Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    One of my main reasons for considering the 650 is the better screen (I watch episodes of TV shows on my 600 now using mmplayer during my commute), and I just wanted to hear from those who already have it if it is worth it.

Also, how is the included Pics and Video app? I've heard some good things about it and was wondering how it compares with mmplayer. From what I've read, the built in app will play Divx and Xvid. Just wondering if anyone has been able to encode at higher bitrates for both audio and video with the built in app as opposed to mmplayer. Upon further inspection, it appears the video is converted before being put on the sd card.
    Bottom line is: Can you play xvid or divx AVI files with Pics and Video? And how does it look?
    Quote Originally Posted by handtruck
    Bottom line is: Can you play xvid or divx AVI files with Pics and Video? And how does it look?

Not that I can tell, I open Pics and Video, but do not see the Shrek video that MMplayer plays from my card.
    Blue Skies,
    Wags
    I have payed videos with Pics and Video.

You add the avi to palmone quick install on the SD Card
    Yes, it does work that way, but man is that slow........
    It even took a long time to drag and drop it in to the palm ap, not to mention the slow hot sync. And then it locked up at the end of the sync. Not sure why that happened.
    For MMPlayer, I just copied the file to the SD card, and that took almost no time.
    Blue Skies,
    Wags
    Pics and Video does NOT play AVI files. It plays ASF files. If you copy an AVI file to an SD card using a PC card reader (not Palm quick install utility), the file will be unaltered on the Treo and the Pics and Video application will NOT be able to play it.

The reason some people think they are able to play AVI files is that they drag the AVI into the Palm Quick Install application to install it on the Treo.

Well... The Palm Quick Install application converts any AVI file dragged into it, into a ASF file. That's why install a video this way takes so long. It does play in Pics and Video application on the Treo, but it isn't an AVI any more. It is also bigger in size then the original AVI.

If you want to play AVI files directly (without Palm Quick Install converting the file for you), then you need MMPlayer or some other 3rd party movie viewer application.
    Quote Originally Posted by mogulman
    Pics and Video does NOT play AVI files. It plays ASF files. If you copy an AVI file to an SD card using a PC card reader (not Palm quick install utility), the file will be unaltered on the Treo and the Pics and Video application will NOT be able to play it.
    That's not true. I play .avi files in the Pics&Video application all day long. I made a short clip from a DVD movie from Pocket DVD and it plays in the Pics&Video application. The file extention is .avi
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple xXx
    That's not true. I play .avi files in the Pics&Video application all day long. I made a short clip from a DVD movie from Pocket DVD and it plays in the Pics&Video application. The file extention is .avi
    The name of the file on the SD card is .avi?? I only get videos to show up in Pics&Videos if I move them to the "DCIM" directory on the SD card. Even then Pics&Videos shows a .avi file's icon as a big red X. If I try to select it I get the following pop-up:
    Warning
    Unable to display this video. It may be too large, corrupted or stored in an incompatible format.
    It's a 1M .avi file that plays fine in mmplayer.

BTW: Pics&Videos does play .mpeg files in addition to .asf files.

ERic
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple xXx
    Is this the extension on your Treo 650? Have you verified that the file extension is still AVI while on your Treo using a file manager application or by popping the SD card into a PC?
    Thanks for all the responses! It looks as though Pics and Video will not play .avi files directly, unless someone can tell me otherwise. I mean, I have mmplayer and all, but I was just wondering if it was possible to view avi files. Triple xxx says he was able to, but I'm not sure if the file was converted upon transfer.

So how do videos look on that thing? I hear it looks pretty darn good. Also, I know this has been discussed before for the 600, but what encoding settings are you using virtualdub, or Pocket DVD. Are you making the resolution 320 X (whatever) or still 160 X (whatever), because mmplayer's own website says there might be issues with higher resolution. And what bitrates are you using for video and audio?

Thanks!
    I only get a pink screen with Pocket DVD player... It plays the movie in an active window or something like that but it plays it all chopped.

I am using the latest version 2.02

Anyone else have this issue???
    Latest Version is 2.03

Can some people post their settings for pOcket DVD on the TReo 650.

Crop, Resoltion, Output size, audio, video,
    also length of movie and resulting file size

Thanks
    Lou
    Quote Originally Posted by LouisW
    Latest Version is 2.03

Thanks
    Lou
    I just tried that ne also

I get the movie starting on the menu in an activewindow.. A pink window with the program. The audio is skipping in the menu, and I cant get it to play at all.. the mouse and pointer doesnt react to anything in the active window.

The olc version 1.26 seems fine.. it doesnt have play functions though.

Anyoner else having this issue?

Mike
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LouisW
    Latest Version is 2.03

Thanks
    Lou
    Here's the settings that have worked successfully for me.
    Audio:
    Bitrate - 128KB
    Sampling - 44KHz
    Channel - Joint Stereo
    Volume 6 of 10

Video
    Frame Rate: 24 fps
    Codec: Xvid
    Res: 320x176

Movie length is 2:22:20
    Output size will be 597MB

Here what happens to me. I've been able to successfully watch 3 movies on my t650. I did this little movie for the purpose of this board and posted for your downloading pleasure.

I installed Pocket-DVD Studio for Palm v1.2.6.1. After install I inserted my DVD and ran the software producing the file I named THX1.

I attempted to drag the file onto my 1 gig SD card in numerous ways. Unfortunately the t650 wouldn't read it.

I drug the file into the media section (my SD Card) of the Palm Desktop. It took quite a while for the drag. When it finally finished, I did a hotsync that took about the same amount of time and I worked. The movie played fine in the Pics&Videos software already on the T650.

Upon further inspection, it appears the Palm Desktop converted my original file (I named THX1) to the new file (I named THX2). A side by side viewing comparison shows my original file to me much better at x2 mag and a little better on the Treo.

Original File
    AVI Video - 1193kb - 320x176
    Audio
    - Bit Rate - 128kbps
    - Format MPEG Layer-3
    Video
    - Frame rate - 24fps
    - Date Rate - 46kbps
    - Sample Size - 24bit
    - Compression - XVID

Converted File
    Window Media Audio File - 1533kb - 320x176
    Audio
    - Bit Rate - 457kbps
    - Sample Size - 4bit
    - Channels - 2(stereo)
    - Sample Rate 8kHz
    Video
    - Data Rate - 414 kbps
    - Sample Size - 24bit

I installed the latest mmplayer and copied the original avi file. MMplayer played it on the first try. So, if you want to spend $15 or so on better quality that works, or you can simply use the Pocket DVD and allow the Desktop to convert it to asf. Hope that helps.
    Visor Deluxe, Treo 90, 300, 650, 700P, 700WX, Blackberry 8830 - Sprint
    Realtor - Communications Consultant
    jnjewlz,

The settings you listed worked perfect with my treo 650. I had tried several different settings and the video was always crisp but the audio was never synched properly when playing it back on my treo.

But with the settings you suggested it worked perfectly. They may want to make the that post sticky so people using the pocket dvd software know what setting to use.

I wanted to add some additional information and variations to the settings you provided that work well with my treo 650 as well. They are very minor changes but they work just as well as what jnjewlz posted above.

Audio:
    Bitrate - 128KB
    Sampling - 44KHz
    Channel - Joint Stereo
    Volume 6 of 10

Video
    Frame Rate: 24 fps
    Codec: DIVX 5.1.1 Codec
    Res: 320x224

In any event thanks again for the info. I can finally copy over some of my tivo shows onto my treo and watch them on the train.
    so, am i the only one who finds the mmplayer interface suckish? i really dislike it. it's a deal killer for me. i run it 'side by side' with ptunes, and there's just no comparison - and i'm talking about ease of use, not pretty skins.

are there *any* movie/video players out there that can compete with mmplayer? i'm really reluctant to shell out $$ for mmplayer, but from the gist of this thread, the only other 'alternative' is kinoma, and that uses proprietary formats (i think - hey, i haven't had my coffee yet, gimme a break).
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    <a href=http://www.anastrophe.com>www.anastrophe.com</a>
    GO WITH KINOMA 3 EX!!! It is EXCELLENT for MOVIES!!

Use pocket DVD to convert them to AVI....

Use Kinoma to convert them to mp4 (make sure you change the default Treo 650 setting for audio to STEREO)

Then copy to card or sync.

It looks great.. It sounds great... Not only that, you can make it LARGER with Kinoma.. go FULL SCREEN (A major drawback pics and videos has) and flip the picture any direction.

Kinoma is a WINNER!!

Oh.. The file is also about 30% SMALLER and the quality is actually BETTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeRadio
    GO WITH KINOMA 3 EX!!! It is EXCELLENT for MOVIES!!
    Use pocket DVD to convert them to AVI....
    Use Kinoma to convert them to mp4 (make sure you change the default Treo 650 setting for audio to STEREO)
    Then copy to card or sync.
    It looks great.. It sounds great... Not only that, you can make it LARGER with Kinoma.. go FULL SCREEN (A major drawback pics and videos has) and flip the picture any direction.
    Kinoma is a WINNER!!
    Oh.. The file is also about 30% SMALLER and the quality is actually BETTER!
    more expensive, and if you look at the reviews on palmgear, they are generally not flattering.
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    Quote Originally Posted by anastrophe
    more expensive, and if you look at the reviews on palmgear, they are generally not flattering.
    i see now that 3 EX is different from the freeware one on palmgear. i suppose i'll download the trial and see how it goes, assuming i don't *also* have to buy the producer - if that's the case, it's a $50 package, and that's a non-starter.
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    I bought EX and Producer 3 and I have say that playing high quality MP4 videos from a fast card (Sandisk Ultra II) are amazing. Truly the best I've seen on a handheld no stuttering or problems. Files sizes are also smaller than the same movies formatted for the Treo 600 under Producer 2. While $50 is alot if you don't care about this, it seems a fair price for the quality it produces simply amazing.

FYI, my jaded 14 year old daughter who has grown up with every tech convenience saw me play some yesterday, she said "that's not bad". From her that's a stellar review!

Quote Originally Posted by anastrophe
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Check this out:
    http://www.kinoma.com/compare-player.html

They do still offer a free player without all the new formats. They also have special pricing now.
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast