any time by double-clicking on the system tray icon). Given the way I use my Tablet & Treo, I have the Hotsync Mananger configured for "Desktop Overwrites Handheld" and, since Doublelook doesn't actually see the Palm Desktop (rather, Doublelook sync's Act! and Outlook), I also have Doublelook configured so that "Act! overwrite Outlook".

It's not a confusing as it sounds: remember that Doublelook runs in the background and sync's any changes between Act! & Outlook automatically. The data gets sync'd to the Treo whenever you perform a Hotsync.

HTH,
    crp
    Sprint Treo 755p, 650. Before that: Treo 600, 300, Pilot & Palm Pilot.
    I've been using ACT (V6.0) and successfully linking to my TREO 300 with ACT Link 2.0 conduits.

ACT LINK 2.0 does not seem to work with my new TREO 650. Has anyone been successful in synching ACT 6.0 with the TREO 650? How did you do it?

Thanks
    There is nothing that will work well, but you can get by with a 3rd party sync. Don't plan on liking it, though.

On the bright side for me...Act's lack of response has led me to investigate alternatives. Even though it doesn't really relate to Palm syncing I must say the Goldmine make Act look like a dog-eared day runner. I am making the switch as soon as I can get my data and templates, etc. set up on GM.

Do yourself a favor and check out the evaluation version of GM. Still have to get a 3rd party sync to make it work, though.
    Yes it is easy to link Act 6 with the 650. I first had a problem when installed but you have to go into Hot Sync and disable the conduit that was installed for contacts, todo, calendar, and enable the ACT conduits.

Click on Hot Sync and then the custom tab and make sure the conduits are correct for what you want.
    As a long time ACT! user (10 Years) and longtime Pocket PC user, I instilled Palm for Act! trial and synced my 5,000*+ contacts. The 650 looped and looped in the 'startup' mode as my database filled up my Trio. I guess I will have to remove the'Conduits' and see how it goes. We have Act 7.0, but am afraid to install it on everyone computers at work because it sucks. I could live with oneway sync for now.
    How can I install Act! on my storage card and still receive updates via HotSync??
    Question...

I very badly need my 650 to work with my Act! database, I need to be able to id calls and make calls quickly, and have heard Rocketjoe and a few others say that the Act Link 2.0 might just do the trick.
    BUT...
    yes, i do have Act Link 2.0, and it did work on my Treo 300 perfectly, but I don't seem to be able to make my desk top transfer the info over to my 650. Anyone have any ideas as to how to make this happen? I am stumped, I am sure I am making all the right selections on the program.
    Is there something I have to load onto my 650 (as an added program) to accept the information and make the Act Link transfer the info?

Please help!

Desperate Kat!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderkat
    Question...

I very badly need my 650 to work with my Act! database, I need to be able to id calls and make calls quickly, and have heard Rocketjoe and a few others say that the Act Link 2.0 might just do the trick.
    BUT...
    yes, i do have Act Link 2.0, and it did work on my Treo 300 perfectly, but I don't seem to be able to make my desk top transfer the info over to my 650. Anyone have any ideas as to how to make this happen? I am stumped, I am sure I am making all the right selections on the program.
    Is there something I have to load onto my 650 (as an added program) to accept the information and make the Act Link transfer the info?

Please help!

Desperate Kat!
    Check your conduit settings-- the hot sync manager is a bit different then it was at least for my m505, possibly different from your 300 as well. Make sure that ACT contacts are selected as 'desktop overwrites handheld' and Contacts (or whatever its called- the Palm contact) is set to 'do nothing'.

I'm using ACT 6 and Act Link 2.0, and contact data sychs (one-way) perfectly.
    Any news on ACT and the 650 yet??? For an "Upgrade", the 650 sure some areas where it seems to be more like a downgrade...

Getting ACT to work on the 650 is crucial. Any new info on making it work???

Thanks
    650 and ACT problems!!! It did sync from desktop to the 650... BUT, I can't do anything with the data on the 650 or add to it.. Everytime I "tap" on a contact in ACT, my 650 just resets itself... REALLY BAD NEWS!!!

Any ideas on how to make ACT work (and sync 2-way) on the 650??? It worked great on the 600...
    I used to use Goldmine and it was great.

Switched to ACT and I have no choice.... I HAVE to stick with it.

Have you learned ANY alternatives as to how to make ACT work with the 650 and sync 2-ways????

Thanks a lot!!!!
    The Act for Palm will not work on the 650. The Act link will only sync one way and is very limited. If you want a better alternative check out "Companion Link". They will be releasing an update in early January to further improve it. It allows users to access both ACT and Outlook info and keeps them separate. I myself am waiting until either the 650 GSM version or BenQ P50 is out before I make the leap(I am currently using a t600 with Act for palm installed on it and Act 6.0 on my desktop). I was told that you can download a trial version of Companion Link that will work just as the purchased version would (but only for a few days until you actually purchase it). I strongly suggest you call their 800 number and ask them questions. I did and was very impressed with what they told me. I have made up my mind to use their software. By the way, I believe it works on both Palm and Pocket PC's. I hope this helps.
    Did you sync to a 650 or 600???

I am having real trouble getting my 650 to work. Please let me know if you have any ideas on how to get the 650 to work with ACT. It WILL sync the contacts over to the 650... but then as soon as I try and use it, the 650 resets and it WONT work...

Is there a way to make it work AND sync both ways???

Thanks for ANY help....
    If you want to be able to sync your Act info to your 650 both ways and be able to USE it on your 650 I suggest going to www.companionlink.com and checking out what they have. I currently use a treo 600 with Act for Palm installed on it so I'm able to use my outlook for my native calendar and contacts in my phone but I also have my entire Act database and Act calendar in it's own program on my phone, in Act for Palm. I bought a t650 they first hour they were available from a Treo store here in San Jose, CA and could not get Act to work on it. I could install it and see it but as soon as I tried to use it the phone would crash. I called Act to see if it was a software issue and it was. Act does not intend to update Act for palm for the new 650, so it was the palm link or nothing. Well, I wasn't that satisfied with Sprints service or the 650 for that matter(poor sound while on bluetooth headset calls, memory issues, crashing and such) so I returned the 650 and went back to using my trusty 600. I hope when the 650 comes out for GSM it will be better than the current one, or I'll just get a BenQ P50(which is what I've really been waiting for anyway). I really don't have a preference in OS's. I just want something that offers and does everything I want it to do. I use Act for my work calendar and contacts and Outlook for my personal and home operated business contacts and calendar and I cannot really afford to mix the two together or be forced to choose which of the two I will have on my handheld. After reading about Companionlink and calling them to talk to them about their products(didn't want to take the risk of wasting money or time) I believe it will do what I and most everyone has been looking for a product to do. I personally haven't tried it yet because I have my current set up does what I need it to do but I am looking to upgrade my handheld soon and wanted to make sure I would be able to have a similar set up to what I currently use. The Act to Palm link only allows you to "port" your Act info into your Treo's native calendar and contact programs. It will not allow you to also sync with Outlook simultaneously. That is why I purchased the Act for Palm software as to not lose full functionality of my handheld, databases and the like. This need is what prompted me to search for an alternative to my current set up so I could upgrade my handheld in the future. Sorry if this is kind of a long explanation of sorts, I try to be as thorough as possible when it comes to these things and I don't like my time wasted so I try not to waste others. Cheers!
  15. hub
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasB
    Did you sync to a 650 or 600???

I am having real trouble getting my 650 to work. Please let me know if you have any ideas on how to get the 650 to work with ACT. It WILL sync the contacts over to the 650... but then as soon as I try and use it, the 650 resets and it WONT work...

Is there a way to make it work AND sync both ways???

Thanks for ANY help....
    The long and short of it is this - Act for Palm does not work with the 650. It takes over some of the buttons on the 650, including the green phone button, which you cannot switch back. If you try to add a to-do or go back to the main Act menu after looking at a note it resets the phone. There is no way to fix it unless Act updates Act for palm which it appears they are not going to do.

If you use Act Link you can get it to work but it is one-way and eliminates syncing with Outlook. So, you have to decide if you want Act OR Outlook, not both. I sent Act for Palm back for a refund. I am hoping that CompanionLink will be the answer.

Act seems to be interested only in getting people to buy Act 2005. I have received at least a dozen mail pieces and emails trying to get me to upgrade. Everyone I have talked to who upgraded to Act 2005 says it is a piece of c**p. When Best Software bought back Act from Symantec I thought there might be some improvements - obviously I was wrong - it's worse.

In retrospect I guess this was not the long and short on this subject - just the long.
    I started a thread on 1/3/05 with this info. Thought it would be a good idea to include it here:

OK, first some disclaimers: 1) I'm not employed by any software/hardware companies - I'm a real estate property manager; 2) we just recently upgraded to ACT 2005 (yes, it has bugs!); I did not do the actual sync, but watched 1 of the guys in our office do it.

Overview of his operation: 1) He first synced 3,800 contacts to his TREO 650, took about 8 minutes; all 3,800 showed up in his TREO; 2) using his TREO he added a new contact and a calendar appointment and did another sync; both the new contact an appointment showed up in his desktop computer; 3) he turned off his TREO, then turned it back on; 4) had to reboot the desktop to get back to working condition.

Completed the above steps using a BETA version of CompanionLink he downloaded to his desktop this morning. I guess there is a 2-week free trial, then the cost is $50.00.

I'm not saying this is the perfect solution, but it appears to offer a possible solution to the frustration of not being able to sync ACT 2005 to the TREO 650, not to mention a 2-way sync!

Check it out on the CompanionLink webpage and see if you get the same results.

Good luck, Craig
    I must say, IMHO, there is no way I am waiting for Best Software to put out a half-baked solution to the Palm sync issue. I am trying out CompanionLink right now, and after a very helpful call into tech support, I am able to enjoy a fully functional two-way sync with my 650. I change anything on the 650 (title, phone number, nickname, etc....) and hit HotSync...walla it is changed in Act.....AHHhhh, worth the 50.00 and I will be paying as soon as my demo runs out.

50.00 is a lot for an app, but you are in a meeting and need an updated phone number or change a number it is worth it. It saved me twice already on calls.

Hope ya'll figure it out , I for one would rather trust CompanionLink than whatever Best decides to put out.
    Let ACT know now that you are interested via http://act.com/products/other/palm/notify
    and also call Customer Service asking for details on when they will have an update for the Treo 650 Palm OS v5.4 ****CALL- 877-386-8083 ****
    I'm going to list the GOOD stuff here...

I am currently using Act for Palm and the 650. I sync only one way, desktop over writes palm.

I need to have some of my client info and history while on the road.

If you use the Act for Palm upgrade for telephony you wont have the button problem... I dont modify my contacts while on the road so the Act for Palm is working for me. I have 950 contacts and I can view almost all of the info from ACT, and I can dial a contact's # from Act for Palm as well.

I guess I'm having good results with my (crippled) instalation. However, if I wanted FULL Act functionality while on the road I'd just carry a laptop...

It sure would be nice to have it run like it did on my 600... Perhaps once ACT is done with all the technical difficulties in the most resent desk-top release they'll put the power to palm and CE again...

Scott
    Quote Originally Posted by kloepple
    Let ACT know now that you are interested via http://act.com/products/other/palm/notify
    and also call Customer Service asking for details on when they will have an update for the Treo 650 Palm OS v5.4 ****CALL- 877-386-8083 ****
    I've never wanted to D-Filter someone before on this forum, but you just made the grade.
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast