Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    I have never had a single response from anyone at ACT! regarding feature requests, bug reports, etc. Perhaps they don't actually have a plan to update it and just don't want us jumping ship yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by rouxdoo
    I have never had a single response from anyone at ACT! regarding feature requests, bug reports, etc. Perhaps they don't actually have a plan to update it and just don't want us jumping ship yet?
    Clifford Roberts wrote to me inregards to the Treo 650:

"I am reviewing comments from both QA and Dev. Since I have not heard yet, my guess would be that the OS on the device is different. I am waiting to hear if we have tested this device and/or if it is supported."

That was in respose to the Email I posted a few posts ago.

Scarry huh? "my guess would be that the OS on the device is different"

What can I say... he didn't answer my questions, and he clearly does not know about the TREO 650!!

Which brings to mind that I have talked to at least 5 different people at Act and I have yet to find someone that really knew about the Treo 600 or 650.

The knowledge base FAQ for Act for Palm has nothing, and the disscussion group for Act for Palm has little interaction. What little interaction there is is mostly by a Paul Carter who supposedly works for Act. He does nothing but post previously written Act documents which usually do not answer the question at hand.

It appears to me that those of us that are still on Act 6.0 and Act for Palm with Treo 600's (thankyou verizon) are OK for now, and the rest of us are greened, nailed, and painted. (did I get the color wrong?)

I know of nothing to do but just keep bugging them until someone reacts.

Can anyone find more email addresses than mr. Roberts? This is the only phone # i have and it asks for an extension which I do not have. The phone for Act in Arizona is 866.421.7747 plus extension. Maybe some one can get through.

Curt
    Curt

StarTAC ST7868W w/ Motorola StarTAC Clipon Organizer; Treo 600; Treo 700P; Palm Pre Plus all on Verizon
    Well yesterday I sent two emails to Roberts.
    Today, I filled out the following request for a feature on there site.
    I wrote: "We have written emails to Clifford Roberts, sent request for features, posted on the discussion groups, posted and discussed with other 10 to 15 other users on Treocentral.com Treo650/Act for palm, which for reference has been viewed by over 1,200 people, and we still can not get any answers as to IF, WHEN, and HOW Best Software/Act is going to address the functioning of Act for Palm with the Treo 600 and the Treo 650 Smart phones.
    We have been asking for a year about the 600 as these phones have been out for a year (600) and not one hint as too if and when support might come for these phones.
    It is a shame that what basically is a great program is going down the proverbial creek with out a paddle.
    Act for palm does not work with the 650 and works but without the new 5 way navigation button integration and no integration with third party email programs and no caller ID.
    Please post an answer somewhere as to the intentions of the corporation with regards to support for this device (Treo 600 & Treo 650).
    Check out what some 1,200 people have read about users feeling regarding the lack of support from Act. You can go to treocentral.com and search for Act and particularly Act on the 650.
    Paul Carter posts on the Act discussion site that Act for Palm has not been tested. and we are thinking........ a duh really..? that does not answer our question as to whether or not you are going to issue a fix and when.
    Curt Armbruster
    Please let us know you intentions. "

Curt
    Any body else have any luck with the emails or phone?
    Curt

StarTAC ST7868W w/ Motorola StarTAC Clipon Organizer; Treo 600; Treo 700P; Palm Pre Plus all on Verizon
    I had to deal with ACT when I used the Newest version called ACT 7.

I sent it back because it was horrible.

During that period I got this contact person which you all may find beneficial to contact.

Lets try to get some answers out of him!!!

Tijerina, Joshua <Joshua.Tijerina@bestsoftware.com>

Joshua Tijerina
    ACT! PDA Product Lead
    Customer Support Analyst
    ACT! Service & Support
    Best Software, Small Business Division
    Visit www.bestsoftware.com <http://www.bestsoftware.com/> for more
    information about our company and products.
  5. hub
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    I just emailed Joshua Tijerina. Let's see if I hear anything back. Clifford Roberts has not responded to my earlier emails.
    I also sent an email to Joshua.

It doesn't look like many others are joining in to help.

Curt
    Curt

I am being as obnoxious as I can, but realistically it does not appear that they ever respond with something other than a "Knowldge Base" quote.
    I emailed Cliff and Josh from ACT today, I agree, we need to get some momentum and the best way to do that is to get everybody to email them. They need to understand that this is a problem. I work for a software company and sometimes the only impetus for change is a large amount of customers stating their case.

So, let's not be whiny and unruly, just state what you want and kill them with kindness. If that doesn't work, we'll creat a riot in Norcross
    I returned my 650 because I couldn't add any appts/calls/to do's and so on. I posted in error waaaaay earlier in this thread that mine was working. I was able to transfer everything over but soon realized that's all I could do. Not good enough for me. So I called ACT. What they said is that they are currently working on an update or new version of Act for Palm and did not know when it would be out but that it is more than likely going to be aimed in the direction of working with Act 2005 and (maybe not Act 6). The person I spoke with was only so knowledgeable when it came to this line of questioning. So, for me, it's back to my T600 (w/Jabra B210 bluetooth adaptor and SE headset) and the low res screen again Oh well, what can a person do. At least it works and I can still use it to make money. Maybe I'll wait until the BenQ P50 comes out (already have one on order) or the MPX and just use the sync link Who knows, maybe Act and Palm1 will get off their butts and make this stuff work like it's supposed to. (By the way, on a side note, when I was using my 650 with a bluetooth headset the sound was TERRIBLE. I could hardly hear the person I was talking to). My current set up (albeit cumbersome) blows away the 650 in performance. I hope P1 does something about that. To my disappointment, when I returned my 650 I talked to one of P1's higher ups (at the store that day, again, (was there opening day when I bought it, within 2 hours of opening!) and he said he doesn't even use a bluetooth headset I was shocked. So, no feedback from him. What's a guy to do?
    Thank braincell, at least I know it's not just my 650. Act is really blowing there product. I sent a big e-mail as well and got no reply - yet. (yea I'm holding my breath)
  11. hub
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    I just received a reply from Josh Tijerina. Here it is - read it and weep:

I have received your email and I would like to apologize for the issues you have been having. Unfortunately the Treo 650 is not a supported palm and the reason is to do with the operating system. The Treo 650 has a new operation system version 5.4 it also comes with a new version of the palm desktop and the hotsync manager. Act for palm os 1.0.1 for act 6.0 hasn't been tested on a Treo 650 or a Tungsten T5 and is not supported. The Treo 650 has just been released and act for palm os 1.0.1 has been out for over a year. Older software is not going to always work on newer hardware. I do believe act link 2.0 will work on the Treo 650. When act for palm os is release for act 2005 it should support the Treo 650, but I don't think act for palm os 1.0.1 for 2005 will be updated since it's at the end of it's life cycle. We do have a knowledge base documents that has been posted on our website about the issue. I recommend to wait about 6 months before buying a new device when it just comes out if you want to use third party software on it, because it takes some time for software companies to test the device and make sure it will work with their software.

Title : Does ACT! for Palm OS support Palm OS 5.4?

Document ID : 2004118123158

Web URL : http://itdomino.act.com/act.nsf/docid/2004118123158

Joshua Tijerina
    ACT! PDA Product Lead
    Customer Support Analyst
    ACT! Service & Support
    Best Software, Small Business Division
    Visit www.bestsoftware.com for more information about our company and products.

I am now trying to get my $40 back for the Act for Palm I bought last week.
    Hub:

More unknowledgable BS from ACT!

The Treo 600 has been out for a year and the five way navigation button is not supported by Act for Palm.

The simulator for the Treo 650 has been available to Best software for months. And they have not tested.

How come all these other programs either work or have versions available?

It sounds like Act and Best Software are not pursueing the mobile business any more.

Act Link does not support two way sync of things like histories and notes and so that is not an option.

Which of the other companies support two way sync of fields like notes, histories, and calendar?

Beyond Contacts? Goldmine? Agendus? Outlook?

I guess I have to start looking as we will want to go to the 650 when it is available on VerizonWireless.

At least however, we got an answer although somewhat uninformed it is a clear indication that they are not truely in the mobile business.

I also am going to check with my 20 or so rep agencies that use Act. I have never surveyed them about the Treo and what they use in addition to Act. It has been convenient over the years to transfer contact information between agencies so we will make an effort to stay coordinated with them.

Thanks for sharing the bad news.

Curt
    Curt

HUb;

Paul Carter just responded on their web site with the following:

"Hello Curtis,

Development is testing the new Palm OS with the different ACT!
    interfaces.

As to when an update will be out that supports this new OS, I have no
    set date for that. Also I do not have a list of the products that
    will be updated.

Checking Our update page from time to time and the Press releases on
    our site will be the best way to know when something has been
    released.
    Thank you for your inquiry.
    Paul Carter "

He said developement is testing............... to me that means that the program is written and they are debugging.

If in fact that is the case, the Treo 650 Act for Palm could be just around the corner.!!

For me it might be good news, because as slow as Act (the company) is, they probably will beat VerizonWireless. I will not order a 650 until I can use it on VerizonWireless.

Paul Carter responded on the Act web site Act for Palm disscussion area.

Curt
    Curt

14. hub
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    I took Josh Tijerina's advice and removed Act for Palm and installed Act Link 2.0. It works fine but (there's always a but), now I can no longer sync anything out of Outlook unless I move all my outlook contacts into Act. I just got off the phone with Ryan in tech service and he verified that the Palm OS only allows sync into Calendar and Contacts from one database. So, now I have three options:

1. Just have Act info in my 650
    2. Just have Outlook info in my 650
    3. Merge Outlook into Act, thus combining personal contacts with business contacts.

Needless to say, none of these options are very good.

I guess I can just hope that Paul Carter is saying what I hope he is saying and a fix is coming.

Curtarmy, I have been looking for the Act for Palm discussion group you mention but have not been able to find it. Could you post some instructions on how to find it? That would be great.
    Quote Originally Posted by hub
    I have been looking for the Act for Palm discussion group you mention but have not been able to find it. Could you post some instructions on how to find it? That would be great.

http://webx.act.com/

Scroll to bottom of page to log on or click for guest access.
    I had been using Act since version 2, and I have to say that they never really supported Palm OS, and never really improved their product, whether Best owned them, or Symantec or the original owners. Version after version would come out that solved one problem and created 10 others. This last Act 2005 fiasco is it for me. I'll use a no. 2 pencil and canary legal pad before I ever install any of their products on any machine.

As to alternatives, I'm trying Beyond Contacts, and it seems to work well on the 650, so far, though the records are memory hogs. At least the email program allows me to sync messages with Outlook 2000 server via Mergic VPN.

I wish I had never heard of Act! So promising on paper, such a letdown in real life. As to Best Software, they want Act to be a cash cow and spend NOTHING on improving the program or customer experience. When Photoshop CS loads faster than your contact manager (by far), you know you've got serious problems (Act 2005).

Not only that, the condescending tone from their PDA guy really sux.
    Quote Originally Posted by hub
    [B
    Curtarmy[/B], I have been looking for the Act for Palm discussion group you mention but have not been able to find it. Could you post some instructions on how to find it? That would be great.
    Hub

Go to Act . com
    highlight support to bring down list
    click Knowledge Center
    Click Act6 / Act for Palm OS
    go down the page and click Discussion Groups
    Go to bottom of page and either Sign In or Register or Sign in As guest
    Go to bottom of Discussion Groups Page and click OK
    you can now read and or comment.

Curt
    Curt

Hub,
    In your post, Josh Tijerina, stated that "I do believe act link 2.0 will work on the Treo 650." Where can I get this version? I have Act 2005 Installed and would like to synchronize it with the my Treo 650. It starts synchronizing with the Treo 650, but after 1/3 of the records, it says that the Treo is out of memory. I have pulled every single off of it and have installed a SD Card to offload whatever I can.
    Any thoughts, tips, tricks? I've tried to follow this thread, but cannot find anything that entirely help. I've hard reset the Treo and uninstalled and reinstalled the Palm software and Palm Link software.

Thanks,

Mark
    Quote Originally Posted by MLinds
    Any thoughts, tips, tricks? I've tried to follow this thread, but cannot find anything that entirely help. I've hard reset the Treo and uninstalled and reinstalled the Palm software and Palm Link software.
    Thanks,
    Mark
    ML; Follow the directions on the post above to the Act site and stop at the knowledge center as it will give you FAQ's and also Docs.
    Curt
    Curt

20. hub
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MLinds
    Hub,
    In your post, Josh Tijerina, stated that "I do believe act link 2.0 will work on the Treo 650." Where can I get this version?
    www.act.com/link20

See my post above. If you have any other database program, like Outlook, you can only sync to one (PalmOne restriction). I finally took everything Act related off my 650 and switched back to syncing with Outlook. I will wait and see if Act releases a fix for the version of Act for Palm that works with 6.0. It's going to be a looooog time before I consider installing Act 2005. I talked to several (3) Act techs yesterday and when I told them I had Act 2005 but was afraid to install it since it had too many bugs, not one of them told me I was wrong.

Proceed with care my friend.
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast