Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast
    I guess while I'm in it I'll say that bluetooth on the 650 get's patched to 1.2 and we could listen to the shows in stereo...
    John,
    There is such a learning curve for each movie software. If you don't mind would you please share the steps involved from ripping the dvd to transferring through the converter along with your settings?
    Thanks,
    ATM

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59
    Around 150mb depending on my settings in Pocket DVD. I keep upping the resolution just to see. I think I have gone into overkill. Coming out of Pocket DVD they are around 500mb the way I am ripping them. Then when they go through SmartMovie Converter, they are between 150 and 200mb. I am ripping at higher resolution in case I might want to watch them on my laptop.
    I have been able to download some clips (pdamovies.com is a good site) and play them (even though the bitrate was too high for mmplayer) but can't figure out how to get my own DVD's onto the Treo. When I put a DVD in my options are only to play it. If I try to rip it to my virtual drive it says the disc is protected. What am I doing wrong? How do I get my own DVDs onto my harddrive for conversion?
    Thanks.

P.S. Check out the downloadable South Park parody of Star Wars on pdamovie.com.
    Last edited by MileHighTreo; 12/23/2004 at 09:38 AM.
    Mile High,
    buy PocketDVD. It is a poc to use, one step. Do search, a lot about it in the multimedia section too.
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
    Can anyone give me some insight into battery life while playing movies? I am flying out tomorrow and have about 3 hours of TV shows on my Treo for entertainment. Any idea how much battery drain to expect?
    Zane
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    John,
    There is such a learning curve for each movie software. If you don't mind would you please share the steps involved from ripping the dvd to transferring through the converter along with your settings?
    Thanks,
    ATM
    I'll use "The Chronicles of Riddick" as my example

1. Use Pocket DVD to rip DVD
    Settings:
    Audio:
    Bitrate: 128KB
    Sampling: 44KHz
    Channel: Joint Stereo
    Volume: 6

Video
    Frame Rate: 24 fps
    Codec: Xvid
    Resolution: 400x304

Play the movie for a second or two, click pause, then click Start Recording.

Duration of movie was 1:57
    The output file size was 548MB

2. Use SmartMovie Converter to get file size down and make adjustments to fit Treo screen better.

Settings:
    (under Preferences)
    Resolution: 320x320
    Check Automatic Framerate control

(Main Screen)
    Video:
    Landscape
    Check Reduce Frames
    Codec: XviD
    Bitrate: 144kbps

Audio:
    check enable if it is not already checked
    Frequency: 22050Hz
    Bitrate: 24kbps (not cd quality but sounds just fine, plus saves
    nearly 100mb on size of output.
    Volume Boost: 120

Output file size was 141mb and it looks and sounds just fine on the Treo.

Used card reader to place movie on SD card.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zvandiver
    Can anyone give me some insight into battery life while playing movies? I am flying out tomorrow and have about 3 hours of TV shows on my Treo for entertainment. Any idea how much battery drain to expect?
    Zane
    When flying (and thus with the radio off) my 650's battery drops about 20% for a ~2 hour movie. I've since downloaded the keyboard light control for the 650 so that should help a little for my next flight.

See also post #78 of this thread for my 600 experience.

ERic
    I have a couple of feature length movies that are in the WMV format. MMPlayer doesn't seem to find them on my card. They are in my photo folder. Does anyone know if MMplayer will play wmv files or if there is another program that will play them? Didn't find anything in this forum addressing this.

Thanks in advance,
    bill
    wayazo@mac.com
    Thank, Eric. I am also using Silverado's great keyboard backlight utility. I will report my experience when I get back.
    Zane
    I bought Pocket DVD and Smart Movie at Handango.com. I unfortunately am having severe problems with Pocket DVD. I figured it would be simple, but the software is having problems recognizing my DVD player. I've emailed the software company in hopes they have a solution. My recommendation to all is do the trial. I doubt I'll be able to get a refund if it doesn't work.

I'll use "The Chronicles of Riddick" as my example

1. Use Pocket DVD to rip DVD
    Settings:
    Audio:
    Bitrate: 128KB
    Sampling: 44KHz
    Channel: Joint Stereo
    Volume: 6

Video
    Frame Rate: 24 fps
    Codec: Xvid
    Resolution: 400x304

Play the movie for a second or two, click pause, then click Start Recording.

Duration of movie was 1:57
    The output file size was 548MB
    I bought Pocket DVD and Smart Movie at Handango.com. I unfortunately am having severe problems with Pocket DVD. I figured it would be simple, but the software is having problems recognizing my DVD player. I've emailed the software company in hopes they have a solution. My recommendation to all is do the trial. I doubt I'll be able to get a refund if it doesn't work.

I have had to start playing the DVD in WinDVD or Windows Media Player. Once I did that, Pocket DVD recognized it okay.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    I have had to start playing the DVD in WinDVD or Windows Media Player. Once I did that, Pocket DVD recognized it okay.
    Yep, sometimes I have to do that too.
    Well I have Windows Media Player, and dvd's work in it. But it doesn't recognize WMP as an option. Did you do anything to make Pkt DVD recognize Windows Media?
    Well I have Windows Media Player, and dvd's work in it. But it doesn't recognize WMP as an option. Did you do anything to make Pkt DVD recognize Windows Media?

If you have WinDVD, try that. I have trouble getting WMP to play my DVD's. I don't think I have the right Codec installed for WMP to play DVDs.
    This is all regarding Pocket DVD.

I got it to work fine on my laptop. Here's some questions: On the first page it has a 'slider' for "Movie Quality & Size" I slid it to 314 mb, what have you done?

Under your 'Video' heading you had "400x304". I didn't see anywhere this could be selected.

Why did you say start the movie for a couple of seconds then pause?

There are six 'crops', which did you select? I selected what appears to be 4:3 format, the third from the left.

Now that I've started to record it's stuck on 10 seconds of record time. How quickly does your record?
    Tried it again and paused this time and it's working - looks like it wil take a bit of time.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbdd
    Is there a site you can purchase full length movies to download and play on the 650?

Pocketmovies is good for trailers.....

I don't have a DVD player on my computer
    Please don't flame me....but why is it when someone who has a basic question, it appears to be ignored, if it isn't Techie enough?

Sometimes it seems that this board has an elite group, that forget there are some of us who'd like to learn too.
    Please don't flame me....but why is it when someone who has a basic question, it appears to be ignored, if it isn't Techie enough?

Sometimes it seems that this board has an elite group, that forget there are some of us who'd like to learn too.
    maybe no one has an answer, and didnt want to say?

i doubt you will be able to by movies to put on an sd card until there is some drm in place.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Not legally.

Is there a site you can purchase full length movies to download and play on the 650?

Pocketmovies is good for trailers.....

I don't have a DVD player on my computer

I'm am a self proclaimed ***** with computers. I stumble through directions until I learn it. Once learned (usually by writing all of the steps down on paper) I won't forget. You should consider investing into a dvd player for your computer and trying. By then I should have a full understanding and could help you through the steps. I do disagree with your statement, look at John H who has posted several posts helping me out. PM or post here if you have any questions.
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast