Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbdd
    Please don't flame me....but why is it when someone who has a basic question, it appears to be ignored, if it isn't Techie enough?

Sometimes it seems that this board has an elite group, that forget there are some of us who'd like to learn too.
    I think that both Felipe and Advance have now answered your question.

Now to address your DVD Player issue. I'm going to make a couple of assumptions:
    1. If you have a Treo, you have a USB connector on your PC
    2. If you can afford a Treo, you can afford one of these:
    External DVD
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    This is all regarding Pocket DVD.

I got it to work fine on my laptop. Here's some questions: On the first page it has a 'slider' for "Movie Quality & Size" I slid it to 314 mb, what have you done?

Under your 'Video' heading you had "400x304". I didn't see anywhere this could be selected.

Why did you say start the movie for a couple of seconds then pause?

There are six 'crops', which did you select? I selected what appears to be 4:3 format, the third from the left.

Now that I've started to record it's stuck on 10 seconds of record time. How quickly does your record?
    On the slider, if I keep at least half-way or greater the movies look good.

I have found that the resolution settings appear to change somewhat with the DVD's that are being ripped. If widescreen the options vary the most. What I have done is pick a resolution that is over 320 for the second side, (example: I just ripped Walking Tall, which is widescreen, and I chose the setting of 576x336. The output file was 562mb. Once I put it through SmartMovie Converter with the setting of 320x320, the file was around 150mb.

On the crop in Pocket DVD, I have been using the far right one. That appears to fill the screen fully.

In SmartMovie, I have been selecting "Crop Mode: No"

With the settings I have been using, the quality on the Treo 650 is great. The sound syncs perfectly as well.
    Thanks, John. Looks like I may have screwed up my first one b/c I have the 3rd box from the left checked. But, like I said, it is a learning curve. Again, appreciate your input.
    Thanks, John. Looks like I may have screwed up my first one b/c I have the 3rd box from the left checked. But, like I said, it is a learning curve. Again, appreciate your input.

I have wasted numerous ones as well. I did start doing only around 5 to 10 minutes and seeing how that works going through the entire process. That has helped me get closer to the settings I want to use.
    MMPlayer tells me that the bitrate that I am using is too high. It doesn't seem to matter what settings I have Pocket DVD set at when copying. Is anyone else getting this problem? I'm using a Treo 650 and I can't even use the Treo 600 setting (160X128 resolution).

birdieman54
    I think I may have found the problem. I was attempting to copy "Finding Nemo" but maybe the phone can't handle this movie. I did download "Muppets from Space" just fine.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by birdieman54
    MMPlayer tells me that the bitrate that I am using is too high.
    I just click "Okay" or "Play Anyway" or whatever the pop-up says and go on watching....
    Transferred to Smartmovie converter and it never shows up on the screen. I can hear it, but not see it. When others are using smartmovie converter, can you see the movie while it's converting?
    Transferred to Smartmovie converter and it never shows up on the screen. I can hear it, but not see it. When others are using smartmovie converter, can you see the movie while it's converting?

Yes, I see the movie. It is in fastforward.
    Quote Originally Posted by birdieman54
    MMPlayer tells me that the bitrate that I am using is too high. It doesn't seem to matter what settings I have Pocket DVD set at when copying. Is anyone else getting this problem? I'm using a Treo 650 and I can't even use the Treo 600 setting (160X128 resolution).

birdieman54

Go to "Settings",
    it comes up with "video settings"
    click on that and go to "Performance Warnings"
    click the box OFF next to "too high video bitrate" and you'll never see that worthless warning again.
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Hi, Im deaf. I use a Treo 650 (I work for Sprint Relay). When using Pocket DVD or VirtualDUb..can I rip a DVD AND the subtitles so that I can read the words on the screen while watching the movie (since that is how I watch all DVDs and TV)? Does anyone know if this is possible? Thanks in advance. Ken
    Ken Arcia - deaf Treo user
    Hey kenarcia,

Rip the DVD to your hard drive using DVD Decrypter http://www.dvddecrypter.com/ and use IFO mode.

After that, use Auto Gordian Knot http://www.autogk.net/ to make the DVD fit on your palm (click on the turtorial button for help). One of the setting in "Advanced Settings" is use "Use External Subtitles". Click this and it should work for subtitles.

For size, I customize 45MB for twenty two minutes (if two hour movie, about 250MB) and do a "Fixed width" under the of 320. But since you really will not need the audio, then take audio down to the smallest size so the video looks better.

I ripped the three seasons of Seinfeld to my computer and setup Auto GK to resize them all for my palm (it has a queue, just add jobs and then click start and all jobs will be encoded with the same settings).

This should work, if it doesn't, let me know and I can test it with the subtitles myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by kenarcia
    Hi, Im deaf. I use a Treo 650 (I work for Sprint Relay). When using Pocket DVD or VirtualDUb..can I rip a DVD AND the subtitles so that I can read the words on the screen while watching the movie (since that is how I watch all DVDs and TV)? Does anyone know if this is possible? Thanks in advance. Ken
    Hi, I haven't tried it yet, but it seems to record whatever is on the screen at the time, so I think if you have it play with subtitles within PocketDVDStudio, then it should record it that way.
    I believe i read on PocketDVDStudio you can read the subtitles.
    How do you get SmartMovie to change the resolution to 320 x 320. The only choices I have under options and preferences are 160 x 160 or 320 x 480.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katahdin
    How do you get SmartMovie to change the resolution to 320 x 320. The only choices I have under options and preferences are 160 x 160 or 320 x 480.
    Which Codec are you using for the conversion? If you are not using the Xvid, choose that one and look at the preferences again.
    Wow, after spending hours with SmartMovie, it would not work. I tried on two computers and it would lock up both. I emailed SmartMovie support and they emailed back a canned message that had nothing to do with my problem. The second email they responded for me to get a refund. They have no customer support. I envision it's some kid in his dorm room. I would not recommend it.
    I did select the Xvid codec but when I go to options and preferences, under device it only has two choices. They are the same two choices no matter what codec I select. How do you get around this?
    Wow, after spending hours with SmartMovie, it would not work. I tried on two computers and it would lock up both. I emailed SmartMovie support and they emailed back a canned message that had nothing to do with my problem. The second email they responded for me to get a refund. They have no customer support. I envision it's some kid in his dorm room. I would not recommend it.

I'm sorry I recommended it. I guess I was just one of the lucky ones that have not had any problems with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59
    I'm sorry I recommended it. I guess I was just one of the lucky ones that have not had any problems with it.
    Hopefully I can return the favor with some buggy software for you to use in the future!

You never know how software will work from one Palm or computer to another. The biggest flaw I see with SmartMovie is the support from the developer. This is a huge disappointment. I'm in the process for a refund from Handango and gonna try Kinoma again (used on my 600).
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast