Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    This just appeared yesterday on Act's website. I have been poking at them pretty much daily because I depend on Act so much. They are not very communicative about their development schedule, but this is a hopeful sign:
    http://www.act.com/products/other/palm/notify/
  2. hub
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rouxdoo
    This just appeared yesterday on Act's website. I have been poking at them pretty much daily because I depend on Act so much. They are not very communicative about their development schedule, but this is a hopeful sign:
    http://www.act.com/products/other/palm/notify/
    I tried the link. When I put in my email address and clicked I got a page that said The page you requested is no longer valid. So how does this provide a hopeful sign?
  3. hub
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mc2714
    Man, 'm getting confused, too. What I think you're saying is that using both ACT for Palm (ie-standalone) AND ACT Link (synch conduit) or Intellisynch can cause problems, right?

To answer your question, you might still use Intellisynch for Outlook, Lotus, etc, even if you have ACT for Palm

How is standalone ACT for Palm, speedwise on the 650? It is a bloated, slow piece of .... on my crusty old 505.
    How would you tell the 650 to sync to Act for Palm for Act and to sync using Intellisync for the other apps?
    Your Act manual explains it clearly.
    Act for Palm is a program that starts out as part of Act 6.0. In Act on your PC, you go through a setup program telling Act (Act for Palm), what your Treo's name is and who it belongs to and what portion (group) of the PC Act database you want to sync with your Treo. You also tell it to send info from the PC the first time. Then the first time, it installs a program in the Treo (Act for Palm OS) and copies all of your 60 fields plus to-do's and calender histories, and everything.
    When you start up our Treo, you will have the Act for Palm program in your launcher and in that program, you will have all your contacts and histories and seperate Act calendar and seperate todo from the Treo calendar. You do not use Act Link in this case. And there will be nothing in your Treo contacts (from this sync w/Act).
    When you press the sync button, your palm desktop program syncs all of your Treo functions with the desktop and also starts any third party program syncs (Docs to Go, Act for Palm OS, etc.).
    I have a Treo 600 and it works great in terms of sync and moving stuff back and forth between the Treo and the PC.
    You can find varing answers about act for palm works correctly on a 650. Based on the responses on this thread alone it is clear that at least there are missunderstandings.
    It is also clear that today, the only combination that will work completely between the Treo and PC is Act 6.0 and Act for Palm (with two fixes downloaded from act.com ...fix 1.01 & telephony fix), and it is known that this program works on a 600. Any thing with Act Link, will work with Act 6.0 & the Treo contacts but only a very limited number of the 60 Act fields will sync both ways. Simply discribed as name and address and phone. No histories or calendar or other fields will sync with Act Link between the Treo contacts and the PC act. Using Act Link and Treo contacts makes no sense to me except to give you caller ID and auto email name insertion into SMS.
    Well that ought to confuse the rest.
    Curt
    Curt

StarTAC ST7868W w/ Motorola StarTAC Clipon Organizer; Treo 600; Treo 700P; Palm Pre Plus all on Verizon
    Quote Originally Posted by hub
    I tried the link. When I put in my email address and clicked I got a page that said The page you requested is no longer valid. So how does this provide a hopeful sign?
    Perhaps I should have inserted the page from which you can find the link:
    http://www.act.com/products/other/palm/

" Please notify me when the next version of this product is available."
    Quote Originally Posted by hub
    How would you tell the 650 to sync to Act for Palm for Act and to sync using Intellisync for the other apps?
    I should keep my mouth shut-- its been too long since I used Intellisynch to say anything worthwhile on that...
    Quote Originally Posted by curtarmy
    Any thing with Act Link, will work with Act 6.0 & the Treo contacts but only a very limited number of the 60 Act fields will sync both ways. Simply discribed as name and address and phone. No histories or calendar or other fields will sync with Act Link between the Treo contacts and the PC act. Using Act Link and Treo contacts makes no sense to me except to give you caller ID and auto email name insertion into SMS.
    Well that ought to confuse the rest.
    Curt
    My current set-up (ACT 6, ACT Link and an m505) will synch notes and history, along with some fields from ACT (somewhat customizable). Is the notes/history functionality eliminated with the Treo? I find that hard to believe...

This may have been answered elsewhere, but how is the memory consumption with Act for PAlm? How is the speed with the new processor? Nost importantly, does caller ID work? Thanks
  8.    #48  
    Using Act 6 and Act Link 2.0 I was able to get all 3000 contacts loaded to the Treo 650, along with 10 notes per contact. As for any functionality, I can create an appointment with a contact on the Treo and it DOES Hotsync Addresses and Activities!!

My DB sizes are Address: 3k, Contacts: 191K, Phone: 683K. Go figure - 3000+ contact records only take 191K?!?

I realize I'm not getting ALL my ACT! data into the Palm, but just the ability to phone any of the 3000 names is priceless. With decent calendar sync, I can now live wth the new Treo 650.

The 300 is DEAD! Long Live the 650! The New King of Convergent devices!

(Yes, I still had the venerable Treo 300 before updating.)

Cheers,
    Rocket
    Rocket:
    You have NO 2-way synch with the 650 from any program that will get back to act on your PC.

CurtArmy:
    Yes, you are correct about the 600 and act. They worked perfectly after the updates. With the 650, you have one way synch (PC to 650). No 2-way synch exists.

Tim
  10.    #50  
    Sir, I beg to differ - see my above post - I'm getting two-way transfer of appointments, at least, between ACT and my Treo. Create an appointment on the Treo, Sync, it shows up in ACT! and vice versa. I haven't tried to-do's or calls yet, that's going to have to wait till tomorrow.

Cheers,
    Rocket
    [QUOTE=rocketjoe79]Using Act 6 and Act Link 2.0 I was able to get all 3000 contacts loaded to the Treo 650, along with 10 notes per contact. As for any functionality, I can create an appointment with a contact on the Treo and it DOES Hotsync Addresses and Activities!!

Have you tried entering a note on your treo, and syncing with act? Will notes upload from the treo to act?
    It seems to add up to the following
    Curtarmy and Braincell running Act 6.0 and Act for Palm on 600 and 650 respectively. No problems.
    Rocket running Act 6.0 and Act Link. No problems (known limited fields).
    Everybody else either asking questions or using something other than Act for Palm and Act 6.0 (ie. Intelisync, Act 2005, Act 7.0). Did we miss anyone in the tally?
    Curt
    Curt

StarTAC ST7868W w/ Motorola StarTAC Clipon Organizer; Treo 600; Treo 700P; Palm Pre Plus all on Verizon
  13. hub
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Thanks a bunch from all of you who responded to my question.

One other matter: Can Act for Palm and the data be installed on a SD card or must it be installed in RAM on the 650? Just trying to avoid the memory issue everyone is talking about.
    Rockit:
    Wow, looks like I am wrong. I will try it. I was using Act for palm (for 6.0) with act 6.0 and act for palm takes over some of your keyboard and whenever you try to enter anything on the 650, it resets. I will try act link 2.0. Man do I hope you are right! Can you add to-dos and meetings from the 650 and get them to your act desktop?

Curtarmy:
    Please confirm as I am wildly confused? You are running act 6.0 and act for palm and you can enter to-dos, meetings, etc. on the 650 and they will synch back to the desktop? Act for palm also does not take over your buttons? I sure hope you are right. If so, I will try to load the software again.
    Curtarmy said: "Curtarmy and Braincell running Act 6.0 and Act for Palm on 600 and 650 respectively. No problems."

Curtarmy is running on a Treo 600 (Post #36 & 45) and Braincell (post #27) is running on a Treo 650.

In post # 49 & 51, Rocket says he is using Act 6.0 and Act Link on a Treo 650. It is known and stated that Act link does not work with all 60 Act fields. Just name and address and some limited other fields.
    Curt

OK, so it sounds like Act for palm and the 650 don't work. Braincell never confirmed his post. I think we all know Act for palm works great on the 600 with the upgrades.

Now, I will try Actlink 2.0 and the 650 and see if it works for me. I don't need full adresses but need meetings and todo's.
  17. hub
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    I am using Act 6.0.3.679 and Act for Palm 1.0.1 including all updates. I am disappointed that it appears the sync is one way, but my big problem is that when I tap a note so I can see the entire note it opens fine, but when I tap Done or Cancel, the 650 reboots, even though I did not change anything. THAT is a super pain in the a**. Any suggestions about how to fix that problem?
    colorchange, hub: so that I understand completely - Act for Palm (the palm program, not the conduit) crash the 650? This is a deal breaker for me. Good thing I just ordered the demo from Vienna Channels because I have no use for a Plam that won't run Act!
  19. hub
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rouxdoo
    colorchange, hub: so that I understand completely - Act for Palm (the palm program, not the conduit) crash the 650? This is a deal breaker for me. Good thing I just ordered the demo from Vienna Channels because I have no use for a Plam that won't run Act!
    It does crash Act if you try to put in a new call/appointment, etc. and when you try to close a note after reading it.
  20. hub
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Act for Palm has taken over my green phone button. How can I get rid of that? In the prefs screen under Buttons it says Phone for that button and does not even allow changing it, but when I push it I get Act.

I did go in and map the Calendar button to Phone (Act had taken that over too) So now I have Act on the Phone button and Phone on the Calendar button. This is not good.

Have you ever noticed how any program that was ever touched by Symantec takes over the device it is installed on, PC or handheld?

My main reason for getting the 650 was the Act application, but now its screwing up everything else.

HELP!
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast