Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1.    #61  
    Colorchange: ACT! (Best Software) has acknowledged that Act for Palm with ACT! 2005 is broken (NOT just on the Treo 650.)

Quote from ACT site: "Please note, ACT! for Palm OS does not work with ACT! 2005 at this time. We are working on the next version of ACT! for Palm OS, to be introduced at a later date. In the meantime, you can use ACT! Link for Palm OS to link data from ACT! 2005 down to your device."

See: http://www.act.com/products/other/palm/

The acknowledgement link might be broken as well.
    ------------
    The site also says that ACT! for Palm OS works with Palm OS versions up to 5.0. It doesn't say it will work with Palm OS 5.4.5 on my Treo 650. Best Software appears to be working on updating ACT for Palm OS.
    ------------
    That said, Act 6 and Palmpilot Link 2.0 works: Calls, meeting and to-dos are synced just fine.
    ------------
    Go to :

Act! for Palm OS vs. ACT@ link 2.0
    for a comparison of ACT! Link 2.0 and Act for Palm OS.
    Last edited by rocketjoe79; 11/27/2004 at 04:57 PM.
    Wow, This is a severe problem for me! I live, eat and breathe ACT, ever since DOS...

The reason I'm still using Windows is because ACT wont run on MAC OS X. It also wont run well under the MAC Win emulator, and now it wont run on the 650.

Is it time to give up ACT or the 650 and my MAC dreams... Sounds like ACT has fallen victim to the dot-com BUST!

Will the version of ACT that was out before 2005 work with the Palm Act software on the 650?

Thanks to all (esp. RocketJoe) for all the good info! Sounds like I will lose no functionality that I have w/ my current set-up.

Slightly OT but ACT-related-- if you have not tried the new release (ACT 2005), I STRONGLY advise that you demo it carefully--ie, play around with it on a dummy database-- before implementing. I fiddled around with it some on my home PC, and, while it has some new features that I like, it is SLOW SLOW SLOW!!! REally not ready for prime-time. BEST software is meant to be releasing a patch in January. I wont touch it again until then, maybe longer...

Oh, very important-- a DB altered on ACT '05 CANNOT be converted back to ACT 6 format!!!
    More info: http://webx.act.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by rouxdoo
    Well, that's good. If I had to do without Act/palm I would have to back out of getting a treo!

Anyone managed to actually talk with anyone at Act about the reality of an updated Act for PalmOS? I never get a response from their "Contact" page.
    I use a seperate progran when syncing Act. It is called Companion Link. I can link 2 Act databases but there are some issues. Need to check to see what changes Companion Link is changing if anything.
    From the ACT! 6.0 Tech Forum:

Document ID: 2004118123158
    Document Title: Does ACT! for Palm OS support Palm OS 5.4?
    Product(s): ACT! 6.0 - PC; ACT! Express; ACT! for Palm OS - 1.0
    Operating System(s):Windows 2000; Windows 98; Windows ME; Windows NT; Windows XP Home; Windows XP Pro

Situation:
    You have a Palm with the New Garnet 5.4 Palm OS on it like Tungsten T5 or Treo 650 and want to know if ACT! for Palm OS will support this hardware.

Solution:
    The Palm Tungsten T5 or Treo 650 with the Garnet 5.4 Palm OS, Palm Desktop 4.1.4, and HotSync Manager 6.0.1 combination has not been tested with ACT! Link for Palm OS and is therefore not supported.
  6. hub
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stokar
    From the ACT! 6.0 Tech Forum:

Document ID: 2004118123158
    Document Title: Does ACT! for Palm OS support Palm OS 5.4?
    Product(s): ACT! 6.0 - PC; ACT! Express; ACT! for Palm OS - 1.0
    Operating System(s):Windows 2000; Windows 98; Windows ME; Windows NT; Windows XP Home; Windows XP Pro

Situation:
    You have a Palm with the New Garnet 5.4 Palm OS on it like Tungsten T5 or Treo 650 and want to know if ACT! for Palm OS will support this hardware.

Solution:
    The Palm Tungsten T5 or Treo 650 with the Garnet 5.4 Palm OS, Palm Desktop 4.1.4, and HotSync Manager 6.0.1 combination has not been tested with ACT! Link for Palm OS and is therefore not supported.
    Is there a spot on the Act web site to register a complaint or something to get them going on fixing it? I want them to fix the current Act for Palm - the one that works with Act 6.0. I do not want to switch to Act 2005. Everything I've read says it is a piece of c**p.
    I have been writing to a Senior Sales Engineer at Act Corporate Sales CRM Division of best Software, Inc.
    I have thought it important to address small simple issues and not innendate with every problem or wish under the sun.
    So I have been asking for 5 way function, and an email hot button for Act for Palm on the Treo 600.
    He actually wrote me in August and indicated that the Treo 600 "might be in the scope". Not much os a direct answer, but at least an answer from a company that is supposed to be in the contact management business and they have nothing that really and truely is designed for todays smartphone which is what "all" the road warriors are using.
    I would suggest that we ALL email him from our Treos.
    I would suggest a unified plea for at least Act 6.0 with both Act for Palm and Act Link functioning with both the Treo 600 & 650.
    It seems that Act 2005 is so screwed up that the timing makes no sense interms of the urgency we have to get at least a working version on the 650.
    Send Emails to: Clifford Roberts... address is clifford.roberts@act.com
    Curt
    Curt

StarTAC ST7868W w/ Motorola StarTAC Clipon Organizer; Treo 600; Treo 700P; Palm Pre Plus all on Verizon
    To: clifford.roberts@act.com
    Subj: Treo 600 & 650

Clifford:
    You may remember that I wrote you in July and August that the Act 6.0 / Act for Palm worked on the Treo 600, but the program did not recognize the 5 way navigation button and that the tap-tap stylus was old technology.

Well, now we have the new Treo 650, and even Act 6.0 / Act for palm, as well as any Link program WILL NOT WORK..

The Treo series is rated as the best PDA smartphone by almost every source, and Act will not work on the 650 at all!

The similator for the 650 has been out for months, the Treo 600 has been out for over a year!

Think about it number one rated, better than Black Berry, and Act cannot even sync name and address!
    Now it isn't a matter of wishing there was a better way,it is a matter of choosing which one I have to use amoung the ones that do work.
    Shame on Act. Please give us a fix for the Treo 650, for at least a temporary basis
    Curt
    Curt

StarTAC ST7868W w/ Motorola StarTAC Clipon Organizer; Treo 600; Treo 700P; Palm Pre Plus all on Verizon
    Quote Originally Posted by curtarmy
    I have been writing to a Senior Sales Engineer at Act Corporate Sales CRM Division of best Software, Inc.
    I would suggest that we ALL email him from our Treos.
    Curt
    Actually, I suggest writing him from your corporate address:

Mr. Roberts,
    We are currently evaluating contact management software for deployment on the Palm platform to our field reps. Because we have been using Act! until recent compatibility issues have made this impossible I would like to solicit your opinion on whether your software will be updated to reflect our current needs. Please respond to this address if you would like to discuss our purchasing plans.
    Act! has been neglecting the Apple Mac crowd for years! There are FAR MORE Mac users in this world than there are 650 users.

I think that our plea will go un answered, or at least receive the answer "no".

Sorry guys, Act seems to be old technology once again...

I'm bummed out because this is the deal breaker for me... I sure would like the nice screen on the 650, but I'll be sticking with what works, my old 600 and the old Act.
    Act! has been neglecting the Apple Mac crowd for years! There are FAR MORE Mac users in this world than there are 650 users.

I think that our plea will go un answered, or at least receive the answer "no".

Sorry guys, Act seems to be old technology once again...

I'm bummed out because this is the deal breaker for me... I sure would like the nice screen on the 650, but I'll be sticking with what works, my old 600 and the old Act.
    Stokar The answer NO would be fine for me, then I can make a decision and set up something different in our office. Right now I have two inside sales guys, and an office staff using Act 6.0. If Act is getting out of the business (which it seems like to me) then just say so and I will move on and use the next best program. For now I have everyone trained, or more acurately my office has me trained, on proceedures using Act 6.0. We made a decision to not upgrade to ACT 2005 because of the known problems and we would not be able to sync our two Treo 600s. So we stayed with Act 6.0 and Act for Palm and of course I bought a couple packets of stylus because you cannot run Act for Palm without them.
    I hope everybody emails them everyday until they are forced to do something.

I personally have left communications in their discussion area which have gone unanswered for a week now, sent request for features, and I have sent this Clifford Roberts some five or six emails total. All since July 20 or so.

Probably when Verizon come out with the 650, I will make a decision, and my bet today is that my Treo 650 will cost about $5,000 ($500 for the Treo and the rest for a new program throughout the office to replace Act 6.0 and the associated lost time training on the new program. But if we can move forward as a company it is a good investment for us.

Send those emails until we here from them.

Curt
    Curt

Right now, the only option we have (maybe) is act 6.0 adn act link 2.0 to 2-way synch to out 650. I will try this setup on Monday.
    Curt,

What other program out there would work like ACT?

Perhaps it's time for me to take a closer look at "the next best thing"...

Prefferably it would be a program with a smooth migration in place from ACT and the potential to move to MAC osX when the time comes...
    What other program out there would work like ACT?
    Perhaps it's time for me to take a closer look at "the next best thing"...
    I don't have my 650 yet, but am pretty bummed. As far as I'm concerned a Palm is really just an Act! appliance. Was looking forward to having only one gizmo to recharge every night; it looks like I will need to carry a Palm along with my Treo!!

It's been so long since I even considered using the built-in Palm PIM apps that I had forgotten just how truly awful they are. Imagine - an appointment or task that isn't linked to a contact - unbelievable! Trying to make customer follow-up calls without their history in front of you - impossible!

All of the "Enterprise CRM" guys claim to have mobile device compatibility, but none of their web sites are very specific...no free demo's that I could see. The best hack I can come up with is to sync Act to Outlook ($195) and then use something like Beyond Contacts on the Palm.

What a PITB!!
    I have just tried act link 2.0 from act 6.0 and I am getting desktop to treo 650 synch ONLY!

UGHH!!!
  16. hub
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    I emailed Clifford this morning but don't know if I will ever hear back. My biggest complaints are:

Act for Palm has taken over my Phone button and there is no way to change it back.

Whenever I look at a note and then tap Done my 650 reboots.

Is there a way to fix this without waiting for Act to do something?
  17. hub
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Now it's worse. Now I can't even open Act. It reboots the minute I try to launch it. Doesn't anyone have any idea's. I'm desperate!
    hub:

Mine rebooted when I tried to enter anything. I removed the software. Right now I feel stranded. Very limited act functionality. I will hope act for palm gets updated and pray it works with act 6.0 as 2005 (7.0) is terrible!
    Since we all agree that ACT has messed everyting up with their product and it will be years before they fix it, how about this program.

Prophet from Avidian Technologies wwww.avidian.com

This is part of Outlook and Palm just released a conduit for outlook for the new 650. Does anyone have any input on this program?

I am disgusted over the junk from ACT!
  20. hub
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    I wrote to Clifford Roberts, clifford.roberts@act.com, again today. Here is what I said:

"Yesterday I wrote you because my Treo 650 would reboot whenever I tried to enter a new event and when I clicked Done after I had looked at the details of an existing note, in addition to taking over my Phone/Send and Calendar buttons. Now, I canít launch AFP at all! When I try to launch it, it reboots. I just spent $40.00 for Act for Palm, as well as $600 for my Treo Ė which I bought specifically for use with Act. This problem has to be fixed NOW.

If you check out www.treocentral.com, under the thread entitled "Anyone Using Act!", you will find that there is a major uprising concerning these problems. There are a lot of corporate users buying the Treo 650 who are also using Act! This community needs to hear what Best is going to do about these problems that make Act for Palm unusable.

I hope to find that Best is more responsive to its customers than Symantec was."

I believe that everyone needs to inundate him with emails. Act needs to know the level of dissatisfaction we have.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast