Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Tried the free trial of Kinoma. It works with everything...except that actual MP4 playback. You're not allowed to try that due to some licensing restriction Kinoma hasn't worked out yet -- it only works in the full version.

And, by the way, the full version does not support standard DivX or XVid.

Right back to MMPlayer for me. I'd love a more professional player, but Kinoma manages to be professional but light years behind in tech. Ah well.

For those who were asking, playback on the 650 is gorgeous. If you do use your Treo for watching video, you will be stunned at the difference between the 600 and the 650.
    I spent all last night playing around, and I was able to encode a native Mpeg-4 H.263 stream for the built in player using MPEGable X4 live. The original MPEG2 was 352x480 (18mb), and the MPEG4 was 320x240 (3mb). I just dropped the following in my DCIM folder on the SD card and it showed up:

http://extreme.infomagic.net/static/...aph%202001.3g2

Unfortunately the MPEGable program does not have compatible audio codecs. I found a list of formats the treo would decode here:

http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/W...=4594,CASE=727

Now I'm just trying to find a path that will encode my AVI files to H.263 & ADPCM; QCELP seems proprietary to Qualcomm.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anastrophe
    so, am i the only one who finds the mmplayer interface suckish? i really dislike it. it's a deal killer for me. i run it 'side by side' with ptunes, and there's just no comparison - and i'm talking about ease of use, not pretty skins.
    A while back, I would have tended to agree with you. But since I started using the "plain.xml" skin (bundled in the .zip file) I'm a huge fan. Be sure you're checking the "use buttons" option that lets you zoom in/out (buttons #1 & #2), control rotation (button #3) and scroll through the other settings (button #4) and adjust them (5-way up/down) all while the video is playing. Also, a simple tap of the screen hides/unhides all the GUI controls.

ERic
    Quote Originally Posted by ERicJ
    A while back, I would have tended to agree with you. But since I started using the "plain.xml" skin (bundled in the .zip file) I'm a huge fan. Be sure you're checking the "use buttons" option that lets you zoom in/out (buttons #1 & #2), control rotation (button #3) and scroll through the other settings (button #4) and adjust them (5-way up/down) all while the video is playing. Also, a simple tap of the screen hides/unhides all the GUI controls.

ERic
    hey, thanks for the tip! i was using the 'black' skin, which i'd thought was the default, not sure why. plain is excellent. i think i'm sold now!
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    <a href=http://www.anastrophe.com>www.anastrophe.com</a>
    A previous poster had complained of audio lag. I had this problem in mmplayer as well. However, you can toggle through a series of mode adjustments by pressing the "end" button on the treo, such as audio levels and shifting the video left or right. One of the settings is a/v sync. By clicking on the 5 way up or down while the video is playing, you can get the audio to match up with the video. Fairly easy, but it is difficult to find the first time. Hope that helps someone with audio lag problems.

Clue
    Is it possible for one of our many clever hackers to write a plug-in/hack to:
    a) Enable "Pics and Videos" to play other video formats (DivX, avi, etc.)?
    b) Prevent the Palm Install Tool from converting these files to .asf?
    A couple of things...

I was given access to a copy of Kinoma 3 EX (including MPEG4 playback) by the developer but I haven't had a lot of luck creating videos clips as good as that Shrek 2 AVI trailer that I linked to earlier in this thread. Of course, I didn't create that Shrek 2 clip myself, so this could simply be because I'm not good at this sort of thing yet and/or the source video I'm using is too lossy already. For the folks who are saying that Kinoma 3 EX looks wonderful, would you mind emailing me some sample clips (under 10MB). Send them to scott AT tapland.com

As for other MMPlayer alternatives, I can tell you that SmartMovie has a decent interface that seems extremely stable and, for the most part, makes good use of the Treo's D-Pad. It plays AVI files, like MMPlayer. With other clips I've played, the quality between the two look identical. However, the Shrek 2 clip has problems, which lead me to believe that MMPlayer is more lightweight/efficient.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Have you done anymore research?

Quote Originally Posted by woolstar
    I spent all last night playing around, and I was able to encode a native Mpeg-4 H.263 stream for the built in player using MPEGable X4 live. The original MPEG2 was 352x480 (18mb), and the MPEG4 was 320x240 (3mb). I just dropped the following in my DCIM folder on the SD card and it showed up:

http://extreme.infomagic.net/static/...aph%202001.3g2

Unfortunately the MPEGable program does not have compatible audio codecs. I found a list of formats the treo would decode here:

http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/W...=4594,CASE=727

Now I'm just trying to find a path that will encode my AVI files to H.263 & ADPCM; QCELP seems proprietary to Qualcomm.
    **ATTN: SHADOWMITE (or any other treo hackers)**
    I have a few custom ROMs downloaded from the hacking thread, and I was looking in them and noticed PRCs for the MPEG decoder. Would it be possible to add codecs for DivX, Xvid, .avi, and other video/audio formats?
    Does Kinoma not read .avi files? That would suck. What software is out there that has the capability of playing a movie? Kinoma, mmplayer, the one already on the phone, any others?
    I don't know if Kinoma reads .avi's or not, but I would like to see that functionality (and others) added to the Pics&Vids app. The main reason is that to watch anything in that app, you have to hotsync it, which takes quite a while because the palm install tool actually converts the file into a different format. It would be nice to simply be able to use a card reader to export the movies.
    Why cant hotsync syn large files in the media folder?? It always times out from this!

Thanks!

A
    I tried SmartMovie and it is working like a charm so far. I could never get the audio sync right with MMplayer. With SmartMovie The sync is great. I am using Pocket DVD to Palm to rip DVD's, then I run them through SmartMovie Convertor and have had no problems. I have done 5 movies so far. I do use a card reader to transfer.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59
    I tried SmartMovie and it is working like a charm so far. I could never get the audio sync right with MMplayer. With SmartMovie The sync is great. I am using Pocket DVD to Palm to rip DVD's, then I run them through SmartMovie Convertor and have had no problems. I have done 5 movies so far. I do use a card reader to transfer.
    What size are the movies after being ripped and placed on the SD card?
    Quote Originally Posted by leadtrumpetdave
    to watch anything in that app, you have to hotsync it, which takes quite a while because the palm install tool actually converts the file into a different format. It would be nice to simply be able to use a card reader to export the movies.
    Are you sure? I just dropped a couple of mpg files straight onto my sd card, plugged it in on the 650, and played them from Pics and Videos.
    I've never liked mmplayer myself. I've found that the built in video player works amazingly well. All of the videos I have watched so far have been mpegs in 320x240 resolution (standard TV resolution which most videos are already at). So far i've only experimented with a few music videos and a few short clips from pocketmovies. Everything I have tried has worked flawlessly. The video is beautiful and the sound is full and clear. Every video I have tried has played through completely without a single skip, stutter, or error. As for the built control bar, I don't see how it even gets in the way. If a video is at 320X240 resolution and the treo is at 320x320 resolution then there is some room to spare, it merely fills it in. Anyhow, nothing but praise for video on the 650 from me.
    You dont have to hotsync, it is almost better if you use a cardreader or use cardexporter. Also is there a way to get the tool bars from the built in vid player off the screen so you can have full screen vid?

Thanks!

A
    Is there a site you can purchase full length movies to download and play on the 650?

Pocketmovies is good for trailers.....

I don't have a DVD player on my computer
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    What size are the movies after being ripped and placed on the SD card?
    Around 150mb depending on my settings in Pocket DVD. I keep upping the resolution just to see. I think I have gone into overkill. Coming out of Pocket DVD they are around 500mb the way I am ripping them. Then when they go through SmartMovie Converter, they are between 150 and 200mb. I am ripping at higher resolution in case I might want to watch them on my laptop.
    Of course NOW I find this thread, Months ago I spent hours and hours ripping DVD's and converting them to three different format's so that I could then load them into TEAL movie (my peak was incoding simpsons treehouse of horror 13) and I kept thinking man, someone should just release an all in one piece of soft ware to do this stuff... I plan on trying these different items but I have a fun theoretical situation for anyone interested in trying it.

If I recall correctly there are now DVR's that will plug in right to your computer (and tivo's you can access via LAN) now, When I read a review of "the missing sync" (sorry PC guys) there was mention of hotsyncing through LAN but no one can try that on a 650 yet because the WIFI adapter is still so shakey, But should someone be able to get wifi and sync over wifi working and someone were to write an app that would take a DVR's info and convert it into a palm readable format, could you , in theory, watch TV on your phone with a slight (or not so slight) delay?

I hope that made sense.
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast